Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Preview for Neal Adams' Coming of the Supermen #1
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/exclusive-preview-superman-the-coming-of-the-super/1100-154939/

I love that he drew Lois straight out of the eighties. Cool brooch.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Didn't open with sexy naked Superman trying to seduce me while narrating, already a letdown.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I thought the multiple artists really hurt Action Comics this month. Continuity of action seemed confusing in spots because of it, one guy gave Clark a black shirt, Lee was wearing yellow firefighter duds in Kuder's pages and not in someone else's.
Kuder did get some big, nice spreads, but it would've been good for the whole thing to be a showcase for him on their last issue.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 9, 2016

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Preview for Neal Adams' Coming of the Supermen #1
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/exclusive-preview-superman-the-coming-of-the-super/1100-154939/

I love that he drew Lois straight out of the eighties. Cool brooch.

I've read this and it felt like a pretty hyper version of the 90s Super-books, filled with running plots, but crazier and with
that awesome Adams art. It made me wish I liked Henry Cavill's Superman more because the dude looks drawn by Neal Adams.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Not really giving much of a poo poo about any of the Superman related books out there except American Alien.

Speaking of which, #5 is coming out today! Preview up in this fucker:

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/exclusive-preview-superman-american-alien-5/1100-155073/

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
So the current "Superman is dying" plotline seems to be covering multiple comic books. I really only read American Alien and Batman/Superman and Justice League, but goddamn am I lost on what the gently caress is going on.

What other comics are tying into this? Action Comics is I see, but I'm sure I'm missing a bunch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tensokuu posted:

So the current "Superman is dying" plotline seems to be covering multiple comic books. I really only read American Alien and Batman/Superman and Justice League, but goddamn am I lost on what the gently caress is going on.

What other comics are tying into this? Action Comics is I see, but I'm sure I'm missing a bunch.

Super League will take place across two issues of Action Comics, Superman, Batman Superman and Superman Wonder Woman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Super League will take place across two issues of Action Comics, Superman, Batman Superman and Superman Wonder Woman.

Do you ever feel like you're working in an inherently immoral industry?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Do you ever feel like you're working in an inherently immoral industry?

Only when sorting the shipment on Tuesday.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

And that's fine and good, but I mean, I'm trying to figure out where the stuff with ARGUS capturing him and the like took place, because I don't remember that happening in Batman-Superman or Justice League (which dealt/is dealing with Rao).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tensokuu posted:

He's been depowered since Action Comics #41 and just used 'kryptonite chemotherapy' to kill his energy sucked cells and become full-Superman again, but guess what? That wasn't the smartest idea.

I wouldn't go back and read that de-powered Superman stuff, even though the first few Action Comics issues were real nice things (see Clark digging on some corn in my avatar.) There were pay offs to earlier great Greg Pak Action stuff, but it ended up very lame.

Lois and Clark is the thing you might wanna read if you feel like you're gonna follow this story into Rebirth Superman stuff. It's a pretty nice comic, even if you aren't just going in for being goo-goo-ga-ga over old continuity Superman, though his beard is sweet.

Tensokuu posted:

And that's fine and good, but I mean, I'm trying to figure out where the stuff with ARGUS capturing him and the like took place, because I don't remember that happening in Batman-Superman or Justice League (which dealt/is dealing with Rao).

You mean Justice League America? In regular JL he's Negative Superman birthed from the Firepits of Apokolips! :D
ARGUS captured Superman's friends and loved ones in Superman/Wonder Woman. It ended up being the machination of Vandal Savage, as was everything else about him losing his powers. It was also a bad storyline.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 15, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Justice League and Justice League America are in their own little bubbles for the most part right now.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

That's what I wanted to know! Thanks everyone! :D

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Wait, do they not do "See Issue #X of Comic-Series for more info, readers!" Editor's Notes during multi-series events any more?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wade Wilson posted:

Wait, do they not do "See Issue #X of Comic-Series for more info, readers!" Editor's Notes during multi-series events any more?

They're doing the old triangle numbers thing for this one.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Why didn't this book get an Eisner nom. It's head and shoulders above almost anything else DC is putting out right now.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Swillkitsch posted:

Why didn't this book get an Eisner nom. It's head and shoulders above almost anything else DC is putting out right now.

Well, they didn't get anything else nominated either.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
I'm all caught up on Neal Adams' The Coming of the Supermen. Classic art style and bananas plot. Reads a lot like Batman: Odyssey, but more coherent. A fun Superman book.

Really enjoying American Alien, too. The changing art styles are great - some I like more than others - but the story is so engaging. Best Superman plot I can remember in recent years. Glad I picked this one up.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
The return of Post-Crisis Superman as the main Superman kind of makes me want to pick up the books again. Until the Birthright retcon I used to own a copy of every issue of his run from his 1986 introduction on. I even powered through the Electric Superman arc. But I haven't really followed the main continuity since Birthright and don't really want to try and jump into his return not having a single clue what's going on in the new continuity. Doesn't he have his own series wearing a black suit or something? Is that an ok place to begin?

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
Post-Crisis Superman is in Superman: Lois and Clark, so that's probably a good place to jump in. I think they're six or seven issues in, so you should be able to find copies easily enough. Adventures of Superman 451 was my first comic book, and that version of Superman has been my favourite ever since. The New 52 version was OK, but I like Superman being super...endless dark and gloomy stories hasn't made me like the character more, so I hope Rebirth proves a better tack with the more loved versions of the DC Universe characters.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Superman: American Alien is out of continuity, but you should definitely read that too.
To experience the best of New 52 Supes get the first trade of Grag Pak's run. I think that's the best and brightest the character's been written and drawn since All-Star https://www.amazon.com/Superman-Act...&s=books&sr=1-1

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Superman is dead, long live Superman/Super-Man/Superwoman/Supergirl/Superboy/LUTHOR!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The plenitude of Superpeople has me hecka nostalgic for the late '90s Superman Family. It owned bones that it didn't matter if you were Superman, an angel, an engineer in robot suit with a gently caress-off big hammer, or a teen clone with tactile telekinesis powers—if you were willing to stand up for the little guy and do what's right, Superman was proud to call you his equal and was honored that you'd wear his family symbol across your chest.

I thought it was the perfect kind of supporting family for Superman-as-adopted-immigrant and Superman-who-cares-about-your-heart-not-your-skin/powers/clonal genome/fiery malektoplasm/hammer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Squizzle posted:

The plenitude of Superpeople has me hecka nostalgic for the late '90s Superman Family. It owned bones that it didn't matter if you were Superman, an angel, an engineer in robot suit with a gently caress-off big hammer, or a teen clone with tactile telekinesis powers—if you were willing to stand up for the little guy and do what's right, Superman was proud to call you his equal and was honored that you'd wear his family symbol across your chest.

I thought it was the perfect kind of supporting family for Superman-as-adopted-immigrant and Superman-who-cares-about-your-heart-not-your-skin/powers/clonal genome/fiery malektoplasm/hammer.

Yeah, actually, I do miss that. I liked the idea of Superman's family being thematic instead of genetic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Four Score posted:

Superman is dead, long live Superman/Super-Man/Superwoman/Supergirl/Superboy/LUTHOR!

Don't forget Electric Red Superwoman, who judging by the panel in Superman 52 is probably Lana Lang.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Superman Rebirth preview
http://www.newsarama.com/29480-dc-preview-lana-finds-clark-in-superman-rebirth-1-but-which-clark.html

"Your Superman died, huh? Yeah, yeah. How do you feel about mullets?"

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 27, 2016

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Superman Rebirth preview
http://www.newsarama.com/29480-dc-preview-lana-finds-clark-in-superman-rebirth-1-but-which-clark.html

You know what? I liked the N52 Superman, and DC just ignobly killing him off was bad enough, but this is just rubbing our faces in it. "Oh you thought because the old Superman came back from the dead, this one will too? Well gently caress you, he got turned to ash, deal with it"

He better come back, or I'll make an angry post on the internet! :argh:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I read the total opposite. Old Superman saw him turned to dust and is still completely confident in him popping right back out. The issue is pretty much telling you not to worry about it.

e: Unless the comic hard cuts to six months later and "Guess not." Which would be great.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 27, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

I read the total opposite. Old Superman saw him turned to dust and is still completely confident in him popping right back out. The issue is pretty much telling you not to worry about it.

e: Unless the comic hard cuts to six months later and "Guess not." Which would be great.

I think the assumption there is that if Superman begins by assuming with utter confidence that Superman is going to be back, it means Superman is going to having his feelings challenged by being proven wrong, because it's pretty rare for someone to be sure someone is going to come back from the dead and be proven right without some sort of conflict or trial.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

"Listen if you see any cyborgs that seem a lot like Superman, call me."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

"Listen if you see any cyborgs that seem a lot like Superman, call me."

I hope they bring back classic Hank Henshaw. I loved that one of DC's deadliest villains was Reed Richards.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

I hope they bring back classic Hank Henshaw. I loved that one of DC's deadliest villains was Reed Richards.

Have you read Hickman's F4 run? Reed is just a few small steps from becoming Marvel's biggest villain himself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Have you read Hickman's F4 run? Reed is just a few small steps from becoming Marvel's biggest villain himself.

Yeah, that is part of why I love it. It keeps to the universal constant that every Reed Richards is a villain except one even in DC.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I think the assumption there is that if Superman begins by assuming with utter confidence that Superman is going to be back, it means Superman is going to having his feelings challenged by being proven wrong, because it's pretty rare for someone to be sure someone is going to come back from the dead and be proven right without some sort of conflict or trial.

This is my take on it as well. We see him certain that he's gonna come back which is a set up so it'll be that much sadder when he doesn't.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

McCloud posted:

This is my take on it as well. We see him certain that he's gonna come back which is a set up so it'll be that much sadder when he doesn't.

Celebratory "Welcome Back from being dead 1st time" cake just going to spoil. :( Also what happens to Wolf Krypto in all of this?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

He'll either come back, but with different powers/as an energy being and take a new superhero name; or he won't come back to life, but Dad Superman will get his memories and thereafter be treated as Real Superman That I Know by any character who was familiar with either Superman.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Well, there was a process, but Tomasi and Gleason's last project...

One of the life light things is definitely flying off to make someone a new Clark Kent right away. The first Action Comics issue says there's a separate Clark around.
If it hits someone who's not a murderer this time, we might more or less have the character back.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 27, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Alrighty, if I'm intrigued enough by the Rebirth issue to want to maybe pick up ONE (1) of the core Superman books, should I be looking at Action or Superman? I like Lex's costume design, but the stuff with Bearded Superman and Lana was the thing that really caught my attention from the one shot, so... thoughts, goons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Alrighty, if I'm intrigued enough by the Rebirth issue to want to maybe pick up ONE (1) of the core Superman books, should I be looking at Action or Superman? I like Lex's costume design, but the stuff with Bearded Superman and Lana was the thing that really caught my attention from the one shot, so... thoughts, goons?

It's not an easy question before the comics are out.

Superman seems like it'll contain more of the perspective of his family, raising Superboy and such. The team previously worked on Batman and Robin, which did amazingly with that father/son dynamic. Here's an interview with what they're going for: http://www.newsarama.com/29499-rebirth-s-superman-to-explore-father-son-dynamic.html
Superman's family life pre-outting was the subject of the miniseries 'Lois and Clark'. Check that out to see if you care. It helps explain what his situation in the world is.

Action Comics is opening with Doomsday, so is probably going to be more action orientated. We don't have much of an idea what it's going for.

Try both first issues :shrug:

Lana has appeared as a superhero on the cover of Superwoman, so that's where she'll probably live most of the time.
If you want to read some great comics with Lana being an action hero, pick up this trade http://www.amazon.com/Superman-Acti...ics+pak+beneath

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 2, 2016

• Locked thread