Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Magic Love Hose posted:

There is an argument I have with some friends that I'd like to get some thoughts on here:

Can Superman be wrong, and still be Superman?

A lot of people are telling me that no, Superman can't really be in the wrong on something, and that his moral instincts are too sharp. To them, "there is a right and a wrong in the universe and that distinction is not very difficult to make." And moreover, that if Superman ever WAS wrong - even subjectively - it'd be ruinous to the character.

They cite "Grounded." I admit that Grounded - the JMS half, I like the Chris Roberson half a lot - is a convincing argument for How Not To Do Something.

But I fall into the camp of "he can be wrong and, for the sake of drama, sometimes he should be wrong." To me, Superman's moral strength comes not from him always knowing what the right thing is, but from him always making the effort to find out. To me, it's more interesting if he puts a lot of effort into understanding moral dilemmas and resolving them. If he's right, it's because he's thought about something for a long time, probably while walking on the ocean floor or in a slow orbit around the Moon. If he's wrong, then he's a big enough man to admit it and works to make things right. If he just knows, with no real effort, then the drama is lessened. Not eliminated, but it takes a hit.

What do you all think?

I think it's possible to have him be wrong, as long as he always means well and genuinely thinks his actions are for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

So does this person really hate Dean Cain or something?

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Magic Love Hose posted:

Funny you should ask.

I'd like to thank you for introducing me to a webcomic that does humour about comics but isn't written by that utter cock Ryan Sohmer.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Magic Love Hose posted:

Anytime! Is Sohmer that guy who did the 'wisecracking Thing at Kirby's funeral' lump of peanut-filled poo poo?

If that strip was part of a thing called Gutters, then yes.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Swillkitsch posted:

Supergirl looks cute, but what the gently caress is up with her crotch area? Is the top just a shirt and the bottom intended to be some kind of chastity plate? The exposed hips are just bizarre as hell.

Yeah, I kind of miss the skirt. It might have been almost pointless, but this crotchplate seems a little over the top, like they were thinking "now how could we show just that little bit more flesh? I know, let's take Superman's undies and cut the sides away!". That said, the outfit from above the waist looks pretty great. I like how the cape looks, and it's kind of neat to see the Superman Blue logo back in a less stupid context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

God. The Superman armor is the one thing I just really can't stand.

Leaving aside all the extraneous detail and the question of why the man of steel really needs armour, I actually think the red underwear and yellow belt is crucial to his outfit in terms of breaking up the sheer amount of blue with a barrier that's both eye-catching and bright. The red belt tries to achieve the same thing, but doesn't achieve the necessary balance and tips the outfit towards looking mostly blue.

The blue imbalance thing isn't exclusive to this, and I can't help but notice that the movie suit seems to be similar in a lot of ways (though we haven't really seen enough of it CGI'd and colour-corrected up to judge), going with the many lines thing and the belt (adding a red motif around the lower back and upper legs to offset the missing underwear, not dissimilar to what they've done with the new Spider-Man outfit, switching leg-stripes for the belt in a way that's just too fiddly to be iconic).

Overall, looking at the Jim Lee sketch feels like reading so many Project Rooftop contests, I do think that the new outfit is kind of cool-looking, but I question whether it's really right.

• Locked thread