Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AzraelNewtype posted:

Correct.

Incidentally, Justice League #1 is set less than a year later than this story, and he's already in the hilariously awful armor thing there, so this look is unfortunately not long for this world.

God. The Superman armor is the one thing I just really can't stand. He looked so god damned awful in the last page of Supergirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Himuro posted:

My friend suggested I check out some Supes trades since I like Action Comics and Superboy's reboots so much.

He suggested What Happened to the Man of Tomorrow and All Star Superman.

I don't like either one. They're so cheesy and hokey and I don't get the appeal. Maybe this is because I grew up on Marvel, but I just can't get behind superheroes being taken down by toy robots.

Clark Kent's identity is exposed when a bunch of toy superman dolls come alive and blast him. It's such an utterly ridiculous and stupid thing in my opinion, and it's hard for me to take seriously.

I just don't the appeal of fighting enemies called Brainiac and giant robots and aliens. I guess it depends on the context, but in this case it feels like giant orgy of randomness.

Is post-Crisis Superman better?

The thing about Whatever Happened is that it is the ending to a specific era. You can't look at it just outside of that own era, but as the ending to one. Things like the toy superman dolls were a part of that era. It's the goodbye story to a long-running version of Superman that brings together everything that made up that era.

All-Star Superman, at least to me, is best looked at like a mythological story. Don't go into it expecting reality. Look at it like you would any other mythology. I mean, it is literally Superman doing his own version of Hercules' labors. You don't look at it expecting realism and plausibility, you look at it expecting something else.

You may like post-Crisis Superman better but things like Braniac are still around, just in different forms.

What I would recommend you look into if you didn't like those is a Superman story called Superman: Secret Identity. It's a lot more down to Earth and may be more to your taste.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 27, 2011

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is that myth Steel kept referring to well known? I had to look it up.
It seemed to assume you'd already have culturally ingrained knowledge of this steel driver guy, but I guess the story never really left the states.

edit: in the Comixology version I read the shirt looks blue sometimes

but then, not

ee: Here's a screenshot Comicvine had.

Which definitely makes it look like there's been a partial correction in the digital comic.

That seriously makes him look like that older TAS-era Supergirl design.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

Was I the only one bothered by the fact that Morrison pretty much let this new Ubermench slaughter the entire kid superhero universe?

I mean what the gently caress, man. That was pointless and stupid, and it really soured me on the whole issue.

I don't really think it was pointless. The entire issue was being amazingly critical of DC from... basically beginning to end. (I really really doubt it was a coincidence that it used the black Superman.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

redbackground posted:

As an aside, I really wouldn't mind if Action Comics/Morrison just followed and stuck with the exploits of President Superman; I'm already more invested and interested in his character after one issue than what Grant's done with regular Superman from AC #1-8.

To be honest I feel the same way. I might not after a few issues but I found it a really interesting universe to at least look in on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not really sure which is a stupider idea.

Redesigning Bizzaro to be more serious and with a S carved into his flesh or creating a new antagonist who is a grey-skinned anti-Superman but having it not be Bizzaro but rather Original the Character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gatts posted:

Man, why is that anyway? Other writers can't/are scared to try and live up to his ideas/works/concepts?

Sometimes it is because he makes dramatic changes to the status quo and sometimes it is simply that the writers would like to do their own story instead. Morrison has a pretty specific way of writing and not everyone agrees with or enjoys his ideas or concepts. I think it'd be interesting if writers would build off each other, but at the same time there are wonderful stories that exist which flat-out couldn't if someone was forced to keep to a previous writer's ideas.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Cyborg Superman redesign

It looks kind of cool

Oh man. Are they bringing back his clusterfuck of a backstory?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

I remember when it was just the FF but more hosed up.

That will always be the most insane part of the Death and Return of Superman to me.

"Hmm, who should we make our major villain? The one who changes everything, is part of Superman's revival and Green Lantern's fall. I know! Reed Richard's non-Union Mexican counterpart!"

Although I guess it does fit into Hickman's Reed Richards thing that even in the DC universe, Reed is a dick.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I wonder if we'll be getting a real answer about if Doomsday beat the crap out of Superman on the N52 or it was completly different. If it doesn't happened I'd love to know the reasoning behind the aspect, I mean you can't impersonate someone that's alive, can you?

I'm assuming he's just going to be a different guy because keeping his old backstory involves a lot of Hal Jordan stuff they probably just want to leave forgotten.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BobbyDrake posted:

Nope, literally all of the Superman I have ever read is Death and Return, Red Son and Birthright.

Get Superman: Secret Identity.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hey, hey guys. You know what might be a fun book?

A spotlight on Lois only instead of something bad happening, it highlights how she's awesome and kicks rear end and how she, as a human woman, can stand alongside someone like Superman as equals.

Nah, let's just have her get tortured or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

God, I hope so. That was one of the best things in Man of Steel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mongul first appeared in a Superman story. He's a superman villain.

(Okay, it was a Superman and MM story but still.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Squizzle posted:

The plenitude of Superpeople has me hecka nostalgic for the late '90s Superman Family. It owned bones that it didn't matter if you were Superman, an angel, an engineer in robot suit with a gently caress-off big hammer, or a teen clone with tactile telekinesis powers—if you were willing to stand up for the little guy and do what's right, Superman was proud to call you his equal and was honored that you'd wear his family symbol across your chest.

I thought it was the perfect kind of supporting family for Superman-as-adopted-immigrant and Superman-who-cares-about-your-heart-not-your-skin/powers/clonal genome/fiery malektoplasm/hammer.

Yeah, actually, I do miss that. I liked the idea of Superman's family being thematic instead of genetic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

I read the total opposite. Old Superman saw him turned to dust and is still completely confident in him popping right back out. The issue is pretty much telling you not to worry about it.

e: Unless the comic hard cuts to six months later and "Guess not." Which would be great.

I think the assumption there is that if Superman begins by assuming with utter confidence that Superman is going to be back, it means Superman is going to having his feelings challenged by being proven wrong, because it's pretty rare for someone to be sure someone is going to come back from the dead and be proven right without some sort of conflict or trial.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

"Listen if you see any cyborgs that seem a lot like Superman, call me."

I hope they bring back classic Hank Henshaw. I loved that one of DC's deadliest villains was Reed Richards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Have you read Hickman's F4 run? Reed is just a few small steps from becoming Marvel's biggest villain himself.

Yeah, that is part of why I love it. It keeps to the universal constant that every Reed Richards is a villain except one even in DC.

• Locked thread