Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

etcetera08 posted:

Ah okay. I was thinking about this http://dccomics.com/dcu/comics/?cm=20186 which isn't even shipping until next month anyways.
That's the first time it's all been collected in one book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Second after the Absolute volume. :smug:
One normal-sized book. You are right, I had forgotten than an Absolute existed. My shame!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

OK Octopus posted:

One of my favorite Superman stories that I reread from time to time is Action Comics #775, "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" For anyone who hasn't read it, an X-TREME team of Authority-esque super-Punishers starts cleaning up the world in a way that is definitely outside the classical sense of what makes a hero a hero. Superman, who views their actions as a direct affront to what he represents, takes it upon himself to stop them even though he honestly doesn't believe he can.
Which of course led to the bad rear end Justice Leauge Elite.

OK Octopus, are you aware of the animated feature version of Action 775 (Superman Vs. The Elite) coming out next year?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Illvillainy posted:

"A Tower of Babel of indecipherably."
I wanted to smack that line.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

horsepeen posted:

We don't actually see how he changes. To me, it just seems unlikely that a metal costume would be under that, but maybe I'm just overanalyzing.
Retractable sleeves.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Magic Love Hose posted:

But asides from 52 I've never read a Steel story that really gripped me, though if they're going to make him this prominent going in that might change. Does anyone have any recommendations?
DC: The New Frontier is the best thing I can think of, even though it's not really what you're looking for.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
..with a Ha-La here and a Ha-La there...

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Magic Love Hose posted:

That close-up of Superman flying was a little weird perspective-wise.
That page was sort of crazy/wonderful, and reminded me of the very final shot of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Of course I can't find a pic online, but if you've seen the movie, you know it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I don't really think it was pointless. The entire issue was being amazingly critical of DC from... basically beginning to end. (I really really doubt it was a coincidence that it used the black Superman.)
As an aside, I really wouldn't mind if Action Comics/Morrison just followed and stuck with the exploits of President Superman; I'm already more invested and interested in his character after one issue than what Grant's done with regular Superman from AC #1-8.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Realism posted:

Oh man, I think I'm reading one of the best Superman arcs right now. At least it's already one of my favorite.
Sounds cool--Could you specify which issues and from what titles this encompasses?

edit: never mind, found it

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 30, 2012

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Hey, it's teenage Nathan Explosion!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Space_Butler posted:

Some rumor mongering from you-know-who, but he's claiming that Andy Diggle might be taking over Action Comics from Morrison. I'm not at all familiar with his work, is this potentially a good thing or should I be prepping to drop AC from my pull list after January?
The Losers is the only thing of his I've read, and it was pretty danged good (not sure how much of that was Jock's doing). I would say it probably wouldn't be terrible, but don't go in expecting the best Superman run ever.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Flameingblack posted:

Well of course, Volume 2 trades aren't out yet. I'd prefer the whole Morrison one in one collection though.
Give DC about 2 years.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Absolute Action Comics coming in 2022
That's way too soon.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I think I liked Sholly's backup more than the main issue, which was already pretty great!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Oh no I think that Vartox was one of the worlds that got destroyed. The DCU is a little worse off than it was before :smith:
It says only 2 worlds put up a fight, but with Vartox, Super Turtle, and Jor-El, that's three. If a flying, caped, and really angry shellhead doesn't count as "unexpected resistance", I don't know what does. d00gz, what am I missing.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 5, 2012

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised they didn't go with Silver Linings Superman.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Shameless posted:

Aaaaand, Diggle's just tweeted he's off Action already. He says it was for professional reasons which reads to me like editorial interference.
Amazing. And TD is writing now, too? DC needs a talent influx, stat.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 20, 2013

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SirDan3k posted:

Whatever you just aren't with it like the cool cats at DC who are totally like in tune with the youth man. You need hip names like Mindstorm and Harvest to grab the youth market.
Whoa, what? You see, I am 15 year old "baller" and this Mindstorm sounds "totes illin'!" Time to get on the DC train, woo woo!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Cyborg Superman redesign

It looks kind of cool
Michael Bay's Transformers Presents...

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Anyone who read AC 20. The guy on the backup is supposed to be Zod?
Knowing DC, it's always Zod.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

But what Zod?
all of them

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

BobbyDrake posted:

I just finished Red Son and Birthright, and they were both fantastic. I'm picking up All-Star Superman next, but what are some good trades to grab after that?
Have you read Luthor: Man of Steel yet?

Here's what appears to be a thoughtful list, but I can't really vouch for most of it.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 23, 2013

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

BobbyDrake posted:

Nope, literally all of the Superman I have ever read is Death and Return, Red Son and Birthright.
Then grab Kingdom Come too, while you're at it.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 23, 2013

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
The red trunks are showing up much more often these days--good.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

That's like a mid-tier Final Fantasy boss or something.

Or a certain Chrono Trigger final boss.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Also I'm kind of confused with continuity. The way I understand it, the Superman from the New 52 is the same character as the Action Comics t-shirt Superman? Comics are hard.
Grant Morrison's Action Comics run with T-shirt Superman takes place something like 5 years before "present day"/everything else--that's all.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Not solo, but tada!

http://www.newsarama.com/21887-superman-wonder-woman-gets-new-creative-team-damian-inspires-the-bat-family-in-november.html

New Superman/Wonder Woman team of Peter Tomasi and Doug Mahnke.

I'm cool as long as Soule gets another comic.
"I want to stare hard into the heart of both of these characters and their true love"
Bleh. I just cannot get behind that at all.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

MoreMetalBrian posted:

I've started reading DC comics again, after a long time away. So far, I've read a decent amount of the Superman stuff in the OP, but I was wondering if someone could recommend a Superman story written in a similar vein as All Star Superman. On the other-side of the spectrum, I really enjoyed All Star Batman and Robin, so something like that would also work.

Doesn't necessarily have to be Superman, but I don't know much about the other big DC Characters. And if this is the wrong place to ask, my apologies.
Birthright by Mark Waid
Kingdom Come, also by Waid
Superman Beyond 3D, by Morrison
Superman Adventures #41 by Millar
Superman for All Seasons by Loeb & Sale
Red Son by Millar
Superman/Batman Annual #1 by Joe Kelly
It's not *as* good as rear end (but what is), but Morrison's Action Comics run is pretty solid from beginning to end, and hampered by some not-up-to-par art every so often.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

I'm new to this thread, but figured this was the place to ask: Is there a general consensus on Superman's, say, top villains? I don't want to pigeonhole him to just 10, or force people to name 10, but it seems like, more than anyone else, the scale of Superman's enemies is all over the place, from mortal to God.

I don't read a ton of Supes, but I've read him casually since the mid-80s, and a few really seem to stick out:

- Darkseid
- Doomsday
- Metallo
- Luthor
- Brainiac
- Bizarro
- Cyborg Superman/Henshaw

Plus, I randomly seemed to buy issues where he faces Joker.

Don't forget Mxy!

• Locked thread