Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
I don't trust DC with pre-Flashpoint Supes. They'll do something to it, like they did Batman Beyond. I expect a different outfit (no trunks, because GAY~!!!!!) and some other nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Of course.

Oh, and that third one was an unused cover for Superman Unchained. Note the date on the signature is 2012.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
The Convergence mini was pretty good, but I am not getting my hopes up. I wish this series were "Batgirled" into a pre-New 52 Superman, classic outfit, its own continuity. But I know I am in the minority.

Hard Truth by Pak (Action), and Before Truth by Yang (Supes) have been pretty good. But Dark Truth (S/WW) and Truth Hurts (B/S) have both been lackluster. Maybe they would read better collected, but at the current pace I find the latter two a chore.

Anyone looking forward to American Alien? I know Landis is a dick, but A) a lot of fine writers and artists are dicks, and B) some drat good artists are scheduled for the book. At the very least it will give us a break from the all-encompassing Truth arc.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Oh, man... I just looked up the solicitation artwork.

Cautious, guarded optimism. Just like with Dawn of Justice.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
I didn't even notice the Batman symbol until now... good eye. Though it is the cover to American Alien #3, so who knows.

Here's some more cover art:

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Gaz-L posted:

Mxy's the villain in the most famous Superman story of all.
I was gonna make a snarky comment about missing that particular Christopher Reeve movie, but then I realized we were thisclose to Dudley Moore as Mxy in III (some little bits of that script made it into the final film, i.e. traffic light fight) and got sad.

Wish they'd made more of those movies*. Love that music.

*And that they were good... but that's not an argument I really want to get into here. Apologies if you love 'em. I'm a child of Byrne and Wolfman. :drac:

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Rhyno posted:

So I've been re-reading random chunks of my Superman trade collection, got to the New Krypton era part of the shelf and after three books I'm just irritated as hell. You have two books for Nightwing and Flamebird, two books for Mon-El, three books for World of New Krypton, two books for War on New Kryptonand a half dozen other random books that collect Jimmy or the Guardian's stories. I don't know who was in charge of this but it's a huge clusterfuck. There's little direct flow in any of the stories and only one book collects crossovers across the various titles at the time. And one issue is reprinted in three different volumes. And on top of that, they don't even collect every issue during this run so for some reason the loving Legion shows up but we don't get any clear reason why.

I'm about to dump these loving books and start tracking down single issues again.
This cannot be stressed enough. I don't think it's a bad story (it's not Morrison or Moore, not everything can be), there are a bunch of good sequences and I really appreciate what they were trying to do giving Supes a Bat-sized event. DC's collections department regularly ruins the very material they are reprinting. They put all the back-up stories which directly correlate to the issue in which they appeared, screwing up both Morrison's Action trades and Simonson's Orion omnibus. My favorite is the JLA Vol. 1 electro-Superman appearance. Morrison's JLA is so great and so good to recommend, and then out of nowhere Smurf Supes show up and new readers are rightfully confused. They could reprint the four pages in that year's Secret Files & Origins which explain what happened and what his powers are (you know, like they reprinted other stories from the same and other SF&O issues), or they can alienate new readers right out of the gate. Seriously, I've overheard people in shops and seen online comments about this so many times over the years. It's ridiculous. DC makes it so drat difficult to be a fan.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Teenage Fansub posted:

Sholly Fisch is finally back after those backups for Grant Morrison's Action Comics.
He wrote the Metallo Forever Evil issue, and it was honestly one of the best Metallo stories ever. Granted, the story itself is not great, but his backups for AC were awesome and it was good to see him write a full issue (a crossover issue no less) and have it be pretty good as well.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Not just a mermaid, he also banged an alien chick that can turn into triplets, and a French chick. Plus, Lana (she's a freak too).

Anyway, I'd like to see Landis get a nice 12 (or more)-issue run on the main Superman book, once Yang finishes up his own run (which I hope continues past Truth).

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Rhyno posted:

Wait, when did Clark have a fling with Triplicate Girl?
Didn't they hook up in the Silver/Bronze Age, in the Superboy/LSH title?

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe that was The Superboy That Isn't Young Superman and Dario is confused by DC's terrible continuity.
NEVER! I pride myself on being able to navigate that mess! :flashfact:

I've explained Hypertime to people in comic book shops!

(I've lead a sad life)

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
At this point the only reason I'm keeping up on Action's plotlines are for possible payoff to the Mr. Oz Ozymandias? storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Action #962 was actually better than previous issues. The main Doomsday plot was resolved (for now) and a few little subplots moved forward. The dialogue between Superman and Luthor has improved. And Jon cheering on his dad is fun. Hoping the series continues like this. Good stuff.

• Locked thread