Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Other recommendation: Hitman #34 : One of the rare instances of Garth Ennis not pooping all over a superhero. A pretty good story of Superman being a guy who fails, worries about what he represents and can just be written as a "guy" if you know how to approach it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Flynn Taggart posted:

I get so sick of people bitching about Supes. All the time I hear "He's boring", "He's too overpowered", all that jazz. Most of these people have never even read or seen a proper story, they just judge him based on the some preconceived notions. I'll keep rooting for him.

I feel the same. You sometimes get people reacting to scenes/scanned pages from a Superman story and they're all "oh I never knew Superman could have so much heart or whatever" and its like, of course you never knew! You never read anything with him in it and just decided he was your idea of that character!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Additional Recommended reading:

Superman: Kryptonite

The first arc of the Superman: Confidential book, its Darwyn Cooke's version/vision of Superman's first meeting with Kryptonite, an update from the first Kryptonite comic book story from 1949. Cooke writes, again, a Superman who is just a real person who doesnt know the limits of his invulnerabilty and isnt anxious to find out if theres one. He also gives Superman a certain pride/vanity about appearing weak in front of Lois Lane that is an intriguing character wrinkle for the guy.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
:patriot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tdxSl7NCmI :patriot:

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

ChuckDHead posted:

So does this person really hate Dean Cain or something?

It would appear so! I liked the show a lot but it was pretty rough action/sfx-wise, but they tried very hard.

Theres a "funny" bit in Lois and Clark when they had their version of Metallo, Superman defeated him by hovering out of his reach and just melted his legs with his heat vision. It was a really cruel way to defeat him and combined with the actor's performance, it was horrific.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Which makes the Supergirl outfit even more loving ridiculous, "Better have armor on my upper body, but nothing at all will ever happen to my thighs." If she's nigh invulnerable then whatever outfit she wears you can just chalk up to the character's sense of style, but if you are going to go out of your way to say that the outfit serves a protective function, then you need to design it so that it makes some sort of sense.

She mentions that she shouldnt have been wearing her outfit before graduation--so maybe hers isnt battle armor, but then why would it look like Superman's outfit so much? Oh well. Maybe Kryptonians just get armors for graduations.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Himuro posted:

I really liked Superman #1. Anyone else read it? The changes to the Daily Planet's structure and Lois and Clark's relationship have a lot of potential.

The same. I love Superman and have no problem with change, but there are immutable things about the characters that you cant touch.
Superman #1 mixes up all that is mutable in a pretty cool, modern way. I'll miss their marriage, but this new status quo works well.
And the whole "Superman is sort of sullen and cynical, now!" works, because he's Superman and he's pissed that a Fox News-alike has bought the Daily Planet and restructed the business.
Somehow, its like Superman isnt pleased at the changes from his continuity so you go along with him and you understand his attitude.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Action Comics 2 is fantastic indeed. I wish the next Superman movie looked like this--its a handy blueprint anyways. Previous Superman characters are fitted in seemlessly, lots of action and still, a believable, brash young man of steel.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

It's transparently so that they can sell more "they get married!" issues later.

As someone that was into Superman pre-crisis, I wont miss the Kents. I always felt like they belong in the past. Krypo is one of those thing...those many, many things*...that every writer (for some reason) has very strong emotions about, and isn't shy about making big changes so that the universe is The Way It Ought To Be. In other words, Krypto makes otherwise nice guys into *shudder* Geoff Johns, ugh.

*Kandor
Comet
Beppo
Lori Lemaris
Kryptonite (all flavors)

I like all those elements, but they really should be used to pinpoint different phases in Superman's life. I liked the Kents, but there's something stronger about them if they only exist in his Smallville/Superboy life.
Lori Lemaris should be in his college years (and can pop up to remind him of that time) and so on...
Its similar with Krypto, altough theres a nice image of an older Superman surrounded by a super-family with a super-dog that feels right.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I also like a Superman who talks back. He can mellow out when he's older, but talking back to an rear end like General Lane, its all good.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Liberal Idiot posted:

And am I the only one who thinks Clark's source is Luthor? After all, Lex would know Clark would be idealistic enough to keep after Glenmorgan, and it's a way for him to manipulate someone else to take down his competition. Using a classical reference as his code word for Glenmorgan is another classic Luthor touch. Unless this is all completely obvious to everyone, I thought it was a strong possibility.

I was wondering about that. Lex Luthor using Clark to secure himself in Metropolis would be pretty good twist and a nice way to intertwine those characters (it always adds to them when they pull that kind of stuff off).

Also, its a simple thing but a detail like Clark's dufflebag having the Smallville Crows logo from Smallville is a nice touch.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

I think the white shirt just shows that it's not about the colors, but the symbol. He might wear a red shirt or a green shirt before he decides the official look for Superman.

Yeah, I like the notion that Clark might just have a closet-full of different (cheap) tshirts with the symbol ironed on. It adds to this current look.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Joe Don Baker posted:

I actually have to disagree with how they wrote Clark. Every season would start or end with him FINALLY deciding to become a superhero and then something dumb happens to make him change his mind.

It's a very lovely show with a couple of good actors working on it.

I love Smallville and I wouldnt say its lovely because a) it lasted 10 years, so it did something right b) lovely falls short of describing it.
Smallville is a pretty singular tv show. Never seen a show that could be so brilliant and so bad--sometimes in the same episode. Its nuts.

The writing on Clark is one of the show's biggest question marks. Tom Welling isnt the best actor in the world, but when he's given actual material (romcom stuff with Erica Durance, playing evil versions of himself, etc) he gets into it and comes alive.
For some reason, for more than HALF of the show's run, regular Clark is written as a bland, non-dynamic guy. If they had written him anything like the guy we're seeing in Action Comics right now, the show would've been much more different.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

That's not even close to a measure of quality and you know it.

Look, in my opinion, something that is lovely is ill-thought of, shoddily made and barely gets out of the assembly line.
There is something to be said about a show that runs and runs for ten years. Not saying its the best show ever, not saying its lovely either.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Dantes Redux posted:

Two and a half men.

I think that show is televised disease, but its a pretty flawless delivery machine for all those terrible jokes, through even terribler characters.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

So your idea of something lovely is something unsuccessful, and no matter how terrible something is, if it were lovely it would just get wiped out by the invisible hand of the free market?

A show that runs for a long time obviously has a lot of stuff figured out and there's a craftmanship to running a show like that. It doesnt necessarily make it good, but I think it excludes it from being lovely (which would be the worst since we're comparing it to poo poo!).

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
It doenst get any weirder than JLA ever did.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Wade Wilson posted:

I saw a commercial for Smallville once that looked like it had a ridiculous low-budget version of Dr. Fate in it (as in, low budget TV show CG Dr. Fate, complete with helmet and cape and crazy pink lasers) and the Justice League tower, did that ever actually happen in the show or am I misremembering it?

It did happen. In its last 3 seasons, with a shift in creative teams, Smallville actually became a superhero soap show. You can defintely see the shortcomings in almost all of their special effects and other shenanigans but at the same time I cant help but smile that they did the Justice Society on a budget.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Of course, this was obviously not the intent of the creators, and only goes to show how bad the show was.

I think it was. Sometimes in interviews, you could feel the smarm and how clever they felt about having a show where Lex Luthor was more sympathetic, like they had turned the entire thing on its head.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I feel the same way. I might not after a few issues but I found it a really interesting universe to at least look in on.

Totally agree, he could rotate through different parallel Supermans once in a while and I would love it.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Opopanax posted:

That would be awesome; who says Superman has to be about Earth-1 Superman only?

It would be the way to "franchise"-up Superman the same way Batman Inc and all the multiple Corps stuff did for Green Lantern.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Magic Love Hose posted:

So someone on Twitter says he's read Superman: Earth One: Book Two. I hope he's kidding:

He's not. Its salted dog poo.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I've been reading a lot of Byrne's Superman reboot for the first time in years and I'm enjoying it a lot.
All of his pages are groaning with thought balloons over-explaining everything but there's a lot of neat sci-fi stuff and generally solid foundation and drama for a lot of the Superman mythos--it remains a good bunch of books
to give out to someone who doesnt get Superman or his possibilities, story-wise.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Oh man, we're really entering a Superman dark age here.

The Snyder book should be good.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

If he is not taken off it before the first issue.

He is one of their star writers, on a book with the co-publisher. Its pretty unlikely.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Not if you don't care for Jim Lee's art anymore.

I do, so its GREAT NEWS for me!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Action Comics 25 is GREAT!
Greg Pak does really good stuff with young t-shirt Superman.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

It says that smallville had good ideas

It had tons. It didn't go anywhere with them (Smallville ended up existing in a weird stretch of pop-culture and tv history) but it had a lot of good ideas.
Never have I seen a show walk right up to a great idea/take on an established character and just walk past it.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
As always, Paktion comics delivers! It's always odd to me to read reviews and people reading this going "Oh wow, a more human Superman! He's one of us now! I can relate!" when this is exactly the same dude Pak has been writing about for two years.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I'm pretty sure it's the first time Jonathan and Martha were given those jobs but they're GREAT ideas for the characters. The idea of them sort of having wound up in Smallville but hanging in there is really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Preview for Neal Adams' Coming of the Supermen #1
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/exclusive-preview-superman-the-coming-of-the-super/1100-154939/

I love that he drew Lois straight out of the eighties. Cool brooch.

I've read this and it felt like a pretty hyper version of the 90s Super-books, filled with running plots, but crazier and with
that awesome Adams art. It made me wish I liked Henry Cavill's Superman more because the dude looks drawn by Neal Adams.

• Locked thread