Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's actually pizza sauce. Ma was never very good at teaching Clark to be neat in the kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't Batman/Superman the fourth tier title? Superman/WW got included in the Doomed thing, but S/B never 'matters', barring it being where they brought Supergirl back like 10 years ago.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hell, who says it was even him doing something wrong. There's plenty of scenarios where you could have him doing the right thing, and getting arrested for his trouble. It can even lead into one reason why he hides his identity and maybe even why he's a journalist, as he learns to question authority and not just accept things at face value.

Edit: ^^ Who says it's his blood?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ran into a kryptonite doorknob.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Smallville was a very Silver Age show if you think about it.

Oh come on, that'd mean Clark would be hit with red kryptonite like every 5th epis- I see your point.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

Don't forget Mxy!

I'd count Mxy ahead of everyone in that list but Luthor, really. And Toyman and Mongul are also on the list, I'd say.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Mxy's the villain in the most famous Superman story of all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

I'd say Mongul is one of those cases where the villain started out in one rouges gallery and ended up in the other.

I dunno. His appearance in Reign of the Supermen and For The Man Who Has Everything is more than most characters in that vein have for their original opponent. Kingpin doesn't really have any 'classic' Spider-Man stories, but tons of Daredevil ones, for instance. I'm a casual GL and Superman fan, and I know him far more as the latter's enemy because of those stories.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
My touchstone for Mxy, weirdly enough, is that Supergirl in the 8th grade miniseries where he implies he's the reason Krypton blew up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the first year or so is a lot better than it sounded when they were hyping it, they pushed the 'Kara's so ALIEN' angle, making it sound like she was going to be some cold, distant being looking down on the puny humans, when it was pretty much the opposite. She's a teenage girl a trillion miles from home, the thing she was sent to do she doesn't need to do anymore, the baby cousin she was supposed to look out for is replaced by a grown dude that likes these aliens more than her, no-one speaks her language, she doesn't understand the culture or customs and she has these weird powers she can barely control. And she reacts exactly like you'd expect, panics and lashes out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Martha being a vet sounds like something that should've been the case forever, but I think I might be conflating any number of wholesome rural families in fiction where that's the job for the mother.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
She was a state senator I believe. By the end, I mean. She started as a homemaker/farmer, yes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

You reminded me, if anyone missed it from not reading Grayson, Grayson Annual #2 is a really fun Clark/Dick buddy issue.

And next week has the continuation of Dick Grayson: lovely Ex-Boyfriend World Tour, in Starfire.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wade Wilson posted:

Wait, do they not do "See Issue #X of Comic-Series for more info, readers!" Editor's Notes during multi-series events any more?

They're doing the old triangle numbers thing for this one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Alrighty, if I'm intrigued enough by the Rebirth issue to want to maybe pick up ONE (1) of the core Superman books, should I be looking at Action or Superman? I like Lex's costume design, but the stuff with Bearded Superman and Lana was the thing that really caught my attention from the one shot, so... thoughts, goons?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Maybe he only read that one fill-in issue G Willow Wilson did? Because that one was real good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'd say It's what it should HAVE been like.
Superman reconnecting with small town America is a great idea.

Well yeah, Clark doesn't even have a MySpace.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Welp, Action is certainly the weaker of the two main titles thus far. I'm still gonna stick with both for a month or two, see what shakes out, but Clark and Lois as slightly dorky parents, with super-stuff at the periphery and li'l Superboy freaking out about his powers is much more engaging than the, admittedly funny for the wrong reasons, adventures of rear end in a top hat SUPERMAN, the man who invades personal space to take things that don't belong to him and then claims the other person started the fight when he's pushed away!

Like, I have to assume Jurgens is writing Superman as a dick on purpose, because otherwise that's so tone-deaf it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chaos Hippy posted:

Are we reading the same Action Comics? I mean, yeah, Superman's kind of being a dick to Luthor, but if there's one person that Superman can understandably be an rear end in a top hat to, it's Luthor. Other than that, he's just been fighting Doomsday for the last four issues.

And I posted that after, I believe, one issue had come out. (And yes, Clark has reasons to distrust Lex, but trying to rip a possession away from someone then going "I KNEW YOU'D ATTACK ME!" when they defend themselves is pretty rear end in a top hat-ish) Plus Action is still pretty bad.

• Locked thread