Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Looked like it had six legs to me.

Definitely wasn't Krypto though... I hope...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rand alPaul posted:

I thought they were showing Superman the Chupacabra, in a "hey we have this other unexplained thing, too!" sort of way. :confused:

Also Superman #1 was horrible, Action #1 and #2 are loving terrific.

Honestly, I didn't find Superman to be half as terrible as everyone assumed it would be. Mopey Clark at the end was bad, but other than that it was okay.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So, who else thinks Steel's outfit is kinda dumb looking? I get that since it's his debut, and since Action takes place years before the "present", that when he next appears he'll probably look different, but reading the issue I couldn't help but look at his Cyborg-esque half helmet and think "Why the gently caress aren't you covering your head, Irons?"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

I just attributed it to him buying a mixed pack of shirts and just ironing on the logo on them. Next week it's time for the fuschia shirt.

Next month: Superman has a red shirt and regrets it! "My S doesn't stand out at all!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The only thing that I missed in this issue is... how did Supes just know that the super-suit was there? Better yet, how did he make it change colors?

Aside from that, this issue was pretty rad.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Crusader posted:

I also dig that this Brainiac is an amalgamation of the knowledge and technology secured from the worlds it's preserved, even in the way it self-identifies.

I like it, but... seriously? The Internet is Brainiac? Between that and "shutting down the internet" in Final Crisis, I'm pretty sure that Morrison is just gonna write the internet as whatever the hell he wants it to be. And I guess I should just learn to deal with silliness in my funnybooks, but it still irks me.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

If you haven't read Batman Inc 8, you have no idea.

Oh believe me, I have.

And the set-up for that issue was great. Having Batman strap on his Virtual Boy at the end of Inc 7 while Barbara yells about how there's trouble on the internet was fantastic.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Deep Winter posted:

The concept is pretty cool, if a copy of Kraven, but it seems the entire point was to enlist him into the anti-superman army.

See, I get that this whole run is chock full of non-linear storytelling, but am I the only one finding it hard to give a poo poo about the Anti-Superman Army? Because we've explicitly seen their end.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Flameingblack posted:

Good lord it was awful.

The art-style of course, shifts when Starfire shows up, which I guess shows that someone was aware of how awful the art was and didn't want their waifu drawn so badly. Speaking of badly, that bikini is the size of a roll of dental floss.

:v: No idea if that's a spoiler or not, never read the previews or anything.

I didn't think it was that bad. But then, I did read the loving visual assault that was Avenging Spider-Man beforehand, so I guess maybe I didn't view it objectively.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Really? I thought it was pretty awful, personally. I mean, Clark's little hissy fit before quitting the Planet was just miserable. If it were in any way a novel observation besides "journalism is in a bad state" maybe it would be meaningful (and also if it weren't timed after Clark missed a deadline. I could whine about my boss and the state of the industry too if said boss had just chewed me out). Then the fight after that was just paced terribly. Like seriously, one of the worst I can think of in recent memory. Here's a breakdown: Superman punches the head then gets hit by the tail and then is in Ireland oh and the monster is in Ireland too because YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP THAT'S WHY and ugh it's just godawful.

Like, I know a lot of people said the initial Perez run was bad, but I'd say that it was more just mediocre. Now this, this is an awful Superman book.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Revol posted:

Superman 13's big story point, Clark quitting, was completely uninteresting. It felt really, really forced and out of the blue. One minute Clark is having a disagreement of this stuff, but it looks like he's immediately moved on. He's more concerned about Lois.

Then it gets brought up again, and he just goes off. It came off as very unbelievable.

Seriously. And his central point isn't even something that's being disagreed with. He brings it up, and Perry and Lois agree with him. All they say is, "Look, Kent, we have to get people to watch the news/read the paper somehow and if that means sensationalism, then oh well." Then he gets mopey over Lois (even though I thought he wasn't supposed to be into her in the new 52, but whatever, more lovely writing) and goes to his desk. Then when the owner comes up and tells him to do his job, he throws a temper-tantrum.

It's supposed to seem justified because Clark's looking up real, actually important news stories instead of sensationalist headlines about, well, himself. But poo poo, it's your job to cover Superman. And it's your job specifically because Superman refuses to be interviewed by anybody but Clark Kent. So if you wanna go cover real news, maybe Superman should get a little more chatty with other reporters so Clark Kent gets freed up to go report on other poo poo.

edit:

Teenage Fansub posted:

The first issue of Superman ends with Clark going up to Lois' room, catching her boyfriend just wearing a towel and sulks away super-hearing...

Oh yeah... okay, I was wrong on that point. Redacted!

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 25, 2012

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

d00gZ posted:

Remember, all of this has already happened AND is happening AND is going to happen. Time is fucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY_Ry8J_jdw

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Has anybody else ever really explored the 5th dimension like Morrison's doing here? All I really recall about it from other comics/TV is that it's the place Mxyzptlk and Bat-Mite are from.

Also, speaking of TV, this page of the backup which should be kind of cute and touching becomes hilarious if you imagine Mxy with Gilbert Gottfried's voice from S:TAS.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, a lot of people seem to be really down on the whole movie because of Snyder and the suit, but that trailer looked pretty nice to me

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KAL-EL!
Kal-El... Have you always been alone...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

horsepeen posted:

And the whole thing takes place in Argo City.

First story arc deals with Superman's inability to reconcile his civilian and superhero lives. Title is Zero Clark Thirty. Alright, done with this joke now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I'm going to out myself as a dumb retard baby here but I have no idea what happened in Action Comics this month, nor indeed many of the months prior. Just none of it made any sense to me at all.

I got about... half of it? And really enjoyed those parts. Maybe I'll go over the other parts with a fine tooth comb later and go "Oooooohhhh" as everything clicks together for me, or maybe I'll just accept that I enjoyed the pretty pictures and move on.

Basically what I'm saying here is it's okay man, you're not the only dumb baby out there.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That doesn't sound half bad actually and Superman 19 was pretty fun. He seems to be writing the kind of wacky poo poo that was really popular on the Silver Age and it's a nice change of pace for Superman.

Wacky poo poo would be fun. It's unfortunate that Scott Lobdell cannot write wacky poo poo. Or good poo poo. Just poo poo poo poo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The only thing that I found interesting about Unchained is how it actually shows Clark blogging instead of just self-righteously bragging about quitting the Planet. Now if only they'd cover how in the world he's paying his half of the rent, that'd be interesting. Maybe the "Unchained" part is going to kick in when Clark just goes full Superdickery, pins Jimmy to a wall and tells him "gently caress you Olsen, you're paying for everything from now on!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goldenoreos posted:

Which would likely end with them breaking up the next arc leading to the book becoming like "Batman and..." except it's a Superman bachelor book where he dates and teams up with super powered women for an issue or two before things fall apart.

I would read a "Superman and..." bachelor book, but it should have an issue dedicated to one of his guy friends forcing him to go out and hit the clubs to try to meet girls. Hal Jordan seems like the kind of rear end in a top hat who'd do that, right?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So Psionic War is all about Brainiac and Hammond, really obvious in hindsight.

Wait, has Brainiac even been in the New 52? I mean, I know the "Collector of Worlds" from the first Action Comics arc was basically him, but has the character ever been referred to by that name? Whatever, Lobdell probably just thought "Huh, I wanna write a Brainiac story. gently caress IT I'M DOIN' IT"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Spaceman Bill posted:

Popped up in Threshold.

Oh. I just wanted to have my 2 minutes hate in for Lobdell but he was actually in the right. Dang.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Speaking of. Anyone else find today's Batman/Superman a pile of nonsense? How did they cause what it's implying they caused by just floating around?

The whole thing was that both Bats and Supes got like... 5 seconds of being tangible to actually effect change on Earth 2. Bruce couldn't stop his instinctual feelings and blew his time saving Alfred from one parademon, only to see like an army bearing down on him as he went intangible again. Since he then knew how the "game" (for lack of a better term) worked, then he could plan out with Superman what to do and follow their Earth-2 counterparts along with their plan. Superman was gonna save Earth-2 Bruce but then at the last second he heard that Helena Wayne was in danger due to the Batwing in the process of blowing up and knew that Batman (on either world) would rather have their kid's life saved rather than their own, so he used his 5 seconds to save her life. So yeah, by floating around, all they really did was learn about Earth 2's past and ensure Huntress's survival.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

C. Everett Koop posted:

In which Superman learns that some burritos come frozen.

"So uhhh how do microwaves work? I mean I usually use heat vision to cook."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's good so far, but then it is only one issue in so it's kind of hard to make some ringing endorsement yet.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I want to call it bad but I love the concept of a pro wrestling ring where gods from dead religions wrestle to stay alive. In fact I'd read a comic solely about Superman's wrasslin' adventures.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 29, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Didn't open with sexy naked Superman trying to seduce me while narrating, already a letdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

"Your Superman died, huh? Yeah, yeah. How do you feel about mullets?"

"Listen if you see any cyborgs that seem a lot like Superman, call me."

• Locked thread