Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It's almost as if the whole "Not into Lois" was a last minute asspull like half the editorial decisions made so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It's not exactly a long story, a bored kryptonian scientist kept killing and cloning Doomsday to force it's evolution, eventually it starts adapting to whatever he throws at it, the scientist gets bored again and shoots Doomsday into space.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Revol posted:

Wow. DC just cannot help sabotaging itself.

"We've got a huge Superman movie coming out, called Man of Steel."

"We are also planning to release a new ongoing Superman book in the months leading up to the movie's release."

"Okay. Whatever we do, we cannot have this title line up to the movie in any way."

"Well, we're naming the comic book Man of Steel too. You know, for product synergy-"

"YOU STOP THAT poo poo NOW."

"Consumer Confusion" is actually a marketing thing, the idea being that if two things exist with the same name consumers will get confused and frustrated then not buy. It's something that popped up a lot in DC's animation that has made it's way into the comics it's probably why there's only been the one Batgirl and one Flash now.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Revol posted:

What would the confusion be, though? I see no indication that the movie Superman will be so different from comic book Superman. And if this were the case, then what of the Avengers comic book? That book is crazy out there and not at all like the movie. (But at the same time, we do see Marvel integrating stuff from the movie into the comics, but not the base Avengers book, yet.)

Don't go looking for logic in marketing strategy it's a maze of pop-science, racism, sexism, classicism and rigged surveys. These are the same guys that kept the Hamil Joker out of the Justice League cartoon because he might get confused with The Batman's Rastafarian Joker

Avoiding consumer confusion is largely a DC thing while Marvel buys into synergy and sometimes I wonder if like recap pages it's just a case of DC refusing to do something because Marvel does it.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 5, 2013

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Yawgmoft posted:

Wait then what was with all the Unless his other half is some kind of amoral narcissist :cough: luthor foreshadowing?

I felt that foreshadowing was mostly by people when he wasn't leaping to save people in the simulation that they believed was indistinguishable from the real word except superboy knew it was fake. The rest of it can pretty much just be summed up as "He's a teenager with little understanding of the real world."

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

kdrudy posted:

I like how getting Power Girl back into her old outfit was just a change of clothes because her other outfit was trashed. Even with the weird chest window it's still so much better.

We'll end up seeing less skin with the boob window then we have seen in every appearance so far. Seriously It is somehow the exact level of titillation to make the costume immune to spontaneous clothes explosion.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Chinaman7000 posted:

What the gently caress, Hector Hammond is a fantastic classy villain name while Mindstorm is one of the worst generic shits I've ever had shoved in my brain oh Jesus who came up with this idea

Whatever you just aren't with it like the cool cats at DC who are totally like in tune with the youth man. You need hip names like Mindstorm and Harvest to grab the youth market.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It's basically just skipping a bunch of stuff so Smeed Smichards as the electronic ghost thing ends up in kryptonian technology and looking like Supes is just a result of that being the DNA available for reconstruction.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's totally it, then she has to move in with Clark and sitcom style shenanigans and misunderstandings between them and Diana form the crux of that Superman/Wonder Woman series when it's not punchy punchy stuff.

Nope too good of an idea.

She gets not hulk powers and becomes superman's enemy when she's on the rag and nobody ever puts it together that Ragrage is Lois.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It's probably one of the best thing DC is putting out right now, it way above the majority of DC's output.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

This whole arc makes it seem like we're going to get a version of the shape-changing Supergirl iteration.

Matrix or something wasn't it called?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

Pastiches can never have the pop culture power of the actual character.

Even DC officaly making Superman black wouldn't have much pop culture power he's been whitebread too long and everyone would know he'd be whitebread again.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Chaos Hippy posted:

Mongul's definitely one of Superman's guys, though he was pretty heavily involved in Johns' GL run, and duked it out with Hal in Engine City in the last couple issues of Reign of the Supermen in the 90s (the story that gave us Superman's black suit and long hair). Mxy's basically omnipotent, so I'd have a hard time characterising him as "lower-tier".

I'd say Mongul is one of those cases where the villain started out in one rouges gallery and ended up in the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It's really proved that the problem with Superman isn't that he's too powerful.

• Locked thread