Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser

Nerd Of Prey posted:

If that dude ever cracked open a copy of Preacher he would probably burn his whole store down.

I wonder if he has All-Star Batman in his shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Magic Love Hose posted:

I like Rags. Yes, his art's got the occasional hiccup in it, but I like how his artwork evokes the feeling of a semi-normal world that got Superman chucked into it and hasn't fully assimilated him yet.

That's almost exactly how I feel. I really like Morales' style in Action Comics, but he definitely has issues with some eyes/faces. And I can see how it can be off putting.

But anyway, I'm really digging the cover art for the next two Action comics.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Blackish Sheep posted:

Well apparently they can't survive world-destruction.

Unless they live in Kandor.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Maybe a stupid question, or maybe even one that's been addressed already, but I had a question about Superman's new armored costume. In several panels in Superman #1 and #2 (even once in Swamp Thing #1), we see Clark in a buttoned shirt with his sleeves rolled up, or with the top few buttons on his shirt undone. My immediate thought was that he can't be hiding his costume under there because (I assume) metal sleeves wouldn't roll up very well. Also his new collar would be visible under the shirt.

So my question is: have they done away with the iconic "shirt ripping open to reveal the Superman logo" aspect, and instead have him changing into his costume each time? Maybe he has some sort of device that lets him suddenly have a costume on like GL or the Flash's ring?

An example of what I'm talking about from an upcoming Superman:

We don't actually see how he changes. To me, it just seems unlikely that a metal costume would be under that, but maybe I'm just overanalyzing.

I'm not complaining about the new costume, I think it's been working well so far, especially in Justice League. I'm just wondering if they changed the way Clark changes into Superman.

As for Action #3, I liked it alot. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this plays out, especially learning more about how Brainiac and Myx are involved.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

lol maybe.

Like I said, might be a stupid question...trying to put logic into a comic about an alien god.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Space_Butler posted:

Action #6 reminded me of when I first started reading Morrison comics; I had absolutely no idea what was happening, but I loved every moment of it. I especially loved how organically all of the flashbacks were incorporated, and I'm glad Morrison is acknowledging that much of his upbringing remains exactly the same despite the changes (meeting the legion at a young age, having Pete and Lana as best friends, pulling some silver age superboy-esque stunts across town, etc). Phenomenal.

I like how we started off in the first few issues with a golden age Superman, and have now progressed to a silver age version; it reminds a little of what what Morrison did with Flex Mentallo (each issue being a different era). We'll probably end the arc with a modern age Superman. I wonder if between now and then he'll have a mullet.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's Action Comic since we finally continue the storyline from issue 4. Though I am disappointed that this will probably be the end of the adventures of the t-shirt and jeans/can't fly Supes.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

horsepeen posted:

I'm just wondering if they changed the way Clark changes into Superman.

rotinaj posted:

I read an interview somewhere that said Superman carries around something called a "Power Morpher" now.

(no I didn't)

Looks like you weren't far off!

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Loved this arc. Really cool take on the origin.

I'm now looking forward to reading about Nimrod the Hunter. I was rereading all the past issues, and in #6 Saturn Girl reveals that it was Nimrod who used a "teleport rifle" to fire the microscopic hollow lead pellet in to Superman's brain. And somehow Myx and the Anti-Superman army (lead by Zod with bandages covering his face?) ended up inside.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

I just read Action #10, and I'm a little confused about the timeline. I guess we jumped forward 5 years into the future since Superman knows the Justice League? If that's the case, why does he still wear the T-Shirt and jeans? Also can he fly yet? I might reread and see if I missed something...

Edit: I just remembered the first arc of JL is also 5 years in the past, so I guess that sort of explains it.

horsepeen fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 6, 2012

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Wow, great catch.

You made me want to go back and read #6 and I saw that there was a little girl in the Anti-Superman army standing near Nimrod and Bandage Man. Perhaps that's her? It's interesting how these characters are slowly being revealed.

http://i.imgur.com/EMb5P.jpg

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

d00gZ posted:

This is how Morrison runs on mainstream titles always go: the first few issues people are like "man, this isn't crazy enough!" but by issue eleven or twelve everyone's losing their poo poo and finding all the clues in the first few.

Speaking of clues, and considering the upcoming return of Krypto I hope we learn who this man is. It's been bugging since I saw him in Action #3.

Also, are backup issues usually included in the collected hardcovers? I'm just curious if they're going to be collected in next month's Action Comics Hardcover.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Magic Love Hose posted:

Is it my imagination, or is Jor-El directly quoting the last issue of All-Star Superman there?

Because if All-Star is on the influences list, my faith in this project just shot up by infinity percent.

Holy poo poo, you're right.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

I can respect his decision to want to get into other things besides superhero comics, but I'm still sad to see him go.

But I do wonder if the Wonder Woman thing he mentioned is All-Star Wonder Woman.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Looks like a new rumor is brewing on BC.

Jim Lee And Scott Snyder To Launch Man Of Steel Comic For 2013?
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/08/27/jim-lee-and-scott-snyder-to-launch-man-of-steel-comic-for-2013/

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

gogisha posted:

I loved this issue of Action as well, the Superman saves in this series continue to warm the heart. Just a question though, was it ever said what city Orion was killed in in Final Crisis #1? I only ask because of Perry White's line "what's next, a dead god in Cleveland?" I'm probably reading too much into it, but I wouldn't put it past Morrison to have a little reference like that. Probably just me though.

Interesting, I didn't even think of Final Crisis. For some reason when I read it I automatically just thought the Cleveland remark was Morrison referencing Siegel and Shuster creating Superman in Cleveland. But I probably just thought that because of the history of Superman book I've been reading recently.

Edit: In early issues of Action Comics Siegel wrote Clark working for the 'Evening News' in Cleveland. I don't know if Morrison was referencing an old story with that, but I thought it was a cool fact.

horsepeen fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 7, 2012

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

That's cool. Is Andy Diggle the official replacement or is that still just a rumor?

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

The Krypto backup was so very :unsmith:

I'm also glad his fortress is back in the arctic.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Holy crap the new Superman run will be gorgeous if nothing else.
http://www.comicvine.com/news/first-look-superman-13-by-lobdell-and-rocafort/145388/

edit: Wasn't there another Superman book where a machine was testing his strength?

Maybe you're thinking of Leo Quintum's machine in the first issue of All-Star Superman?

That art is really nice; really hope the story isn't too dumb.... fuckin Lobdell.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Looks like Morrison is on Action until #17 (instead of 16) with an "extra-sized" issue for the climax.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2012/11/12/superman-group-solicits

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Flameingblack posted:

DC thought it was too stupid and made him re-name the character because out of all these bad reimaginings in the reboot, this was by far the worst.

That's hilarious. Was that revealed in an interview or something?

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Preview for Action 16 is up if anyone is interested:

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/01/04/action-comics-16-preview/

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Anyone read Superman Family Adventures? Apparently it's ending on issue 12 this April.

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/01/14/superman-family-adventures-to-end-in-april/

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

The new Snyder/Lee Superman comic will be called Superman Unchained, and not Superman: Man of Steel like I previously assumed.

Here's an article:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2013/03/04/dc-comics-superman-comic-book-series/1931359/

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

And the whole thing takes place in Argo City.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Space_Butler posted:

June solicits for the Superman family are up and I know it goes without saying but OH MY GOD JAE LEE.

Oh, and Superman Unchained comes with a poster. I'm getting Reign Of The Supermen flashbacks.

I have no idea what's going on in that Superman #21 cover, but I really hope that's his new look for a while.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

I wonder if Grant Morrison would ever write for Doctor Who. Aside from the Dalek-like Metaleks and the Multitude Angels, the whole finale was pretty timey-wimey.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

I wonder if in 20 years we'll have a book where baby Superman lands in North Korea.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Cavill's suit has grown on me alot. Especially the S logo with the thick spine and flourishy serif.

The New 52 suit's collar annoys me too. I liked the Earth 2 variation though.

V :doh:

horsepeen fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 7, 2013

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Looks like comixology finally added Lex Luthor: Man of Steel as part of their giant Superman sale:
http://www.comixology.com/Lex-Luthor-Man-of-Steel-1-of-5/digital-comic/DIG004807

The rest of the sale:
http://www.comixology.com/Superman-Unchained-plus-Sale/comics-collection/1257

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Here is a cool animated short film Zack Snyder and Bruce Timm did for Superman's 75th anniversary.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/10/14/superman-75-years-of-heroic-history-in-a-2-minute-animated-short-exclusive/

This is really great.

How is the Smallville comic? I'm kinda tired of the whole "what if there was an EVIL Superman?" that's been popular lately, and I haven't looked at Lobdell's Superman title since I gave up on H'el. Adventures of Superman is fun, but sometimes I want more than one offs.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

I've been reading Smallville: Alien, and I like that Luthor's lackey is named Otis Berg. :haw:

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Mike From Nowhere posted:

I took a pass on Smallville while it was on TV but I hear good things about the comic series. Is it worth my time?

I haven't read the main Season 11 title, but I started reading the Alien miniseries, and it seems to be fairly standard Superman stories which I don't mind. They're breaking into some of the DC mythos with characters like the Monitor. If you have 99 cents to burn on the first issue, it might be worth your time, and if you hate it, no big loss. They're short.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

YES, this looks awesome. I've really been enjoying Adventures of Superman; my favorite Supes book at the moment.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

That sucks. It was my favorite Superman comic out now.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

I'm surprised at how much I like the Doomed crossover. Action #33 kind of felt like "What if Superman was also the Hulk in space." Also, I love that Pak has some focus on Lana, as well.

Has anyone been reading Earth 2? The idea of the new Superman seems really cool to me, but I flipped through the latest one or two issue and it just seemed like the old Superman going nuts slaughtering everyone, and it was kind of a turn off. Is it better than that? I was a bit disappointed he didn't get a better send off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

I didn't buy the book but I read a spoiler that it was Earth 2 Bizarro the whole time?

Any truth to that?

• Locked thread