Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Supergirl looks cute, but what the gently caress is up with her crotch area? Is the top just a shirt and the bottom intended to be some kind of chastity plate? The exposed hips are just bizarre as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Also I hate the reboot's fixation on knees and the knee pads and the weird segmentation and :colbert:

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I just started reading Supergirl and the change in artist in the eighth issue was alarming and discouraging. The art was beautiful before then; I hope that artist comes back :(

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Agreed. It's gorgeous and shows a lot of promise, and the symmetry between Clark and Bruce that's a hallmark of the Superman/Batman title is executed in a much less hamfisted way than usual.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

The Supergirl book moves slow as hell, but the writing is tight enough and the art is gorgeous. I'd recommend giving it a shot.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Adventures of Superman is really run-of-the-mill stuff, but on the other hand it's kind of a breath of fresh air relative to a lot of poo poo DC is putting out right now. I love the variety in artists and writers, and sometimes it's just good to get a jaunt in the head of one of my favorite characters in the universe.

The fourth issue just came out and it's a joy to have. Love that cover, love goofy stories about how petty Lex Luthor can be, love people talking poo poo about Superman and enjoying the company of Clark Kent. Also the art is a lot of fun throughout, which only makes me more resentful of DC's "house" style. I hope you all are telling DC to keep doing poo poo like this with your dollars.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I bought the Superman/Wonder Woman comic digitally and am somewhat dismayed it didn't come with the Cliff Chiang cover attached. The art in the issue is good, even if it's a little plain.

Honestly, even as a long-time Superman fan, I don't dislike the idea of Clark and Diana as a couple on principle. I think what most bothers me about it is just the precedent Johns has set in the Justice League books, and which I guess is going to be status quo for their relationship in this new comic. We're supposed to think they complement each other because they've both got that "stranger in a strange land" thing going on, but I don't think I buy it in this format, especially while reading Azzarello's Wonder Woman concurrently: Diana is somewhat alienated from the world of man, but on the other hand, she's still there in an official capacity. On top of that, she comes from a living (if currently petrified) culture and has a family, as well as a growing supporting cast. WW in the Azzarello book is troubled, but mostly a self-actualized person who acts in accordance with a consistent sense of duty and compassion.

And then there's NEW CLARK. I've dropped Action for the time being after Morrison left, but I'm still reading Superman/Batman, and the implication for new Clark is that he's brasher, more impetuous, and that the reason for this is because he's lost both his parents--who would leash his overconfidence in an inadvertent capacity--and has never used Lois as a nexus point for his developing morality. While he's still a good guy who believes in (and then does) the impossible, he's no longer apolitical; he's more of a "typical" action protagonist than he used to be pre-Flashpoint. He's confident, but hotheaded, and he still has a lot to learn.

If you present me with these two characters in a vacuum and asked me what I thought their romantic relationship should look like, I'd suggest that they could empower one another in a dynamic and really more classic "battle couple" way. They're two people who can literally do anything in both the realms of science fiction and myth. They should be friends! On top of banging, if you need banging, but on paper they just have the potential to inspire each other to do better things.

Instead we have Diana unhappy about Clark's really very obviously comprehensible desire for privacy. And then we see her on a roof waiting for her guy, who pops out of nowhere with a flower like somebody from a Julia Roberts movie. Pre-Flashpoint they (along with Bruce) had a great interplay where they have an intrinsic understanding of each other's need to maintain a work-life balance; they talked in costumes, out of costumes, sassed each other. In this book and in JL there's none of that natural camaraderie. Johns, and now Daniel, are intent on creating an "epic" romance between these two EPIC CHARACTERS, but it fails to hit any poignant notes because it's predicated on a stupid premise: two people! alien cultures! isolated! in love! It doesn't work unless you accept that WW's characterization in her strongest book doesn't mean poo poo. Which I guess has been the truth from the outset, but dammit, I don't want to live in that world.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

How is the current Supergirl run?

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Wow, I had no idea Supergirl got canceled. That sucks, because yeah, I read the first arc before the H'El on Earth storyline started and really enjoyed it. I think the artist was Mahmud Asrar, and his art on the title was really nice.

I'm catching up on Superman and Action and enjoying them both, but I realized the other day the reason I wasn't picking up the Jurgens book was because I didn't want to read a book that seemed to heavily focus on Clark's young son. It's me, I'm the problem with comics. Is it good?

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

The first issue of Superman: American Alien is really good. It's a great book and the spread at the end that details Jon and Martha's lives is really well-done and touching.

I don't know if it needs spoiler tags, but has Jonathan ever been a lawyer in any previous iterations? Same for Martha being a veterinarian. I think it's great stuff, just curious.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Yeah, American Alien is killing it right now. Really sad and well-executed short. Teen Clark getting shot in the face and lasering off a dude's arms is super brutal and crazy sad. Poor kid. Also, whenever Clark's abilities are kind of an open secret in the town I'm always happy.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

American Alien: still wonderful. Clark's such a goofy guy, and a romantic, and everything you'd kind of expect a contemporary pre-Superman Superman to be. I hope Landis comes back and writes more Superman after this series is over, because this book is exemplary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Why didn't this book get an Eisner nom. It's head and shoulders above almost anything else DC is putting out right now.

• Locked thread