Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Superman is the first comic book superhero. He's also the most recognized. Even though he's a fictional character, he still represents what any decent human being aspires to be: A force for good, someone to protect the innocent. Since his conception he has appeared in other media as well. There have been several live action TV shows, cartoons, and movies featuring him. With the relaunch of the DC Universe, here's a thread to discuss Superman, the new Superman comics, post recommended Superman reading, and anything else related to the Man of Steel.

Recommended Reading

All-Star Superman
This 12 issue series penned by Grant Morrison and drawn by Frank Quitely is one of the best super hero stories you'll read. I don't want to give away any surprises, but this story encapsulates what is so great about Superman. If you've never read a Superman story in your life, start with this one. Available on Comixology.

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow
A classic Alan Moore/Curt Swan story. This is a farewell to the Pre Crisis on Infinite Earth's Superman. This is also available on Comixology. The book linked also contains "For the Man Who Has Everything," which is another must read. It was also the basis for an episode of Justice League Unlimited.

Superman Beyond
Another Morrison story, with pencils by Doug Mahnke. This story is an essential part of Final Crisis, but for some reason it was sold separately. It is however, included in the proper spot in the Final Crisis trade. It's a balls out crazy story in which Superman attempts to "plug the hole in forever." This story also features all the other Supermen of the 52 parallel worlds helping Superman.

Superman: Birthright
A great Superman origin by Mard Waid and Lenil Francis Yu. Available on Comixology.

Up, Up, and Away
Kurt Busiek and Geoff Johns tell a great post-Infinite Crisis story in which Superman jumps back into action after having been depowered for a year.

Superman: Secret Origin
Geoff Johns and Gary Frank take a crack at the Superman origin story. This is a pretty good one as well. Available on Comixology.

The Mark Millar run on Superman Adventures is probably the best work that Mark Millar's ever done.

#16, #19, #22, #23, #24, #25, #26, #27 (great Luthor story), #28, #29, #30, #31, #33, #34, #35, #36 (one of my favorite one-shot Superman stories,) #37, #38, #41 (Millar says 'gently caress decompression' and does 22 one-page stories,) and #52. Many of these were collected in digest format here, here, here and here.

Red Son A popular Mark Millar story in which Superman's rocket lands in Soviet Russia instead of Smallville, Kansas, obviously resulting in a different turn of events.

Superman Secret Identity
Kurt Busiek has a rather unique take on the entire Superman story. If you're interested in Superman as a family man, check this out.

Lex Luthor: Man of Steel
This unique take on Superman from Brian Azzarello features Lex Luthor as the main protagonist.

If you have any other recommendations, post them, and I'll include them here.

The New 52
On August 31, 2011, DC relaunched their books with all new #1's and new creative teams.

Action Comics #1

Written by Grant Morrison and art by Rags Morales, this story starts six months after Clark Kent has taken up the identity of Superman.

Superman #1

Written by George Perez and art by Jesus Merino

Superboy #1

Written by Scott Lobdell, art by RB Silva and Rob Lean.This looks to be a pretty different re-telling of the Superboy story.

Supergirl #1

Written by Michael Green and Mike Johnson; Art by Mahmud Asrar.

As these other books come out, I'll try to add a better description of them and what the general concensus seems to be. Discuss the last son of Krypton!

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

etcetera08 posted:

Nice OP :D Gonna check out some of the Comixology recommended reading.

Also, I think I read that the first collection of All-Star Superman is shipping next week?

It's been in print forever. It's probably just a reprint. You shouldn't have any trouble getting it from a bookseller.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Second after the Absolute volume. :smug:

It's worth nothing that "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" is also available in the Alan Moore DC Universe trade along with "For the Man Who Has Everything" although it appears to be out of print.

The collection I linked has both of those in it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

So does anyone want to talk about Action Comics?

The best way to describe it was like getting a kick in the rear end by Superman. It seems that he has the same moral center he's always had. He is just really raw. He's youthful, immature, and brash. He hates injustice and wants to stick up for the little guy. He has no problem taking down "Mr. Metropolis" as well as a no-body wife beater.

Someone brought up his landlady, and that she's probably not quite what she seems. I'm also very curious about the Teetotaler that was with Mr. Glenmorgan. As he escapes he is holding that Glenmorgan's tie, and with a sneer says, "Won't somebody help poor Mr. Glenmorgan." He also shows up later and gives the green light on the train bomb. He's gotta be working for Luthor. I'm also guessing he tipped off Superman through Clark or his paper? Is he the Mr. Taylor that Clark is speaking to?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Liberal Idiot posted:

Mr. Taylor is George Taylor, Clark's editor at the Daily Star. But you're probably right about that little weasely guy working for Luthor.

Gotcha. Clark was telling his boss what the informant told him. It's probably the weasel guy.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Thanks guys. The recommendations have been added to the OP.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

I heard the Action Comics run before the reboot was really good. What was it about?

After the New Krypton storyline, it starred Lex Luthor as he searched for Black Lantern energy from Blackest Night. It was great.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Well yeah, there's your problem. The OP lists a lot of the major hits that truly elevate Superman beyond the "cartoon cutout" level, although I can think of some that were left out.

Please list them.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Incendiary Pig posted:

What's the deal with Superman's costume in Action Comics? Is it going to change, or is it going to stay as jeans and a t-shirt? Because I really loving hate the jeans and t-shirt look.

Action Comics is set 5 years ago. Since in other comics we see him in a more traditional costume, we know it will change at some point. Also you're wrong because the jeans/tshirt outfit is awesome and works really well with the whole man of the people social justice thing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I actually have to disagree with how they wrote Clark. Every season would start or end with him FINALLY deciding to become a superhero and then something dumb happens to make him change his mind.

It's a very lovely show with a couple of good actors working on it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Smallville also had the most amazing product placement ever. Stride Gum.

Plus all the music used in a given episode was just an advertisement for something new from a WB owned label.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Wade Wilson posted:

I saw a commercial for Smallville once that looked like it had a ridiculous low-budget version of Dr. Fate in it (as in, low budget TV show CG Dr. Fate, complete with helmet and cape and crazy pink lasers) and the Justice League tower, did that ever actually happen in the show or am I misremembering it?

It did. Most of the JSA did appear in a few episodes. Most of those were writen by Geoff Johns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

d00gZ posted:

Yo, did Grant Morrison just get away with publishing a Superman comic where he basically says DC's lawyers are the devil, and that the creators of Superman got completely hosed? Did that just happen?

How the gently caress did this get published?

I usually always miss these things when I read a book the first time, but I read the book before I saw your post and it was clear as day.

• Locked thread