Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

TheKingPuuChuu posted:

So I guess a shop in North Carolina thinks that Superman is a huge Christian, and would never say "God".

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/08/north-carolina-comic-shop-to-boycott-action-comics/

Ugh. It's comics, people. COMICS.

Also, I don't think Superman was saying "god", to me it looked more like a gutteral noise. Thoughts?

The funniest part of this to me is that this isn't even what taking the lord's name in vain means, even if that's what was happening in that panel. Those who are most offended when it comes to their religion seem to know the least about it, on such a scale that you can practically set your clock to it.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Haha, why the gently caress would a guy who was found in the wreckage of an alien spacecraft be a Christian anyway? That is a weird thing to assume about him.

Evie from Awesomed By Comics said basically this, and it didn't make any sense then either. Christianity is not a race, it is not a genetic condition, it is a set of beliefs that you are taught. A family of farmers in Kansas is likely to be Christian, and therefore likely to raise their adopted son that way too, alien or no. Doubly so back when his origin was written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

E the Shaggy posted:

Aren't the first six issues of Action Comics set in the past, and then Morrison will start writing present Supes?

Correct.

Incidentally, Justice League #1 is set less than a year later than this story, and he's already in the hilariously awful armor thing there, so this look is unfortunately not long for this world.

• Locked thread