Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think the drama inherent to Superman is that he's this guy with varying levels of Godlike powers, he genuinely wants to do the right thing, but he doesn't necessarily know what the right thing always means. That's why Hyperion, Red Son Superman, and the animated Justice Lord Superman are so appealing. Superman could, out of meaning well, just become a dictator and tell people what to do. Those what-if stories are reminder of the temptation that the "real" Superman always faces.

I really like Superman: The Dark Side for this reason. Since Kal-El's rocket was diverted to Apokolips he has no choice but to become the kind of person you'd expect a son of Darkseid to be, but he eventually grows beyond that and learns that might doesn't make right after all. Also, it actually weaves Superman into the New Gods mythos far more than the simple premise would imply.

Speaking of Elsewords, I was always amused by the juxtaposition of theses of The Nail and Marvel's The Sentry miniseries: if you remove Superman from the DC universe it turns into the Marvel universe, and if you add Superman to the Marvel universe it turns into the DC universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bob Quixote posted:

Well Supermans modern costume isn't really iconic or original, its just based on what circus acrobats and weightlifters wore back in the 30's.

Based on, not directly copied. Most of those guys were either wearing just the trunks or a single-piece unitard thing, and Superman's take on it is as original as it gets without literally inventing a new idea from scratch. It's iconic because it's the unique, immediately reconizable, archetypal look of the character that fathered the entire superhero genre. What do most people first think of when they think of superheroes? Dude in a skintight bodysuit, trunks on the outside and a cape, a.k.a. Superman.

How could someone say that what the premiere superhero has worn, with rare and short-lived exceptions, for over three quarters of a century isn't iconic? :psyduck:

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 23, 2011

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Revol posted:

I guess we can always hope that in a few years we'll get the story where Superman realizes his mistake and draws this back.

At least they could use it as a learning experience for this version of the character. Clark leaving the Planet combined with Superman shacking up with Wonder Woman could have the effect of distancing him from his human identity, which at first doesn't seem too bad because he can be Superman nearly full-time and deal with disasters and supervillains 24/7, while having a girlfriend that can kick as much rear end as he can and he can share all his secrets and experiences with, seems like a pretty solid deal! But it slowly starts eating away at him, being on the job around the clock and coming home to a partner who is literally in the company of gods on a daily basis; Superman's powers may make him like a god, too, but his mind and soul are as human as you are I. He doesn't need to sleep, but he does need rest. He comes to realize that Clark isn't a choice but a necessity, a fundamental side of himself that needs to exist just as much as Superman does. And Clark doesn't just needs a job where he can make a difference on his own, but he needs friends and loved ones of his own, too... just like he had at the Daily Planet.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

goldenoreos posted:

the thing that caught my eye was the Batman/Superman cover. So far my favorite rendition of the lackluster Superman costume.

I totally agree, but by the same token it just makes it look like a really good Elseworlds Finest cover.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Shapiro posted:

I liked the drawing of Rags writing on his hand, because it looks like it's actually done from the perspective of the person drawing the book. Like, the artist himself is reaching into it.

I phrased that badly, but maybe you get what I mean.

I totally get what you mean, and it's really cool.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

God, I love that quote so loving much. It also explains so much of why the Superbooks are hard to write for on a regular basis -- that's not too difficult to build grand sweeping epics and deep emotional one-offs around, not so much to spin weekly adventures out of.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

We love it when you're you, too :allears:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

that article posted:

I also spoke with Floating World Comics’ Jason Leivian, who—like Chicago’s Challengers Comics—has found a pretty fantastic solution: Yes, he’ll be selling the issue, but 100 percent of Floating World’s proceeds from the book will be going to “All Out or another LGBT charity organization.”

“While I feel that a financial boycott may hit DC’s bottom line a little harder,” Leivian says, “I like that there has been a large public response to this story and I’d like to spin it in the opposite direction by using this controversy to directly support organizations Orson Scott Card would be opposed to.”

Rhyno posted:

Well poo poo. Now I need to step up my game. I'm going to donate a check for our total sales of AoS #1 out of my personal funds.

I really love this response since the typical defeatist reaction to a boycott is "it won't make any difference so why bother", so turning it around into a positive opposing-force reaction to effect real change is like the perfect Superman solution.

Also I really hope they use that cover someday,

it's a great cover.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Well DC should be, or at least do something.

They could start by not hiring Orson Scott Card.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Chinaman7000 posted:

I don't love the trunks, but I do hate how he looks without them. Too much blue. The costume shouldn't look like its trying to be taken serious. Batman can work cause he's in shadows so much, but Supes should look kinda cheesy. He has a giant red cape and blue bodysuit anyways, fighting the cheese-factor just calls attention to it.

The funny thing about the suit in Man of Steel is, in a production special they said it's the basic layer of armor that all Kryptonians wear and that's why red underwear doesn't fit the new aesthetic, but... shouldn't the most basic layer of any kind of full-body armor include groin protection? Some kind of chainmail-like briefs or some extra padding like the stuff around his torso would make perfect sense with that aesthetic, while it currently looks more like a stylized diving suit. For the first time in Superman history they have a logical reason for briefs and they didn't follow through with it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Hey guys, I thought you might appreciate this meta-commentary from this week's issue of Injustice.

I want to take a picture of myself with these pages in a thought bubble as I do the "Spider-Man No More" pose with a stack of New 52 comics in the trash can, then mail it to Dan DiDio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah well, let's see Aquaman drop some whales on him this time :smugbert:

• Locked thread