Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

gogisha posted:

I don't know if anyone's brought this up before, but I kind of think Morrisson has written a better version of Superman: Red Son than Millar did. While not as literal or obvious as Millar's version, the younger Supes in Action, both aesthetically and through his punishment of exploitative corporate heads, to me, seems closer to what an idealized USSR hero might have been. He definitely still has many of the US ideals of 30s Supes, so just a thought.

Uh that's a ridiculous claim since the ultimate point of Red Son was that Superman went too far in trying to solve social ills with his advanced intellect and powers and in so doing robbed humanity of choice. You can't honestly claim Morrison's admittedly pro-worker's rights young Superman is the same character, much less a "better version" of him.

That's like saying Batman Beyond is a better version of Batman from The Dark Knight Returns because they're both from the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So I was discussing Action Comics and Ultimate Spider-man with a friend and we kind of broached the subject of "what if they made Superman black or otherwise non-white in this reboot". I'm not saying they should've done that, but the in-story reasons for why it wouldn't work are pretty much non-existent since he's an alien from a planet that I assume isn't populated entirely by white people, and is adopted to boot. The only real argument against it is that it would mess with his iconic look, but there's something to be said for the idea of making the premiere superhero who is also the best superhero that everyone looks up to something other than a square-jawed blue eyed white boy.

Anyway it's just a thought that came up. I know if DC had actually done this a bunch of "not-racist" people would have completely flipped their poo poo and boycotted DC, not to mention Fox News and friends running away with it as "the PC police corrupting youth media" but as I said it'd be really hard to explain how anything that makes Superman work would be lost if he didn't just happen to look like a white guy.

Thoughts?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Magic Love Hose posted:

Anyone else get a copy where Superman was wearing a white shirt all the way throughout? I thought that was... odd.

Yeah, talk about a major coloring gently caress-up. The entire "working Superman" costume design rests on the iconic blue shirt, and you go and mess that up?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sefer posted:

We definitely have culturally ingrained knowledge of John Henry in the states. It's safe to assume just about anyone reading it in America (or Canada, apparently) would understand the reference.

I can't believe I never made the John Henry/Steel connection before reading that issue. Even just being peripherally aware of the character should have been like "doy", it's about as subtle as the Hate Monger's purple KKK outfit, or the Hank Henshaw/Reed Richards parallel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

As someone who got into this book in spite of Morrison's name on the cover, I hated this issue. I'm starting to think we're just never going to get back to the adventures of Worker's Rights Superman, and like a lot of Morrison books we're just going to go through an endless series of new ideas without really doing anything with the ones introduced in previous issues. I don't give half a poo poo about anything that happened this issue (except the part where Jonathan Kent gave the feds that mutant calf, that ruuled). If this keeps up I'm just gonna drop the book and call it the Morrison book that took the longest to lose me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yannick_B posted:

I love Smallville and I wouldnt say its lovely because a) it lasted 10 years, so it did something right

That's not even close to a measure of quality and you know it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yannick_B posted:

I think that show is televised disease, but its a pretty flawless delivery machine for all those terrible jokes, through even terribler characters.

So your idea of something lovely is something unsuccessful, and no matter how terrible something is, if it were lovely it would just get wiped out by the invisible hand of the free market?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

d00gZ posted:

Man, whenever when Lady Styx was going to be a new Darkseid-level cosmic villain? And then she just appeared in a few phoned-in Starlin books and that was it? And got a really boring origin that didn't follow up on any of the hints in 52?

That sounds an awful lot like Nebula and how she was used by most writers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Entertainer13 posted:

Clark's incompetent actions and idiocy were pretty consistent throughout the show. He wasn't out-of-character, he was just a moron in this universe. We must accept this and move on.

0r we could watch the show for 10 entire seasons while constantly clinging to the vain hope that it will suddenly become an actual show about Superman despite all evidence to the contrary.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I've never read a Diggle book that I didn't hate, drop that poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Her and Brian Azzarello

I was reading right through all of Hellblazer but that prison arc completely killed my interest in the book.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Little Mac posted:

Wait, why do we hate Max Landis?

He's rich and popular and younger than most of us.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hey guys, I thought you might appreciate this meta-commentary from this week's issue of Injustice.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's my favorite DC comic besides Dial H. I freaking love it. It has tons of amazing character moments.

As for the art issues, the print edition features art fixes, so it might be worth waiting on those.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 8, 2013

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I will not be silenced. Doomsday is essentially not even a character. He's an excuse. He's a hype machine that somehow has turned into a legacy of continuous, vacuous hype generation.

Not being a character is what makes him cool! He's just a big grey bony one-dimensional fist who exists to punch Superman in the face.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Those fingerless gloves are aawwwwfuuuul. Kudos to them for sticking to the "no red underwear" rule, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I liked his Superman comic where Joker fights Superman.

Guy's a huge douche though, I don't really know if he can ever convey the kind of inspiring, touching stuff some people want from Superman comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Superman is dressed suspiciously like Max Landis there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teen Doomsday was hitting on his girl.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, I've had the same thoughts. Superman's probably the character who would be improved most and lose the least by becoming non-white.

It'd also make people who view him as a symbol of the perfect white man really super angry. It's unfortunate that it will never, ever happen.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Pastiches can never have the pop culture power of the actual character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Smallville was a very Silver Age show if you think about it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Chaos Hippy posted:

Mongul's definitely one of Superman's guys, though he was pretty heavily involved in Johns' GL run, and duked it out with Hal in Engine City in the last couple issues of Reign of the Supermen in the 90s (the story that gave us Superman's black suit and long hair). Mxy's basically omnipotent, so I'd have a hard time characterising him as "lower-tier".

I mean, he was involved, but not all that heavily. He was inexplicably in the Sinestro Corps along with Cyborg Superman and uh, the Anti-Monitor, but he didn't do all that much.

The Anti-Monitor wearing a uniform is still so incredibly weird to me. The guy destroyed multiple universes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't know, Johns' Green Lantern passed through my brain like a McDonald's hamburger passes through my guts.

I seem to remember he tore out Arkillo's tongue or something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

And doesn't wear pants.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

As far as I can tell she was just a housewife on Smallville, at least at first. I'm sure she was some kind of high-powered businesswoman engaged to Lionel Luthor or whatever by the end of it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

It's really proved that the problem with Superman isn't that he's too powerful.

That's really only a problem when he's not off in his own little corner. It becomes a serious issue when he has to team up with like Nightwing or whatever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Johns seems to think Yang is the best Superman writer ever.

Does Yang's Superman get in a lot of convoluted pointless wars where hundreds of side characters die in incredibly violent ways?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I can't wait until the full page splash of Jimmy Olsen getting his head ripped off by some no name Zod henchman to show that things are REALLY SERIOUS.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Maybe they don't want Superman to be a furry.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Maybe that was The Superboy That Isn't Young Superman and Dario is confused by DC's terrible continuity.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Super League will take place across two issues of Action Comics, Superman, Batman Superman and Superman Wonder Woman.

Do you ever feel like you're working in an inherently immoral industry?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I heard a guy on a podcast say Superman: Grounded is "what a classic Superman story should be like"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's unclear if he read it much, maybe he just likes the premise.

• Locked thread