Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Himuro posted:

I really liked Superman #1. Anyone else read it? The changes to the Daily Planet's structure and Lois and Clark's relationship have a lot of potential.

I loved it. It was a swell symbiosis of new and old, as well as an informative introduction. There's a potential arc in place, but that didn't get in the way of a complete story on its own. There's a lot to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
What timing. I've been going through All-Star Superman for the first time and last night I read the Pa Kent issue. There's this lovely full page panel of Supes and Krypto sitting on the moon together, staring at Earth. I thought, "You know, Krypto ought to be in every Superman story. It's such a good relationship between man and dog."

RIP, fair alien canine. I like the reboot, but it wasn't worth it. It wasn't worth it...:cry:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What was the ghost dog in reference to? That panel completely threw me off. Was it a signal to get in touch with "Icarus" whoever that may be?

I think it was in reference to the fact that they savagely killed Krypto in the previous issue.

Issue #3 of Action was, in a word, amazing. I loved that whole Krypton introduction, I loved Clark Kent working for a rag newspaper, I loved all this Brainiac madness, not to mention Metallo becoming a vessel for it. That was a well-spent four bucks.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I think it's been pretty good; after the Superman stuff she tussled with this trillionaire villain, and now in issue 5 she's found the long-dead domed Argo City. The mystery is contrived but not too complicated, and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

On the art side of things, hell loving yeah. Is there something special to the coloring technique that's being implemented in it (I'm not intimately familiar with illustration)? It's one of few comics where I can ever recall thinking about how I specifically loved the color, and it integrates magnificently with what Asrar's doing.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Space_Butler posted:

Action #6 reminded me of when I first started reading Morrison comics; I had absolutely no idea what was happening, but I loved every moment of it. I especially loved how organically all of the flashbacks were incorporated, and I'm glad Morrison is acknowledging that much of his upbringing remains exactly the same despite the changes (meeting the legion at a young age, having Pete and Lana as best friends, pulling some silver age superboy-esque stunts across town, etc). Phenomenal.

This is essentially my sentiment as well, though my experience with Morrison is fairly limited outside of Doom Patrol and All Star Superman so I wasn't sure if my confusion was because of my unfamiliarity or if this was just par for the course. These issues have been weird but they've got that wonderful romanticism that I need in a Superman story.

And the backup was once again magnificent and understated.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Is the Brainiac spaceship going to be his new Fortress of Solitude? Because I think that's pretty cool.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Ugenesis posted:

Can someone post what Morrison did or sum it up?

The Lex Luthor of Earth 23 has created some sort of crazy music machine that can access other universes, and out tumble a dying Jimmy, Clark, and a one-eyed Lois. They explain to President Superman that they had created this device that could manifest the human imagination, and together they created the perfect Superman, who "articulate[d] a code of ethics so pure and simple and good that we all wept." Needing more money, they take this idea to a rich technology corporation and they bastardize the concept, creating this horrific embodiment of cynicism and greed, who destroys their world and is hellbent on destroying all of the other universes as well.

It's brilliant.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
There's plenty I left out. This is the money quote:

"We sold out! They had 500 experts lined up, thinking in harmony to streamline the Superman brand for maximum cross-spectrum, wide platform appeal. They built a violent, troubled, faceless anti-hero, concealing a tragic secret life, a global marketing icon. Everybody wears its brand. It makes people feel part of something big and new and cool."

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Can Rags Morales just go away already? The few pages he actually gets done don't look very good, and then they're just blown away in quality by the other artists that fill in the rest.

Otherwise I am absolutely loving Action right now.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I have to say I'm pretty pumped to see Krypto.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

gogisha posted:

I've been really digging Action thus far, but if this is true I'll have to write a thank you letter to Morrison for making it happen.

Ever since reading All-Star Superman I simply can't imagine Supes without him. He's integral in my mind.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

horsepeen posted:

Also, are backup issues usually included in the collected hardcovers? I'm just curious if they're going to be collected in next month's Action Comics Hardcover.

I sure as hell hope so because every single one of them has been fantastic.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Dead is not the same thing as irrelevant. I think one of the most wonderful things Morrison has done so far in Action is occasionally insert a panel of Clark with his parents amidst the chaos. It's such an effective way of driving home the moral legacy that they left for him.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I already said it in the DC thread but Sholly Fisch has my vote of confidence. A lot of his backups are great, but the one that really sticks out for me was the one about the Kents trying to have a baby before they found Clark.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
#12 was dense, but I really got a kick out of it, especially that crazy poo poo at the end with his landlady.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Realtalk: Superman in a t-shirt and jeans should be his only costume for the rest of time.

#0 was great. Ben Oliver's style is far more suited to the tone of this take on Supes than Morales.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I feel like Action #9 is far more condemnatory of the more recent iterations of Superman than it is of anything that had to do with Siegel/Schuster. That is to say, it's not the creators that suffered, but the dream itself, which meant that we all suffered.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Yeah, that whole comic was beautifully moving. It had a real creative implementation of the Phantom Zone and a superb understanding of why Krypto is a necessary component of the Superman myth; without his dog he's truly alone. Man, I'm gonna miss Morrison on this title; is Fisch going to keep writing backups?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
That is just the worst of all news.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Because his opinions on superheroes are narrow-minded and he's very boorish about them.

Having said that, I really liked the annual backup. Ryan Sook's art was awesome.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

bobkatt013 posted:

I hate him because his father is an awful person who is partially responsible for the death of three people.

That's a generous way of putting it. Dude entirely ignored a myriad of safety concerns that came from his own crew which led to the deaths of a man and two children.

It's deplorable enough that I feel bad that Max Landis will probably have to hear about that poo poo his whole career.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I thought the main story in Action today was garbage. Didn't we last leave this story with Clark going to the fifth dimension with his landlady? What happened between then and winding up on Mars? I've been so pumped on this storyline but this issue was such a letdown in that regard.

The backup, on the other hand, was fantastic. Sholly Fisch really gets emotional beats. Also, Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
OK, you guys are doing a great deal to put my mind at ease. Digesting this kind of story in monthly fashion is an odd experience, to say nothing of the fact that we haven't gotten back to this particular story in 3 months.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Space_Butler posted:

Holy poo poo, are we actually, FINALLY going to get another good Superman movie? Is this really happening?

They cast Michael Shannon in it, so it's safe to say yes.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
You could just pluck any mention or appearance of H'el out of this week's Supergirl and the story would be exactly the same. Such a waste of space.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
He's a guy, and I think the reason you don't see him doing a full comic story is that he's busy doing a lot of work in other media too.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Oh man, we're really entering a Superman dark age here.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Is one of the heads of the Vyndktvx hydra Pa Kent? Who are all those heads? Just different dimensional aspects of Vyndktvx?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Scott Lobdell posted:

I'm grateful for the opportunity to share in Superman's 75th Anniversary year with two such great writers, and I promise not to let anyone down!

Whoops!

Every interview where he talks about Superman just depresses the hell out of me. How does a guy who tells superhero stories for a living have so little grasp of Superman in a thematic sense?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Cyborg Superman was, is, and will always be a less cool version of Metallo.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I already miss the jeans.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I bought the first one and loved Jae Lee's art but Pak's writing left a lot to be desired. Is it about on the same level in the second issue?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Interestingly enough, I thought the best part of #1 was those bright, pastoral interpretations of Clark's childhood on the farm.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Still looks better than the original.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

FilthyImp posted:

Why do you hate the 90s?

I will not be silenced. Doomsday is essentially not even a character. He's an excuse. He's a hype machine that somehow has turned into a legacy of continuous, vacuous hype generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Adventures of Superman #15 is a hell of a good Superman story with some purdy art.

• Locked thread