Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
texas chili bowl
Apr 13, 2008

Ankles and beards are serious business
Dammit goons :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
Ultimate Pajama Choking killed my baby

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
crime BJJ doesn't pay

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
jits don't kill people because it doesn't work

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

quote:

Even I, an ardent supporter of the sport and a life-long believer in the role of combat sports in teaching young people respect, self-control and [b]honor[b], shudder to think of going to high school in a world where all the bullies know Jiu-Jitsu and "train UFC."
:goonsay:

He will teach them the true meaning of honor with his Hanzo steel.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
all the bullies are already on the wrestling or football team, or boxing after school. At least Bjj makes stopping when someone submits an almost Pavlovian response.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Nice backpack faggo, now, you're going to "get" it *bully menacingly pounds fists, then falls to his butt and crab walks towards a nerd*

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

GET IN MY GUARD

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
I'm certainly glad when I was in high school the bullies didn't know UFC. I could have fell victim to so many triangle chokes.

Why do people write that poo poo?

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

this one time in high school the bully reversed omoplata'd me :qq:

drat you ultimate fighting contest

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Even I, an ardent supporter of the sport and a life-long believer in the role of combat sports in teaching young people respect, self-control and honor, shudder to think of going to high school in a world where all the bullies know Jiu-Jitsu and "train UFC."

. /
/

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Even I, run-on sentence, think bjj doesn't work.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Dave Meltzer posted:

Diaz was punished for no-showing in a big way, including being taken out of a fight he’s wanted for years and basically his career in UFC was at stake if he wouldn’t have faced Penn,

:eng99:

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Just ask anyone at the Zephyrhills, Florida party in July of this year who saw 19-year-old aspiring MMA fighter Samuel Smith beaten to death in a carport after challenging 27-year-old Richard Starks, Jr. to a fight.

To be fair, this guy apparently would not have been the best fighter anyway

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
drat, you're not allowed to stomp unruly party guests and throw their unconscious bodies outside? isn't that more or less what bar bouncers do for a living?

RevlisYdoc
Jun 24, 2011

This owl. This fucking owl will not stop staring into my soul. Help.
Most bouncers don't know jits and/or the role of combat sports in teaching young people respect, self-control and honor.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ChampRamp posted:

Why do people write that poo poo?

If I could make a career out of justifying how important stuff is using the Google search results metric, I would.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Nice backpack faggo, now, you're going to "get" it *bully menacingly pounds fists, then falls to his butt and crab walks towards a nerd*

the only reason i want to start training is if i see any bullies to immediately start doing this

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Someone post the gif where Werdum offers Sergei side control.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Brazilian men seem to love getting cursive written on their forearms.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

clearly a man that knows mma

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

So here are some new excellent articles:

How Floyd Mayweather and Victor Ortiz Hijacked the MMA Media

David Castillo posted:

This article would be bound to foster hatred towards me if anyone read the site, but I'm just doing what all the cool kids are doing: looking for hits, any way I can. After all, with a title like this, you know I've got all kinds of spiteful things to say about the MMA media. Well, not really. And well, kind of. [ Admitting to trolling in opening sentences]

In case you don't go out much, boxing is having a big event this weekend. Floyd Mayweather is fighting Victor Ortiz. It's a solid substitute for the anticipated money match between Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao. Ortiz isn't what I'd call a live underdog per se, but it's a proper match on its own. Ortiz is fresh off his win over the previously undefeated (and heralded) Andrew Berto (a fighter still containing a healthy dose of raw talent). The fight itself is amazing, and worth viewing. Both fighters were hurt, but Ortiz proved to be more durable.

Ortiz is billed as a brawler with a puncher's chance. And this is more or less correct. But he's a brawler with skill too. How else to explain how of his 33 fights he has knocked down every opponent? On top of that there's the worry that Mayweather's age (at 34) could be a factor. After all, in the ring, age isn't a factor until you're being asked how many fingers the doctor is holding up. The pugilistic cherry on top is a fantastic undercard: the type of undercard boxing is simply not known for. Prospects (Saul Alvarez and Pablo Cano), veterans (Alfonso Gomez), and an aging legend (Erik Morales) populate what makes for what should be boxing's most respectable event all year.

I'll never be on the same ground as some of my fellow MMA fans who think these so called "peripheral" fight sports are not worth watching just because MMA is so comprehensive in its exploration of fight technique. Boxing is a brilliant, unflinchingly brutal, and beautiful sport. A sport appropriately dubbed the 'sweet science' for its violent marriage of technique, and passion. This is what confuses me about MMA fans: how could you possibly value a fight like Forrest Griffin vs. Stephan Bonnar, or Chang Sung Jung vs. Leonard Garcia and not find any interest whatsoever in the Morales/Barrera trilogy, De La Hoya/Mosley 1, or Jorge Arce vs. Hussein Hussein 1? It boggles my limited mind how this could be.

I'm fascinated when an MMA site takes the time to cover sports that highlight components of MMA on their own. I write for Head Kick Legend after all. But what I don't get is how the discussion between the two sports is being framed as adversarial.

Josh Nason posted one of the most ill advised pieces I've ever seen written when he declared that MMA won the combat sports war when UFC 132 delivered a great night of fights while boxing failed (Wladimir Klitschko had defended his title in an uneventful fight against David Haye, which Haye would later blame on an injured toe). What exactly defined victory there? Because it certainly wasn't PPV buys. The difference in quality wasn't debatable, but then neither was the lameness if you were to compare the Klitschko/Haye fight to another HW fight at the time: Alistair Overeem vs. Fabricio Werdum, which existed right there in the same poo poo space as said boxing match.

Brent Brookhouse would respond, quoting Anthony Pace in describing the boxing vs. MMA meme as a 'war of fiction'. It still is, but you wouldn't know it judging by the coverage over Mayweather/Ortiz. Luke Thomas thinks that if Ortiz wins, the UFC needs to put on a super fight. Jonathan Snowden isn't shy about which card is better either.

Well, yea, it's a Fight Night. Floyd Mayweather sells, always has, and the boxing brass have finally given a main event proper support with a great undercard. Of course boxing is selling the better fights. Likewise, nobody's gonna compare ESPN Friday Night Fights to UFC 137. Thomas' comments are even more bizarre. Whatever reasons the UFC has to put on a superfight, they should be completely organic, and not in any way influenced by what boxing is doing, or has failed to do. That would be the supreme fool's errand.

The idea of a "superfight" deserves discussion on its own, in addition. After all, in MMA when we talk about a superfight, we're talking about Georges St. Pierre vs. Silva, or Anderson Silva vs. Jon Jones. In both cases, the significant size differences deserve reflection. And they ignore their respective career paths. GSP has legit contenders in front of him, especially if Diaz beats Penn. Meanwhile, Jon Jones' last fight was for the belt for god's sake.

Luke does hit on a salient point. If I understand him correctly, this war, no matter how fictitious, could pay dividends for the UFC if Ortiz wins. Why? Becayse they finally have the platform to validate Dana's criticism of boxing, while expanding on the stigma of the UFC's virtuous attitude towards their fans. "Boxing never gets anything f---ing right!", Dana would undoubtedly tweet, except now the strength of network television sits comfortably on his shoulders.

Still, this divide is a false one. If it ever feels real, it's entirely because of the silly read meat polemic Dana and Arum throw at one another. Meanwhile, fans lap it up, eager to regurgitate their invective. But it's silly. While the political structures warrant comparison, the competitors do not. Have we forgotten that Penn is fighting Diaz? Or that Edgar is fighting Maynard? On the flipside, Mayweather/Ortiz is a great event. Now sing kumbaya you idiots (and take the poll after the jump).

*Myself Included**.

**Not that I count.

Scabscar
Sep 30, 2008
HKL has, like, one person left on staff who isnt a bloody elbow washout. That should give people an idea of their quality these days.

Also i hate the way all the SB Nation bloggers refer to each other in their posts to try and bump up interest, its bush league even for them. Every time I see poo poo like this I am forced to reconcile myself to a world where Snowden exists.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

From Maggie Hendricks over at Yahoo's Cagewriter, UFC Allows Questionable Music Choices at UFN 25:

quote:

One of the fun parts of a live UFC event is the way fighters use music to pump up as they walk out to the Octagon, but two fighters made questionable choices in their walkout songs at Ultimate Fight Night 25. Those bad decisions were then repeated by UFC president Dana White, who approves every song that is used by fighters.

Ken Stone, who won via submission, walked out to the Prodigy song, "Smack My Bitch Up." The song repeats two lines, "Smack my bitch up, change my pitch up." When it was released in 1997, it was protested by women's groups as condoning violence towards women. MTV only allowed the song to be played late at night, and Wal-Mart and K-Mart pulled the CD from its stores. Prodigy released a statement that the song was not about violence, but that's not apparent from its lyrics.

The next bad decision was when Matt Riddle walked out to the Scorpions song, "Rock You Like a Hurricane." In most cities, it's the perfect song to walk out to, but these fights took place in New Orleans. That's a city that was literally rocked by a hurricane in 2005. Hurricane Katrina's effects are still being felt in New Orleans, as they struggle to restore their population and status as a tourist destination to pre-Katrina levels.

The UFC generally controls their brand very tightly, and UFC officials confirmed to Cagewriter that White approves every walkout song. He has vetoed songs in the past. It's surprising that the UFC would let these two songs slip through.

MMA Journalism: You probably didn't notice this but you should probably be outraged

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
Someone buy her an account so she can get to weigh in on the sexualization of women in video games-- did you know that the average cup size of aaaaaaahhhhhhhh:gb2gbs:

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

CarlCX posted:

From Maggie Hendricks over at Yahoo's Cagewriter, UFC Allows Questionable Music Choices at UFN 25:

MMA Journalism: You probably didn't notice this but you should probably be outraged

I hate this bitch so much so I will add to this. After Dana White called Loretta Hunt a bitchcunt, she personally felt offended that he was attacking ALL females, or maybe just pretending so she could write an article about how she feels like a victim.

Maggie Hendricks posted:

Since I've started with Cage Writer, I have been worried from time to time that I would not be welcome at fights or in gyms. After all, MMA is definitely a man's world. However, I've never felt unwelcome, never felt like I was given an unfair shake, never felt like I didn't belong. But after seeing the president of the corporation that I spend much of my days writing about call another female member of the MMA media a "dumb b----," I instantly become unwelcome in this world. Funny what a few little words can do.

RevlisYdoc
Jun 24, 2011

This owl. This fucking owl will not stop staring into my soul. Help.
Where's that spreadsheet of UFC entrance themes? There has to have been more offensive choices of music that this lady can complain about.

gunblade
Sep 1, 2008

-Just lucky, I guess
Remember this gem?

Top 10 reasons why Strikeforce is the hottest company in mixed martial arts, by Artie Cooper

Doctor Nick
Dec 27, 2003

bleacher report.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

RevlisYdoc posted:

Where's that spreadsheet of UFC entrance themes? There has to have been more offensive choices of music that this lady can complain about.

entrance music xls

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

Complaining about "Smack My Bitch Up," is stupid, the song is over ten years old and everything that needed to be said about it has been said. She does have a point about "Rock Me Like a Hurricane," though. I mean, I just laughed at the insensitivity of it, but I could imagine some of the live crowd being a bit tiffed. Great song and all, but jeez, a little forethought could prevent any controversy whatsoever.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Oh my goodness

ASL NIGGA
Nov 26, 2009

by T. Mascis

this is amazing.

Edit: Mauro Ranallo. a feast for the ears.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Matches-to-Make-After-UFC-Fight-Night-25-35699

Terrible

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Speaking of Sherdog, one of their hosts on their post-UFC radio show complained about Jonathan Brookins' dreadlocks because he hates it when white guys try to co-opt Jamaican culture.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I hate jonathan brookins for being a bad fighter and dragging events down, which is co-opting Corean culture without permission

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

hahahahah

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Artie Cooper is a Farty Pooper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I don't think that Artie Cooper article can be topped. Close thread.

quote:

Well-liked and thoroughly connected in the industry, Coker also has many Hollywood connections and has appeared in films such as Dragon Fight, Berry Gordy’s The Last Dragon and Surf Ninjas.

• Locked thread