Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
The difference between UFC & Bellator gambles? UFC’s cost them millions of dollars

Best case scenario for UFC with the women’s title? Ronda Rousey (Hulk Hogan) losing to Holly Holm (Ultimate Warrior) losing to Miesha Tate (Sgt. Slaughter), with Rousey vs. Tate now having a shiny new angle to another re-match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

The difference between UFC & Bellator gambles? UFC’s cost them millions of dollars

Best case scenario for UFC with the women’s title? Ronda Rousey (Hulk Hogan) losing to Holly Holm (Ultimate Warrior) losing to Miesha Tate (Sgt. Slaughter), with Rousey vs. Tate now having a shiny new angle to another re-match.

i can see why these guys have to write news articles for a living

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

the premise is dumb because they weren't gambles. UFC 196 would've tanked if they didn't keep Conor on the card, and the money fight available to them was Nate Diaz. Also the UFC wanted Holly to wait for a Ronda rematch but Holly didn't want to wait, plus it turned out that Ronda wasn't coming back for a whole year anyways, so they had to match up Holly with somebody.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

1st AD posted:

the premise is dumb because they weren't gambles. UFC 196 would've tanked if they didn't keep Conor on the card, and the money fight available to them was Nate Diaz. Also the UFC wanted Holly to wait for a Ronda rematch but Holly didn't want to wait, plus it turned out that Ronda wasn't coming back for a whole year anyways, so they had to match up Holly with somebody.

also I don't buy his nonsense about the Diaz brothers becoming powerful again!! The Diaz brothers have always maintained popularity and the problems UFC had with Nate a few years ago won't be applicable to where he's at today. Two years ago Nate was disgruntled with UFC cause they were offering him 20/20 to get his rear end kicked by Khabib. Now they're likely going to offer him a million dollars to fight Robbie for the welterweight title. He isn't going to be "a great pain in the rear end" as Zach Arnold puts it.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo
I don't see how either result hurts the UFC long term. Tate winning all but guarantees Rousey will return which is huge for them no matter who she fights. And if she wins, that makes a potential Holm rematch that much bigger.

As for McGregor...so what if he lost? You think more people would have bought this card if he fought RDA? I don't. So if he lost against RDA, they're in the same place where he goes back to 145 to defend like he probably would have anyway. At least here he could still in theory fight at 155 with no record. People act like no fighter has ever kept popularity after a loss. I mean who remembers (insert literally all but a handful of fighters that ever existed).

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Most mma journalists are just garden variety dumb and uninformed, but Zach Arnold has a special talent for knowing a lot about the history of the sport and using that information to come to the stupidest conclusions imaginable.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

I don't see how either result hurts the UFC long term. Tate winning all but guarantees Rousey will return which is huge for them no matter who she fights. And if she wins, that makes a potential Holm rematch that much bigger.

As for McGregor...so what if he lost? You think more people would have bought this card if he fought RDA? I don't. So if he lost against RDA, they're in the same place where he goes back to 145 to defend like he probably would have anyway. At least here he could still in theory fight at 155 with no record. People act like no fighter has ever kept popularity after a loss. I mean who remembers (insert literally all but a handful of fighters that ever existed).

Congratulations, you are unironically smarter than people who follow this sport as their career

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Really makes you think that you could get a gig in paid journalism. I'm pretty good at talking bollocks, I have all the credentials clearly.

If you're good at it, you may be overqualified.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

quote:

Human imagination is a powerful thing.

It makes us aware of potential dangers and opportunities. It has shaped our sense of culture and informed our social organization. It is the cornerstone of preparation and the catalyst for innovation. It is no coincidence that the one creature on the planet in possession of imaginative capacity is also uniquely the only one inhabiting every corner of it. Imagination convinces us that if we keep moving forward we can reach that next horizon, even if all we are doing is marching forth across one big circular plane. An abundance of imagination is known more simply as “delusion.”

Conor McGregor has thrived off the power of his imagination.

quote:

Picture yourself living on ancient Earth. If you do a rain dance and it rains shortly after, you might call it luck. Do it again and you’d call it coincidence. Do it seven times in a row with record crowds watching, each one yielding a more spectacular monsoon, and you’ll think you’re the chosen bringer of rain sent to quench the thirst of the masses. Welcome to McGregor’s mind.

quote:

It was the crushingly conspicuous sort of irony we so often mistake as karma that permitted jiu-jitsu to be McGregor’s ultimate undoing. Martial arts has always existed with one foot in fantasyland, but jiu-jitsu was the cold, hard reality check for chi-force Kung Fu lore; you can’t land a monkey paw crane strike when you’re pinned on your back getting your arm snapped. Just like you can’t land a single straight left and expect every man to collapse in a jumbled heap or get into a war of attrition with a Diaz brother and emerge victorious. Getting choked out is the ultimate reality checkmate.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Opinion-Conor-McGregor-and-the-Death-of-Imagination-101477 :jerkbag:

Chillanese
Mar 30, 2010
I'm not a sher dogger but those quotes all look fair enough to me, Mr_korn

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It's overwrought and badly written, also wrong.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Chillanese posted:

MMA writers putting out freshman level purple prose is a pet peeve of mine.

see also: The Acquired Taste and Smell of Mike Brown and The Punk Rock Pageantry of Nick Diaz

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

The other thing that none of these "Dana is mad" commentaries never take into consideration is that the UFC knows that the most important time to make a shitload of money on a bankable fighter is now, even if it results in a loss. Conor has already had one ACL surgery; Ronda is crazy. Fighters fail drug tests and disappear. They fade sooner rather than later. Any fight could conceivably be that fighter's last, so "protecting" a fighter to keep "popularity" up in the long term is going to be a losing bet once a fighter goes the way of Pettis/Khabib/Grant/GSP/Chael/Anderson.

e. Cain/Brock/Carwin etc

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chillanese posted:

It's goofy as gently caress

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Ariel Helwani and FOX have parted ways. http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sofqr6

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.

Le Saboteur posted:

Ariel Helwani and FOX have parted ways. http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sofqr6

good.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I should add that I know people who work at FS1 and while they don't work with UFC content, there's a huge number of layoffs happening company wide.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ariel should have taken the CM Punk fight offer.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

1st AD posted:

I should add that I know people who work at FS1 and while they don't work with UFC content, there's a huge number of layoffs happening company wide.

Possibly related: http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/dan-otoole-does-not-seem-very-happy-with-fs1-in-twitter-barrage-about-layoffs.html

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/06/opinion/say-no-to-fight-club-new-york.html

Artists take on Fedor vs Rogers

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

To win a labor war with UFC, Conor McGregor must utilize Fox the way Donald Trump has

Zach Arnold actually starts off relatively coherent and then right off into the deep end

quote:

To change the terrain, fighters must inject an active & strong third-party into the business equation. For MMA, that partner must be Fox. It’s the one opportunity Conor McGregor has make a difference in his business battle with the UFC and he would be wise to take a look at a certain high-profile individual who has used Fox to get what he wanted.

Donald Trump studied the path to the Republican presidential nomination process for years. Trump made sure to maintain a presence on Fox television but by no means did the network build his brand or make him into the media maven. Trump wasn’t like other politicians who had to rely on the Fox machine to build name recognition. The price politicians pay for kissing Fox’s rear end is ridiculous.

Trump instinctively created heat with the face of Fox News, Megyn Kelly. When the battle got hot, Fox treated him like a child and sent Roger Ailes after him. Ailes discovered that Trump wasn’t playing around and demanded that he deal with the big boss, Rupert Murdoch, instead of Ailes. Trump called Fox’s bluff and ran a veteran’s event in Iowa opposite of a Fox presidential debate. He used Fox as a weapon and changed the media chess board to his advantage.

If Conor McGregor wants to win a labor battle with UFC, he’s going to have to pull Fox into the business equation. Fox wants to renew their contract with UFC but is struggling to find its footing. Fox Sports 1 has been a disaster. The UFC network events do poorly in the ratings. The 18-to-34 year old demo is still delicious but not as appetizing as it once was. There’s been talk that Fox Sports 1 may emulate Fox News in terms of tenor and style of programming. A more active, aggressive Fox means an opportunity to insert themselves into creative control of sports properties they do business with. UFC falls right into that category. Fox has largely stayed out of the way of UFC in terms of matchmaking and negotiating with fighters.

In order for Conor McGregor to get what he wants and ultimately change the landscape of how UFC does business, he needs to insert Fox into the business equation. He needs to turn Fox Sports executives like Jamie Horowitz into active participants like Roger Ailes & Rupert Murdoch, the same way Fuji TV let producer Kunio Kiyohara work with PRIDE. Break the binary UFC vs. fighter cycle and introduce a strong third-party into business affairs. Once Fox becomes a more active player in managing & producing UFC TV events, UFC has to sacrifice some leverage in order to maintain their relationship with Fox.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Jeff Sherwood, the dude who created Sherdog, was fired from Sherdog.

TJ De Santis had the most contrived crying spell you could ever imagine on the final show, which was so bad it was good

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

-Atom- posted:

TJ De Santis had the most contrived crying spell you could ever imagine on the final show

What show?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Lads l need help for JT.

"Need a hand i can't find the footage of my first Kimbo fight. I'm after the footage of the AFTERMATH, in the post fight press conference where Gary Slime said I'd gone to the hospotal with exhaustion (his son corneered me in the hallways on my way to said press conference and was being too forcefull in trying to get me to go in an ambulance to go to hopspital and that set off my bull poo poo detecter) So I walked through the press conference doors just in time to hear Gary Slime annouce that I was on my way to hospital and couldn't be there! Just another example of what bullshit was afoot, I wish I would have made more of it at the time. Anyway, if anyone knows where that footage is I'd be eternally greatful"

Anyone got any ideas?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

kimbo305 posted:

What show?

the last Beatdown show

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

willie_dee posted:

Lads l need help for JT.

"Need a hand i can't find the footage of my first Kimbo fight. I'm after the footage of the AFTERMATH, in the post fight press conference where Gary Slime said I'd gone to the hospotal with exhaustion (his son corneered me in the hallways on my way to said press conference and was being too forcefull in trying to get me to go in an ambulance to go to hopspital and that set off my bull poo poo detecter) So I walked through the press conference doors just in time to hear Gary Slime annouce that I was on my way to hospital and couldn't be there! Just another example of what bullshit was afoot, I wish I would have made more of it at the time. Anyway, if anyone knows where that footage is I'd be eternally greatful"

Anyone got any ideas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zClWzDVPbwI

About 3 minutes into this video is Kimbo talking about the JT fight. I'm going to going to watch too much of it, but there's the post fight. Same uploader has another part to it, but apparently not 1 of 3. Filmed from the crowd and audio/video is pretty poor. Hope that is a help.

e: found a better version. Reporter said JT was in there earlier and asked a question to Kimbo regarding what JT said. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5urss_kimbo-slice-post-fight-interview_sport So apparently JT may have...forgotten that he was in front of the press??? Question at 7 minutes of the Dailymotion video. Good luck on your quest, Willie.

Eat This Glob fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 21, 2016

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Eat This Glob posted:

[video type="youtube"]

About 3 minutes into this video is Kimbo talking about the JT fight. I'm going to going to watch too much of it, but there's the post fight. Same uploader has another part to it, but apparently not 1 of 3. Filmed from the crowd and audio/video is pretty poor. Hope that is a help.

e: found a better version. Reporter said JT was in there earlier and asked a question to Kimbo regarding what JT said. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5urss_kimbo-slice-post-fight-interview_sport So apparently JT may have...forgotten that he was in front of the press??? Question at 7 minutes of the Dailymotion video. Good luck on your quest, Willie.

Apparently the story goes that the promoter was trying to make out that JT was seriously hurt and in hospital to justify the stoppage, and yet JT was fine because it was a bullshit stoppage so he comes out from back stage as the promoter is lying about JT being rushed to hospital and JT is confused as gently caress and talking to the press about how BS it was. It is not surprising how hard it is to find because it demonstrates how fixed the fight was against JT.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
If UFC doesn't give in to Conor, and continues to listen to it's Corporate Overlord Reebok, then it will be anarchy and the death of MMA.

http://tmi.kotaku.com/the-ufc-is-totally-blowing-it-with-conor-mcgregor-1772375370

quote:

This has led to some moves in the past almost as baffling as the current McGregor situation. Remember when Dana White publicly threw Jon Jones under the bus for UFC 151's cancellation, even though it was the UFC’s decision and Jones had every right to turn down a last-second opponent switcheroo? At the time, Jones was the UFC’s star on the rise, their next great hope. But he put himself before The Brand, and that simply would not do. So the UFC put its foot down on Jones’ head and shot through its own foot to hit him. It was petty. It was short-sighted. In the long run, it didn’t help anybody, least of all the UFC.

Oh yes the noble Jon Jones turning down Chael Sonnen on short notice when he literally won the title for being a short notice replacement for Rashad Evans.

quote:

Meanwhile, for some time McGregor’s expressed interest in running his own fight promotion and co-promoting in partnership with the UFC. The first time McGregor said this, I imagine an alarm that sounded like a thousand banshees wailing in unison went off at UFC HQ, and a flock of ravens thick and black as coagulated blood devoured Dana White, forcing the UFC to release his sixth clone.

M-1cGregor

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Lid posted:

If UFC doesn't give in to Conor, and continues to listen to it's Corporate Overlord Reebok, then it will be anarchy and the death of MMA.

http://tmi.kotaku.com/the-ufc-is-totally-blowing-it-with-conor-mcgregor-1772375370

Somehow, the comments on this article are better than the ones at mma websites

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Somehow, the comments on this article are better than the ones at mma websites

I was surprised too, all of them are calling out the article as bullshit.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Lid posted:

I was surprised too, all of them are calling out the article as bullshit.

I was thinking about this awhile ago, where dumb sherdog posters or mma commenters are always the ones that become bloggers because they are the most engaged and it creates this vicious Sherdog cycle

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

MMA journalists acting like Conor McGregor is now the MMA Bernie Sanders is hilarious.

Has anyone seen even one article where they call it out as the power play it is without acting like Conor is trying to stand up for the same fighters he's always calling bums and pussies?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

To win a labor war with UFC, Conor McGregor must utilize Fox the way Donald Trump has

Zach Arnold actually starts off relatively coherent and then right off into the deep end

Zach Arnold has always annoyed the poo poo out of me but at this point continuing to mock him feels like bullying as he is obviously mentally ill

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Conor and Donald Trump are both rich loud mouths that discourage immigration so it checks out to me.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

fatherdog posted:

Zach Arnold has always annoyed the poo poo out of me but at this point continuing to mock him feels like bullying as he is obviously mentally ill

He did a review of a book Josh Gross wrote about Ali/Inoki and revealed that his background is apparently in legal and investigative writing and whether that's actually real or from reading too many Ian Rankin novels it explains everything

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
http://nypost.com/2016/04/23/ufc-owners-will-soon-collect-huge-payday-on-vegas-empire/

quote:

Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta, who also own the Ultimate Fighting Championship cage-fighting franchise, are expected to hit a $1 billion-plus jackpot on their Las Vegas casino empire just a few years after causing it to go bankrupt.

When Red Rock Resorts sells shares to the public next week, the brothers will pocket most of the $500 million in initial public offering proceeds — and get the corporate jet — while keeping control of the company their father founded four decades ago, according to regulatory filings.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

fatherdog posted:

lol seriously

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

fatherdog posted:

I look forward to your random Zach Arnold posts just eviscerating his "work"

mewse
May 2, 2006

His Bluff Called, Conor Mcgregor Is Off Ufc 200 And Maybe Even Out Of New York

quote:

Not a month-and-a-half ago, Conor McGregor was the greatest thing that had ever happened to the UFC, the mega-talent with the silver tongue and the crossover appeal and the marketing acumen and (most importantly) the loyalty that the promotion had always dreamed of. Every card he headlined broke gate records; every fight he fought cleared new bars for inventiveness and improbability; every press conference he took over printed money.

Now, though, Conor McGregor and his rabbis at the UFC, President Dana White and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta, have drifted a thousand miles away from each other. One small but earth-shattering tweet from McGregor followed by an accusatory response from White, and the MMA world is in the midst of a Cold War.

Those drat je-illuminati running the UFC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

All of a sudden it seemed like Conor McGregor—materialist of materialist, narcissist of narcissists—was becoming something bigger than himself, a spokesman, possibly even taking that rarefied step from ultra-talented loudmouth to historical figure, the path laid down by Muhammad Ali 50 years ago. Just as Ali converted his self-obsession into a tool of racial consciousness and political awakening it seemed like maybe McGregor was about to leverage his individual power as the king of MMA into a collective struggle for more fighter autonomy. His seemingly selfish reasons for skipping out on his contractual obligations (“I must isolate myself now … I’m doing what I need for me now”) had the potential to resonate with and morph into some bigger cause, some shared concern with his fellow fighters. Suddenly you could almost picture Conor McGregor as Folk Hero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypDwGhRonOE

Conor out there working hard for the common fighter.

• Locked thread