Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I wonder if Luke Thomas and all the other clowns who called Conor's actions recently 'brilliant' in these breathless tones and hailed him as the common man's hero will maybe look at how things turned out and feel stupid or even a hint of shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

I wonder if Luke Thomas and all the other clowns who called Conor's actions recently 'brilliant' in these breathless tones and hailed him as the common man's hero will maybe look at how things turned out and feel stupid or even a hint of shame.

Well I mean. Conor could end up making more money long term out of this. I don't think he will, but it's been like three days so it's a little early to be playing the hindsight game

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

david carmichael posted:

Well I mean. Conor could end up making more money long term out of this. I don't think he will, but it's been like three days so it's a little early to be playing the hindsight game

I think McGregor'll do fine out of all this, so long as he doesn't do something even stupider, but it doesn't make the analysis of his actions anymore hilariously wrong. There was a headline about McGregor having the UFC's dick in a vice.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Hey conor, a million ain't poo poo when a billion next to it

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

He'll come back and fight again and make more mountains of cash. It's just hilarious that Luke Thomas and Ariel Helwani want to paint Conor as a trail blazer for fighter's rights, when you better believe that if Conor were really up there on ownership terms with the Fertitta bros and Dana, that he'd be treating the common fighters just as poorly as they do in the interest of driving up profits.

https://twitter.com/SBNLukeThomas/status/724956640571695106

They simultaneously praise McGregor's courage for standing up to UFC ownership by refusing to do press for the biggest card in UFC history, and then tell people that "life isn't fair" and that Conor deserves special treatment when fans point out that the common fighters they think McGregor's actions will benefit all have to also show up and interrupt their training camps. Some fighters like Aldo and Joanna coming from Brazil and Poland, all while being paid far, far less than McGregor. As if Conor did not get truck loads of special treatment over the last three years as the UFC put their promotional machine to work to help build him into the star he is today, and make him filthy rich in the process.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Tate, Edgar, Aldo and co. are doing more commercial shoots to cover for Conor not being there too, interrupting their training, which is a nice little extra hit of how selfish McGregor is.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

threeagainstfour posted:

He'll come back and fight again and make more mountains of cash. It's just hilarious that Luke Thomas and Ariel Helwani want to paint Conor as a trail blazer for fighter's rights, when you better believe that if Conor were really up there on ownership terms with the Fertitta bros and Dana, that he'd be treating the common fighters just as poorly as they do in the interest of driving up profits.

https://twitter.com/SBNLukeThomas/status/724956640571695106

They simultaneously praise McGregor's courage for standing up to UFC ownership by refusing to do press for the biggest card in UFC history, and then tell people that "life isn't fair" and that Conor deserves special treatment when fans point out that the common fighters they think McGregor's actions will benefit all have to also show up and interrupt their training camps. Some fighters like Aldo and Joanna coming from Brazil and Poland, all while being paid far, far less than McGregor. As if Conor did not get truck loads of special treatment over the last three years as the UFC put their promotional machine to work to help build him into the star he is today, and make him filthy rich in the process.

Maybe now they won't hide him from Edgar anymore :allears: (probably not though)

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

Hey conor, a million ain't poo poo when a billion next to it

i doubt he reads this thread

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

I.N.R.I posted:

i doubt he reads this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=933hKyKNPFQ

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

threeagainstfour posted:

Well yeah no poo poo so would pretty much every other MMA fighter/boxer ever. Sometimes good things happen despite the person behind them not being a great person

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

Well yeah no poo poo so would pretty much every other MMA fighter/boxer ever. Sometimes good things happen despite the person behind them not being a great person

What "good things" are going to happen for fighters based on Conor's actions this week?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

At last, Drew Dober finally has the freedom to not show up to any press events and continue to lose fights in obscurity and make $200 after taxes and training expenses. Thank you Conor McGregor

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

fatherdog posted:

What "good things" are going to happen for fighters based on Conor's actions this week?

Luke Thomas says over and over that a rising tide raises all boats in a pompous way so it's probably that

mewse
May 2, 2006

-Atom- posted:

Luke Thomas says over and over that a rising tide raises all boats in a pompous way so it's probably that

Like how your posts raise the level of discourse in these threads

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
A rising tide drowns all flyweights

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

fatherdog posted:

Did Nate Diaz really need that at least 500k (but probably a fair amount more being UFC200) that he would have gotten from the fight?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

mewse posted:

Like how your posts raise the level of discourse in these threads

you're right Aesop Poprock made a real good point.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
If you're going to dogpile on Atom could you at least save it for when he posts things that are dumb or wrong; it's not like you'll have to wait very long

mewse
May 2, 2006

I was trying to make a fyad style "much like your posting" joke but because it was atom it wasn't funny

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

My point wasn't to criticize Conor for making as much money as he can and not actively campaigning fighter's rights or whatever, it was to point out that he isn't the Gandhi of MMA that some goober MMA journalists are making him out to be.

Also nothing good is going to come of this, unless you count not having McGregor Diaz 2 headlining UFC 200.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The UFC is probably going to make more money in the long-run, that's pretty good for the UFC.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

The UFC is probably going to make more money in the long-run, that's pretty good for the UFC.

I should clarify, no good things for the average fighter will come out of McGregor's power play.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

mewse posted:

I was trying to make a fyad style "much like your posting" joke but because it was atom it wasn't funny

Much like

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

fatherdog posted:

A rising tide drowns all flyweights

[Goldberg-bowing-at-bruce-lees-grave]

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Perhaps my most important work (other than ranking dogs owned by fighters)

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

LobsterMobster posted:

One day there will be a UFC Embedded where a fighter's dog sics balls on another fighter, and it will be the article you were born to write.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

fatherdog posted:

One day there will be a UFC Embedded where a fighter's dog sics balls on another fighter, and it will be the article you were born to write.

Yesssss

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

LobsterMobster posted:

i actually laughed out loud at 'mutually assured destruction', but i'm honestly surprised that bruce leeroy fight where he got deducted like 2 points for ball attacks and lost didn't make the cut

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

i actually laughed out loud at 'mutually assured destruction', but i'm honestly surprised that bruce leeroy fight where he got deducted like 2 points for ball attacks and lost didn't make the cut

There was a few instances on the cutting room floor :-/

red19fire
May 26, 2010

fatherdog posted:

There was that one TUF guy who, after getting cut, was attacked by dogs who bit a hole through his :dong:

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
I know we're widening the field a bit here but special shout out to Waylon Lowe burning his dick off with off brand penis enlargement cream

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Who was the fighter whose girlfriend broke his dick getting too enthusiastic in froggie?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
mewse is probably satisfied by the way these posts are going because otherwise he'd let you know about it.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
I guess this should go here.

quote:

On a frosty Christmas Day in the small town of Rostov, Russia, a little-publicized hearing took place in a North Caucasian District Military Court. Sergei Zirinov, a Krasnodar parliamentarian and member of the Legislative Assembly, was on trial for the attempted murder of the deputy leader of the Anapa City Cossack Society, Nikolai Nesterenko. Zirinov was joined by five other defendants, each charged with either murder and attempted murder in aggravated circumstances, banditry and illicit arms trafficking, depending on the role they played. One of those defendants was 40-year-old Amar Suloev, a former UFC and Pride FC fighter.

It was a stunning revelation: Suloev, the Armenian-Russian with Yazidi origins dating back to Mesopotamia - the man who had faced Chuck Liddell at UFC 35 - was an alleged contract killer.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

e: woops wrong thread.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 30, 2016

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

that's really hosed up. the chemical burns make it sound like he's being poisoned but "chemical burns" may be a mistranslation and it's just related to the appearance of the ulceration.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
The amateur hitmen in the comments provide some comic relief to the story, at least

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

She's pumping it! Mixed Martial Arts fighter Ronda Rousey puts in a gruelling training session on the beach

quote:

The Mixed Martial Arts star hasn't been in the ring since losing her Ultimate Fight Club Bantamweight title to Holly Holm last November.

But it looks like Ronda Rousey may be planning a return to the Octagon as she was seen putting herself through a punishing training session on the beach in Venice, California, on Sunday.

The 29-year-old, who was with her team, reportedly ran 2.5 miles to Santa Monica Pier and back again.

She also did her fighting drills in the Pacific, adding the ocean's resistance.

The muscular blonde wore a dark blue vest with Reebok written on the front in large letters and blue cropped leggings with white geometric designs.

Looking fierce, she carried pink weights as she ran along the water's edge barefoot.

Best of luck to Ronda on reclaiming her Ultimate Fight Club title.

Also there is some fantastic video attached to that story

https://twitter.com/NakedGambling/status/727166074672795649

https://twitter.com/NakedGambling/status/727167013332877312

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Ah yes, the punishing 2.5 mile run from Main St. to the Santa Monica Pier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I mean, a less-than-a-5k jog in the sand is extremely punishing to me, a great big fat guy, so I guess given the proper context that's not an absurd statement.

• Locked thread