Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Thug Lessons posted:

I thought this as well, but the update notes have an item that reads "Fixed carl morale loss when you pay tribute to Cragspider" and figured this meant it was possible to succeed in the troll alliance event that occurs if you have the Argan Argar clan in your tribe. I ran a savescum game to test this and did just about everything nice I could to the trolls, giving them the iron spike, running multiple Issaries HQs to improve relations and even adopting the trollkin into my tribe, but it still ended up failing in the end. I guess that note refers to something else, like the option to ransom your party or some event that fires if you piss off the trolls enough. Too bad.

Huh, interesting. I have no idea what that's about, as far as I know the only useful thing you can do with Cragspider is feed her your useless nobles. And I didn't even know about the troll alliance event. God drat this game is so deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Ragg posted:

Huh, interesting. I have no idea what that's about, as far as I know the only useful thing you can do with Cragspider is feed her your useless nobles. And I didn't even know about the troll alliance event. God drat this game is so deep.

Yeah, one of the clans worships a troll god and requires you to agree to make peace with the trolls before they join your tribe and later comes to you asking to send an expedition. It seems to fail uniformly, so I'm left to assume this is either an unfinished event chain or just flavor to force the player to choose between a doomed expedition and an unhappy tribe member, or both.

Then again, it might be the game is just so deep that you can actually succeed in the alliance attempt and I'm not doing it right. I know there's a way to get the ducks to agree to join your tribe, I've done it before, but in every subsequent game they laugh me out of the room, and I still can't figure out what determines this. (It didn't work the time they agreed anyway though, as the rest of the clans laughed me out the moot instead. I also got an event once where they ducks demanded to join my tribe after it was formed, but I managed to gently caress it up by pushing the wrong button because I'm, to use the Marxist term, "an stupid"). Don't ask me why I want to make alliances with trolls and get the ducks in my tribe, but I'm glad there's a game out there that makes this at least seem like an attainable outcome.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

I sent 70 thanes to try and kill Cragspider and she killed em with a glance. It's kind of annoying to not be able to explore that region of the map.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
It could be that the troll alliance is possible and you're doing it right, but there are just really bad odds it'll work. The fact that the same thing doesn't happen every time you make the same decisions is why I don't think the game is going to get boring.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Thug Lessons posted:

Yeah, one of the clans worships a troll god and requires you to agree to make peace with the trolls before they join your tribe and later comes to you asking to send an expedition. It seems to fail uniformly, so I'm left to assume this is either an unfinished event chain or just flavor to force the player to choose between a doomed expedition and an unhappy tribe member, or both.

Then again, it might be the game is just so deep that you can actually succeed in the alliance attempt and I'm not doing it right. I know there's a way to get the ducks to agree to join your tribe, I've done it before, but in every subsequent game they laugh me out of the room, and I still can't figure out what determines this. (It didn't work the time they agreed anyway though, as the rest of the clans laughed me out the moot instead. I also got an event once where they ducks demanded to join my tribe after it was formed, but I managed to gently caress it up by pushing the wrong button because I'm, to use the Marxist term, "an stupid"). Don't ask me why I want to make alliances with trolls and get the ducks in my tribe, but I'm glad there's a game out there that makes this at least seem like an attainable outcome.

AFAIK you can't get the ducks to join your tribe, you can only get them to be honorary members. You can get the ducks to agree to join, and convince the rest of the tribe it's a good idea, but then some busybody will pipe up with an obscure law that says that all tribe members have to be Orlanthi. And the ducks are cool as hell and you'd have to be crazy not to want them in your tribe!

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

An Orlanthi who is afraid of Dragonnewts? What sort of monstrosity is this?! (I'd be more afraid of the bees, personally)

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I really do and don't like how the game jerks you around with these sorts of things. Like having to choose the least damaging of several doomed options is interesting, but I hate how it leads you on like "oh you totally can get these rad as hell duckpeople into your tribe" or "maybe you just need to try again" when every option leads to failure.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
It's a subtle way of loving with you that is really underutilized nowadays.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
The only events that are kinda bad are the ones where you just get straight up hosed in the rear end, if you mess with a monster faction too much. You'll get a bunch of warnings before that happens though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

everyone posted:

content

Holy poo poo I had no idea that all these different events could happen. I'm seriously in love with this game.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Sidpret posted:

I sent 70 thanes to try and kill Cragspider and she killed em with a glance. It's kind of annoying to not be able to explore that region of the map.

Cragspider is quite literally a god and is invincible. I mean, I suppose it is possible that there's some ludicrously small percentage chance of success that no-one has ever seen but... yeah

Seriously stop bothering Cragspider

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I looked through the manual and I still can't figure out how to enable Hero Quests. No matter what I do, the "Quest" button is always grayed out. None of the advice seems to change things; I've built a bunch of shrines and unlocked a bunch of mysteries, and my advisors pop up and bug me to do Hero Quests, but I can't get that option to turn black. Am I missing some check-in-the-box to enable it?

Also, if the omens say I should do a "pilgrimage", is that a Hero Quest option, or do I just send explorers to that point on the map?

Last technical question: am I supposed to expand my farming ability by raiding neighbors for land? Will that allow me to support more farmers and thus more people?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Sidpret posted:

I wish it was possible to wipe another clan off the face of the earth. Maybe it is and I just haven't been persistent enough.

I just noticed this. You can kick another clan off their Tula by taking their land during raids, but you can only seize land from tribes with Tulas that actually border yours. It might be possible to keep expanding and knocking out other clans, but I've never tried.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
The Pilgrimage is usually to Kero Fin, which means you need to send explorers there (it's the large mountain in the southwest area). It's also Orlanth's mother.

There are several ways to enhance your farming ability. Usually through blessings at shrines.
Many treasures will help, like Blacktail the bull.
Expanding your tula's size will grant you more land to farm on, but you can also cut back forests on your tula. Of course, this may anger anything that dwells there.

Edit:

Sidpret posted:

I wish it was possible to wipe another clan off the face of the earth.

It's possible, but it usually requires a lot of raiding. If you take all their cows, they'll be so poor, starving, and wretched, that the clan will disband.
There's also a particular encounter with sorcerous foreigners, that if you befriend them, you can ask them to attack one of your foes.

Tindalos fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 11, 2011

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I wish my advisors would stop talking about how great it would be to have a trickster on the ring when we haven't seen a Eurmal worshipper for decades, thats just rubbing it in!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Do the expendable battle treasures last a certain number of battles or is there a percentage chance they break after each use?

Syllogism
Jun 7, 2001

We have listened. We are unmoved. The cleansing will proceed.
Has anyone managed to get the pc version working on win7? Haven't played in a few years and running from cd doesn't work nor does setup or manual install. Google indicates it mysteriously works for some even on 64-bit win7 but no such luck here.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Last technical question: am I supposed to expand my farming ability by raiding neighbors for land? Will that allow me to support more farmers and thus more people?

That's one way to do it, but the goal of this game is not to grow your clan's population. If it gets too big, there will be negative consequences regardless of how much wealth and land you have.

Glimpse posted:

I wish my advisors would stop talking about how great it would be to have a trickster on the ring when we haven't seen a Eurmal worshipper for decades, thats just rubbing it in!

You can try sending your useless nobles on suicide missions in order to generate new ones.

Syllogism posted:

Has anyone managed to get the pc version working on win7? Haven't played in a few years and running from cd doesn't work nor does setup or manual install. Google indicates it mysteriously works for some even on 64-bit win7 but no such luck here.

You could try running it in XP mode. That should let you run it in a window as well.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
From what was said back in the LP thread, the Cragspider is unkillable and, if you piss her off, will leave her lair and attack you directly which just flat-out makes you lose the game instantly.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Syllogism posted:

Copy the cd to your hard drive and just run the game from there, that's what I did.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I started a new game like a week ago and despite doing all the requirements the end game simply wouldn't trigger. My tribal king was over seventy years old and I kept save scumming every season to make sure he didn't die but no, never got the last story events. I ended up just quitting out of frustration.

He was pretty boss for a seventy year old too, after doing a bunch of hero quests he was heroic in a whole bunch of stats.

Syllogism
Jun 7, 2001

We have listened. We are unmoved. The cleansing will proceed.

Coolio posted:

Copy the cd to your hard drive and just run the game from there, that's what I did.
Yes, doesn't work unfortunately. Compatibility modes don't either

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Since it's not 3D I suppose installing Win98 on a virtual machine could be an option? Kind of time-consuming but at least you can burn that thing on a DVD and never have to gently caress around with compatibility hacks again.

Also, I attended a lecture by one of the devs of the iPhone version and according to him the original KoDP had it's own programming language or something crazy like that (I was tired and wasn't paying enough attention to be sure) so it was quite challenging to port and the guy behind it is an awesome hippie dude. :)

uncleTomOfFinland fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 11, 2011

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Paradoxish posted:

I just noticed this. You can kick another clan off their Tula by taking their land during raids, but you can only seize land from tribes with Tulas that actually border yours. It might be possible to keep expanding and knocking out other clans, but I've never tried.
Eventually you start getting events about how your Tula is too goddamn big and how all your thanes are tired of busting their rear end patrolling such a huge area. IIRC, at that point you can either split off some smaller clans from yours or you start taking gigantic hits to your ability to defend against raids.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Coolio posted:

I started a new game like a week ago and despite doing all the requirements the end game simply wouldn't trigger. My tribal king was over seventy years old and I kept save scumming every season to make sure he didn't die but no, never got the last story events. I ended up just quitting out of frustration.

He was pretty boss for a seventy year old too, after doing a bunch of hero quests he was heroic in a whole bunch of stats.

It was discovered during the old LP that there is a bug that makes it so when you reload a save it stops there from being any random events for that month, so your save scumming probably was the reason the end game events never triggered.

Anyone able to test out if the bug still exists in Iphone version?

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

I have a prosperous 40 year old clan, am king of my tribe, and have enough food and cattle to go around, but I've found a novel new way of failing: so many of my heroes have died that I literally do not have any good leadership anymore. The best combat rating available for my ring is 'good'. And the game refuses to give me anyone new who does not suck. I try to pump them up through heroquests, but that is largely where they die.

For the guy who can't do heroquests, that sounds bugged. You should be able to do them pretty much right away. I don't know what would prevent you.

What is it exactly that triggers building of an empire? I got the event where two tribes are feuding, and my divination told me that by making peace I would unite the tribes and become emperor or something like that, so I made peace and nothing really happened. They rejected my suggestion to build a great city together - is that what you have to do?

Sidpret fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 11, 2011

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Syllogism posted:

Yes, doesn't work unfortunately. Compatibility modes don't either

By XP mode i mean the Virtual PC XP mode you can get here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

tombom
Mar 8, 2006

Sidpret posted:

What is it exactly that triggers building of an empire? I got the event where two tribes are feuding, and my divination told me that by making peace I would unite the tribes and become emperor or something like that, so I made peace and nothing really happened. They rejected my suggestion to build a great city together - is that what you have to do?
Yes, you need to build a town to carry on down the endgame.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

Since it's not 3D I suppose installing Win98 on a virtual machine could be an option? Kind of time-consuming but at least you can burn that thing on a DVD and never have to gently caress around with compatibility hacks again.

Also, I attended a lecture by one of the devs of the iPhone version and according to him the original KoDP had it's own programming language or something crazy like that (I was tired and wasn't paying enough attention to be sure) so it was quite challenging to port and the guy behind it is an awesome hippie dude. :)

It was written in A Sharp's own scripting language, Opal.

Sidpret posted:

Yeah, that's right, basically the endgame is a series of linear events, and if you fail any of them you can't proceed. it's basically taken from what the "actual" King of Dragon Pass did in Gloranthan lore, who was some sorcerer who came from afar. I don't really like the KoDP endgame, I think its by far the weakest part and I much prefer the clan simulation aspect which is the meat and potatoes of the game, despite only being what you do to qualify for the endgame events.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

How many more steps are there in the endgame after that?

I can see how the endgame is not all that entertaining in some ways though. I'm about ready to start a new tribe and go for a different path. I just got what seems like a rare event - all my children grew beards. I didn't think to screencap it.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh

UserMan posted:

It was discovered during the old LP that there is a bug that makes it so when you reload a save it stops there from being any random events for that month, so your save scumming probably was the reason the end game events never triggered.

Anyone able to test out if the bug still exists in Iphone version?

Guys only die of old age in the first part of sea after sacred time so unless that's when the events were supposed to kick off I doubt that was it

Coolio fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 11, 2011

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Man, I loved this game. Failing at winning it, that is. I kept doing horribly at almost everything, and I never did get the ducks to visit all that often. I did get some sweet dinosaur mounts , though they eventually all died off :(

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
I think my favourite event in the game is when the ghosts of your clan's ancestors come back to complain about something (Recent event, Clan leader, etc). If you conduct a divination, you can sometimes find out they don't really give a poo poo about whatever the issue is and are coming back from the grave just to gently caress around with you.

That, or ghost lawsuits.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
It is pretty amazing how few/nonexistant bugs are in this game. I know they have the advantage of not starting from scratch, but compared to the average iOS game (or poo poo, just the average video game) I haven't encountered a single bug or crash in many hours of play.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I lack both an iphone and the patience to sink myself into this game, but drat if it doesn't have some amazing art.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Phy posted:

I lack both an iphone and the patience to sink myself into this game, but drat if it doesn't have some amazing art.

Yeah. They held an auction for a lot of the original pieces that they scanned in, but everything good was taken by the time I saw it unfortunately.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I was wondering how you gauge how much is appropriate to sacrifice or gift when you have those options? I just have no idea if it's based on the percentage of your total in a given area or if there are flat amounts that are usually good to use? Last game I went bankrupt through giving away too many cows as gifts and sacrifices and I was wondering if I could just get by offering 10-20 cows for anything.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
One of my advisers said 7 is the minimum but double or triple is better. 10 cows hasn't failed me yet.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Also reading about cragspider that it is an unkillable death machine makes me feel like maybe starting again with a different ancestral enemy. Does anyone have any recommendations for which has the best random events or is most satisfying to feud with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Apocron posted:

Also reading about cragspider that it is an unkillable death machine makes me feel like maybe starting again with a different ancestral enemy. Does anyone have any recommendations for which has the best random events or is most satisfying to feud with?

All of the ancestral enemies have unkillable death machines.

• Locked thread