Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
In what universe is Glorantha low fantasy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

Is that a reference to it being bronze age rather than middle ages?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I've seen low fantasy variably mean either "very light on fantasy elements" to "dark and gritty with lots of poo poo and piss and violence". Neither of which apply to Glorantha.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Low Fantasy IME means Robert E. Howard or Fritz Lieber swords and sorcery poo poo.

Which, I guess fits into Glorantha, but does not particularly define Glorantha, for me.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Glorantha is not low fantasy, but KODP is, mostly because the magic is downplayed. The only real magic you see is "we were lucky in battle" and "the whole clan got together for a ceremonial play." The descriptions gloss over the fact that your god-talkers are flying around and throwing loving lightning bolts or glowing like the sun and conjuring fire spears or cutting so fast that everyone within 10 feet is killed.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
They use magic for everything. Even plowing the fields. Though yeah, it's not shown or described much.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

The Sharmat posted:

What mentions low fantasy?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

After the age of illiteracy.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Any lorematers want to guess on the setting by the art? First picture seems to be an Odayling Orlanthi. Trolls could be in a variety of areas. No idea who the "scribe" lady is.

GlyphGryph posted:

What mentions low fantasy?

That linked article, in a part he didn't quote.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Jan, are you doing art for 6 Ages?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It could be Kralorela, although the name "Six Ages" really suggests the six Lunar Wanes.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Ew. I hope it's not Kralorela. What's that Orlanthi looking dude doing there, if it is?

Also I thought there had been 7 wanes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My off-the-wall hope is that it's in Pameltela so we can see one of the Kresh wagons go by. Or we could be the Kresh ourselves, that would be acceptable.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I want a game with Lunars resettling Oraya or the Redlands.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Dorastor.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Tulip posted:

Dorastor.

Broo apocalypse literally every year.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

NewMars posted:

Broo apocalypse literally every year.

Pre-Arkat Dorastor.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Jenx posted:

Pre-Arkat Dorastor.

Broo traders literally every season.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Oh poo poo, I just realized I would loving LOVE the upcoming game to be set in Tarsh, perfect little combo of Orlanthi-ness and Lunar-ness and gives you some solid choices politic wise as well as some built in KODP references.

Edit- I would also go for a "YOU ARE LOKAMAYADON GREATEST OF THE ORLANTHI, CHOOSE YOUR FATE" kinda thing, where you play the Orlanthi influence on history to come.

TGG fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 13, 2015

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

TGG posted:

Oh poo poo, I just realized I would loving LOVE the upcoming game to be set in Tarsh, perfect little combo of Orlanthi-ness and Lunar-ness and gives you some solid choices politic wise as well as some built in KODP references.

Personally I'm hoping for a safelster/ralios game. Will you discover the true arkat who has always been? Or follow the chariot of lightning and learn that everything is always orlanth?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
From a design perspective, it'd make a lot of sense if they put you in another area where your clan/group/whatever is building up from nothing. That's why I think a lunar game is a little unlikely, though obviously it doesn't preclude a lunar game, and that might find a way to make playing an established clan fun anyways.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

cheetah7071 posted:

From a design perspective, it'd make a lot of sense if they put you in another area where your clan/group/whatever is building up from nothing. That's why I think a lunar game is a little unlikely, though obviously it doesn't preclude a lunar game, and that might find a way to make playing an established clan fun anyways.

That's why I said Oraya or the Red Lands. That's new ground being colonized.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Picked this game up a week or two ago due to the ongoing LP. Question, does the Steam version have an editable save file? I want to change my clan's name and I can't find an obvious file to hack.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

loquacius posted:

Picked this game up a week or two ago due to the ongoing LP. Question, does the Steam version have an editable save file? I want to change my clan's name and I can't find an obvious file to hack.

Steam\userdata\95510\352220\local\Save

They don't look very editable.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Steam\userdata\95510\352220\local\Save

They don't look very editable.

That'd do it, I was looking under steamapps\common because that's where modding files go. Thanks :tipshat:

As it turns out, if you do a search/replace on the name of your clan in the snapshot file you can in fact change it, but the game will crash on launch unless the new name has the same number of characters as the old name does. System files, man.

e: you can also change the dialog portraits of all your nobles by Ctrl+Fing around that file, FYI

loquacius fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 22, 2015

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there's a King of Dragon Pass/Glorantha mod for Crusader Kings II? I'm tempted to try to build one, and I haven't seen anyone else try.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm not sure it makes sense for the setting, magic aside. I mean most of the world isn't feudal. I guess Seshnela could work.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

There are already different functions for pagan factions in CK2. I think it would be doable, especially since CK is already so event-driven.. But I guess it would still shift the focus to moving troops around and controlling different regions, otherwise the whole world map would be kind of pointless. Not sure if exploration could be implemented either, but it seems the engine is very mod friendly.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Someone tried that in the CK2 thread about 8 months back, actually. There were a few update posts that looked promising and then the guy disappeared, as they do. So my impression is that it is quite possible, but more work than the average sane person would be willing to put into it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So what, Seshnela, Arolanit, Tanisor, Tarsh, and a few other places use the feudal system. Loskalm and the Lunar Empire run with Byzantine rules more or less, almost everything else in Genertela is tribal?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
When your nobles die/disappear from your advice panel at the bottom of the screen, how do you get new ones?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Unzip and Attack posted:

When your nobles die/disappear from your advice panel at the bottom of the screen, how do you get new ones?

Go to the Clan tab and click Reorganize.

Protip: consider doing this on day one, season one, year one anyway, because there may be better choices than the default.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In the stream version I think reorganizing doesn't even take a turn like it does in the original version.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Go to the Clan tab and click Reorganize.

Protip: consider doing this on day one, season one, year one anyway, because there may be better choices than the default.

A few more protips: try to have a 4-3 or 3-4 split of men and women, have each ring member worship a different god, and have your leader worship your clan's favorite god and have the best leadership of the candidates. The second one is probably the most important, as your ability to allocate magic is limited by which gods are represented on the ring. The first or third can also cause issues, but the first's issues will go away on their own after enough time has passed, and the third's issues can be... dealt with.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
You can get away with 2-5 gender splits without much bad effect(which you may be forced to do since Steam noble pools are so small). My personal priority list would be god variety>best skills>gender balance. Picking the leader can be tricky if your best candidate doesn't worship your main god, but I'd generally prioritize a less skilled worshipper of the right god if their skill level is reasonably close.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The gender split is really not important at all since it only affects clan fertility. Even if that becomes a problem, it can be fixed trivially by recruiting from surrounding clans, who will bring substantially more children than adults.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
How do you gain access to new quest types? Related to that, can you do quests more than once? Seems a bit strange since once you've figured out the "right" answers to a quest, can you just do it over and over?

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Ask me about Verethragna!

Unzip and Attack posted:

How do you gain access to new quest types? Related to that, can you do quests more than once? Seems a bit strange since once you've figured out the "right" answers to a quest, can you just do it over and over?

You ask other clans, or sometimes gods give new mythology info for sacrifices. (iirc) The circumstances and the quester aren't always the same, so quests don't always work the same way. But yes, you can do them over and over.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The primary way of getting more myths is to sacrifice to the appropriate god. If they hear you, they'll grant you a boon and that can be either a blessing of theirs or some information about their quest. Occasionally you'll get myths through events as well.

You can redo heroquests as much as you like, but remember that until you are quite powerful, doing a quest more often than once every two years will be very dangerous. In the late game, it ends up not mattering because you've stacked so many bonuses, but until then it's a great way to gently caress yourself up.

The 'right' answers are important to know, and can help you get early hero quests finished in new games, but it's important to realize that a lot of the 'right' answers aren't guaranteed to succeed. Stuff like your clan not knowing myth details, weak magical support back home, and a weak quester will still cause 'correct' answers to fail, sometimes with catastrophic results. Essentially you should think of the godrealm like a wide river. If you know the stretch of river, where its rapids and currents are, it's a lot safer to dip in and go for a pearl in the middle of the river. But if you're not ready for it, you'll still lose control and bash your head on a rock.

e: Conversely, if you're really ready for it and quite strong, then the river can rage all it wants and it's still not going to stop you from doing what you're there to do.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Also, if your quester has an unusual stat spread for the quest they're in or you're looking for certain specific treasures it can sometimes make sense to deliberately try and solve quests in nonstandard ways. Most quests give you options that go off-script a little but still allow completion of the quest, although some of those options are a better idea than others.

• Locked thread