Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Sharmat posted:

So what, Seshnela, Arolanit, Tanisor, Tarsh, and a few other places use the feudal system. Loskalm and the Lunar Empire run with Byzantine rules more or less, almost everything else in Genertela is tribal?

Ralios, especially in the very fertile Safelster region around lake Felster, is all city states, all intrigue all the time. Tough Orlanthi hillmen sell their services as mercenaries to the city dwelling westerners for use in their byzantine internal schemes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Kralorea is urban feudalism, basically. Completely boring though. Praxians and Pentians are Nomads and the city-states of wenalia are similar to loskalm, though their position makes them workable as straight up merchant republics. (The genertelan equivalent of the silk road runs from seshnela to esrolia through wenalia and up through sartar and the grazelands to the heart of the lunar empire.) Mostali are not feudal, they are unplayable theocracies just straight up. Probably.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Thuryl posted:

Also, if your quester has an unusual stat spread for the quest they're in or you're looking for certain specific treasures it can sometimes make sense to deliberately try and solve quests in nonstandard ways. Most quests give you options that go off-script a little but still allow completion of the quest, although some of those options are a better idea than others.
Being able to straight-up murder Daga was always fun, along with the resultant god-talker confusion.

e: I think that quest also has a different "right" path depending on whether your quester is male or female, too.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ravenfood posted:

Being able to straight-up murder Daga was always fun, along with the resultant god-talker confusion.

e: I think that quest also has a different "right" path depending on whether your quester is male or female, too.

You're supposed to Seduce the Dark Woman if you're male, and Fight her if you're female, yes.

That particular choice isn't a terribly onerous one either way, though.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Not sure what you'd do with Ralios. Nochet works as a merchant republic probably, though most of Esrolia would be something more traditional (albeit with that one kind of succession law that nothing has in CK2).

I'd just abstract Kralorela. It never interacts with much anyway. Have Pent, the Wastelands, and Teshnos be the eastern border of the map.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So in the LP I was able to double the number of weaponthanes in a few turns.

- All 24 of my weaponthanes got wounded due to an event.
- With my thanes wounded, the game counted me as having 0
- When I went to the recruitment screen, I was able to max out the slider and recruited 26
- Finally I sac'd to Chalana Arroy to heal wounds
- I now have 50 weaponthanes.

Now the thing I want to know is, is this intentional? Or gaming the system?
It's not like I could have planned ahead for the random event wounding all my guys.

I'm sliding towards clever use of game mechanics :v:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It's a known exploit from all the way back in the pre iOS days.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
You can pull a similar trick by sending a bunch of weaponthanes out to explore and recruiting before they come back.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Oh, sorry, Wenalia is similar to Loskalm, in a lot of ways, but I actually meant Safelster in this instance: City states by the water, with tribal barbarians in the uplands.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
It looks as if 1200-1300 people is about the ceiling in terms of population, am I right? Anything beyond that and you're one bad harvest away from running out of food.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ehhh not so much, 1200-1300 is about when the clan ties start to breakdown and splits become easier to deal with than the associated headaches of running a clan that big.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

It looks as if 1200-1300 people is about the ceiling in terms of population, am I right? Anything beyond that and you're one bad harvest away from running out of food.

Just make a tribe and keep slamming unto the 1200-1400 ceiling. Then send them off and make your tribe full of clans that are all split off of your clan and love you. You basically get a lot of the benefits of a huge population and few of the drawbacks.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
KoDP clans are basically homeowner's associations; if you let them grow too large the resulting drama makes it collapse.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

If your expected harvest is a couple hundred bushels greater than your population, the carls will stop trying to split the clan. Since expected harvests don't properly take crop blessings into account, if you have the major 3 and a high expected yield, 3 years of ordinary harvests will make you very, very wealthy indeed with regard to food. Frequently by a decade of play, I could stop farming entirely for 2 or 3 years and still be fine on food.

The weapon thanes will continue to try to split the clan because it's too big and they don't want to follow orders from folks they are not related to, but honestly you can just give them some random gifts and maybe tell them to go kick a nerd and they will come back happy.

Really, splitting the clan is up to whether or not you want to deal with the annoyance of the repetitive events. The negative effects are very controllable and the advantage of having thousands of dudes is considerable.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
And if you've done well on trading, you can shower basically everyone in your clan with a ton of silver.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
What are the downsides to clearing out all of your available land for crops and pastures? I guess I just don't see why you wouldn't do that since hunting produces such a lower yield than farming.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Hunters are useful for more than just food. They fight better than farmers, provide a small amount of goods from furs/horns/etc, improve exploration odds, and can help spot raids.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Unzip and Attack posted:

What are the downsides to clearing out all of your available land for crops and pastures? I guess I just don't see why you wouldn't do that since hunting produces such a lower yield than farming.

Pisses off the elves, right?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Haifisch posted:

Hunters are useful for more than just food. They fight better than farmers, provide a small amount of goods from furs/horns/etc, improve exploration odds, and can help spot raids.

Does anyone know how much they produce in terms of food compared to farmers?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

According to the manual, hunters produce 2 bushels of food a year.

I've done maybe 30 playthroughs, and my most consistently likely to win strategy was maxing out hunters and skirmishing all the time, which is a low-risk, low-reward strategy all around. I'm not sure I've ever had a clan deathspiral while leaning heavily on hunters. Hunters own.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Pisses off the elves, right?

Ugh dealing with elves. Also there's that whole fox event chain.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tulip posted:

According to the manual, hunters produce 2 bushels of food a year.

I've done maybe 30 playthroughs, and my most consistently likely to win strategy was maxing out hunters and skirmishing all the time, which is a low-risk, low-reward strategy all around. I'm not sure I've ever had a clan deathspiral while leaning heavily on hunters. Hunters own.

Ugh dealing with elves. Also there's that whole fox event chain.

gently caress that fox

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I have never felt so smug in this game as when I successfully captured that fox and sacrificed it to Eurmal.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I thought the fox was an elf thing anyway?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Coolguye posted:

If your expected harvest is a couple hundred bushels greater than your population, the carls will stop trying to split the clan. Since expected harvests don't properly take crop blessings into account, if you have the major 3 and a high expected yield, 3 years of ordinary harvests will make you very, very wealthy indeed with regard to food. Frequently by a decade of play, I could stop farming entirely for 2 or 3 years and still be fine on food.

Didn't they fix this exploit in the iOS version? I remember when I used to play on desktop you'd never lose more than a few dozen bushels a year to spoilage, so if you were producing 1000+ crops you ended up with a massive stockpile.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

freebooter posted:

Didn't they fix this exploit in the iOS version? I remember when I used to play on desktop you'd never lose more than a few dozen bushels a year to spoilage, so if you were producing 1000+ crops you ended up with a massive stockpile.

It's harder to keep a massive stockpile but still completely possible. Working as intended, basically.

Also regarding clearing forests, any pasture that isn't used due to not having enough cattle will revert to forest within a decade or so anyway. Its just not worth the trouble. Clear forests when are going to use that land, sure, but trying to terraform your tula is a waste of your time.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

PerniciousKnid posted:

I thought the fox was an elf thing anyway?

Sometimes. Or sometimes it's just a jerkass fox.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Finally decided to pony up the cash for the Guide, and holy hell. The worst thing about D&D was that it was Medieval Europe with magic crudely bolted on, and I've always wondered what a society besieged with magic and monsters would be structured.

Now I'll never wonder what such a society looks like ever again, I can just look it up! I'll also never want for another setting ever again, as it's detailed enough to transplant a city from the Guide into a different world if need be, and it won't be any worse than normal settings!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
D&D is medieval Europe with magic bolted on and everything that makes medieval Europe interesting taken out. D&D settings are mostly awful, with a couple of exceptions.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
They are also going to be bringing out Belintars book fairly soon, so that should be awesome and filled with cool god myths to take and pop down anywhere.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Finally. Will be nice to get good pantheon details for people besides Sartarite Orlanthi.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Finally. Will be nice to get good pantheon details for people besides Sartarite Orlanthi.

True, I mean we know a bit of the history of all the others, but it can be a little hard to mash together all the "Historical" and "Mythical" bits for other nations. Plus we do have some understanding of Esroliam the Brinithi and sections of the West. It is just the East and some of the other lands we lack them for.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Not going to happen and it'd prolly be impossible to do properly, but I'd love if the new version/game let you play one of the mythical figures who turns up from nowhere and builds an entirely new civilisation by pulling bits from existing civs you come into contact with.

Do I want to promote pacifism or should my people wear the skulls of my inevitable enemies? The challenge would come from seeing how long you could keep the game running before it all degenerates into godlearnerism and you go insane trying to build a new always was the one true god.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

We do get to play as Sartar in the end bits of KoDP. But yeah, I think a cool thing would be doing something in the far west where you have the constant problem of "I have to both pay my taxes and have to deal with the occasionally Brinithi/Vadelli coming along and setting fire to things"

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Is there a way to check which Heroquests you've already done? Reloaded an old save game and I can't remember.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ART THOU READY FOR THINE CHRISTMAS MIRACLE?!

That's right friends, it's time to get this King of Dragon Pass LP going again!

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Hope this is the right place to ask - I'm trying to play this on a Galaxy Tab S2 and I can't get beyond the "Herocraft" splash screen to actually play the game. Does anyone have any idea why this might be?

Edit: Solved the original problem, but now it seems like it doesn't play nice with the Tab S2's screen size :(

Owlkill fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 4, 2015

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Ask me about Verethragna!

Owlkill posted:

Hope this is the right place to ask - I'm trying to play this on a Galaxy Tab S2 and I can't get beyond the "Herocraft" splash screen to actually play the game. Does anyone have any idea why this might be?

Edit: Solved the original problem, but now it seems like it doesn't play nice with the Tab S2's screen size :(

It should work fine on phones. If everything in the layout is too small, it might be trying to use the tablet layout. Maybe contact Herocraft and ask them about compatibility with your particular model of phone. (it could be that the game doesn't recognize it and runs in tablet mode)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

JanPospisil posted:

It should work fine on phones. If everything in the layout is too small, it might be trying to use the tablet layout. Maybe contact Herocraft and ask them about compatibility with your particular model of phone. (it could be that the game doesn't recognize it and runs in tablet mode)

It worked fine on my phone (Nexus 5), aside from all the bugs.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

How do you get a trickster to join your ring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

a7m2 posted:

How do you get a trickster to join your ring?

Start with one and assign them, restart if you don't or hope for one of your nobles to turn out to be one? :shrug:

• Locked thread