Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Leal posted:

I feel like I should ask this in the stupid questions thread but it is food related and I think I'll get a better answer here:

Are there any savory meals, namely those with a protein like beef or lamb, that uses chocolate or mint as an ingredient and is actually good? I've been watching all sorts of Ramsay reality shows lately and several times people will come up with a dish that either has mint or chocolate as a sauce for it. Not only does Ramsay never like them, even before he tastes it he goes "you loving what", which makes me think that its just not possible to mix these flavors. And yet so many try. So I'm curious if anyone has actually had a satisfactory chocolate or mint sauce used with meats.
Mint is one of the most popular flavors in food all over the Middle East. It's almost harder to think of savory meals without mint when it comes to Middle Eastern food. Ditto for Persian food. Mint's everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yeah mint and lamb are a classic flavour combination just like pork and sage is.

A British roast lamb is not complete without mint sauce.

eta: to add on to Thai cooking using mint a lot, Vietnamese cooking uses mint as a major part of its cuisine and pairs it with chicken a lot along with coriander.

Helith fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 1, 2020

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
And mint chutney in Indian food goes with almost anything. And there's mint in other Indian food too, like mint parantha, moong dal with mint, mint rice, and so on. And tons of Turkish food has mint in it.

edit: and Greek food! Mint is everywhere in Greek food. It's starting to get harder to think of cuisines that don't pair mint with savory stuff...

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

since nobody answered, probably not. You can make confit in a preasure cooker ala modernist. I've had mixed success with it, honestly poor, and even then once they're cracked you gotta fridge and use fast.
That is unfortunate. Now I’ve got even more respect for the random pizza place in India that had a bottle of garlic oil on the table, cause they must be making it fresh near daily. That was so tasty, I wanted to replicate at home but it wasn’t meant to be.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So I've always wanted to try my hand at making a homemade deep dish pizza, because I've always loved it but I've also moved an eternity away from where I could get it regularly, so now my only hope is to make one for myself. Are there any decent recipes to start with that might be compatible with a springform pan, or should I just run with making a generic pizza dough and layering from there?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So I've always wanted to try my hand at making a homemade deep dish pizza, because I've always loved it but I've also moved an eternity away from where I could get it regularly, so now my only hope is to make one for myself. Are there any decent recipes to start with that might be compatible with a springform pan, or should I just run with making a generic pizza dough and layering from there?

Lou Malnati’s will send you a frozen pie in the mail if you’re desperate.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Funktor posted:

Thanks, I'll check it out. I didn't mean put the fruit in during the making of the yogurt, I'm more interested in blending it in after. Can that be done with just like a standard Ninja or something?

Sure. Blend it up, scoop it out, and eat on it for a week.

If you cut up the fruit or use something like pitted cherries I find enough of the juice leaks out to flavor the yogurt that I don't need to worry about blending it and just give it a good stir before eating. (I get that kids may not like the non-uniform texture or yogurt taste though.) Pineapple pieces are my absolute favorite this way-- the sweetness blends so well with the tartness, and then I throw some blueberries in it for more delicious flavor bursts. (Blueberries definitely don't leak delicious juices into the yogurt, though.)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm a big fan of my homemade blueberry jam, from local berries. Even though jam is mostly sugar, the flavor is strong enough that you don't have to use much, just a teaspoon or so in a bowl.

Then, again, I also like plain, unsweetened yogurt, too. So I'm weird. And it's not like I don't have a sweet tooth! I just like my yogurt dry.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Deep dish is an odd crusht, like a leavened cornmeal low hydration thing iirc. You can't use a regular pizza dough since it's a casserole.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Thanks everyone this was enlightening.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Also chocolate in chili

Wait what?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Leal posted:

Wait what?

Pretty standard, the idea comes from chocolate mole. Small amounts of really dark chocolate as a flavor enhancer.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Chocolate and coffee often get snuck into other spice mix type things like in BBQ rubs because they bring complexity and “dark” toasty flavors

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

What do I do with this plum extract business. I mean, besides this:

It says ingredients plum and sugar. Smells boozy, tastes like syrup

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 1, 2020

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I mixed a load of stewed and blended sour plums with gin once, and it definitely made that various food more delicious

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Apparently if you mix w water from steamed eggplants it tastes like grape juice

And if you mix it w milk, it makes a yogurty thing after curdling?

https://m.blog.naver.com/daeboo108/70091179188

More translation coming never lol

Apparently its part of a series of foods including plum gochujang, doenjang, soy sauce, etc. So deffo seems real savory thing

E: huh that bit is on the packaging

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 2, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Yeah, all the other poo poo I found on the internet is about health benefits and they all tell you to put 10ml of extract in water so eh

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Apologies if this is easy to find and I've somehow missed it, but does anyone have a go-to resource for Thai cooking?

Specifically, I'd like to find a good Pad Thai and a good Massaman Curry recipe, but I'd be happy to learn how to play with the flavors and heat as well.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
leela from shesimmers.com has two books, i really liked the first one and use it as my sole thai cookbook

and pailin's kitchen on youtube is also really good too

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

No Butt Stuff posted:

Apologies if this is easy to find and I've somehow missed it, but does anyone have a go-to resource for Thai cooking?

Specifically, I'd like to find a good Pad Thai and a good Massaman Curry recipe, but I'd be happy to learn how to play with the flavors and heat as well.

I did a long post where you asked this same question in TFF, but feel free to PM me because my wife is Thai and we cook both of these at least once a month. Spoiler alert, we use Maesri brand curry paste out of a can and you should too!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I scrolled through on the app there and didn’t spot one but is there a general baking thread? Few questiosn about starting baking and trying to find the right thread, apologies if I missed it folks as I am stupid as poo poo.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

EmmyOk posted:

I scrolled through on the app there and didn’t spot one but is there a general baking thread? Few questiosn about starting baking and trying to find the right thread, apologies if I missed it folks as I am stupid as poo poo.

Baking bread? That’d be Rise To Me

Otherwise, I think you’re SOL, but you can just ask here

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 3, 2020

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Scientastic posted:

Baking bread? That’d be Rise To Me

Otherwise, I think you’re SOL, but you can just ask here

Okay I will try that after this one! Ty ty

My question is really just that I’d like to start baking this year and was wondering about a suitable baking book for a beginner. I figure I could just google but imo it’s better to ask seasoned goons rather than just try figure out which website has the best top ten list!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Baking what

There is a cookie thread too

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

A bit of everything really probably like to get good at doing cakes and that kind of thing (bread foam type food?) more than pastries. But I’ve no experience with cooking only eating so I’m not that sure where to start really!

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Idk about Ireland but around here they have basically starter packs that contain the right amounts of all the different dry ingredients you need to bake certain types of bread, so all you have to do is add water and maybe egg if needed, mix/knead and bake into sourdough or whatever. Probably about as easy as it gets so you can get a feel for the technique and baking times in your oven, etc. and you can go from there.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

C-Euro posted:

I did a long post where you asked this same question in TFF, but feel free to PM me because my wife is Thai and we cook both of these at least once a month. Spoiler alert, we use Maesri brand curry paste out of a can and you should too!

maesri curry paste is the poo poo, and I saw a whole wall of shelves full of it in the pantry at my local very-good-thai-place.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

No Butt Stuff posted:

I love this book.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

Okay I will try that after this one! Ty ty

My question is really just that I’d like to start baking this year and was wondering about a suitable baking book for a beginner. I figure I could just google but imo it’s better to ask seasoned goons rather than just try figure out which website has the best top ten list!

The Joy of Cooking is a classic text and maybe a bit dated, but it does have sections on technique which is valuable. It'll have a lot of classic recipes, but nothing particularly fancy.

The pro-tier move is to get a good scale and then find recipes that weigh ingredients. These days I've been pulling recipes from https://www.kingarthurflour.com which have weights for the ingredients. This doesn't help with old recipes (unless you record the weights you used to get a good result), but is definitely the easiest way to get good results.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Take a look at Ratio, it does a good job at breaking down how similar many baked goods are and what ingredients are doing what. You need another book if you want fancy recipes, these are mostly basic recipes with hints on ways to make them more interesting.

In the vein of Joy of Cooking, America's Test Kitchen New Best Recipe is a similar all-in-one but it has more modern recipes. They do a good job of explaining decisions made in the recipe, there is often a page or two of things they tried and what worked. They have very good desert recipes for the most part.

Something like Joy of Cooking should be really cheap used, I learned a lot from it as a kid.

There are a lot of good bread books, really. Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast is good and has nice pictures and stuff.

Betty Crocker Cookie Book is a good classic

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
The King Arthur Baker's Companion is a pretty good intro-level general baking text. It's kinda like the baking equivalent of Bittman, if that makes sense. Once you start wanting to drill down on specific subjects you'll end up looking for better specialty texts on those subjects, but until you get there having something super broad and general that doesn't have a lot of fiddly or fussy recipes is what you really want.

And unless you don't want to do business with amazon, it's worth knowing that baking texts go on sale regularly for crazy cheap if you're willing to get them on kindle. I think I got Beranbaum's Bread Bible and Baking Bible for around US$3 apiece, and a have a shitload of random other baking texts I've picked up because they were just a buck or two and haven't even bothered looking at them yet.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

taqueso posted:

Something like Joy of Cooking should be really cheap used, I learned a lot from it as a kid.

Yeah I should have said this, it's more of a pick up at the used book store kind of book since there are a lot of copies out there.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
For that matter, a lot of cooking books except the hottest new books are like $5 used

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Eight years and 1255 pages has made this thread a bit intimidating for new users. As such, with the new year comes a new thread!