Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
whats good side dish to make for christmas that can sit in the fridge for 24 hours because i have to make it the day before

i was thinking like a soup or chili or something, usually poo poo like that gets better when it sits for a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
UPDATE POST:

Meat turned out delicious. Closer to medium than my planned medium-rare (because I forgot about it during the sear)

I added the carrots from the aromatics to the brussel sprouts, pancetta, and Parmesan and that worked out nice

Roast potatoes and Brie are great

Lessons for next time: keep an eye on the meat during the sear. Luckily I wasn’t too far off:

Also my girlfriend made deviled eggs and she’s very proud.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Is there a candy thread or candy recipes? I've got the itch for hard candy (rock specifically like former goon Riley) and some toffees.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mezzanon posted:

onion soup mix

:confused:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Christmas Dinner coming up, I bought a whole turkey crown. I was planning on brining it? But I have no idea how to and if it would even be beneficial. I was going to pressure cook it for 30 minutes with some onions / celery / carrots and then finish roasting it in the oven to crisp it up. I was going to leave it in a bowl with brine for 24 hours in the fridge, and maybe add some lemon juice and rosemary / thyme, is this overkill? I then have basic veggies like cabbage, sprouts, carrots, potatoes. I was going to roast the potatoes in goose fat to be extra crispy, and slice the sprouts in two and sear them in a pan and then finish in the oven (for loads of caramelization). The carrots and cabbage I was going to toss into the turkey water and then reduce it to a thick sort of gravy, but I don't know if it will be flavourful enough seeing as there aren't many turkey bones in the crown.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Scientastic posted:

My mother is coming to visit on Sunday, and on a whim I swapped the chicken I had in my shopping trolley for a duck.

I want to roast it and have it with the usual winter vegetables, but has anyone got any protips for how to get the best out of it?

I don’t have a sous vide.

I've had good results with something similar to this:
http://www.thehungrymouse.com/2009/02/11/the-best-way-to-roast-a-duck-hello-crispy-skin/

Save the duck fat and use it to roast your potatoes. You won't be disappointed.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

We're doing our first dry brine bird this year. Spatchcocked a turkey last night and rubbed it down all over with a mix of kosher salt and a little brown sugar, and it's been chilling on a tray in the fridge since then. The directions I'm reading say to rinse the bird before cooking, but my question is is that step necessary and how much should I rinse it? The plan after that is still to pay dry, season, and compound butter under the breast skin like we usually do.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

It’s a weird thing my mom used to do when she made things so now I just do it by default. I have no idea if it actually adds anything but I mix it in with the wine and beef stock to cook under the roast.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mezzanon posted:

It’s a weird thing my mom used to do when she made things so now I just do it by default. I have no idea if it actually adds anything but I mix it in with the wine and beef stock to cook under the roast.
Most onion soup/dip mixes are just dried onions, a shitload of salt, and usually a little sugar. If you're already using a mirepoix you can adjust all the same knobs with stuff you already have in the recipe. Not trying to talk you out of doing it the way you're doing it, but you're basically using the soup mix as very expensive salt.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone got a good kbbq kalbi marinade to recommend?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Taken from The Truck Food Cookbook by John T. Edge. I can't vouch for it's "authenticity" but it's really good.

2 cups soy sauce
2 cups maple syrup
1 and 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 yellow onion peeled and quartered
4 scallions coarsely chopped
1/3 cup peeled garlic
1 kiwi peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 Asian pear peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 can 7-Up or Sprite
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/3 cup toasted sesame oil
4 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1/3 cup mirin
1 and 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

Blend everything until smooth. This makes quite a bit (> 6 cups) of marinade.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 27, 2019

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Chard posted:

We're doing our first dry brine bird this year. Spatchcocked a turkey last night and rubbed it down all over with a mix of kosher salt and a little brown sugar, and it's been chilling on a tray in the fridge since then. The directions I'm reading say to rinse the bird before cooking, but my question is is that step necessary and how much should I rinse it? The plan after that is still to pay dry, season, and compound butter under the breast skin like we usually do.

GET THE SUGAR OFF IT BEFORE ROASTING

It will burn! Esp. doing a spatchcock bird high and fast. I killed the delicious skin off a chicken doing that, it was very sad.

My dry brine is salt alone. Smoked salt if you got em!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 27, 2019

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Wow, I always heard that Korean food had become very sweet, but holy moley the amount of sweet things going into that marinade :eyepop:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I watched an episode of a documentary "Cooked" about bread. While I was aware that white bread was bad, and sourdough was good, I did not realize that the fermentation process was an important part of proper bread-making. Is this true? Some googling suggests that the easiest way to identify proper sourdough bread is to look at the ingredients and verify that (1) it uses whole grain flour and (2) it does not list yeast as an ingredient. Am I on the right track? Is enriched flour a bad thing, or is it "good, but not as good as whole grain flour"?

If it turns out that whole grain flour breads without yeast work better for me, are there certain cereals I should be avoiding or is it enough to identify those that use whole grains and are low in sugar? I have been reaching for Kashi's whole grain cereals lately, and I am happy.

I am asking because some breads/tortillas do give me stomach issues, and I am tired of randomly trying different breads/tortillas/cereals.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Helith posted:

Wow, I always heard that Korean food had become very sweet, but holy moley the amount of sweet things going into that marinade :eyepop:

Highest rising rate of diabetes in the world for about a decade there

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

theHUNGERian posted:

I watched an episode of a documentary "Cooked" about bread. While I was aware that white bread was bad, and sourdough was good, I did not realize that the fermentation process was an important part of proper bread-making. Is this true? Some googling suggests that the easiest way to identify proper sourdough bread is to look at the ingredients and verify that (1) it uses whole grain flour and (2) it does not list yeast as an ingredient. Am I on the right track? Is enriched flour a bad thing, or is it "good, but not as good as whole grain flour"?

If it turns out that whole grain flour breads without yeast work better for me, are there certain cereals I should be avoiding or is it enough to identify those that use whole grains and are low in sugar? I have been reaching for Kashi's whole grain cereals lately, and I am happy.

I am asking because some breads/tortillas do give me stomach issues, and I am tired of randomly trying different breads/tortillas/cereals.

im no doctor but listen to your gut?

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
Am I blind or is there no BBQ thread?!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

jvick posted:

I have the feeling that any BBQ thread on these forums would very quickly devolve into US goons 'debating' which regional US style of BBQ is 'better'.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have two dozen persimmons, the fat kind. Half of them are way ripe and have started turning into jelly like the tall persimmons. What should I do with them? Keep in mind I’m hosting an xmas party in three days.

Ice cream? Jam? Pie?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Highest rising rate of diabetes in the world for about a decade there

*type 2 diabetes

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

theHUNGERian posted:

See a doctor if you're decently insured. They can do a variety of things:

An elimination diet where you systematically investigate what foods cause problems
Stool sample to rule out GI bleeding or parasites
Blood sample to check for antibodies and other disease markers

I've read that some gluten sensitivities are actually either FODMAP intolerance or something else that sourdough fermentation breaks down. Do some reading from trusted sources and figure out what sounds like your situation, and good luck!

I had IBS for a couple of years which would knock me out for a couple weeks at a time. Fixing that was worth more than gold. Wasn't a diet thing, but they helped me find it with a stool sample :itwaspoo:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

jvick posted:

Don't let the smoke get in your eyes.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

barkbell posted:

im no doctor but listen to your gut?

True. I was hoping I could down-select before trying out everything..

BrianBoitano posted:

See a doctor if you're decently insured. They can do a variety of things:

An elimination diet where you systematically investigate what foods cause problems
Stool sample to rule out GI bleeding or parasites
Blood sample to check for antibodies and other disease markers

I've read that some gluten sensitivities are actually either FODMAP intolerance or something else that sourdough fermentation breaks down. Do some reading from trusted sources and figure out what sounds like your situation, and good luck!

I had IBS for a couple of years which would knock me out for a couple weeks at a time. Fixing that was worth more than gold. Wasn't a diet thing, but they helped me find it with a stool sample :itwaspoo:

Even though I am insured, my troubles aren't worth a doctor's visit. I'll have one bad day (often not even more than 12 hours) followed by 3-6 months of smooth sailing. My most recent issue was probably caused by eating something new, so I have eliminated it, and things are immediately back to normal. I am probably just overreacting from having watched that documentary on the day I wasn't feeling well.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

theHUNGERian posted:

1. Proper sourdough bread won't list any acids. Sometimes you might find a teensy bit of yeast added for insurance from home bakers, and a lot of commercial sourdough is just normally yeasted bread with added acids to give it that tang (that I wouldn't call real). Real sourdough can be made with any flour at all-- white, whole wheat, rye, etc.

Actual sourdough is quite easy to make and costs pennies, and the no-knead variety doesn't even take more than 5 minutes of work, if you want to give making bread a try (come see us in the bread thread).

2. Some people tolerate different grains better, or might have chemical sensitivities to an ingredient in the bread. E.g. there are some emulsifiers I try to avoid as they don't sit well with me, and it's not the grains that are the problem. And as you saw in your (probably a little bit alarmist) documentary, sourdough bread breaks down some of the proteins so some find it easier to tolerate.

If you don't want to go to the doctor, just keep notes & avoid what doesn't work for you. (You may even try making your own bread to control the ingredients-- all you'd need is flour, water, salt, yeast, and a loaf pan or dutch oven to cook it in.)

For the cereals, the Kashi ones are definitely low-sugar and high in fiber if you get the right ones. Just read the labels and take notes.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

effika posted:

1. Proper sourdough bread won't list any acids. Sometimes you might find a teensy bit of yeast added for insurance from home bakers, and a lot of commercial sourdough is just normally yeasted bread with added acids to give it that tang (that I wouldn't call real). Real sourdough can be made with any flour at all-- white, whole wheat, rye, etc.

Actual sourdough is quite easy to make and costs pennies, and the no-knead variety doesn't even take more than 5 minutes of work, if you want to give making bread a try (come see us in the bread thread).

2. Some people tolerate different grains better, or might have chemical sensitivities to an ingredient in the bread. E.g. there are some emulsifiers I try to avoid as they don't sit well with me, and it's not the grains that are the problem. And as you saw in your (probably a little bit alarmist) documentary, sourdough bread breaks down some of the proteins so some find it easier to tolerate.

If you don't want to go to the doctor, just keep notes & avoid what doesn't work for you. (You may even try making your own bread to control the ingredients-- all you'd need is flour, water, salt, yeast, and a loaf pan or dutch oven to cook it in.)

For the cereals, the Kashi ones are definitely low-sugar and high in fiber if you get the right ones. Just read the labels and take notes.

Thanks, I'll check out the bread thread.

jvick posted:

Reminds me of

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Bold Beautiful Women

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

baby back wibs

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Helith posted:

That feeling of slowly rising horror as you read that list makes it seem Korean. Though maple syrup is weird, that's not exactly easy to get in Korea.

Here's a different, less sugary galbi marinade:

"½ cup soy sauce
1 cup water
¼ cup sugar
2 tablespoons honey
¼ cup rice wine
¼ cup about 1/2 of a medium Korean/Asian pear grated
¼ cup about 1/2 of a medium onion grated
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced ginger
2 tablespoons sesame oil
½ teaspoon black pepper"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Were you the one who was showing pictures of food to kids in Korea and asking what flavor they were and the kids said “sweet” to everything

And how many pounds of galbi is that recipe for because I got like 20 lbs

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steve Yun posted:

Bold Beautiful Women

You rang? ;-*

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Steve Yun posted:

Were you the one who was showing pictures of food to kids in Korea and asking what flavor they were and the kids said “sweet” to everything

And how many pounds of galbi is that recipe for because I got like 20 lbs

I don't remember that story but it would not surprise me. I still have nightmares about when one school was making ddeokbokki for the kids and emptying entire bags of sugar and bottles of corn syrup into the sauce. It was not that much sauce.

That marinade says it is for 3-4 pounds. But if you have that much I'd do variations. Something gochujang-y like you often get with galmaeggisal, something more vinegary.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'm not sure if this is the right thread (or forum) for this, but does anyone know what the stretchy mochi-like substance you eat with chopsticks like a noodle is (Japanese cuisine)? My uncle told me to get something like that for him and I'm not sure if it's something shelf-stable, which would put an obvious damper on it. I think it's because he saw it in an anime, which seems like a strike against it existing.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Steve Yun posted:

Bold Beautiful Women

:ghost: Barbewooooooooooo :ghost:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread (or forum) for this, but does anyone know what the stretchy mochi-like substance you eat with chopsticks like a noodle is (Japanese cuisine)? My uncle told me to get something like that for him and I'm not sure if it's something shelf-stable, which would put an obvious damper on it. I think it's because he saw it in an anime, which seems like a strike against it existing.

I've never seen such a thing in Japan. There are instances where you eat mochi with chopsticks.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Possibly udon noodles? I've seen them drawn Ghibli-style. Delicious, easy and fast if you get frozen or refrigerated. Only slightly less fast if you go dried.

I adore Ottolenghi's eggplant recipe (also in Plenty More if you have the book) https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/jan/23/udon-noodles-miso-walnut-ottolenghi
Here's one with pork we've enjoyed too (sub mushrooms for vegetarian) https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/stir-fried-udon-with-pork

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Udon isn't stretchy but yeah that's the only thing I can think of. Or hoto noodles.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

What's the sticky yam thing that the old man choked on in Tampopo?
Maybe that stuff?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

toplitzin posted:

What's the sticky yam thing that the old man choked on in Tampopo?
Maybe that stuff?

Tororo I think that's called.

Anime Schoolgirl could also be talking about natto :chef:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Helith posted:

Tororo I think that's called.

Yeah, tororo. It doesn't taste like anything and it's hard to eat cum with chopsticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, tororo. It doesn't taste like anything and it's hard to eat cum with chopsticks.

Tororo is delicious and you eat it with rice. You palette is just not sensitive enough for its subtle flavors :D

...But you usually mix it with other stuff because, yeah, it's pretty bland.