Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

MrBishop posted:

I was very satisfied with the results, but expanding on Mach420's question, is there some pre-cook prep that should be done to the meat to make it even more delicious?

edit:
Oops, checked my post in the grilling thread that I made about this, I actually cooked the thing 11 hours. Here's what this beautiful butt looked like after just two hours:

I'm going to skip the brining.

One of the things that I've read about is injection. It seems like a lot of competitive BBQ guys use it, so why not. It couldn't hurt. I'm making it from a recipe from a guy called Chris Lilly and will put some of that into the butt overnight.

Pork injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire

Edit: The butt came out great. I foiled at 160 and kept it going to 190. Moist and delicious with South Carolina mustard sauce that I made.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Croatoan posted:

So why were great threads like the cheese thread, the Indian thread, the industry thread (holy crap, some of us work in the FOOD industry) and the bread thread? I don't see how these needed to be in the culling. I'm not mod sassing, I just don't see why those in particular were cut when threads like the vegan thread are a-ok?

Compare the OP of this Chinese Cooking thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401971

with the cheese thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3088948

One is a "here are pantry items, what to do with them, a list of recipes etc." and the other is "cheese exists."

There is no reason any thread can't be restarted, with a better OP aimed at education.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
A question about stock options..

We're a few guys who're taking our beer brewing equipment, and will use it to make stock.

What we have is a 150l and a 200l pot, paella burners (btuing like gently caress), and are going to break up a few cow carcasses to do this thing.

But - are there anything I should premeditate, or is it just a question of scaling up?

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
I have a craving for a grilled garlic chili banana sandwich, does anyone have a recipe for one?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

theDoubleH posted:

Thanks for all the tips. Luckily when I did this last winter Sasquatch didn't get my stock. It probably helped that it was on a second-floor roof buried in snow. Anyways, I was afraid to let it cool to room temperature because I thought that could take a while (it's a huge pot) and be a risk. But my freezer is completely empty besides a couple bags of ice and a loaf of bread that I might as well move to the fridge. It was previously filled with a few zip loc bags each of chicken and vegetable scraps, but now those are all in the stock!

Also Cranberry Jam, good idea with the water bottle. Should speed the cool to room temperature part.

I'm an rear end for not mentioning this sooner, but next time you want to bring down a large quantity of liquid to room temp, the very first thing you should be doing is to break down the large mass into smaller pieces. If you're doing a large batch of stock, these here are very useful for that:

http://www.amazon.com/Delitainer-Deli-Food-Containers-Lids/dp/B004NKBTY4/ref=pd_sim_misc3

This way, you've got about two quarts in one go, which is more than enough stock to use up at one time, unless you're making masses of soup. Essentially, all's you gotta do is pour them into the smaller containers, and leave 'em out for like 20 minutes or so. They'll cool down very rapidly. Then throw them in the freezer just like that.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.
Trip report: yellow split pea soup benefits from Romesco sauce. Cooked the peas in a pressure cooker for ~40 minutes with vegetable stock, a LOT of leeks, carrots and herbs. Added bloomed saffron, smoked paprika, salt, pepper and olive oil, blended with stick blender and let simmer for 20 minutes. On its own it was good, but a dollop of Romesco makes it weaponized deliciousness.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Vegetable Melange posted:

Straight up this thread is a wholesale improvement on the "hey can i get a flavor pairing" we so missed, but can a guy get a link to the #gws irc up in here?

For content, rockcity, if you freeze you ice cream base you can let it sit until you get the paddle since the whole mess is meant to get froze. Since you will be freezing it to serve, letting the base chill out will do no harm.

Thanks, I actually thought about that and was leaning toward it already. I'll definitely go that route then.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

Croatoan posted:

So why were great threads like the cheese thread, the Indian thread, the industry thread (holy crap, some of us work in the FOOD industry) and the bread thread? I don't see how these needed to be in the culling. I'm not mod sassing, I just don't see why those in particular were cut when threads like the vegan thread are a-ok?

Edit: just noticed a ban for sassing about the changes. I'm not looking for trouble, I just wondered about those threads in particular. I thought they are great resources and that's one of the reasons I use GWS is for the resources we have. The wiki is made from threads like that. For example (not pimping it because it happened to be mine, I'm just really familiar with it) the cheese thread is where 100% of the cheese stuff on the wiki cake from. Again, Not trying to get probated or banned, if I can't ask about that here I'll delete this and shush.

Apparently any thread before this year was banhammered. This is to inspire us to make new threads.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I made chicken stock yesterday for the first time. I wanted to double check with you all to make sure I did it right. After a day in the fridge the stock is more gelatinous than I expected. So did I do this correctly?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

lifts cats over head posted:

I made chicken stock yesterday for the first time. I wanted to double check with you all to make sure I did it right. After a day in the fridge the stock is more gelatinous than I expected. So did I do this correctly?

This is how my stock turns out:

The more gelatin you have in it, the more unctuous the texture will be.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Hey dudes, I have a citrus tree out back that's hardy enough to grow in northeast GA (near Athens). It has long spines on the branches and produces golf ball sized fruit that starts out green and ripens to bright yellow with a little fuzz on the fruit. The fruits are full of seeds (like 15-20 seeds per fruit) and have an opaque bright yellow-orange juice that is quite tart but not as tart as, say, a common lime. Is it a bitter lemon tree? I have no idea, but I wanna do stuff with it cause it's right outside the kitchen door behind the house.

Am I gonna die if I use the juice for things? I wanna play with the flavor and color of it, but I'm not totally sure what plant it is, exactly. Any ideas? I can take pictures later if anybody needs me to, I was just thinking about it and figured I'd go ahead and ask.

Cranberry Jam
Apr 8, 2011

rockcity posted:

So today I received my ice cream maker that I ordered a few days ago and all excited I ran out and bought all my ingredients, made my base, froze my bowl and then found out...they forgot to put the mixing paddle in the box with the ice cream maker. Lovely. I'm going to call Cuisinart in the morning to get that resolved, but my question is, how long should my ice cream base be good for in the fridge? The ingredients are all fresh as I bought them today, so they don't expire any time soon, but I wasn't sure if applying heat or mixing in the other ingredients would matter at all. Should it be ok in the fridge for a week while I wait for the paddle? Should I freeze it and re-melt it? Just curious if anyone has any more knowledge on this than I.

If you are going to keep in in the freezer I would put some parchment/wax paper on top of it to help keep out flavors you have floating around your freezer.

I let my ice cream base sit in the fridge for a day or two so the flavor can meld/bloom/mellow.

I don't think heating it them putting it in the freezer would mater too much, what other ingredients were you thinking of putting in it?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Hey dudes, I have a citrus tree out back that's hardy enough to grow in northeast GA (near Athens). It has long spines on the branches and produces golf ball sized fruit that starts out green and ripens to bright yellow with a little fuzz on the fruit. The fruits are full of seeds (like 15-20 seeds per fruit) and have an opaque bright yellow-orange juice that is quite tart but not as tart as, say, a common lime. Is it a bitter lemon tree? I have no idea, but I wanna do stuff with it cause it's right outside the kitchen door behind the house.

Am I gonna die if I use the juice for things? I wanna play with the flavor and color of it, but I'm not totally sure what plant it is, exactly. Any ideas? I can take pictures later if anybody needs me to, I was just thinking about it and figured I'd go ahead and ask.

Can you post a picture please?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Since the smoking thread closed before I got any responses and it hasn't been replaced yet I'll repost this.

Any thoughts on grabbing this for a first smoker on a tight budget? http://www.lowes.com/pd_332738-42600-CBS1101L_4294857758_4294937087_?productId=3294734&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1¤tURL=%2Fpl_Smokers_4294857758_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

It's either that or the Alton Brown Ceramic home-made around this price I think.

Edit: link is really ugly and only seems to work half the time, if it doesn't work it's a Master Forge Charcoal Smoker from Lowes

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 18, 2011

Capped
Jun 21, 2005

angerbeet posted:

Compare the OP of this Chinese Cooking thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401971

with the cheese thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3088948

One is a "here are pantry items, what to do with them, a list of recipes etc." and the other is "cheese exists."

There is no reason any thread can't be restarted, with a better OP aimed at education.

Since the original question included the Indian thread, can I ask what was wrong there specifically? The Indian thread op has history, influences, spices, techniques, important foods and equipment. How is this low effort or subpar compared to the Chinese thread?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Capped posted:

Since the original question included the Indian thread, can I ask what was wrong there specifically? The Indian thread op has history, influences, spices, techniques, important foods and equipment. How is this low effort or subpar compared to the Chinese thread?

Along these lines, the cake thread is pretty low content, yet was reopened. I'd think that would be restarted with something more than just "look at this cake I made" in the OP.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I am attempting to make oven-"fried" chicken today out of the things I have on-hand in my house. I'm using: boneless skinless chicken breasts, breadcrumbs, eggs, seasonings, and 2% milk. From what I've been looking at online, this will make an edible (if not authentic) crispy chicken thing. I'm planning on eating them with a spicy honey mustard sauce.

The thing I am confused on is oven temperature and time. I saw one recipe that recommended 350 degrees and 40 minutes, another 400 degrees and 20 minutes. I am planning on cutting my chicken breasts in half, then coating them, then baking them - so probably 4 ounces each piece? What temp/time should I pick? Are those times too long for breast meat?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Do you have a instant read thermometer? If not, get one, they're indispensable in the kitchen.

You can always sacrifice one and check to see if it is cooked through if you are worried about them being done. Both temp/time combos seem fine.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Okay - it's just for me so presentation isn't really a priority anyhow. I guess I should just check it 3/4 of the way through?

What I really wanted to know is if there's any difference in texture/taste/whatever using those two different temperatures. Would the hotter one be crispier? I avoid my oven like the plague because I don't really understand how temperature differences affect my finished product.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Can you post a picture please?

I'll take a picture in the morning, it's already pretty dim out right now. If it is bitter lemon, is there any reason I should not eat/drink it?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Can I post a new (was it closed) sandwich thread without photos?

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.
Looking for some recipes for lunch that meet the following criteria:

-Easily prepared and cheap recipes. Nothing fancy.
-Easily portable. This is for lunch in between classes, and I bike to campus.
-Doesn't need to be refrigerated and can hold up in 90 degree heat for a thirty minute bike ride.

Would like to stop eating out each day. So, if anyone has any suggestions or ideas that meet the above list, it would be greatly appreciated.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Can anyone recommend a good cheesecake recipe please? At the risk of sounding like a heathen (because I'm no cheesecake aficionado), I am a fan of the stuff at The Cheesecake Factory. There's a million copycat recipes on Google, but that's always hit or miss. Bonus points if it's layered with red velvet cake. Thanks!

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

geetee posted:

Can anyone recommend a good cheesecake recipe please? At the risk of sounding like a heathen (because I'm no cheesecake aficionado), I am a fan of the stuff at The Cheesecake Factory. There's a million copycat recipes on Google, but that's always hit or miss. Bonus points if it's layered with red velvet cake. Thanks!

CI has a good cheesecake. I don't know how it compares to Cheesecake factory. But this is the one I make.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/20528/cooks-illustrated-cheesecake.html Recipe matches up with my magazine recipe.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Vizrt posted:

Looking for some recipes for lunch that meet the following criteria:

-Easily prepared and cheap recipes. Nothing fancy.
-Easily portable. This is for lunch in between classes, and I bike to campus.
-Doesn't need to be refrigerated and can hold up in 90 degree heat for a thirty minute bike ride.

Would like to stop eating out each day. So, if anyone has any suggestions or ideas that meet the above list, it would be greatly appreciated.

30 minutes in 90 degree weather isn't bad at all. If you put it in a thermos (without icepacks) you shouldn't have to worry about it. As far as lunch. I love making red beans and rice.

Random google gives: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/red-beans-and-rice-recipe2/index.html You don't need three meats. Personally I use andouille or tasso (If I can find it). Bring this plus a bottle of tabasco and you have a full meal.

Phadedsky
Apr 2, 2007

Is it possible to freeze bread dough like pizza dough? Because I have a recipe for three loaves of bread, but I really only need one loaf at a time. Plus then I would have some ready to bake dough. Thanks!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
On the note of lunches I have a request too.

I'm going on a day trip in a few weeks and I'll have to brown bag my lunch. I need a meal that is filling, doesn't need to be refrigerated/heated up, and isn't bulky to carry since I'm stuck lugging it around with me.

Right now my only idea is peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Phadedsky posted:

Is it possible to freeze bread dough like pizza dough? Because I have a recipe for three loaves of bread, but I really only need one loaf at a time. Plus then I would have some ready to bake dough. Thanks!

I sometimes freeze naan dough at work and it comes out okay after thawing, and naan dough isn't terribly different than a basic pizza dough (plus yoghurt) - but the texture is a little different afterwords it seems, but not in a deal-breaking way.

Wandering Knitter posted:

On the note of lunches I have a request too.

I'm going on a day trip in a few weeks and I'll have to brown bag my lunch. I need a meal that is filling, doesn't need to be refrigerated/heated up, and isn't bulky to carry since I'm stuck lugging it around with me.

Right now my only idea is peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

have you considered cold cuts?

anyway
I don't drink but I like to cook with alcahol sometimes, is there anyway to keep the rest of a bottle of wine after I use a few tbsp in a sauce or something? Also, is there a chart or something so I can look up what kind of beer to use in something like chili?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

^^^Stay away from bitter beers. I like using stouts in mine. Something dark and malty with lots of body.

Phadedsky posted:

Freezing is fine. If you do a two rise dough, freeze after the first. If you do a single rise dough, freeze before you do a rise. Cut em down into portions, hit with a bit of oil and wrap well with plastic wrap.

Pull the dough out long enough before you want a pizza to let it thaw. A few hours before you wanna bake, toss it in a bowl and let it proof like normal. Cook like normal.

Phadedsky
Apr 2, 2007

And this works with loaves of bread as well?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Phadedsky posted:

And this works with loaves of bread as well?

Yep.

Edit: Hell, dough is pretty forgiving. I've pulled em straight from the fridge, tossed in a cold oven and let doughs bake up to the proper temp.

Phadedsky
Apr 2, 2007

Thanks! I was just worried about if the cold would affect the taste of the bread dough. I guess it's time to make some bread.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Humboldt squid posted:

I don't drink but I like to cook with alcahol sometimes, is there anyway to keep the rest of a bottle of wine after I use a few tbsp in a sauce or something?

Vacu vin and keep it in the fridge. Fridging a red would be bad for a wine you plan on drinking, but you'll be cooking with it, so it's fine, and slows its spoiling.
http://www.amazon.com/Vacu-Vin-3-Piece-Saver-Stopper/dp/B00004SAF4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1316414844&sr=8-2

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Sounds like you possibly have a Calamansi. However, from your description of just the tree (not the fruits) you perfectly described my parents' thorny tangerine.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

kinmik posted:

Sounds like you possibly have a Calamansi. However, from your description of just the tree (not the fruits) you perfectly described my parents' thorny tangerine.

golf ball sized is too big to be calamansi, my parents and all their friends have calamansi trees and the fruit is sized more like a large marble.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Jose posted:

Can I post a new (was it closed) sandwich thread without photos?

An OP with no pictures can work, but it's quite a stretch. I'd hold off until you secure a camera.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Humboldt squid posted:

anyway
I don't drink but I like to cook with alcahol sometimes, is there anyway to keep the rest of a bottle of wine after I use a few tbsp in a sauce or something? Also, is there a chart or something so I can look up what kind of beer to use in something like chili?

I get the little sutter home single serving 4-packs (glass bottles). Yeah, it's not fine wine, but it's perfectly adequate for almost any culinary application.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Okay, here are the pictures of the tree out back.
Tree with fruit on it:

Fruit in my hand:

Size of the thorns (they're sharp enough to really hurt if you're not paying attention and run into the tree at all):

Like I said, there are probably 15-20 seeds in each of those fruits and hardly any actual flesh. You get probably a tsp or two of juice out of one, and it's an opaque orangish yellow. The rind is pretty thick and has a little fuzz on it. I just want to be sure it's safe to eat before I go pick all the ripe fruits off to make fancy colored gin cocktails and mojo sauce with the juice.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Like I said, there are probably 15-20 seeds in each of those fruits and hardly any actual flesh. You get probably a tsp or two of juice out of one, and it's an opaque orangish yellow. The rind is pretty thick and has a little fuzz on it. I just want to be sure it's safe to eat before I go pick all the ripe fruits off to make fancy colored gin cocktails and mojo sauce with the juice.

I'm hardly an expert on this, but maybe when you pick them you'll need to give them time to ripen, as with anything potentially underripe?

Just a general idea/general suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009
A lot of recipes for soups and other water-cooked foods say "boil, then reduce to a simmer". I can sort of see why it might be important for recipes where you boil, then add ingredients, then simmer. That way adding everything reduces the water to the proper temp. But why do some recipes say "add ingredients, boil, simmer"?