Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redleg
Jul 7, 2003

What an odd looking.....Figurine
I have been briefly steaming then flash cooling squash to deep freeze it for winter. I have so much squash from my garden that I cant keep up with the limit being ice produced from the refrigerator.

Some (summer) squash has a really tough rind that even if steamed for more than 20 minutes. Are there recipes for really mature squash like that? Maybe baked like a winter squash or something?

Maybe a squash soup starter with the seeds and rind removed, freeze the puree and add cream when its thawed later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Redleg posted:

I have been briefly steaming then flash cooling squash to deep freeze it for winter. I have so much squash from my garden that I cant keep up with the limit being ice produced from the refrigerator.

Some (summer) squash has a really tough rind that even if steamed for more than 20 minutes. Are there recipes for really mature squash like that? Maybe baked like a winter squash or something?

Maybe a squash soup starter with the seeds and rind removed, freeze the puree and add cream when its thawed later?

Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in the oven until the flesh is soft. Scoop it out with a spoon and mix with bread crumbs, herbs, lardons, cheese, whatever. Scoop back into the rind and bake to heat through. Serve twice baked squash

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

RazorBunny posted:

Toss some angel hair in a little lemon butter, that's all you need.

Thanks!
My herb garden is up now, any fresh herbs that would go well with that lemon butter?

homerlaw fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 20, 2012

Altair X89
Jul 27, 2002
Rosemary and thyme, or a little bit of parsley.

Redleg
Jul 7, 2003

What an odd looking.....Figurine

Phummus posted:

Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in the oven until the flesh is soft. Scoop it out with a spoon and mix with bread crumbs, herbs, lardons, cheese, whatever. Scoop back into the rind and bake to heat through. Serve twice baked squash

That sounds great, I will try this tonight and give a trip report

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
How do I get some flavor or taste into this soup I call 'the blue collar soup,' It has mushrooms, carrots, potato, garbanzo and pinto beans in basic vegetable broth. I like it for some reason, but I feel this could have more flavor. What can I do?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Kurt_Cobain posted:

How do I get some flavor or taste into this soup I call 'the blue collar soup,' It has mushrooms, carrots, potato, garbanzo and pinto beans in basic vegetable broth. I like it for some reason, but I feel this could have more flavor. What can I do?

A sour flavor might freshen it up for you. Wine, some vinegar, or even just some citrus juice.

Does it have to stay vegetarian? If not, then start by cooking a little pancetta, bacon, or just throw a leftover ham bone in there. The flavor of protein makes things more delicious and "complex". Some fish stock or oil might be good too. I have a squeeze tube of anchovy paste I put in a lot of stews, soups, and sauces. It really doesn't make it taste fishy, just better somehow.
If you want it to stay veg, but want to add that kind of complexity, you could try using soy sauce or worcestershire sauce instead of salt. Even a few more "exotic" kinds of mushrooms might help it. Dried shitakes or some wild mushrooms.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Kurt_Cobain posted:

You can massage it into a sambhar of sorts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9O7_5HVSaI

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Kurt_Cobain posted:

If you like the flavor, but don't think it's enough flavor, then the simplest answer might be that you aren't seasoning it enough. Scoop out a ladle of it and add more salt then you think you should and try it. A lot of people just think sodium is bad for them, or that it covers up flavors, but it really just enhances them. Garlic salt, celery salt, and onion salt might be your bag too.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Kurt_Cobain posted:

How are you preparing it? Do you just toss the veg in a pot and cook until done? Is there sauteing, etc, going on? Any herbs or seasoning? Canned or fresh veg?

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Altair X89 posted:

Rosemary and thyme, or a little bit of parsley.

That sounds good, Thanks!

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001

EVG posted:

How are you preparing it? Do you just toss the veg in a pot and cook until done? Is there sauteing, etc, going on? Any herbs or seasoning? Canned or fresh veg?
Sometimes I will fry the shrooms, but this is real basic just tossing it all in. Only the beans are canned. I have stayed away from adding my own salt because I figured the broth had enough already. No herbs or seasoning because I don't know what to use.

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head
No onions and garlic?

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
Never really enjoyed garlic and I seriously hate onions. They have ruined many meals for me.

Now you might understand why this is so basic: picky eater.

Terrormisu
Mar 28, 2007

Will you sign my copy?
Cooking for friends tonight and I need to know the best way to prepare a 20oz top sirloin steak. I don't have access to a grill. Thanks!

yrletter
Aug 5, 2005
where the circle ends
Does anyone have any slaw recommendations to go with a pulled pork shoulder I'll be smoking off? Looking for something with a bit of a twist rather than the run of the mill. Thanks!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Very Strange Things posted:

If you want it to stay veg, but want to add that kind of complexity, you could try using soy sauce or worcestershire sauce instead of salt. Even a few more "exotic" kinds of mushrooms might help it. Dried shitakes or some wild mushrooms.

worcestershire sauce isnt vegetarian

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You should also add a bit of lemon juice or vinegar to your soup. I'd use white wine or rice vinegar. The acidity will wake up a lot of flavors.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

yrletter posted:

Does anyone have any slaw recommendations to go with a pulled pork shoulder I'll be smoking off? Looking for something with a bit of a twist rather than the run of the mill. Thanks!

Try an asian/vinegar style slaw instead of a creamy mayo based.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Terrormisu posted:

Cooking for friends tonight and I need to know the best way to prepare a 20oz top sirloin steak. I don't have access to a grill. Thanks!

Do you have a big cast iron pan?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

PokeJoe posted:

Or, if not, do you like your steak really REALLY rare?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I guess I have a question too, I'm brining some wild boar steaks and don't know how to cool them. Grill? Bake? Also what would a good side be?

Terrormisu
Mar 28, 2007

Will you sign my copy?

PokeJoe posted:

I only have non stick, I know, I know. Can this be done in the oven/broiler?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Terrormisu posted:

Cast iron skillet, roaring hot. Clarified butter. Salt and herbes de provence on the steak. Cook to 135F, pull and rest for 1/3 of the cooking time. Slice on a bias and brush with melted butter. Extra points for smashing a garlic clove and letting it steep in the warm melted butter. Extra extra points for finishing with sel gris or maldon.

Edit: derp, yeah you can do broiler. I'd still do salt and herbes de provence. Coat it with clarified butter and stick it under the broiler as close as you can manage. Watch it with a flashlight if lighting is inadequate.

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Never really enjoyed garlic and I seriously hate onions. They have ruined many meals for me.

Now you might understand why this is so basic: picky eater.

So basically you're asking for suggestions of how to add flavor without adding anything interesting?

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 21, 2012

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
Anything beyond garlic and onions? Salt - check.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Kurt_Cobain posted:

GrAviTy84 posted:

You can massage it into a sambhar of sorts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9O7_5HVSaI

Edit: vvvvvv :stare: :munch: The first thing I saw was the bottle of kraft salad dressing and I knew I was in for a good time, little did I know that that good time also included the gut wrenching sounds of a knife on a glass cutting board.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 21, 2012

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
Please be serious Gravity, this is obviously a better choice and more authentic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOKQANeqvrE

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Buy a couple cans of crushed tomatoes and throw those in. That should help bring something much more flavorful to your boring soup.

Wotan posted:

Please be serious Gravity, this is obviously a better choice and more authentic.
:downs: I LIKE THE CLICKING SOUND WHEN HE CUTS

Hahah nice knife there "Chef". This video is awesome.

CuddleChunks fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 21, 2012

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I like that he sped the video up while slicing the zucchini to make his knife skills seem competent.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

:aaa: Okay, I'm hooked. I've watched four or five videos of our dear friend Chef Merlin and he really is magic. Hahaha wow.

Everyone reading this thread - we're here to help.

Chef Merlin means well but he takes shortcuts, misses basic flavor pairings, has horrible tools and techniques and basically cooks like an IT guy who should stick to managing servers rather than wrecking up a kitchen.

Still he's a step up from where many people begin their cooking careers and he was brave enough to put his godawful recipes up for public criticism. For that alone I salute him. Now, let us show you how to avoid his grim fate by picking quality, fresh ingredients and preparing them using tools and techniques that will leave you with flavorful dishes that are diametrically opposite his gummy messes.

There's the bar, with only a little effort we can do so much better.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Wotan posted:

This dude has the saddest kitchen ever. It's smaller than my dick, has an electric range, not even a garbage can.

Gonna watch the rest of his videos and become a master chef.

edit: This reminds me of an awesome show on the public access around here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ifkSljfthA

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 21, 2012

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I'm working on my baguette shaping and it's a bit...lacking. I got one good one out of this last batch, and the rest either burst along the bottom seam, unfurling the seam and looking ugly, or burst along the sides instead of out of the cuts on the top. I gave them to some friends so I don't have any pictures, and they did taste great, but I can't get them to come out right appearance-wise. Any diagnosis of what I'm doing wrong, or do I just need more practice?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
The lamb leg ended up nice enough. I ended up stuffing it with two garlics blended together with lemon zest and rosemary and then roasting it for about two hours on 130 or so degrees and finishing it off under the grill for some colour. The it gort to rest while I made the risotto. It ended up nice and jucy, although next time I'll probably take it out at about 57 degrees instead of 61 like now. I like it a bit more red than it endedd up. Thanks for the input Wiggles.

Today it has served as nice sandwich filling.

Next time I'll, obviously, use the following method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUaTnSw6LBA

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 21, 2012

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone have any tips for deodorizing a smelly refrigerator? I just moved into a new apartment and the fridge is clean but smelly. My filtered water pitcher is absorbing the smell/flavor and is quite nasty.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone have any tips for deodorizing a smelly refrigerator? I just moved into a new apartment and the fridge is clean but smelly. My filtered water pitcher is absorbing the smell/flavor and is quite nasty.

Baking soda and vinegar. It's good for more than just teeth.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
I want to start buying good knives for my kitchen, one at a time. Where do I start? What's a good all-around size? I've heard good things about Global and have tried them over at my parent's house. I feel like they come from another universe, using some weird plasma-cutting technology, but I'm kinda new to this cooking deal.

Would this do for my first one? http://www.amazon.ca/Global-Knives-Cooks-Knife-13/dp/B00005OL3S/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_4

Not too expensive and medium sized. I've heard bad things (on SA) about water sharpeners, but Global recommends using them. My parents use one and their knives always feel sharp. What's the deal?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

internet inc posted:

I want to start buying good knives for my kitchen, one at a time. Where do I start? What's a good all-around size? I've heard good things about Global and have tried them over at my parent's house. I feel like they come from another universe, using some weird plasma-cutting technology, but I'm kinda new to this cooking deal.

Would this do for my first one? http://www.amazon.ca/Global-Knives-Cooks-Knife-13/dp/B00005OL3S/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_4

Not too expensive and medium sized. I've heard bad things (on SA) about water sharpeners, but Global recommends using them. My parents use one and their knives always feel sharp. What's the deal?

Personally, I don't care for Globals, but if you like your parents' then go for it.
That knife is 130 mm, and is quite short for a main knife. I would go at least 210 mm, Gyuto shape. I like 240 mm myself but some prefer up to 270 mm.

What is a water sharpener? Do you mean a whetstone? I think they get a bad rap because people don't know how to use them properly, but they are superb if you know what you're doing.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

GrAviTy84 posted:

Personally, I don't care for Globals, but if you like your parents' then go for it.
That knife is 130 mm, and is quite short for a main knife. I would go at least 210 mm, Gyuto shape. I like 240 mm myself but some prefer up to 270 mm.

What is a water sharpener? Do you mean a whetstone? I think they get a bad rap because people don't know how to use them properly, but they are superb if you know what you're doing.

Sorry, I meant something like this.

http://www.amazon.ca/Global-Knives-Minosharp-Stage-Sharpener/dp/B000WZFBOS/ref=pd_bxgy_k_img_b

I vaguely remember someone recommending a DVD on how to sharpen knives that came along with a sharpening tool of some kind.

Also, yeah, I like my parents', but it's not like I've tried many quality knives. What's your personal favorite?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Your best bet is to research a little then go to the store and ask to try some out. Get a feel for how they work in your hand... even the most expensive knife, if uncomfortable to use, will stay in the drawer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

internet inc posted:

Sorry, I meant something like this.

http://www.amazon.ca/Global-Knives-Minosharp-Stage-Sharpener/dp/B000WZFBOS/ref=pd_bxgy_k_img_b

I vaguely remember someone recommending a DVD on how to sharpen knives that came along with a sharpening tool of some kind.

Also, yeah, I like my parents', but it's not like I've tried many quality knives. What's your personal favorite?

Oh yeah those sharpeners are awful. Only use those if you hate your knives.

I have this and I love it http://www.chefknivestogo.com/bester1200.html

As Hed said, you should try a few to find ones that you like. Hunting down Japanese knives to try might be kind of hard though.

My personal chef's knife is a 240 mm Gekko Gyuto. In hindsight, I would have gotten a Moritaka Aogami instead, but the Gekko is great. When you go to try out knives pay attention to how it feels in hand. Before you go, think about your chopping style. Are you a rocker or a chopper? Certain knife geometries lend themselves better to certain types of knife users.