Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Casu Marzu posted:

So you don't want a greasy sandwich but you're gonna mix bacon grease with mayo and slather it on the top and bottom?

Also mozzarella is gonna be overpowered by your other flavors. I would do a more pungent cheese. Also, mustard.

You're right - I'll probably stick to normal mayo or really cut back on how much bacon grease to use.

Do you have a suggestion for cheese?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

You're right - I'll probably stick to normal mayo or really cut back on how much bacon grease to use.

Do you have a suggestion for cheese?

If you actually want to TASTE it, blue cheese. Or sharp cheddar. You're going to need a lot of strongly flavored cheese to be able to taste it among everything else in there.

Also, what Casu said - mustard. Strong, and lots of it! That sounds like such a rich sandwich that you'll need something tangy to cut it so it doesn't sit like a brick in your stomach.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I think the one that showed up in the Guardian a few eyars ago is the source of the recent spate of interest:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gallery/2010/apr/07/how-to-make-shooters-sandwich

I've had this version a few times and it is gorgeous - I can't honestly see bacon, sausages, mozzarella, spinach and mayonnaise doing anything besides making it kind of a soggy mish-mash.

Also you need mustard. Lots of good (dijon) mustard.

edit: horseradish sauce might be good too?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

And yeah, less is more when it comes to sandwiches. Don't pile poo poo on there like a fuckin nerdy rear end sperglord. Think about the ingredients and be able to say why you're adding each ingredient and what it adds to the overall sandwich. Don't be one of those "lol add bacon man" people.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

The Midniter posted:

If you actually want to TASTE it, blue cheese. Or sharp cheddar. You're going to need a lot of strongly flavored cheese to be able to taste it among everything else in there.

Also, what Casu said - mustard. Strong, and lots of it! That sounds like such a rich sandwich that you'll need something tangy to cut it so it doesn't sit like a brick in your stomach.

Thanks! We'll probably go with sharp cheddar and we'll definitely add mustard to the list. I'm thinking layer of mayo on the bottom and mustard on top then?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Pookah posted:

I think the one that showed up in the Guardian a few eyars ago is the source of the recent spate of interest:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gallery/2010/apr/07/how-to-make-shooters-sandwich

I've had this version a few times and it is gorgeous - I can't honestly see bacon, sausages, mozzarella, spinach and mayonnaise doing anything besides making it kind of a soggy mish-mash.

Also you need mustard. Lots of good (dijon) mustard.

edit: horseradish sauce might be good too?

Casu Marzu posted:

And yeah, less is more when it comes to sandwiches. Don't pile poo poo on there like a fuckin nerdy rear end sperglord. Think about the ingredients and be able to say why you're adding each ingredient and what it adds to the overall sandwich. Don't be one of those "lol add bacon man" people.

Good points! We have been too enamored with the whole "lol wacky internet sandwich" pictures to realize how silly it all really is by adding all those ingredients.

Revised list:

Dijon Mustard
Mushrooms + Shallots + Garlic (I have a bunch of garlic!)
Onions (Caramelized)
Sharp Cheddar (Maybe.)
Ribeyes

Bacon...maybe. The whole bacon thing really came from reading this : http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/07/ultimate-bacon-cheeseburger-food-lab.html but I'm not so sure it'll be very good in this setting.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bacon would be kind of nice to add that smoky saltiness. Limp bacon is also kinda sad. I would maybe grill the ribeyes on hardwood to get some smokiness into the meat and go from there unless you really want good bacon.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Bacon is way over-exposed now, but it's still actually tasty and bacon on a sandwich can still be a good thing. Not on every sandwich, mind, but I'll be damned if internet memes and a Denny's menu is going to take that away from me.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

A few weeks-months back someone posted this Sangria recipe in this thread that was just great. I'd love to make it again, but I can't seem to find it in the thread. I think I remember specific amounts the recipe called for if that helps, 1 oz simple syrup, 1 750ml bottle of red wine. It was sooo good - any help from someone who has plat? :allears:

I don't know what specific recipe you are looking for, but this is hands down the best sangria ever, and I will fight to the death anyone who says otherwise. :colbert:
From "The Barbecue Bible" by Steve Raichlen (The very best book that every single person should own. Go buy it right now. RIGHT NOW.)

Servings: It depends....
Ingredients

1 bottle red wine (Dry, not expensive)
1 cup cognac
1 cup gin (I like to use bombay sapphire)
1 cup super fine sugar (regular works if you don't have it)
1-3 cinnamon sticks
1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 lemon
1 orange

Preparation
Combine the wine, gin, cognac and 1 cup sugar in pitcher and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Cut the peel, including the white pith, off of the lemon and orange and cut out the individual sections of fruit. Dice into small pieces. (Make supremes of the citrus.)

Stir the diced fruit, fruit juices, and cinnamon sticks into the wine mixture.

Make it a few hours in advance and let it sit and steep in the fridge. The cinnamon flavor will get in there, and the heat from the liquor will mellow. It is potent stuff, and if you want to slow down the drunk, you can pour it with some white soda or club soda in individual glasses. Serve over ice. You can also be creative and add additional fruit of your choosing. Lime, mango and pineapple are also super tasty.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

ChetReckless posted:

Bacon is way over-exposed now, but it's still actually tasty and bacon on a sandwich can still be a good thing. Not on every sandwich, mind, but I'll be damned if internet memes and a Denny's menu is going to take that away from me.

You can thank Epic Mealtime for that. :(

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I tried making a sandwich with sausage and it just didn't work, when the sausage cooled the fat congealed and it the texture wasn't great. I will say use horseradish, it, carmalized onions, and grilled peppers and made it worth eating despite the cold sausage.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Slifter posted:

I tried making a sandwich with sausage and it just didn't work, when the sausage cooled the fat congealed and it the texture wasn't great. I will say use horseradish, it, carmalized onions, and grilled peppers and made it worth eating despite the cold sausage.

That's why sausage sandwiches need to be eaten with HOT sausages, and a bread/roll/baguette etc. that will stand up to it and not go limp and soggy. Something nice and crusty with lots of butter, mustard and onions.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Slifter posted:

If you want to serve it cold, you could try using a cured sausage instead of a fresh cooked sausage.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
If I did it again it would probably just not use sausage, I feel like a lot of what makes the shooter sandwich good stems from putting hot meat into the bread before you press it.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Bacon...maybe. The whole bacon thing really came from reading this : http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/07/ultimate-bacon-cheeseburger-food-lab.html but I'm not so sure it'll be very good in this setting.

Make up a batch of bacon, and enjoy some bacon, avocado, and tomato sandwiches while you wait for the shooter sandwiches to squish.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I have a lot of carrots. Recommendations for best carrot cake recipe?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Shnooks posted:

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Tomato-Carrot-Spice-Cake-AllRecipes-40028?columns=4&position=2%2F10 this is really good, its like a spice cake and carrot cake mixed in one.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Condensed tomato soup? What the gently caress?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Going to smoke some pork tenderloins tomorrow. Someone suggested applesauce as a side. I've never made applesauce before, but it seems pretty simple...

Problem is, there's a million various recipes and I don't ever eat applesauce so gently caress me if I know which to pick (I'm probably overthinking this because I'm sure any of them would be great). Anyone have a preferred/favorite applesauce recipe?

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

AlistairCookie posted:

I don't know what specific recipe you are looking for, but this is hands down the best sangria ever, and I will fight to the death anyone who says otherwise. :colbert:
From "The Barbecue Bible" by Steve Raichlen (The very best book that every single person should own. Go buy it right now. RIGHT NOW.)

Servings: It depends....
Ingredients

1 bottle red wine (Dry, not expensive)
1 cup cognac
1 cup gin (I like to use bombay sapphire)
1 cup super fine sugar (regular works if you don't have it)
1-3 cinnamon sticks
1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 lemon
1 orange

Preparation
Combine the wine, gin, cognac and 1 cup sugar in pitcher and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Cut the peel, including the white pith, off of the lemon and orange and cut out the individual sections of fruit. Dice into small pieces. (Make supremes of the citrus.)

Stir the diced fruit, fruit juices, and cinnamon sticks into the wine mixture.

Make it a few hours in advance and let it sit and steep in the fridge. The cinnamon flavor will get in there, and the heat from the liquor will mellow. It is potent stuff, and if you want to slow down the drunk, you can pour it with some white soda or club soda in individual glasses. Serve over ice. You can also be creative and add additional fruit of your choosing. Lime, mango and pineapple are also super tasty.

Well, I know what I'm making this weekend. Thanks heaps!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Some friends and I are planning to create a shooter sandwich this weekend for fun.

It's silly and kind of dumb but I still want it to taste good and have some fun doing it with friends.

Here the ingredients I was thinking about going with for the filling with some questions attached:

Ribeye - Maybe 2 cooked to medium rare. A lot of these sandwich uses a steak but it may be too tough - thoughts?

Bacon - Bacon weaved to get the most bacon per bite.

Sausages - Not sure what kind of sausage yet. Should we cook it and leave it whole or cook it and slice it? I imagine slicing it would get a good even distribution of the sausages.

Mushrooms + Garlic - I'm thinking about chopping it and sauteing it.

Cheese - Possibly Mozzarella? I don't want a greasy sandwich so Mozzarella seems like a safe low oil bet to keep the grease level down. I don't know my cheeses too well though, any suggestions?

Mayo + Bacon Grease - We'll just mix mayo with the bacon grease to taste.

Onions - Caramelized in a crock pot prior to adding.

Spinach - I'm thinking we pack it in raw. I thought about sauteing them but I'm afraid the moisture would get the sandwich pretty soaked.

This is what I'm thinking when it comes to layering the sandwich. Starting from top to bottom:

Bacon Mayo
Bacon
Onion
Cheese
Sausages
Mushroom + Garlic
Rib-eyes
Spinach
Bacon Mayo

Any suggestions/tips/additions/complaints?

Good God man. I never wondered what the opposite of a Dagwood is, but now I know.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I looked up what a dagwood is and then I found this.

:barf:

Edit: I bet this came up before, but here's "The Gallery of Regrettable Food" http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 5, 2013

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Drink and Fight posted:

Condensed tomato soup? What the gently caress?

It's really good, tomato soup cake tastes like spice cake!

Edit:
If I want to make a vegetarian shooter, what sort of veggies would go in it?

I was thinking: Bell peppers, onions, Mushrooms, yellow squash, zucchini, sharp cheddar, is there anything else that could go into that, or alternatives?

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 5, 2013

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Choadmaster posted:

Going to smoke some pork tenderloins tomorrow. Someone suggested applesauce as a side. I've never made applesauce before, but it seems pretty simple...

Problem is, there's a million various recipes and I don't ever eat applesauce so gently caress me if I know which to pick (I'm probably overthinking this because I'm sure any of them would be great). Anyone have a preferred/favorite applesauce recipe?
I usually grab a couple tart apples and a sweetish one, coarse chop them (discarding the core and seeds), put them in a stockpot with, I dunno, an ounce or two of water and a dash of cinnamon. Cook over a medium-low heat with a partially ajar lid until the apples are fork tender, then put them through the coarse disc of a food mill.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I have a shrimp question.

Before this week I'd eaten shrimp maybe half a dozen times in my life, but I got an urge to make scampi so I bought a pound of de-veined seabugs and some noodles and made it. It came out really well, but I was wondering about the shells on the shrimp. They're a pain in the rear end to get off once they're cooked (required two buttery hands, unless I'm missing some easy technique) and I didn't think to peel them before cooking. Is peeling them pre-heat the usual way to go, or is dealing with the gross shell a part of the experience? The recipe I followed made no mention of this issue.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are various ways. Generally you should cook with the shell on because then you get flavor from the shell. You can then peel them for service, or peel at the table. Preference matter there. You can peel before cooking if you want but I wouldn't do it unless it's in some application where you're not going to be able to get the shell off later or the shell is in the way.

They're easy to peel with practice. Detach the first two pieces of the shell, peel mostly off, then grab the shrimp and pinch the tail as you pull gently and it will usually slip right out. Sometimes they get stuck but usually they'll come out.

When I make pasta with shrimp I either shell them and sear (since the shell would prevent getting a crust, this is one of those times when peeling the raw shrimp is best), or I poach them in the shell then take the shell off before I toss them in with the pasta.

The shell is harder to remove if they're overcooked and it's really easy to overcook a shrimp, so that's a thing too. If you poach you want them in 170 F water for maybe five minutes, for searing I usually do about a minute then toss in the pasta when I turn off the heat. For a soup, put them in when you kill the heat and let the heat already in the soup cook them.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 5, 2013

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
If you do peel before you cook, save the shells. They're full of flavor. Use them in whatever sauce you're making, or freeze them for later.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tendales posted:

If you do peel before you cook, save the shells. They're full of flavor. Use them in whatever sauce you're making, or freeze them for later.

Yeah, shrimp shells make good seafood stock. It usually ends up really brown because of the pigments in the shells (I assume) but it tastes great. It's my staple for gumbo.

You can also bread and deep fry the heads, they're amazing.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Thanks. I did notice the sauce picked up a lot of the pinkness and flavor, good to know where that is coming from. I think when I get a yen for shrimp again I'll just cook em shell on and then peel once they've cooled just a tiny bit. Also I reheated the leftovers and noticed it was tougher to peel those guys, so doing it right away makes sense.

e: my dudes were already mostly prepped, but if I ever get some with their noggins I will try that!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Senior Scarybagels posted:

It's really good, tomato soup cake tastes like spice cake!

Edit:
If I want to make a vegetarian shooter, what sort of veggies would go in it?

I was thinking: Bell peppers, onions, Mushrooms, yellow squash, zucchini, sharp cheddar, is there anything else that could go into that, or alternatives?

Use some sort of bean terrine as a spread, basically anything that would go on an antipasto place + something to hold it together would be good.

I'd try duxelle, bean terrine, onions, large seared muchrooms, roasted red peppers/zucchini, pickled hot pepper, a good cheddar, and probably some finely diced and browned sweet potato.

So uh I guess basically what you said but with beans and maybe tomatoes in some way.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Use some sort of bean terrine as a spread, basically anything that would go on an antipasto place + something to hold it together would be good.

I'd try duxelle, bean terrine, onions, large seared muchrooms, roasted red peppers/zucchini, pickled hot pepper, a good cheddar, and probably some finely diced and browned sweet potato.

So uh I guess basically what you said but with beans and maybe tomatoes in some way.

I would have thought that putting tomatoes in it for 6+ hours would cause the bread to get soggy?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Shnooks posted:

I like Smitten Kitchen's as well as Joy of Baking's carrot cakes.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I would have thought that putting tomatoes in it for 6+ hours would cause the bread to get soggy?

Cook them out so you have an umami-filled tomato sauce-type thing, and put it somewhere in the middle of the sandwich where it touches things that don't mind if they get wet.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Roast em low and slow until they get tacky and chewy, or get a jar of sun dried tomatoes and add those.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Cook them out so you have an umami-filled tomato sauce-type thing, and put it somewhere in the middle of the sandwich where it touches things that don't mind if they get wet.

Casu Marzu posted:

Roast em low and slow until they get tacky and chewy, or get a jar of sun dried tomatoes and add those.

Awesome! I will try these suggestions thanks!

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
i wish to know the true secrets of muffins and banana bread

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
For the former mix them less than you think you need to, for the latter make sure they bananas are at least heavily spotted before using.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fo3 posted:

Haven't you said before that you're a cook in a commercial kitchen?
The chicken I cook is used the same day. I haven't had any formal training in the kitchen, just learn as I go.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tendales posted:

This. I always use my shells for stock. Also because if you don't dispose of raw shrimp shells immediately your house will smell like 7 flavors of hell overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also buy your shrimps with the heads on if that's an option. The heads make the best stock. Then use that stock for Paul Prudhomme's bbq shrimp.