Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008

FoxTerrier posted:

Three Guys from Miami are legit, but some of their recipes are weird to me (sup Cubano). I don't use cinnamon at all and doing so sounds vaguely sacrilegious.

Pound of ground beef, a quarter of a green bell pepper chopped, fresh chopped garlic, a bay leaf, some cumin, some kosher salt, some oregano, half a sweet onion choppe, some chopped olives, some sultanas.

Sautee the veg in olive oil in one pan, brown the grown beef in another. When veg is softened and meat is browned, add together. Then throw in tomato sauce and dry cooking sherry (vino seco). Put in your spices. Let it simmer for awhile. After the tomato sauce boils down, add some more, then let it simmer again. Repeat again if you want a really strong tomato flavor (if you want the strong flavor, you may use about one large tin or glass bottle of sauce. If not, you may use as little as half that. Rega is a good brand). Throw in your sultanas (or raisins) and chopped olives when you're ready, let it simmer a while longer until the sultanas plump. Bam. Picadillo. Remove the bay leaf, stuff it in some empenada dough and fry em up. Do amounts to taste. Message me if you have any questions.

My recipe is also from the Oriente. Only the part of the provence that knows how to cook, because yeah, cinnamon and allspice is friggin weird.

Their recipe for tres leches is killer tho.

TL/DR: I have no idea how to rescue what you have, but there's a recipe to try it again with next time.

edited because I keep remembering steps

Honestly I'm down with the allspice, it gives it that "meat but in a dessert-y kind of way" flavor that I always loved about pastelitos. But two whole teaspoons of cinnamon is just nonsense. My mom suggested a little balsamic vinegar might counteract it. I don't think BV would completely destroy the flavor profile if used judiciously...

My abuela is from Oriente but we can never get recipes out of her, she always says "I don't remember!" or "I don't know how much to use, I just make it up!" I'm worried she'll die without passing on her tamales recipe, which would be an actual crime :( Your picadillo sounds a lot like my mother's. I like her empanadas but today I was looking to recreate the sweeter, simpler bakery treats of my youth. I'm trying to get back "in touch" with a little of my lost Cubanness mostly through duolingo and food. I have a crockpot vaca frita recipe that looks promising for next week...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Justice
Jul 15, 2007
Hot Justice just sounds better
This weekend I went to a churrascaria and we ate an order of broiled short ribs. I had always thought that short ribs had to be cooked low and slow, but the word "broiled" makes me think these were cooked pretty quickly. My question is, if I bought some short ribs and didn't want to cook them for 10 hours, how would I make them? Side question: can I cook short ribs in a cast iron pan at a very high heat like I would any other steak?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Tendales posted:

Save some of the cooking liquid, and stir it in a little bit at a time after frying if you want a softer texture.

Eeyo posted:

I usually spoon out beans from the beany liquid into hot fat and mash them in the pan with the closest mashing implement. I always reserve the bean cooking liquid to add back in during/at the end to control the consistency. If you cook your beans in sufficient liquid you can achieve any texture you'd like. Usually I do an initial coarse mashing with a potato masher, then go in with a fork or a finer masher while it's cooking down and add back in the bean liquid to keep it the consistency I want.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Earlier tonight I cooked a pot of pinto beans, then used a slotted spoon to get them in the skillet a bit at a time, frying them in bacon grease and mashing them semi-smooth with a potato masher. Then I stirred in some bean liquid at the end and hit the whole thing with an immersion blender to get it smooth and creamy. I still want to play with seasonings a bit but overall they came out pretty pro.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
So I made some beer-cheese soup the other week. It turned out tasty, but there was a slightly bitter after-taste to it. I used the following recipe:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/cheddar-beer-soup-231641

For the beer I used Fat Tire.

I wanted broccoli, so I added that to it at the step right before the flour is added. My alternative thought was to blanche it and then add it towards the end just to warm it through, but I decided that was too much work...

So the question is, is the beer causing the bitterness or is it something else? The recipe kind of says to include the beer with the rest of the liquid, but the vessel I measured the other stuff in wasn't large enough to hold all the beer, so I dumped the beer first and followed quickly with the rest of the liquid. I'm wondering if leading with the beer for this step caused it to burn and turn bitter.

But I also wonder if it was the broccoli that turned bitter. It didn't seem overcooked in the final product, but I know that broccoli can make things bitter if misapplied, and since I added it so early I figured that may have contributed to the bitterness. But looking around at other broccoli cheese soup recipes, they seem to have the broccoli added pretty early, so I'm not sure this is the cause.

The reason I suspect the beer is because I make Alton Brown's Chili recipe using Fat Tire to deglaze after browning the meat, and there's usually a slight hint of bitterness in the final product. There's so much else going on that it's subtle, but it is there. His recipe does include chipotle peppers, but I always remove the seeds specifically to avoid bitterness.

The only other thing I can think of is that I cooked the bacon to crispy...but it wasn't burnt, so I don't think this is the cause. Plus it's added at the end so I don't think it could have made the whole soup bitter even if it was burnt.

If it is the beer causing this, what is the characteristic that I need to change? Fat Tire is pretty malty, so I'm wondering if that's the culprit...it is my understanding that darker beers with heavily toasted malts can turn bitter easily during cooking. But while it's malty, Fat Tire isn't all that dark, so I'm not so sure. I'm wide open to recommendations for flavorful beers that won't go bitter during cooking...preferably something available year-round, but I suspect spring seasonals might be good for cooking with.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Fat tire is pretty hoppy for cooking, actually. Unless you're making something where bitterness will play well, any beer that's not a lager, porter, stout, or scotch ale is going to end up being too much.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Usually with beer recipes you actually don't want an outstanding beer; cooking is the best application of lovely beer. It seems like it's actually the opposite of cooking with wine where I've seen people insist that you need to use at least a decent wine or you'll get noticeably bad results.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

h_double posted:

Can I get some tips on making refried beans from scratch?

I've been experimenting with them, soaking pinto beans overnight, cooking them down for a few hours, then frying them in lard with a little milk. The flavor is terrific and I've had great success using them in quesadillas and torta sandwiches. My issue is the beans ended up kind of dense and chunky, they are not well suited for dipping or for mixing with rice.

I've seen contradictory advice about how to prepare the beans after initially cooking them. Last time I used an immersion blender to turn the beans to paste before frying them, I've seen other sources that recommend mashing the beans into paste with a wooden spoon as you fry them.

What's the best technology for smoother/creamier beans? Any other tips?
Never tried adding milk.

We usually get the big jar, cook, mash with a potato masher, and mix in either a little bacon + grease or some chorizo. A couple roasted+diced serranos or jalepenos is great too.

If they are too thick just add water. You could try chicken broth just watch the salt.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Scott Justice posted:

This weekend I went to a churrascaria and we ate an order of broiled short ribs. I had always thought that short ribs had to be cooked low and slow, but the word "broiled" makes me think these were cooked pretty quickly. My question is, if I bought some short ribs and didn't want to cook them for 10 hours, how would I make them? Side question: can I cook short ribs in a cast iron pan at a very high heat like I would any other steak?

You can sear them and then braise them or you can braise them and then broil them, but they do need some kind of slow cook (braise) in my opinion.

Braising is just medium-slow cooking in liquid. If I had a few pounds of short ribs right now I'd probably:
- salt them heavily and let them get near room temperature
- wipe some salt off and pat them dry
- turn the oven on to 325
- sear them on all sides on the range in a cast iron
- lay them out on a big piece of heavy foil
- cover them in mustard, hot sauce, brown sugar, black pepper (or whatever flavor you're going for)
- cook some chopped onion and throw that on them
- fold up the foil a little so you can dump some liquid in there: some wine, some stock, maybe some fruit juice –enough to cover them when you seal it up
- cinch the package up pretty tight and put it in the oven for a couple hours; maybe flip it over halfway through
put it in a baking pan or something if you're worried about spillage
- check it and, if they seem pretty done then pour off the liquid into a sauce pan and cook it down and brown them up in the broiler

If you have a dutch oven or even a good heavy, lidded pot that can go in the oven then you don't need to mess with the foil. You can also then just take the lid off near the end and let the sauce reduce and the ribs brown.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Fat tire is pretty hoppy for cooking, actually. Unless you're making something where bitterness will play well, any beer that's not a lager, porter, stout, or scotch ale is going to end up being too much.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Usually with beer recipes you actually don't want an outstanding beer; cooking is the best application of lovely beer. It seems like it's actually the opposite of cooking with wine where I've seen people insist that you need to use at least a decent wine or you'll get noticeably bad results.

Huh, I guess I never considered Fat Tire to be too hoppy for anything. I was mainly trying to avoid anything too weak, since it seems pointless to cook with beer if you're not going to get any flavor out of it. I am a big fan of scotch ale, though, so I'll give that a shot next time. Thanks!

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

Huh, I guess I never considered Fat Tire to be too hoppy for anything. I was mainly trying to avoid anything too weak, since it seems pointless to cook with beer if you're not going to get any flavor out of it. I am a big fan of scotch ale, though, so I'll give that a shot next time. Thanks!

I honestly think that Scotch Ale is a bad idea too. In something like beer cheese soup, you want something light with only minimal flavor. Scotch Ale will make it way too sweet, and may still have the bitter flavor you got with the Fat Tire, depending on which Scotch Ale you use. If you insist on using a non macro brew, aim for a pilsner or a very light lager. Victory's Prima Pils might be a little hoppy, but it's a good place to start. Most Czech lagers would be good as well. Sam Adams Boston Lager might be the best compromise, as it will provide real flavor but not a flavor so assertive as to take over the soup.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Nicol Bolas posted:

I honestly think that Scotch Ale is a bad idea too. In something like beer cheese soup, you want something light with only minimal flavor. Scotch Ale will make it way too sweet, and may still have the bitter flavor you got with the Fat Tire, depending on which Scotch Ale you use. If you insist on using a non macro brew, aim for a pilsner or a very light lager. Victory's Prima Pils might be a little hoppy, but it's a good place to start. Most Czech lagers would be good as well. Sam Adams Boston Lager might be the best compromise, as it will provide real flavor but not a flavor so assertive as to take over the soup.

That's a good point, I never thought of Sam Adams...that might be the best choice. Something I can still drink the rest of the 6-pack. I guess I'm not insisting on using a non-macro brew, I just want a beer that will impart some of its own flavors and not be horrible to drink.

What about wheat beers? I'm thinking Oberon or Snapshot. Not sure they will fit with the cheese soup or the chili, but I don't see them as strongly flavored beers so I was thinking they might work.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Scott Justice posted:

If you look a few posts above yours, I asked the same thing.

I cooked some short ribs like you would a steak and it turned out loving fabulously. Salt, pepper, let it get to basically room temp and put it in cast iron. I happened to not use oil and it developed a very good crust.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Cross-posting from the food photo thread:

Invisible Ted posted:

Gyoza'd.
Filling is carrot, onion, cabbage, garlic, ginger, seasame oil, chili paste and chorizo (didn't have any other protein around and needed to use it). Seasoned with soy and rice wine vinegar. Any tips to improve my gyoza filling? The dough is stupid easy, especially with my pasta roller, plus I actually kinda like making it.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

That's a good point, I never thought of Sam Adams...that might be the best choice. Something I can still drink the rest of the 6-pack. I guess I'm not insisting on using a non-macro brew, I just want a beer that will impart some of its own flavors and not be horrible to drink.

What about wheat beers? I'm thinking Oberon or Snapshot. Not sure they will fit with the cheese soup or the chili, but I don't see them as strongly flavored beers so I was thinking they might work.

A wheat beer would also probably do just fine, but again, it's one of those things--why waste good beer on soup when mediocre and bad beer accomplish the same effect? If you can't buy 12oz singles at your liquor store, why not just get a tallboy or a bomber or something that comes in a smaller number of total fluid ounces and freeze the leftover amount for cooking later? Or just get a 6 of crap in cans and use it only for cooking. It's not like it'll go bad--it's in a can, and it's alcoholic. Bottles are a little more finicky on storage, you'd want to keep them out of light, but they'll still keep for years. And that way when you want to beer batter something, you've got something on hand to throw into it.

Edit: and I guarantee you have at least one friend who will drink one of them at some point.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Beer and wine you use for cooking should be good enough to drink by themselves though.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Beer and wine you use for cooking should be good enough to drink by themselves though.

Making beer brats with anything but pissy canned beer is an affront to nature :colbert:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Making beer brats with anything but pissy canned beer is an affront to nature :colbert:

But making beer brats with Black Butte Porter is god's gift to man...

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Does anyone have a good and easy recipe for fish-head soup?

I have never made soup before on my own before.

I have a bunch of frozen fish heads from Northern pikes that i have fished throughout the year. I've saved the heads but have not attempted anything with them yet. And the one thing i hear fish heads are good for are giving flavour to soup.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I'm sorry, but I really think that's a bullshit rule intended to make people spend more on cooking wine than they need to. I don't cook with the heavily salted cooking wine they sell in the grocery store, but I'm not going to cook with any bottle that costs more than $5 for 750ml. Unless you're reducing the whole bottle of whatever to make a sauce, or making something else where the primary flavor is the booze, it's a waste. Two buck chuck is just fine for my chicken gravy and my red sauce, and beer cheese soup is intended to be made with crappy beer.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Nicol Bolas posted:

I'm sorry, but I really think that's a bullshit rule intended to make people spend more on cooking wine than they need to. I don't cook with the heavily salted cooking wine they sell in the grocery store, but I'm not going to cook with any bottle that costs more than $5 for 750ml. Unless you're reducing the whole bottle of whatever to make a sauce, or making something else where the primary flavor is the booze, it's a waste. Two buck chuck is just fine for my chicken gravy and my red sauce, and beer cheese soup is intended to be made with crappy beer.

I think it depends on your definition of 'drinkable'. Two buck chuck is fine for chicken gravy, red sauce, and for a lot of people it's fine for drinking. Wine from a box/bag is another story.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I think it depends on your definition of 'drinkable'. Two buck chuck is fine for chicken gravy, red sauce, and for a lot of people it's fine for drinking. Wine from a box/bag is another story.

There are pretty passable box wines these days, noticeably better than two buck chuck at any rate. I wouldn't really serve them personally, but they do just fine for cooking.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Nicol Bolas posted:

There are plenty of wines below $5 that I would drink. Good enough to drink means good enough to drink. Not expensive. Or the other way round: if you would rather toss away a wine before drinking it, you shouldn't use it for cooking either.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Hauki posted:

There are pretty passable box wines these days, noticeably better than two buck chuck at any rate. I wouldn't really serve them personally, but they do just fine for cooking.

Box wine is a fine table wine but I wouldn't say I would pair it with a halfway decent dinner

It's also probably fine for cooking.

IMO when people say "don't cook with wine you wouldn't drink" they mean don't use a truly atrocious wine or grocerystore "cooking wine (with salt added)" because that's just a god drat shame in a bottle.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

There are plenty of wines below $5 that I would drink. Good enough to drink means good enough to drink. Not expensive. Or the other way round: if you would rather toss away a wine before drinking it, you shouldn't use it for cooking either.

That's fair. I just get blind with rage whenever someone is like "here's a specific $20 bottle you should buy for coq au vin" or whatever. It's coq au vin! It's full of flavors that will overwhelm any subtleties in that wine that made it worth $20!

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people take that rule to mean "you have to cook with the $20 bottle" if they don't want to drink two buck chuck. I don't drink two buck chuck but I sure as hell cook with it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yeah, I've been keeping bota box around for a while now for cooking and it's plenty good to grab glasses of.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yeah, I've been keeping bota box around for a while now for cooking and it's plenty good to grab glasses of.

Bota is one of the more passable box wines.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How long does a box wine stay good after you open it?

franco
Jan 3, 2003
They usually say about 6 weeks once "opened".

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Nicol Bolas posted:

That's fair. I just get blind with rage whenever someone is like "here's a specific $20 bottle you should buy for coq au vin" or whatever. It's coq au vin! It's full of flavors that will overwhelm any subtleties in that wine that made it worth $20!

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people take that rule to mean "you have to cook with the $20 bottle" if they don't want to drink two buck chuck. I don't drink two buck chuck but I sure as hell cook with it.

I see your earlier point, but I guess I'm on the side of buying something drinkable, rather than clutter up my fridge/pantry with stuff that I'm not going to touch except to cook with. I don't mind pouring $1.50 worth of beer into a batch of soup that will make several servings, especially when that means I have 5 more bottles of good beer. I'm not reaching for a $15 cask aged Belgian quad or something.

Most of the recipes I use beer/wine to cook with only call for a small amount (1-2 cups of wine or 1 bottle of beer), so it's either drink the rest or toss it. I don't think I'd ever waste a $20 bottle of wine on cooking unless I'm REALLY trying to impress someone, but that's probably because I'm not a wine drinker...I keep a few random $10-$15 bottles around for in case they're needed for cooking/guests, and that's about it. If I know I'm going to be cooking, I'll specifically grab something around the $10 level.

Also, I can't get Grainbelt Premium where I am, so my standby cheap beer is unavailable to me.

In the end, I'm just trying to make sure I don't poo poo up my food by pouring the wrong beer in to it, which is what I have been doing with Fat Tire it seems. Just trying not to repeat that mistake.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When grilling onions in a skillet with a thicker vegetable (potatoes, brussel sprouts, etc.) how can I get a nice sear on the onion without burning them or making them too soggy? Not enough oil burns the onions and doesn't give the other veggies time to cook, adding more oil just makes the onions absorb everything in the pan and go limp, adding the onions in later doesn't give them that nice crunchy char that I'm looking for. Advice?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

When grilling onions in a skillet with a thicker vegetable (potatoes, brussel sprouts, etc.) how can I get a nice sear on the onion without burning them or making them too soggy? Not enough oil burns the onions and doesn't give the other veggies time to cook, adding more oil just makes the onions absorb everything in the pan and go limp, adding the onions in later doesn't give them that nice crunchy char that I'm looking for. Advice?

Onions get crunchy?

If you want different textures, cook them in separate batches and add them together later. Cook your vegbits first and set them aside, and then cook the gently caress out of your onions to whatever degree you want them then add the veg/roots back in.

Or, while you're cooking the vegthings in one pan, cook your onions in another pan alongside them.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 10, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I thought that in double blind tests even wine experts could not tell the difference between a $5 bottle and a $100+ one?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I thought that in double blind tests even wine experts could not tell the difference between a $5 bottle and a $100+ one?

Yeah pretty much.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Can I substitute neufchatel instead of cream cheese in a cookie recipe?

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Shnooks posted:

Can I substitute neufchatel instead of cream cheese in a cookie recipe?
Yep. They're basically the same only Neufchatel has 1/3-less fat. French Neufchatel has a rind, but you could just remove that. The American stuff is sold right next to the cream cheese and they are nearly impossible to tell apart. I use Neufchatel 99% of the time.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Well my local coop had bota box wine on sale for $20 so I bought a box of pinot noir. I'm no wine expert but it's not too bad. Now I can alternate my nightly drink between wine and beer! Truly, the pinnacle of modern society.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
How much wine is in a box? 1/12th hogshead?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Like 3.75L or something?

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
I found a 5 quart KitchenAid tilt-head mixer stainless steel bowl the other day at Goodwill, picked it up and it cleaned up really nicely with some Bar Keeper's Friend. I'd like to sell it on Amazon or eBay for some $$, but I want to make sure that I list it correctly, which is difficult given that there are like 5 different bowl models... does anyone know how to correctly identify these stainless steel bowls? There are absolutely no markings on the bowl aside from Made in Korea on the handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I thawed some vacuum sealed frozen fish in the refrigerator but forgot about it. They've been thawed for about 5 days now. Are they still good to use?