Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Admiral Joeslop posted:

good "sausage" gravy?

This is not something that exists.

Make venison burgers, making sure to grind some fatty pork or bacon into the mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

The Bananana posted:

Ok, so, I thawed the turkey in the fridge over a few days. It's seasoned, sealed in foil, and I'm sticking it in the oven, on low heat, for about 6 hours or so. I'm looking for a reassessment of the outcome. Or am I still going to end up with a "dry lovely turkey"?

Edit: 14lb turkey, 250° F

Trip Report:

It actually came out alright. Just a *touch* on the dry side, but that's cause j fell asleep and let it cook for 8 hours instead of 6 or 7.

The Bananana fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 29, 2015

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have completely hosed up a sponge cake (the tray wasn't sufficiently greased, so although it's delicious, it's broken into pieces). Is there anything good I can make with some torn up sponge cake?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Cake chunks lend themselves to layers, so perhaps some kind of parfait?

Or maybe the top layer for some kind of pie, like a crumble topping.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Scientastic posted:

I have completely hosed up a sponge cake (the tray wasn't sufficiently greased, so although it's delicious, it's broken into pieces). Is there anything good I can make with some torn up sponge cake?

Maybe a bread pudding?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Scientastic posted:

Trifle?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Yeah throw some ice cream/custard/pudding and berries on top of them, bam! Problem solved

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Parfait, trifle, shove whole fragments into mouth by hand. Anything really.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Make frosting and glass candy with sprinkles in it and plate it like an avant garde birthday dessert

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Scientastic posted:

My fiancée makes a blueberry pecan pie that calls for cake crumbs in the bottom of the pie (inside the crust), where it soaks up the fruit juice. I think it calls for lemon and/or orange juice as well but really anything in there will work.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Trifle it is! I have all the ingredients to hand, too, so it's perfect.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

chaos rhames posted:

Just made some Kimchi and some black beans. Do they mix?

e: assume I'm not worried about craps from hell

Truly, there's only one way to find out!

But I'd be slightly tempted to make a 'burrito' with kimchi, rice, and beans. But then I'm prone to doing weird things so my instincts might not be trusted.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
It's Christmas time, and that means new toys.

4 years ago I bought what I thought was a nice set of WMF kitchen knives. They are probably great quality German stainless steel knives, and it's thanks to my mistreatment of them that they're in such disrepair. I spent probably 20 minutes with an extra coarse sharpening stone trying to get dings and gouges out of the blade, but to no avail. Thanks to dishwashing this and all our other knives, dings and gouges mar the 8'' chef knife, and rust pocks even the hardly used Japanese style Deba knife.

This brings me to my question: what are the essential kitchen knives? I don't need a meat cleaver, or a boning knife. I simply need a good 8'' chef knife, and I'd like to get 4 - 6 GOOD steak knives. Without lovely serrations that make sharpening impossible and cleaning difficult.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

4 years ago I bought what I thought was a nice set of WMF kitchen knives. They are probably great quality German stainless steel knives, and it's thanks to my mistreatment of them that they're in such disrepair. I spent probably 20 minutes with an extra coarse sharpening stone trying to get dings and gouges out of the blade, but to no avail. Thanks to dishwashing this and all our other knives, dings and gouges mar the 8'' chef knife, and rust pocks even the hardly used Japanese style Deba knife.

This brings me to my question: what are the essential kitchen knives? I don't need a meat cleaver, or a boning knife. I simply need a good 8'' chef knife, and I'd like to get 4 - 6 GOOD steak knives. Without lovely serrations that make sharpening impossible and cleaning difficult.

I'm not 100% sure I know what you're asking. It seems like the question you asked is one you already know the answer to. You can ask more specific questions in the knife thread if you want, but basically the essentials are a chef's knife and a paring knife. If you just want to get something cheap and very serviceable, the Victorinox Fibrox series are what you want. Add a cheap hone and you're set for under $50.

Chef's knife - $28
Paring knife - $8
Ceramic hone - $10

Steak knives you can probably buy whatever. I took a quick look but didn't see many cheap nonserrated ones that I recognized the brand on; I would think serrated is the standard. Hopefully someone else will have another recommendation. And, um, stop dishwashing your knives.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

You can try a knife shop, they'll have machines that can grind way faster than your stone and can get the dings out for cheaper than buying a new knife.

If you want new knives, you want the cheapest good ones? Victorinox chef knife and paring. Less cheap but nice looking? Get a Tojiro dp gyuto and petty.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

How often does one need to sharpen a steak knife? It seems like they wouldn't be going through a hell of a lot of wear and tear.

A chef knife, sure, that's going through a lot. But steak knives cut tender, cooked meat every now and then.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

You can try a knife shop, they'll have machines that can grind way faster than your stone and can get the dings out for cheaper than buying a new knife.

If you want new knives, you want the cheapest good ones? Victorinox chef knife and paring. Less cheap but nice looking? Get a Tojiro dp gyuto and petty.

We don't have a knife shop around here.

I'm looking for good quality knives that won't break the bank. A chef's knife and a paring knife, and a hone I guess, for ~$100. I would prefor good function over pretty form, so the Victorinox might be my best bet.

I just wonder after the steel quality in the Victorinox knives.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Judging by how you took care of your last knives "steel quality" isn't something you need to spend a lot of time worrying about.

Victorinox makes nice products. I have a fancy chef's knife but the rest of my knives (bread, slicing, boning, paring, etc) are Victorinox.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

We don't have a knife shop around here.

I'm looking for good quality knives that won't break the bank. A chef's knife and a paring knife, and a hone I guess, for ~$100. I would prefor good function over pretty form, so the Victorinox might be my best bet.

I just wonder after the steel quality in the Victorinox knives.

Tojiro is also a good alternative. I like mine a little better than my Victorinox 10" chefs. 10" just ended up being a little bit too big for my counter height / arm length.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Victorinox is fine but if your budget is $100, go for the Tojiro gyuto and petty, they look way nicer.

Brawnfire posted:

How often does one need to sharpen a steak knife? It seems like they wouldn't be going through a hell of a lot of wear and tear.

A chef knife, sure, that's going through a lot. But steak knives cut tender, cooked meat every now and then.

You're cutting on stone or glass plates, which will probably dull your knives faster in one meal than a month of cutting on plastic or wooden boards. This is why serrated steak knives are not actually a bad idea for most people.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Chemmy posted:

Judging by how you took care of your last knives "steel quality" isn't something you need to spend a lot of time worrying about.

Victorinox makes nice products. I have a fancy chef's knife but the rest of my knives (bread, slicing, boning, paring, etc) are Victorinox.

Well I learned my lesson. Don't dishwasher your knives. Now that I know better, I'm looking to get some good quality knives that i can take care of. I'm going to end up gutting my knife block though. Getting rid of the hosed up chef, paring, and deba knives will leave only a 6'' bread knife, that I believe is also hosed up. Hey going to get a new one of those too! :dance:

Should I not store knives in a wooden knife block?

I'm going to stop over thinking it. Going to order the Victorinox 8'' chef and paring knives tomorrow.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 30, 2015

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Should I not store knives in a wooden knife block?

Knife blocks are stupid for a lot of reasons. Get a magnet bar, a victorinox chef's, bread, and paring knife, and keep your steak knives in a drawer. Just my opinion. I'm sure someone will follow up singing the praises of their countertop-hogging, dust-packed, greasy farberware eyesore. But where would I put my shears?! (A: in a drawer)

Fake edit: good job on ordering the victorinoxes

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Knife blocks house bacteria and moisture and most people put their knives into them sharp side down so they're just resting on the blade. Ever cleaned the inside of your wooden knife block? Yeah.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Both good points I had *never* considered. It means spending more money, but I guess it's well and good for my new aspect in my adult life; 'buying poo poo to last.'

Do I need that $50 MagBlock listed a few posts up? It seems expensive for a magnet I screw into the wall.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You can get much cheaper metal ones from ikea. I would also cover it with extra heavy duty clear packing tape to discourage rust and scratching your knives.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Can't wait for tomorrow morning, because I'm ordering these three knives. I'll be pairing them with a nice new home on this magnetic bar , and keeping them honed with that lansky ceramic honing stick.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Just a note: when you pull knives off, twist them so the edge pulls away first, and when you put the knives on, put the spine on first. This will keep the edge from being damaged by the magnet bar.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Steve Yun posted:

Victorinox is fine but if your budget is $100, go for the Tojiro gyuto and petty, they look way nicer.

You're cutting on stone or glass plates, which will probably dull your knives faster in one meal than a month of cutting on plastic or wooden boards. This is why serrated steak knives are not actually a bad idea for most people.

Good point, I was thinking about number of cuts/variety of materials cut. but cutting boards are probably way easier on an edge.

This thread has also cemented my own person decision to get a magnet bar for my knives.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

I live in Japan, and don't have access to a decent sized oven. However, a lot of people here use microwave ovens that can pre-heat and such, and usually be used to cook stuff you'd normally need an oven for. I think they're convection microwave ovens? Maybe? It's a microwave where I can hit a button that says "oven" and then set a temperature for it to preheat to, and then I can put stuff in for like 20 minutes and it tastes good. If that's what a convection microwave oven is, then that's what I have.

My question is, can you use a pizza stone with one of these things? I know with a normal microwave it'd be kinda pointless since the pizza stone doesn't have time to get hot, but I figure it'd work ok with one of these.

aherdofpenguins fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 30, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
When you use the "oven" mode does it make the air inside hot? Microwaves only heat up water molecules, so the food gets hot but the air doesn't (other than the steam made by the food)

So, if the air gets hot that means it can be used as a traditional oven.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

When you use the "oven" mode does it make the air inside hot? Microwaves only heat up water molecules, so the food gets hot but the air doesn't (other than the steam made by the food)

So, if the air gets hot that means it can be used as a traditional oven.

It certainly does, so that means I can use a pizza stone?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

aherdofpenguins posted:

My question is, can you use a pizza stone with one of these things? I know with a normal microwave it'd be kinda pointless since the pizza stone doesn't have time to get hot, but I figure it'd work ok with one of these.

You can't preheat a microwave, so it must be a combi-oven. A pizza stone should be fine, you just need to make sure that it's not so big it prevents the turntable from going round. When I had one, I found it would heat the air very unevenly, and without the turntable you can end up with half the thing burned while the other half is still under.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Gerblyn posted:

You can't preheat a microwave, so it must be a combi-oven. A pizza stone should be fine, you just need to make sure that it's not so big it prevents the turntable from going round. When I had one, I found it would heat the air very unevenly, and without the turntable you can end up with half the thing burned while the other half is still under.

Ahh alright, so gotta measure the inside of my microwave before investing, got it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have a wooden knife block, and my knives don't rest on their blades when their in it. And if you're really concerned about dirt, you could wipe the blades before using them.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Y'all also know that wood is naturally antibacterial, right?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

psychokitty posted:

Y'all also know that wood is naturally antibacterial, right?

How else can I take my pretense to the next level if I don't use a magnetic strip to hold my knives?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Store your knives in a knife roll like I do

:smug: :chef:

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
Can anyone help me decide on what attachment(s) I need to get for making pasta with my kitchenaid stand mixer. There seem to be A LOT... is there one or two must haves? Trying to get this as a gift for my wife.

edit: VVV Thanks!

703 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 1, 2015

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

703 posted:

Can anyone help me decide on what attachment(s) I need to get for making pasta with my kitchenaid stand mixer. There seem to be A LOT... is there one or two must haves? Trying to get this as a gift for my wife.

I say the base flat one, the spaghetti one, and the linguine one would be must-haves. Anything else, you can cut with a knife or roller. And I say this because this is exactly what I want Mr. Kitty to get my for christmukkah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Any advice on where to get a Kitchenaid Stand Mixer serviced in Chicago, without driving 2 hours out of the city or shipping it back to Kitchenaid?

I've contacted nearly a dozen appliance repair places, none of them offer servicing on stand mixers and no one can tell me who to go to.

It's not even broken, just squeaking and needs to be re-greased - I just want to give someone money to do it for me. Is that so much to ask? Are small appliances so disposable nowadays that we just can't get them fixed?