Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Me and the girlfriend went out to an Italian restaurant near Marietta, GA tonight. Before we went, I made fun of all of the people who wanted the 'white and red sauce mixed together' on their generic pasta dish using a really bad deep south accent.

At the restaurant, the special included a "rosatella" sauce, which turned out to be Alfredo sauce mixed with Marinara. In disbelief, I looked it up when I got home and only found results within the north Georgia area.

Here is the menu where we found it, under 'Cannelloni Genovese' near the bottom: http://www.scalinis.com/Spaghetti%20Classica.htm

Google searching Rosatella sauce turned up results in Kennesaw, GA, Canton, GA and Marietta, GA. Is this actually an Italian thing or am I right for making fun of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I got a duck! I don't know how to make duck. I know how to roast a chicken, and I know I'm supposed to poke the duck all over and save all of its fat for delicious french fries and such. I read all over the internet and they said that it takes a couple hours in the oven for all of the fat to render out - how do you keep the meat juicy? Any recommendations for cooking times/temps/spices? I have roughly a four pound duck.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
There was a fairly recent ICSA with a really good looking cream of mushroom soup recipe, but I completely forgot which ICSA and which poster it was. I tried searching, but I couldn't find anything. Does anybody remember what I'm talking about?

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I want to make duck breast prosciutto but I live in an apartment without a garage or basement. Every source tells me I should let it hang at around 50-60 degrees, but there's nowhere in the apartment that stays around that temperature. Can I let it hang in the fridge? will it take longer? What about at room temp? But that sounds like a bad idea?

Does anybody know what to do or have any ideas?

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I got some big lamb steaks. It looks like it comes from the leg, there's a huge bone in the middle full of marrow. I hear marrow is all sorts of tasty but I've never had it or tried to cook it. I've also never cooked lamb.

Do I just cook this like a normal cow steak, say, medium rare? Is there any way to enjoy both a tasty steak and the marrow in the bone? I hear marrow is supposed to be broiled or some such, my crappy apartment broiler doesn't work but I do have a blowtorch.

Help me, what do I do?

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I've been recently playing around with making bread and I just made my best bread yet, with a really wet dough that I tried my best to knead for the duration of a Simpsons episode. I tried kneading it on a floured surface with floured hands, but it stuck to my fingers and my pastry rolling sheet thing and, while it did become slightly more manageable after 20 odd minutes of working, it never unstuck itself from anything. I used 355 grams of King Arthur bread flour and 284 grams of water, a packet of yeast and some pinches of salt.

I baked the bread in my dutch oven and it came out perfectly, super crispy crust with a really really soft inside. I want to make this bread again and again and again. I just want to be able to knead it into some semblance of manageability. I admit that I was somewhat stingy with the flouring of my hands and my kneading surface, but that was for two reasons. First, I always wind up working a huge pile of flour into my dough and wind up with a nigh inedible breadrock, and second my hands were so messy just after touching this dough I couldn't stick my hand back into the flour container.

What can I do to make this dough actually workable, but still wind up with an extremely soft, not too dense crumb? For what it's worth, my crumb looks about like the 70% hydration example on this site: http://www.artisanbakers.com/crumb.html

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

paraquat posted:

What's the advantage of this spyderco sharpmaker to an ordinary honing steel?

The sharpmaker is used for sharpening knives, rather than honing them. It's a completely foolproof way to take the dullest knife and make it shaving sharp in just a few minutes, and it doesn't completely destroy your blade like one of those drag through a V sharpeners.

If the stones seem like they're dulling and you run them through the dishwasher regularly, try rubbing them together to rough them back up a little bit. He recommends in the DVD that you do it when you first get them, maybe it'll help when they're all gunked up.

e:f,b.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

JuanGoat posted:

I know this has already been posted in that one thread where everyone was clowning on Mark Bittman's chicken butchering skills, but I can't find it because I'm slow. So, does anyone have a good video tutorial for butchering a chicken? Alternatively, if you know which thread I'm thinking of, can you please post a link to the page?

I don't have a link to the Bittman page but here's a pretty good video of how to disassemble a chicken with Gordon Ramsay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEJSHRSJCn8

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Hed posted:

If Ramsay cutting everything up off the board gives you any pause, here's Alton Brown demonstrating piecing a chicken: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iODAToI6_-o#t=0m45s

edit2: Ok after watching the full Ramsay video that is awesome. I'm going to have to try that and although I have the same chef's knife as Ramsay I'm a little scared to do the wishbone and drumstick chopping--I'll have to give it a try.

There are a lot of things that bother me about that Alton Brown video - try to do it without cutting towards your hands! I don't understand why he does the wings the way he does, either. That's the best part of doing your own chickens, every five to ten chickens, it's hot wing night!

I've done the Ramsay method a whole pile of times and I've never chipped my knife, which is a pretty good Henckels. Chicken bones are tiny and hollow. If you're really that scared, just use a cleaver for that part.

Also what I like to do is remove the wishbone with a paring knife just by cutting around it and pulling before I go about disassembling the chicken, rather than slicing through it like Ramsay does. The same method makes carving roast chickens easier, and I just like to stay consistent. But hey, it's your chicken, do whatever you want!

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Hed posted:

He's leaving the winglet on to do airline breasts. The whole show was really about grilling so shifting the winglet to be on the breast rather than attached to the drumette allows the tiny wing to be cooked more evenly with his method.

Also you're absolutely right about the chicken bones, I'll try it and thanks for your paring trick too.

I get that he's doing airline breasts, I just posit that airline breasts are for chumps who don't get hot wings. But that's the beauty of the whole mess, I do what I want and he does what he wants and you do whatever you want (as long as you don't bother with airline breasts).

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I want to make a shrimp ceviche. Most of the recipes I see call for pre-cooking the shrimp, but I always thought the lime juice took care of that. They say it is because the citrus technically cooks the shrimp, it doesn't kill any bacteria. Is this really a big deal if I'm using shrimp from a pretty reliable source? Do I really have to pre-cook them? I just sort of naturally assume people say to pre cook them because internet lawyers, but I don't want food poisoning.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

The Dregs posted:

Anyone have a good recipe for baked beans that would be edible tomorrow evening if I started it around 10:00am?

Bring dried navy beans to a boil, then put in a 275 degree oven for about an hour and a half. Follow with any garden variety baked beans recipe. Bacon, molasses, onions, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire, etc. You don't even have to start it at 10 am, the boiling and oven technique will restore any dried beans pretty quickly.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Cooking wine will last more or less indefinitely, right? I want to start trying some chinese takeout analogues so I wanted to get some shaoxing wine, but the only one I could find was a cooking wine with salt added. I figured as I'm trying to make what tastes like takeout, an inexpensive salty wine wouldn't necessarily be the death of the dish.

The only problem is that my beef with broccoli recipe calls for a couple tablespoons, and I have a whole bottle. Given the salt and alcohol content, this stuff is more or less shelf stable, right? Should I refrigerate it after I open it? Does this stuff have a shelf life?

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I really like to do a chicken ballotine/galantine/I can never remember which is which. Chicken deboned and stuffed and rolled and roasted. Mostly I love just how unnecessary it is, and it makes me feel like a total pro taking all of the bones out of the chicken and leaving the whole skin and meat intact. I have decided, though, that I really don't like the parts of the skin that get rolled up on the inside and turn all pathetic and rubbery. Am I doing it wrong? Is that just an unfortunate side effect, or is there a way to maybe detach the skin and roll it all around, or maybe cut off what would ordinarily overlap?

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Leper Residue posted:

So I tried making chicken stock yesterday. I stuck it in the fridge over night, and I just pulled it out to make chicken soup with and it's chicken jello. I'm assuming it's not supposed to be like that?

It is absolutely supposed to be like that. It means you did a good job!

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Enter Char posted:

What are some good things to do with venison? My neighbor just gave me 2 lbs of ground and a 1 pound roast, and I have no idea what to do with it.

A lot of people add fatty beef to ground venison to make for better burgers, as it tends to be extraordinarily lean on its own. Also, what Wiggles said.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
If you don't have a pizza stone it's alright, roll the dough out as thin as you can and cook it at the hottest temperature your oven will go.

I did a little research into Pizza some months ago and frankly it's as complicated as you want to make it. Judging by the pizza you posted, and I mean no offense, but you have nowhere to go but up. Hotter oven, thinner crust, practice makes perfect. Don't feel discouraged if your first few wind up as lessons well learned instead of tasty dinners. Be brave, let it sit in there until it gets some color on top. Let it go brown, let some small parts of cheese start to turn black. If your oven has a light, great, if not, set a timer and keep your eye on it, but don't open the door too often.

You'll have great pizza in no time. Be sure to post pics of any progress you make, I'm still trying to figure out some things myself.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

bunnielab posted:

Has there ever been a mexican/central american cuisine thread?

If not someone should really start one. I will mail a small box full of chilis, hibiscus flowers, and a Virgen de Guadalupe candle to whomever makes a good OP. I am quickly becoming obsessed with it to the point of trying to learn spanish just to make ordering and shopping easire and I would love to get some recipes and info from you guys.

I was playing around with the archives some time ago and I came across this one from hell and gone back in the day. It's totally worth a read, it seemed to me to be as authentic as it gets. Obviously, you have to have archives to read it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1642678&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
My girlfriend just bought most of a shark. It's been decapitated and eviscerated.

It's a small shark, maybe a foot and a half long. Looks like a mud shark, but I'm no ichthyologist.

Any advice for preparing it or any bona fide shark recipes? I plan to skin it, and to either filet it or cut it into steaks, but beyond that I've got no idea what to do.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I got some 90/10 ground bison and some enormous marrow bones on super discount. I want to use them in concert to approximate this recipe:

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/02/the-burger-lab-presenting-the-flood-burger.html?ref=search

My line of thinking is that the marrow will contribute moisture and flavor to an otherwise dry ground buffalo patty. Are my instincts off here? Do you guys have any other good ideas?

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Turkeybone posted:

Hello old friends,

So I'm flying out to Boulder for a weekend right before Thanksgiving. I've never stepped foot in Colorado before. Where should I eat? I'll have transportation and such.

The long pig out in boulder is pretty good. Free range, sustainable and usually fed an organic diet.

Best part is, most of it comes already smoked. Might be difficult to find a place that serves it, though.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's a good and pleasant looking website/iPhone app that tells me which veggies are in season?

I run a produce department, and an app called 'specialty produce' has saved my rear end more than a few times. It has just about every fruit and vegetable and includes when they're in season, what they taste like and has a few basic recipes and preparations.

I don't think you can sort by what is in season at any given time, but it is super helpful when the warehouse pushes out something esoteric like kohlrabi or cherimoya. Maybe it'll help you?

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I bought a copper frying pan at tj maxx and I'm terrified to use it. It passed the usual tests- thicker than a nickel, cast iron handle and so forth, but when i started to read about how to use it i got super intimidated. I guess it's mostly the lining that scares me? What should i cook in it? Can i use it for something straightforward like frying some chicken breasts, or some eggs? Besides not using a metal spatula and keeping the heat low, how do i keep the tin lining intact?

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
As a thank you for babysitting, my girlfriend and I were given a bunch of frozen steaks! Good ones! We got four strips and six filets, the filets all at least 2" thick, I think they're USDA choice. I made two of the filets today. Salt/pepper, sear, 500 degree oven, pulled em at 130, finished with a little butter in the pan.

They were so loving boring! We usually buy ribeyes because of the fat and the flavor. These were super tender, sure, but the taste was utterly unremarkable and it made me sad.

Is there anything cool and or interesting we can do with these? I was toying with the idea of doing little wellingtons, but if you guys have any ideas I'd really love an excuse not to have to gently caress with duxelles and puff pastry on a weeknight

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

hooah posted:

I looked back a few pages (went into last Fall), and couldn't find a grilling thread, so I'll ask here.

I'm about to give up on charcoal grilling altogether. It seems the drat thing will never get above ~300°F, measured by the thermometer on the lid (I know that's not the same as the temperature at the grate, but it's still nowhere near 500° for burgers). I'm using lump charcoal that I store on my deck in a Rubbermaid bin. I put it into the charcoal chimney, and dump it onto the grate when I start to see fire coming out (after, of course, re-starting the drat stuff, but that's another complaint).

Help, goons. What magic step(s) am I missing?

Don't dump it out when you see fire coming out, dump it out when you see that the coals are starting to ash over gray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Beachcomber posted:

Could honey be safely stored in a car? My wife likes to dip chicken but the packets don't taste very honey-y.

Honey can be safely stored anywhere, forever