Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I add at least a dash of cayenne to any cream sauce. Also, crack a fuckton of fresh black pepper into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Jewel Repetition posted:

My potatoes don't really come out too sticky or gummy though, it's more like they've got a bunch of little fine particles in them.

They probably need to be cooked longer - it’s okay if they fall apart some. Also, let them steam off for a while after you drain them. The drier the potatoes, the more fat they will soak up. You may also just not have a fine enough masher.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Huge baby. You’re cooking for yourself and you’re a healthy 20 something, you’ll be pretty resilient.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

surf rock posted:

Hey all, I have two different questions:

1.) I've been learning how to cook steak and really enjoying it. How should I go about preserving steak?

So far, I've just been buying them one at a time from the grocery story, keeping it in the fridge, and cooking it within a day or two. What I would like to do is go to a butcher and get four or five steaks at a time. How can I freeze and thaw steaks effectively so I can make fewer trips to the grocery store?

2.) I'm trying to keep a nice selection of liquor in my home for friends and guests, but I'm not a drinker. What should I buy?

Right now, I have Jack Daniel's whisky, Tito's vodka, Tanqueray No. 10 gin, and Bacardi Gold rum. I also keep some bottles of Bell's Two Hearted Ale IPA and Guinness Extra Stout around since folks seem to enjoy those.

The main gap I think I need to fill is wine. I'd like to get two or three likely crowdpleasers there. I'd also like to get a tequila, a brandy, maybe two more types of whiskey since those are so popular (I'm thinking Laphroaig for one of them since I bought that for a buddy's bachelor party and people LOVED it), and maybe a third beer.

My main criteria here are:

1.) How long will it last? Does any kind of booze go bad?
2.) Price (I'm not looking to spend more than $75 on any particular bottle, ideally it would be at or below $50)
3.) Popularity (it doesn't have to be like the Bud Light of liquor or whatever, but hopefully everything I have would have at least a reasonable shot of being appealing to the average drinker of X kind of liquor)

Any advice? Thank you!

On booze, no, it won’t go bad if it’s unopened. An opened bottle of wine is only good for a day or two, though. There’s no reason whatsoever to spend more than $50 on a handle (1.5 L) of booze if you’re not at least a minor enthusiast. Pretty much anything in the grocery store liquor section that isn’t the cheapest thing in a plastic bottle will be recognizable and most drinkers will think it’s fine.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

Good call, didn't think about a Hefe but those are a great change of pace from the bitter and/or heavier stuff.

Personally, wheat beer is my go-to for about 6-8 months of the year. Easy to drink, doesn’t have the high IBU’s that turn some drinkers off, still some complexity compared to a mass-market lager.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

sterster posted:

So I made some quick pickles if I killed the whole jar in a day or 2 could I just make more with the same brine?

Yeah

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Frozen banana goes great in smoothies for texture, sweetness, and bulk.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Make mark bittman’s twice cooked pork tenderloin, it’s delicious and easy and impressive. I know other goons in this thread also endorse it. I’d post the link but I’m lazy and you may be able to find it by checking my posts in this thread.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Captainsalami posted:

How long in an instant pot do you guys think it would take to reduce sweet potatoes to mash? Or should I just bake em

If all you want is mush, microwave them.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Heners_UK posted:

I've got myself two whole chickens. I'm going to straight up roast one in a cast iron pan at 425-450F with lemon and garlic to give a traditional roast chicken. The question/recipe/inspiration request is for the other is something other than straight up roasting it (not outright opposed to using roasting as the cooking method, but more interesting that just a second roast chicken).

I’m pretty sure I saw a chef John video where he poached a chicken whole for soup. Might be good for the last gasp of winter. I’ve also made a Peruvian chicken with a delicious, bright green cilantro pepper sauce, although that’s a roasted preparation.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Paperhouse posted:

I just got a rice cooker, I've never used one before and all the instructions are in Vietnamese. What's the right ratio of water to jasmine rice, if I'm washing the rice beforehand? I googled it and couldn't find a definitive answer, people seem to say different things

Basically all rice takes up water in a 1:1 ratio, the extra water used in cooking should account only for evaporation, which depends on the shape of your vessel more than anything else (surface area of water really). Here’s a decent YouTube about the ratio: https://youtu.be/JOOSikanIlI

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hi General Questions Thread - is there a good recipe keeping website or app that you would recommend? I joined my company's "Well Being" committee and my idea is to have a recipe-share confluence page for the company to post their favorite and/or healthy recipes and I feel like it would be a good idea to have suggestions for where people could keep the ones they want to use/like. I use Google Keep for my own recipe storage and its...not the best, so any ideas are welcome.

Paprika is the only one i have used and can recommend. It’s pretty good.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
For some unknown reason my father has asked for a bottle of nice balsamic vinegar. He has never expressed an interest in anything more technical than French toast and I don’t know what he thinks he’s going to do with a high quality bottle of vinegar. Anyone have any recommendations? I’m thinking like $50-$75 would be reasonable.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

bartlebee posted:

I bought a baking steel a couple years ago and haven't used it much the
last year. It's rusted an little bit. Any ideas on how I should I fix it?

Scotchbrite or steel wool on the rust spot with a bit of water, then rinse away any debris. Dry thoroughly. I’m not sure if you’re supposed to season those things but it wouldn’t hurt to coat it in a very thin layer of light, neutral oil and pop it in the oven at 350*F for an hour.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, and most importantly, don’t fret about it too much. Just clean it well once and cook on it regularly.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Gluten Freeman posted:

What are some ideas for healthy and filling snacks that I can easily keep around to eat throughout the day? I need to gain weight and retrain my appetite to actually want to eat food, so my doctor suggested eating lots of little things throughout the day but I'm not sure where to start. I'm thinking things like muesli bars, but I don't just want to buy a million boxes of those, so I'm looking for recipes I can make a lot of that will keep for a while. Any ideas would be helpful just to get me thinking of things!

You could try making energy bars using dates. Lots of recipes available, there’s even a chef John video. Basically you pulverize pitted dates, add nuts, berries, etc, then form into bars. High caloric density and delicious; I bring them on camping trips.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
How long do dry rice noodles stay good for? I’ve had a pack in the pantry for over a year now, unsealed. Still good or should I replace?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Cookbook recommendation: Mark Bittman’s “How To Cook Everything Fast.” My girlfriend, who has relatively limited cooking experience, has been going pretty wild with it. Most of the recipes are simple, they offer instructions on speeding things up like slicing meat while sweating onions, etc. great beginner’s cookbook, it also includes simple variations and recommended side dishes. I’ve really enjoyed everything she’s made so far, plus it includes recipes from lots of different cuisines, big plus for me as she’s been making some things I never would have considered, like an excellent caramel stir fried beef and green beans dish tonight.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

not spending 800 bucks on a gas grill lmao

It better be enormous and 1/4 inch thick steel all over.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if my homemade fire starters from dryer lint, an egg carton, and old candle wax burn hot/long enough to get a big chimney going. I’ll try this weekend and report back.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Maybe you can add gelatin to the frosting to help its room temperature consistency. I’ve never made frosting and I’m a baking moron, so this advice might not be useful.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Can I replace milk with almond milk in a standard non buttermilk pancake recipe?

Yeah it’s completely fine and unnoticeable. I’m sure you already know this but make sure you use unsweetened unflavored almondmilk if you can.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Also I have 3 pounds of shredded chicken. What should I do with it

Buffalo chicken dip. I don’t care if it’s Midwest trashy, it’s good.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Anytime something asks for minced or pressed garlic I just grate it on a microplane. I haven’t noticed a difference in how garlic-y things taste since I started doing that.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Rinsing your chicken just sprays whatever pathogens are on it’s surface into your sink and onto the nearby countertop. It actually might kill you (more likely someone young, old, or immunocompromised).

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
You can do some kind of braised chicken, I like chicken with 40 cloves of garlic.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

Just discovered the joy of microwaved jacket potatoes. Can have a fully cooked spud in 8 minutes, and then I just crisp them up in the oven for 10 mins at 200c. Do you think I'd be able to skip the oven preheating step and just grill the potatoes directly after they cook in the microwave? I love jacket potatoes but I hated the awfully long cooking times, this fixes it. But it feels needlessly wasteful to preheat an oven to 200c just for 10 mins of crisping up. Would rather do it under a grill but not sure if it'd be good.

What makes it a jacket potato? This just sounds like a baked potato to me.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Just buy one with no obvious defects.

Put it on your counter.

Smell it once a day. If you can smell pineapple sweetness, cut it open that day.

Smell the rear end in a top hat lookin spot on the bottom, it should be very pineapple sweet.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
That just means you need a bit more water. There’s no real foolproof method to rice, and it will vary depending on the type, brand, and quantity of rice and the pot you decide to cook it in. It’s best to pick a variety of rice and a pot with a tight fitting lid and just keep trying with the same equipment until you get the water:rice ratio and time just right. Then you can just follow that method each time.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

DildenAnders posted:

I let the rice sit for like 15 minutes after the last batch and while it helped it was still crunchy. Is a crock pot a better rice cooking implement?

Absolutely not

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

totalnewbie posted:

That's so cool and interesting (though it's technically a TTT diagram). Thanks very much for this.

Time-temperature-transformation for the materials science noobs out there. The same techniques that allow gas turbine engines to exist make chocolate shiny and snappy.

Having a MatSE degree makes cooking really, really intuitive, which rules.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Cilantro pesto sounds good

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
The instant pot is great so long as you’re aware that you can take the inner pot and put it on the stove to sear, boil water, etc before using it to pressure cook in the housing. It’s slightly rounded at the bottom so liquid will tend to pool at the edges and not cover the center, but that’s not usually much of a problem unless you’re trying to minimize the amount of fat you use to sear/sauté stuff.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

I just do all the searing in my enamel dutch oven then toss in the IP to pressure cook. I find that the temp regulation and quality of the pot itself just aren't great for getting good sears etc.

I have another stovetop pressure cooker that I'll use for larger volume stuff like stock or a bigger batch of beans where I'm trying to avoid foaming. Usually when I'm doing all my cooking on Sunday I've got both pressure cookers and a sousvide all running at once.

Won’t somebody think of the fond???

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I would vacuum seal it, carry it on, then reheat it in a water bath.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

TofuDiva posted:

listen to them not me if they say this is a Not Good Idea.)

Trust me we tried

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Bluedeanie posted:

T-givs question unrelated to smoking a turkey and declaring it in customs: what's the best way to make gravy the night before in a slow cooker or instant pot using the neck, spine and giblets?

Make stock in the instant pot with the bits. Once the turkey’s finished roasting, separate the juice from the fat, use the rendered fat to make a roux, then add back stock and the reserved juices. This is what I do and it’s the best way to make gravy imo.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Discussion Quorum posted:

I need a sauce recommendation. My MIL brought a pork tenderloin for us to eat on Christmas Eve (big dinner is the next day). It's already cooked and probably not heavily seasoned -- I assume she just baked it in the oven with some herbs. If this was chicken or beef I'd go with a white wine butter sauce or red wine reduction, but I'm a sauce dummy and not really sure what to do with pork.

Option A: Make a glaze and then brush it on the pork before throwing it in a ripping hot oven right before serving, so that it can caramelize a bit. Pomegranate and/or orange, maybe?

Option B: Sear before serving and make a pan sauce. Red wine would be the preference here, I assume?

e: the bit I struck feels presumptuous, I'm sure she'd be cool with it but let's keep the sauce on the side

Slice it into thick medallions and sear on both sides hot and fast. Take them out and let them rest, add 1/2 to 1 cup water to the pan to deglaze, then half as much heavy cream and a Dijon mustard to taste, then whisk until emulsified into a sauce. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot. I’m a big fan of this method for tenderloin (although usually it’s not cooked all the way through before the slicing and searing), and I know some other in this thread have also made sauce this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So I've always wanted to try my hand at making a homemade deep dish pizza, because I've always loved it but I've also moved an eternity away from where I could get it regularly, so now my only hope is to make one for myself. Are there any decent recipes to start with that might be compatible with a springform pan, or should I just run with making a generic pizza dough and layering from there?

Lou Malnati’s will send you a frozen pie in the mail if you’re desperate.