Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
Does anyone have a good idea for a foie gras replacement? I don't have a specific recipe in mind, I'm just looking for something that isn't liver and can approximate the richness and other characteristics of it.

I tried Googling for this, but haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot

GrAviTy84 posted:

sorry, you're SOL. Foie gras is seriously unique, nothing else tastes like it, let alone something not liver... Michel Richard does a "Faux Gras" with chicken liver and a shitton of butter, but it's more of a pate or terrine, I wouldn't go cutting a slab of it for searing off or anything, especially because it's, like, 80% butter.

Yeah, that's basically what I thought, thanks for the response.

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
I want to make a mole-type sauce for dinner this weekend, and one of the ingredients in most of the recipes I've looked at is almonds. However,a friend of mine is allergic to tree nuts. I was thinking of replacing the almond with peanuts, as she is not allergic to those. Does anyone have a better idea for this?

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot

bartolimu posted:

Peanuts would be an okay substitute as long as it didn't make the mole taste weird. A lot of traditional moles (especially mole verde) use pumpkin seeds, and I'm pretty fond of them. Mexican markets sell them ("pepitas" in Spanish), as do a many regular grocery stores these days. Get the hulled ones, they should be green in color. I've seen mole recipes with peanuts as well, though, so you'd probably be okay either way.

Ooh, yeah pumpkin seeds sound better to me, thanks!

I like turtles posted:

I would also double check with your friend that peanuts specifically are OK, unless you're 100% sure on it. It's such a common allergy, especially in those with other sensitivities.
Pepita mole is awesome too

I went to college with her, so I know she's good with peanuts. She's only allergic to tree nuts. Thanks though, you can never be too careful with stuff like this!

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
You could maybe make spring rolls with them? The veggies you have there aren't super traditional, but I'm sure they'd still work really well.

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot

RazorBunny posted:

I was sure I could use up the entire bushel of peaches I picked yesterday, but after making approx. 3 liters of jam and barely making a dent in the peaches I'm wondering if I bit off more than I can chew. This is a LOT of peaches!

Make BBQ sauce with it! Peach BBQ sauce is super delicious, especially if you use bourbon in it! I don't have one handy, but there's a zillion recipes on google, I'm sure you can find one you like.

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
So let's say I wanted to make a sweet garlic custard for dessert. The basic idea I have is to incorporate some roasted garlic into a vanilla custard recipe and top it with candied slices of garlic and thyme leaves (after it comes out of the oven).

Does this sound at all appealing? Keep in mind it's 3:30am where I am, so I'm not sure if this might possibly be an OK thing or if it's just really late and I'm getting kinda dumb.

Any ideas?

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
Last night I made some lemon and pepper pasta (it turned out amazingly!), but am left with 3 large lemons without zest. I thought about making curd with them, but all the recipes call for zest. I've never made lemon curd before, so am hesitant to go zestless in that direction.

Anyone have any other ideas of what I could use these lemons for? Would making curd with them work sans-zest?

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
EDIT: ^^ THAT IS A COOL IDEA!

dino. posted:

Lemonade? It's only 3 lemons worth. OR make lemon rice. That will be awesome.

Ah, yeah thanks.

On a somewhat related note, my pasta is REALLY frail. Is it due to the thickness (thinness? see pic below) or is there maybe something I can add to the mix so it doesn't snap when I'm moving it around (carefully, I might add).

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
I made lemon curd for the first time yesterday and, while it turned out really great and delicious, after spending the night in the fridge it seems to have separated:

The white stuff at the top is kind of like mousse, super viscous. The yellow part is very runny. Both taste good, and stirring it with a spoon will bring it all back together without a problem.

My question here is whether this is a good or bad thing? It smells and tastes fine, so I'm not worried that it's gone bad.

Also, is there maybe something I could have done to prevent this separation?

For reference, here's the recipe I followed: http://americanfood.about.com/od/desserts/r/lemcurd.htm

Since this was my first time, I didn't change the recipe at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot

Casu Marzu posted:

Looks fine, sounds like maybe the butter didn't incorporate fully and that's separating out. Just mix and recombine.

Slifter posted:

That is weird, I've never seen curd do that. The only thing I can thing of is maybe you didn't quite mix it well enough? If you under whip whole eggs you can get a similar effect.

Yeah, I was thinking perhaps I didn't mix it together enough. Next time I make it I'll spend more time doing that and see what happens.