Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I have some beansprouts, broccoli, baby corn, spring onions and green beans that I need to use up in the next couple of days. Other than some form of stir fry, does anyone have any ideas of what to make them into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I have some money to buy a kitchen item but am torn between a pressure cooker, a slow cooker and a rice cooker. The rice cooker's only in there because we have a poo poo ceramic hob and it's impossible to cook rice nicely on it so we've been using boil-in-the-bag basmati. Sigh.

So which of these items would people consider to be the most versatile?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

dino. posted:

Get the Cuisinart electric pressure cooker. It does slow cooking, has a rice cooking mode, and works as a pressure cooker. Problem solved. :)

I've been looking for this and it seems to be a pretty exclusively US thing. Can anyone from the UK recommend a similar product?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Fraction posted:

So far with baking I've got a Victorian sponge cake and a chocolate cake recipe that turn out awesomely delicious. I tried my hands at some scones and while they were passable, they didn't really pop for me like my cakes have. Does anyone have a really good scone recipe?

Also, I really want to try a mint (buttercream) icing for my aforementioned chocolate cake but I can't find mint extract/essence anywhere. Does anyone know any supermarkets or something in the UK that sell it?
I've seen it in both Sainsbury's and Asda, maybe you need to go to a big one?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Fraction posted:

I've tried the ones near me, they're both big but no go. It'd be with vanilla extract and stuff in the baking aisle right?
Yeah, that's where I've always seen it! How utterly bizarre. I hope you figure it out soon. There must just be a bunch of mint-haters around you.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I went to this Thai place last time I was there, and it was pretty good and good value for money (as I recall). My opinion may be tinged because most food is better when high, but it certainly wasn't bad.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Didion posted:

Few weeks ago, I think, someone mentioned a recipe for really thick hot chocolate, but I can't remember the poster nor the post?

Don't know if this is what you were thinking of, but this was posted in the chocolate thread.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

HookShot posted:

Ugh.

I seared some steak to make a beef stew, poured in my stock, which was cloudy and smelled a bit off. I immediately dumped everything into a collander and rinsed off the meat and onions, can I still use them, or is everything ruined?

I probably would, but I am lax about the whole food safety thing.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I bought a pack of mixed chillies, but I don't know what kinds they are. According to the packet, there may be any mixture of bishop's hat, Scotch bonnet, finger, jalapeño and Hungarian hot wax chillies. I assume that's a Scotch bonnet I have there on the left, and that the three purple/green ones are the same type and that the small green one is a finger chilli... But honestly that's just speculation. Could I get a little bit of help in identifying which are which?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Appl posted:

You're green one is your common jalapeno. Before using it, slice it in half and look at the juice and seeds. If the juices are fairly clear and the seeds are a nice shade of white, your jalapeno was domestically grown in the US and will have a milder taste (use the whole pepper). If the seeds are a bit brownish and the juices are cloudy, the pepper was imported from South America and will be a bit more spicy and pungent (use about 3/4s of it).

quote:

That orange one may look like a pepper but it really isn't. The French call it du faux poivron. It is actually from the carrot family and is just an example of nature impersonating another object to protect itself. It has very little taste and no heat, but you probably wouldn't eat it because it look hot (use the whole "pepper"). You can tell the difference from a domestic Orange Pepper because it's dirtier than a normal pepper (grows underground), the stem curves the opposite direction than the curve on the pepper, and you see that hair coming off the tip? Thats the end of the root.

I'm in the UK, does this affect anything? And orange one? None of them are orange...

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Wolfy posted:

I have a pack of eggs. They say "Best by Nov 02" on the package. How long do I have to eat the rest before they try to kill me?

Drop the egg gently (and with its shell on, of course) into a glass of water. The more quickly it sinks, the fresher it is, and it's fine to eat unless it floats. You now have no need to waste another egg ever again!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
How well does cheat's fudge (i.e. the one made with condensed milk) freeze?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I've been zesting lemons for Christmas limoncello. My house smells delicious, but I now have 6 naked lemons that I need to use up. We're going to have lemon garlic chicken tonight, but does anyone else have a favourite lemon recipe? Savoury for preference, but I'll certainly look into something sweet if it sounds tasty enough.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Comstar posted:

I have just discovered the magic of stir-fry. I'm trying all these vegetables I never liked before, and with enough oil or sauce, I have found it's both very easy to make, and I like eating the vegetables afterwards!

So far I have tried Carrot, Celery, Red capsicum), Yellow capsicum, White Onion. But I am wondering what other vegetables I can/should add to go with meat strips/chunks.

This is exactly how I taught myself to like vegetables. Bean sprouts, water chestnuts and bamboo shoots are awesome and delicious, but really you can chuck anything in. Stick some cabbage in there and any Chinese leaves you can find, and as previously mentioned bok choy is lovely. Mange tout is also good, asparagus and peas as well. Stir fry is so satisfying and yummy, and you can use whatever the hell you like to flavour it. I tend to go with ginger, garlic and chilli with a splash of soy sauce. Experiment and have fun with it!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
How long will the habanero mango hot sauce keep in bottles? I assume a while with so much acid and chilli in it, but I need some storage instructions to give to people.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Sorry to repost, got lost on the last page:

Bollock Monkey posted:

How long will the habanero mango hot sauce keep in bottles? I assume a while with so much acid and chilli in it, but I need some storage instructions to give to people.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

dino. posted:

I've not had hot sauce ever go south on me. For one thing, it's got a boatload of vinegar. For another, it's got salt, and lime juice. The acid levels in that bottle are likely fairly high. Keep it in the fridge, and you should be fine. If you want to give it to people, I'd suggest getting those Ball canning jars, and sealing those suckers. That way, it'll stay for a couple of years easily.

Steve Yun posted:

I have 12 bottles of hot sauce which are two years old, all of them are still good.

I have one bottle of Dave's Insanity Sauce that's 10 years old. It's not as hot as before, flavor is a little flatter, but still good.

Awesome, just what I thought. Thanks for the reassurance!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

bringmyfishback posted:

Also, what are some good dishes for helping someone who dislikes eggs to get used to them? I know it's possible, because I hated eggs for my entire life until the age of 23, when I started having to eat them out of necessity (only vegetarian option available to me where I was living/working at the time) and I want to get my husband on board because they're cheap and a good source of protein. I was thinking tortillas espanol to start...

I also need help with this. As I recall, we had some tortilla de patata at a tapas place once which my partner... Didn't hate, but certainly didn't like that much. But that's it, he has it in his mind that he despises all forms of egg (other than when they're in something like cake, pasta etc) and even my cheesiest omelette hasn't helped so far. It's disappointing because eggs are loving brilliant.

In other news, and for no reason other than I have nobody else to say it to, we got given a rice cooker for Christmas and I used it for the first time last night and oh god, it was so good. gently caress ceramic hobs, gently caress them so hard. It was fantastic to have nice rice for the first time in well over a year. It ended up on the 'stay warm' setting for about 10 minutes though because of a timing error and the very bottom of the rice went a little bit crispy. It wasn't unpleasant, but if I have to keep the rice warm for a while at some other point then I was wondering if I should add just a splash more water to stop it from getting worse?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Assuming you mean Asian as in Indian, rather than Asian as in East Asian, get hold of some turmeric, cardamom, fenugreek, coriander and garam masala. Cinnamon is pretty handy, too.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 19, 2013

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I would like your favourite (or, hell, top 3 if you have them!) vegetarian recipe. Feel free to PM me instead of posting here, I'm just looking for tried-and-tested inspiration.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

therattle posted:

Can you be more specific? The vegan thread had some great recipes, and the "Help! I'm poor!" did too, as vegetarian food is usually cheaper.

Anything that doesn't involve fake meat, really. That's kind of why I said people are free to PM if they can - I want some stuff that people really enjoy, rather than more general suggestions if that makes sense? But I also don't want to clog up the thread.

I follow the poor thread but a lot of it seems to get pretty samey - which is understandable because it's about budgeting. However, cost isn't necessarily a consideration for me, I just want to diversify my meals a little bit and I've been asking my veggie friends for ideas but it turns out only a couple of them actually cook. I'm also pretty well-versed in the art of curry, so something a bit more novel would be appreciated. Other than that, I'm all ears (or eyes, I suppose!)

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Saint Darwin posted:

So along those lines, if they don't smell but they're slimy, I always considered them OK if a bit gross, am I still right?

I wouldn't eat any slimy meat, personally.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Capsaicin posted:

Speaking of ground meat, I wanna make spaghetti. What's the best way to cook ground meat beforehand? Before, I've always boiled noodles, then put it in the pan with meat that has only been salt/peppered before pouring in sauce.

For a weeknight dinner, I brown the meat in a frying pan and build the sauce around it - brown meat, fry off garlic, add herbs etc, add tomato and simmer for a while. I usually put the spaghetti on to cook once I've added the tomato and then mix the drained spaghetti into the meaty sauce in the frying pan before serving.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
This is a really silly question, for which I apologise, but I'm trying out my new slow cooker (having never used one before) today. I'm making a curry in it that has potato in, and I just checked on it to find the potato still hard - it feels basically raw. It's been on the low setting (the recipe said to have it on low for ~4hrs30) for a bit over three hours now and I was planning on serving in another 90 minutes or so. Will the potato cook in this time or should I stick it on high for a while? It doesn't appear to be simmering or anything, which I thought odd.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 19, 2013

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

CzarChasm posted:

It's been my experience that even on high my crock pot will get only a bare simmer when it is full of food. Since this is a curry, I'm guessing that the potatoes are in small chunks and not whole or in large pieces? If that's the case and you followed the recipe as indicated, they should soften in the time listed, but if you want to kind of push it along, you can try high.

Since it doesn't seem like you are getting a simmer right now, try tasting some of the surrounding sauce or veggies. Are they warm? You mention that this is a new slow cooker, which if everything works like it should, should be new in box, but if after 3 hours on low the food isn't even warm, there could be something else going on. Loose cord, loose switch... Possibly the thing is broken, but I'm just spitballing

I whacked it up to high for the remaining time and all seems good - hot, tasty, and the potato seems much more cooked. I guess it was one of those 'doesn't happen until it just does' situations. Thanks for responding, it's good to know that I just need to be a bit more familiar with the kit!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

dino. posted:

To cover crap tomatoes, sugar is added. Good tomatoes will have a natural sweetness, and a beautiful, rounded tartness that comes from inside. Unfortunately, they don't necessarily net the largest or heaviest tomatoes. So the crap ones that have the taste profile of a cardboard box are grown instead. And then to cover the fact that the tomatoes are utter and complete rubbish, a truckload of sugar and sometimes citric acid is added to fake the flavour.

Also, people are addicted to sugar, and packaged food is created to make you want to eat more of it. Fat, salt, and sugar are usual culprits for packaged foods. It's why you should avoid them if at all possible.

I had a pasta sauce disaster a few weeks ago that ended up in the sauce being both over-salted and way too sugary (don't ask, I am still reeling from the shame) and the similarity between what I ended up with and jarred pasta sauces was uncanny. I do not understand how some people can prefer that stuff.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I have most of a tin of coconut milk that needs using up. I've eaten far too much curry lately. Any other suggestions? Possibly for something sweet, though I don't really mind!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

zxqv8 posted:

Feed me health!

I've got a few friends who are in a similar position to you and I've made up a plan with some ideas for evening meals that shouldn't be too costly, time-consuming or complicated. It also uses up leftovers, because I know what a struggle it can be to not waste food if you're just cooking for yourself.

Just to be clear: this is all pretty basic stuff aimed at people who don't really know where to start when it comes to cooking for themselves. Feel free to play around with recipes and add your own twist! I don't mean for any of this to be patronising, I just found that when you're a bit stuck for ideas these staples seem to help introduce a bit of variety to one's diet and help develop basic cooking skills.

Spaghetti Bolognese - Ingredients:

Passata/tinned tomatoes
Minced beef
Mixed herbs (either a pre-made mix or a combination of oregano and basil)
Onion
Pasta
Garlic

Method:
Chop an onion
Heat small amount of oil in a pan
Add onion and fry until it starts to soften - about 5-10 minutes
Add mince and brown it
When mince is browned, add garlic (as much as you like, I go for a good squirt out of a tube or about 3 chopped cloves) and a good shake of herbs
Add half a carton of passata or your tinned tomatoes
Bring to simmer then put pasta on
Combine half of the spag bol with the pasta when it's done and serve!

Stir fry -

Box of veg (if available, otherwise just grab some peppers, bean sprouts, some sort of leaf - whatever, really!)
Sauce (either from a packet or make your own - here's a list of 15 basic sauces that I found from a quick Google.)
Noodles

Method:
Boil some water and add noodles - they take about 4mins
Add oil to another pan whilst noodles are cooking, heat, then add veg
Stir fry half the veg (is what it sounds like! Keep those veggies moving in the pan!) and add the sauce towards end
Add drained noodles to pan with veg in, stir fry for another minute to combine and heat up
Serve!

Baked potato to use up rest of the bolognese - add some salad to this and you're good to go! You can also stir in some chilli powder/hot sauce to make it into more of a chilli-type thing if you don't fancy bolognese again.

Method:
Wash potato then stab it many times with a knife or fork
Microwave for about 10 minutes, turning over half way through. Heat oven to 190°C while you wait.
Put potato in oven for about 20-25 minutes
When potato time is nearly over, microwave rest of bolognese
Add meat to potato and serve!

Curry -

I like this recipe for a sweet potato and chickpea curry: http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/main-courses/chickpea-and-sweet-potato-curry/

Stir fry the rest of veg and have with rice.

Method:
Stir fry veg as before with more sauce
Put on rice! You can fry the cooked rice in the veg pan to soak up the extra sauce.

Veg chilli to use up the rest of the passata/tomatoes -

Onion
Pepper
Carrot
Celery
Kidney beans
Veg stock (or could use beef for heartier flavour)
Chilli powder

Use rest of passata instead of the tomatoes in this recipe: http://vegetarian.about.com/od/maindishentreerecipes/r/EasyChili.htm

Stuffed pepper with cous cous -

Pepper
Cous cous

Method:
Make cous cous according to packet instructions (i.e. boil a kettle, add the right amount of water and wait five minutes)
Meanwhile, halve the pepper
Add cous cous to pepper, put in preheated oven (180°C) for 15mins.
You can top this with cheese to make it extra yummy!
------
Suggestions for stuff to have in:
I'm assuming you have salt and pepper
-The mixed herbs from before - always check the ethnic sections as well as the general spice section as herbs and spices are often cheaper over there (cheeky loving corporations!)
-Olive oil
-Vegetable oil
-Herbs
-Garlic

Some tupperware and/or ziploc food bags are really handy to keep in for leftovers. Most sauces freeze really well and will keep for a week in the fridge, so you could potentially make up a big batch of the basic pasta sauce (the one used for the spag bol but with no mince and the onions are optional) at the weekend and use it in various ways over the week For example, you could use some of it for pasta, some for a bolognese, some in a chilli - you just need to occasionally add a bit of extra seasoning when you reheat it.

Soups freeze really well and are usually just a case of sticking some stuff in a pot and simmering it for a while, have a look around online for some recipes!

Crunchy veg and hummus is a really good and healthy snack, and pretty cheap, too! Use carrots, celery, peppers... Anything that takes your fancy, really!

Beans on toast isn't too unhealthy as a meal, so it can certainly be an option for a lazy dinner. And various types of beans with rice is pretty healthy and incredibly cheap, too.

This is a good place of suggestions for what stuff to keep around, and has lots of good recipes. Prices won't be too wildly different for a lot of things as cheap foods in the US tend to be cheap over here. Use your brain! http://budgetbytes.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/beginners-kitchen.html

And obviously the Stone Soup cookbook. http://thestonesoup.com/blog/images/free_stonesoup_ecookbook.pdf

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 16, 2013

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Packet pasta is something I used to gently caress up because it's less intuitive than just normal pasta and it easily goes lumpy and gross, don't use it as a measure of your failings!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
If you froze them before that date then they're fine, that's what freezing is for!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
If you can follow instructions, just pick a recipe and have a go. Don't try to deviate from it or add your own twist, just follow the recipe and see how it goes. Once you've followed a bunch of recipes, you'll have some idea of the sorts of things that go together, but don't stress about it - you pick it up easily once you're not worrying over the preparation. Make sure not to rush, and to prep any ingredients before you start cooking, so chop the onion (for example) and put it to one side, mince the garlic and do the same and so on before you turn your hand to the mixing or the heating or whatever else.

A lot of people get intimidated by recipes and cooking, but there's really no need so long as you take your time and work your way up from, say, a basic pasta sauce to a simple chilli before going off and attempting flawless cheese soufflés.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

paraquat posted:

Yes, on a BURGER, we stick the same stuff, excellent....but, I'm not going to thank you for MacDonalds, dude! :-P

Is going to Manneken Pis really worth it or should I just enjoy the hilarious name from afar?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Tell me about tofu. I've eaten it exactly twice, the most recent time being the other night when I bought some of the firm stuff so I could try this recipe. I think I cut it up a bit too small, though it could just be more delicate than 'firm' implies as it fell apart quite a lot in the dish. Not a problem, but it made me realise I have no loving idea about this stuff. I hear you can get a good crust on it, and that sounds like it would be appealng, but I don't really know about any of the ways one would deal with it.

Also, how long does it last? I've got it in tupperware in the fridge and have been changing the water daily as instructed, but there's a lot for two people to get through in any reasonable time. I've read that you can freeze it - is this advisable? Does it mess with the texture or anything? And, if I freeze it, should I defrost it before cooking with it?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Thanks, guys! I am looking forward to many fun bean curd adventures.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
My American friend and I have a bit of a food exchange going on in which she sends me crazy American sweets (like Air Heads and myriad Wonka products) that I can't get over here. Historically, I've sent her a bunch of Cadbury stuff because ours is much nicer, but now I am a bit stuck for ideas. The UK seems to have very few things that America doesn't have, so I'm looking for suggestions for things where the UK version is better or where the product is relatively rare in the US. So far for this package, I've picked up a bag of mini stroopwaffels and some saffron, and I will probably grab a couple of bars of Lindt to put in there as well. I might also chuck in a couple of baggies of home-made spice mix. Any other ideas?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Those are Australian, we don't get them here. But I hear a Penguin bar is basically the same thing?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Sjonkel posted:

I bought some sweet potatoes, since I've never used them before and they aren't that common in stores where I live. But I honestly have no idea what to do with them. Can I prepare them the same way I'd do potatoes, or are there specific ways I should know about?

Make chips (fries) or make sweet potato mash with a bit of butter. Or put them in a curry along with chickpeas - sweet potato and chickpea curry is lush! They are pretty similar to potatoes in terms of what you can do with them, but I have found these applications to be the best for making the most out of the flavour difference. I would give them a few minutes in the microwave before cooking with them but that is mainly because I'm impatient.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Poached pears also make a really yummy dessert. You can make jam with them, or put them in crumble. Here's a bunch of recipes for a variety of applications. I like pears.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I recently found out that my local butcher sells wood pigeons for a pretty reasonable price, and I also found pigeon breasts at the market.

I've never tried pigeon but it's something I'd be very interested in doing. What's the best way to showcase the flavour of the bird in a good meal? Roasting seems like the obvious choice but I'm open to more interesting suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

flyboi posted:

Anyone know of a good pairing for sauce with cheese tortilini? I kind of want to do a cream-based and throw something like prosciutto and peas in but I only know one white sauce and it'd taste horrible as it's like 99% cheese.

I tend to make a nice, bright-tasting tomato sauce for that sort of pasta because else it's very heavy and cloying. Otherwise, fry off some garlic, add some double cream and simmer briefly before adding parmesan and black pepper. It will be a little thinner than a super cheesy sauce but overall it will still be heavy. If you want meat in it, I'd use pancetta rather than prosciutto.