Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

Kharma police, arrest this girl
She stares at me as if she owns the world
And we have crashed her party
I realized the other day that the only way I've ever had beets is the canned variety which were in turn boiled and slathered in margarine. I'm wanting to experience fresh beets, but wanted a few good ideas on how to try them. Does anyone have a good recipe or two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

Z. Beeblebrox posted:

I've tried cooking quinoa twice now for me and my fiance. We hated it both times. It just tastes...green, like what I would expect eating grass tastes like. I don't really know how else to describe it. The box says it's prewashed, so I don't believe it's a tannin issue. Everyone raves about it on the internet, like it's manna from heaven and I'm really disappointed that we both hate it since it appears to be quite versatile and this is something I could easily grow in an appreciable quantity. Am I cooking it wrong? Is there something else I should be adding? Last time I made it I cooked it up with water and a bit of salt and in a separate pot I melted some brown sugar, honey, raisins, chopped apples, cinnamon and some other spices to go on top. I had to add a ton of the delicious sugary goop to drown out the quinoa. Help me GWS, I really want this stuff to taste good since it's so healthy (the quinoa, not the diabetes goop :))

You may want to rinse it before you cook it anyway if it's coming out too bitter.

Here's a couple of recipes that I like for it. It also is great in meatloaf in place of bread crumbs.

Greek Quinoa

Ingredients:

1 cup rinsed quinoa
2 cups water
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup lemon juice
2 1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup kalamata olives, sliced
1 bunch scallions, chopped
1/2 small/medium sized fresh tomato diced (original recipe: 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved)
7 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup red onion*
1 tsp sea salt (original recipe only called for salt & pepper at the end)

Directions:

Bring the water to boil, and add the quinoa. Turn the heat down to medium low, and let the quinoa simmer stirring occasionally until the water is absorbed. This will take around 15 to 20 minutes.
Add oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and seasonings to a bowl. Toss in quinoa until well mixed.
Add olives, tomatoes, scallions, and feta. Mix well.
*I leave out the red onion because the boyfriend hates the stuff. It tastes fine without it.

Quinoa w/ Beans

1 tsp. olive oil
1 red onion, chopped**
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 cups veg. or chicken broth
1 tsp. cumin*
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper*
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup chopped tomato
15 oz. black beans or pinto beans
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

In a med. saucepan, heat oil and saute onion and garlic until lightly browned. Mix quinoa and broth into saucepan and add cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper. Bring mixture to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 mins.
Stir frozen corn into saucepan and continue to simmer for 5 mins until heated through. Mix in beans, cilantro, and tomatoes. Heat through and serve.
*First time I did this I accidentally used Tbsp instead of tsp. It was fine.
** I subbed green onion for the red onion.

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

Zenzirouj posted:

I really like bread a whole heck of a lot, but I haven't been as successful at getting into the habit of churning out a loaf about once a week as I had hoped. Every now and then I try, but tend to peter after a loaf or two. I think the main problem is that I'm trying to be too fancy with it, so I'm wondering what the most rear end-out lazy loving bread recipe you guys have is, as in something like "throw junk in the mixer for a few minutes, let it rise, bake it." Or is this one off the wiki as close as I'll get? http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Basic_bread

My hope is that once I get used to setting aside some time for breadery I'll slowly get better about putting effort into it.

I'm trying this out today. I mixed it together yesterday and added some whole garlic cloves and rosemary. Today I'll finish it up. The recipe is easy enough, so I hope it turns out!

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

Kuros posted:

Is there a good book that teaches basic/advanced cooking techniques and terms? I like cooking but sometimes I feel overwhelmed when I read a recipe book.

If you're a visual person, then Hungry In Brooklyn isn't a bad subscribe on Youtube.

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

drat, my only option for non-Korean flour is whole wheat. I was hoping I could just swap it out. I'll give this no-knead recipe another shot... I know it's supposed to be a wet dough but is it really supposed to be pourable?

This recipe is what I've been using, and the bread has been rising really nicely and is nice and bubbly inside. I'll go back and check the recipe you're using, but I wonder if the amount of the water is different?

A question on the no knead bread, the recipe says to wrap up the dough in a well floured towel to rest for 2 (or more) hours after you fold it. I've floured the hell out of the towels and the dough always sticks. Would it be OK just to either flour a bowl or oil it slightly and cover it with a towel instead?

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

I found a local shop that sells an amazing chocolate balsamic vinegar. I was thinking of pairing this with a pasta and red pepper flakes for something basic, yet good. Do any of you know of something else I could do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

I imagine that it would be awesome if swirled into a raspberry custard, especially with a little vanilla ice cream.

Hmm... that does sound good.

It may also be good with beets (which I'm still wanting to make).