Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Am having some friends over for dinner tomorrow and I'm going to make either ravioli or tortellini from scratch. I'm fine with making the pasta, I'm just wondering what to stuff them with that's a little different to the obvious fillings (spinach/ricotta etc). I've heard sage and butternut squash goes well, I'd like to make two or three different types and they need to be vegetarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Because I wanted to make a couple of different kinds but don't want two sauces as that'd get messy on the plate I've decided on roasted butternut squash with nutmeg and parmesan, and this homemade ricotta and lemon stuffing namely because they both would work well with a sage brown butter sauce, and I'm curious to try making my own ricotta. That said am I likely to be able to get cheesecloth from my local massive Tesco?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

The shop didn't have any cheesecloth so I ended up cutting a square out of a white t-shirt I'd never worn, it worked well enough and the ravioli went down a treat. In relation to the tea discussion my friend made some tea smoked duck which was delicious.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Hi thread, I wanna make macaroni cheese tomorrow but I'd like some pointers to make it unctuous and oozy like when I've ordered it at restaurants who know what they're doing. I've made it a shitload of times before and am happy enough with my overall method and the ingredients and general composition of the dish. My cheese sauce is delicious with a nice combination of cheeses and other flavours, and I make a panko breadcrumb topping mixed with garlic and parmesan and all that good poo poo.

My main problem is by the time the top is all browned and crispy the body of the dish is quite stodgy and heavy more like a standard pasta bake which while still delicious just doesn't hit the spot in the right way. I have a few thoughts. Firstly, whenever I've cooked this before has been at my family home with a range cooker with a faulty temperature dial.where the oven is either cold or blast furnace temperature, so this definitely doesn't help matters. Secondly, maybe I should add more milk to the sauce to make it thinner before baking, with the idea that after 30 minutes it will boil off to just the right consistency. Also maybe I should undercook the pasta a bit more on the hob so it finishes in the oven.

Can anyone help me perfect this? Now I have a functioning oven and a craving for decent mac and cheese I want to get this right. How long should it be in there, what temperature, are there any cheeses that lend themselves particularly well to the sauce beyond the usual suspects, any other tips would be very much appreciated.

Oh, I also want to add pancetta because a local bar/restaurant served their mac and cheese with it and it was delicious. Should I fry the pancetta off first and mix it into the mac before it goes into the oven? Or would it cook well enough if I mixed it in without cooking first? Thanks in advance!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Head Bee Guy posted:

my roommate who is allergic to bananas is out of the house for a week, so it’s time for banana bread.

Anyone got any recipes or tips on how to make it pretty moist?

This recipe has always served me well. Use 4 ripe bananas like it says for extra moist.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Make and freeze cookie dough, also make cookies and give them to friends/colleagues

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

I want to cook for someone, but I only have one hob + a rice cooker and they also aren't particularly into western food (I'm in Vietnam). I don't cook a lot of Asian food because it's so cheap to just go out and eat it here but since that's probably my best bet, anyone got any recipe ideas?

You could knock up a decent thai curry with just a rice cooker and 1 pan and I'm sure you're drowning in the necessary ingredients there

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

She doesn't really like curry otherwise that's exactly what I would do :(

Chase a less picky eater instead

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I worked in a Turkish kitchen every summer for years and we went through a shitload of aubergine cooked in every way possible there. Brining the sliced aubergines for half an hour or so then deep frying them worked well and they weren't too greasy at the end. No idea what variety of aubergine they were, whatever they were growing in the local villages.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

TheCog posted:

I have a bunch of eggplant in my fridge, anyone have any non-eggplant parm recipes I should try? I'm going to attempt baba ganoush, but I'd love any further suggestions, since we're basically going to be eating eggplant for the next week or so.

Turks know their aubergines and my favourite aubergine dish is called Hünkar beğendi. It's a rich lamb stew (although you could use other meat) on top of a creamy smoked aubergine cheese sauce and its loving delicious

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Qubee posted:

It was this basic BBC recipe. But it's a real no mess, no fuss kind. I wouldn't mind one that throws in a few more herbs and stuff to make it even better.

Nutmeg

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

effika posted:

Try putting a milder one with something sweet; bleu cheese & pear salads with candied walnuts were my gateway to liking bleu cheese. Then I started trying it on those seeded date crackers near the cheese counters, and eventually I got to just liking it all by itself.

Calling blue cheese bleu cheese is one of the stupidest and most pretentiously wrong things the American language has done imho

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

If you're in the US, BBC Good Food is probably going to be more annoying due to conversions and sourcing hassles.

Why? I don't understand this logic, like converting from idiot to metric is a pain because what the gently caress ridiculous kind of measurement is a cup, but surely any half competent home cook posting itf has an electric scale in which case you just... use it?

I remember reading some recipes from an American blog where the author bemoaned their system, but then went on to use it anyway. Why not be the change you want to see in the world?

Also, even calling it imperial seems weird. Fl oz and lb are actually measurable and I would be happier if recipes actually used them but everything just talks about cups, for both liquid and solid measurements. Ridiculous, especially for baking. Then the comments are full of people who hosed the recipe up. No poo poo

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Yeah uk recipes would say the temp in c or 'gas mark ~'but I've never as a 30 year old seen an oven in the wild marked that way and few recipes refer to it anymore

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

It's not like we don't have our own bastardised hodgepodge of imperial and metric - drinking and buying beer and milk by pints, everything else in ml, measuring height of people in feet and inches, weighing people in lb and stone but food in g, driving in miles but talking about distance in metres and km

But cooking just seems to be one place objectively much much better done in metric. I'm just voicing a bugbear I've had ever since I read that blog recipe where the author complained about their country not using metric then went on to use cups for everything

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

It's less personal attack and more, isn't it just the norm for most of the world that when you look up recipes online that you might have to do some conversion/understanding to figure out the different terminology?

Lots of recipes I see now have an automatic conversion for imperial and metric, which I appreciate. Or the blogger actually lists both when they finally get to the ingredients list

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Look at all these scrubs who didn't take dairylea dunkers to school to eat them in the playground at lunch after they've been sitting in a bag in your locker for 5 hours

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Qubee posted:

PS: Weltlich, your advice was spot on. Had KFC quality chicken that was really crackly and crunchy.

Talk about damning with faint praise

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 29, 2019

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Pasta with creamy spinach sauce and roasted tomatoes, serves 2:

Cut 2 tomatoes into wedges, or take a good handful of cherry tomatoes and chop them in half, and toss in olive oil and salt and pepper then place skin side down in a roasting tray in the oven for 20 minutes or so
Put pasta on to boil, preferably a shape that holds a sauce well
Saute a diced onion in a large pot, add a few cloves of diced garlic
Season
Add 100ml cream and 200ml veg/chicken stock, bring to a simmer
Add a teaspoon or so of freshly grated nutmeg
Add ~250g of washed fresh spinach (in batches if pan not big enough), simmer for 5 minutes or until wilted
Season some more
Stick blend the spinach sauce in the pot, add cooked pasta to it and cook for another minute or two to let flavours combine, serve with the roasted tomatoes on top and a poo poo ton of parmesan

Very simple and quick but extremely delicious meal, the roasted tomatoes + spinach combo is always a winner

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 1, 2019

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

toplitzin posted:

I've got way too much carrot and celery due to circumstances outside my control.

Outside of making a bunch of mirepoix, ants on a log, and crudites, WTF can do with 2lbs+ of carrots and celery?

Make quadruple the quantity of this curried carrot, lentil and cashew nut soup, my favourite thing to do with lots of carrots

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

gently caress grating all those carrots though just slice em and they'll be soft enough to blend after 10 minutes boiling

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Sounds like a good candidate for the reverse sear method

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I'm gonna make a roast beef dinner on new year's eve but I'm out of the country and so I asked my girlfriend to pick up some meat for me. We live in Luxembourg so all the cuts are in French - she bought an 800g 'roti gite a noix a braiser'. Trying to find translations of what the different cuts are is quite difficult but I think it's either topside or thick flank? So first I'm hoping are there any frenchies here that can help me identify this cut, and then what would be the best way of roasting it because I've never roasted a joint of beef before.

Obviously braiser means braise, which is clearly not roast, but all the descriptions of thick flank say it's a great cut for roasting. Alternatively if it would be poo poo roasted I guess I could make boeuf bourguignon.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

effika posted:

Hmm, let me pop that into Google Translate...

Uuuuh hmm

This should actually help though

Thanks for this

For roasting it medium rare, what kinda internal temp should I be aiming for when I take it out the oven before resting? And would the best way to cook it be searing it on all sides first in the cast iron pan then putting that into the oven?

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Leal posted:

I feel like I should ask this in the stupid questions thread but it is food related and I think I'll get a better answer here:

Are there any savory meals, namely those with a protein like beef or lamb, that uses chocolate or mint as an ingredient and is actually good? I've been watching all sorts of Ramsay reality shows lately and several times people will come up with a dish that either has mint or chocolate as a sauce for it. Not only does Ramsay never like them, even before he tastes it he goes "you loving what", which makes me think that its just not possible to mix these flavors. And yet so many try. So I'm curious if anyone has actually had a satisfactory chocolate or mint sauce used with meats.

Lamb with mint sauce is the most common way to serve it in the UK, Ramsay is just being OTT

Also chocolate in chili