Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Neko Sou posted:

I feel like this belongs here more than the Watch and Woot thread but I have a bad feeling I'll be chased out of here with pitchforks and torches for asking... but does anyone have any experience with Weight Watchers and WW-friendly recipes? I've been making things like tuna noodle casserole and I'd kind of like to fancy it up a bit more than that. The problem is you can't really use as much of the delicious stuff (olive oil, butter, cheese, breadcrumbs) in the quantities you'd usually want, so you're a little handicapped.

You're on the right track in that you are paying attention to what you're eating. WW just gives you a framework for doing that. That said, I'm not going to trash your diet, if it's working for you, but my guess is that they taste a little bland because they're cutting down all fats and carbs.

Olive oil is good for you. I'm not suggesting you drink it, but if you want to cook something in a couple glugs of olive oil, go for it. Butter is fine in moderation, as is cheese (but generally depends on the cheese). I might catch some flak for this, but some butter substitutes like Smart Balance taste very good. Not regular margarine, I hate the stuff, but SB is a fairly good butter substitute that I use because my dad had high blood pressure and I actually like it. You can't bake with it, but for frying eggs, putting on toast, nearly anything you can use butter for, you can use it in and it tastes good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

zapateria posted:

I had no idea.. All the recipes I've read says "use one packet of dry yeast" which is 50 grams, and I always use the whole packet. I'll try less and see what happens! Thanks.

Chances are you're misreading this or buying huge packets I've never even seen before, because the normal grocery-store packets of active dry yeast usually have 2 to 2.5 teaspoons of yeast, roughly 7 grams or so.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

Is this a chef's knife? I have never heard of a 'cook's knife' before. Or should I just get the Santoku listed below?

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod5250044&selectedTab=allProducts

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod5250043&selectedTab=allProducts

Yes, it's the exact same thing. Santoku vs. Western-style chef's knife is a matter of personal preference and you should go to a store that sells good knives and try out a couple of each and figure out which style is more comfortable.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Fisticuffs posted:

Hey guys

Guys

I am reducing pasta sauce(from scratch) in my cast iron pan. I think someone told me that you're not supposed to cook really acidic foods in cast iron pans(whoops). Did I gently caress it up forever? Will I need to reseason it or can I just wipe it down with oil?

It's solid iron. There is very little you can do to gently caress it up forever short of warping or cracking it. If the seasoning is heavy enough, acidic foods are fine from time to time, and if it looks like it's a bit off or food starts sticking to it, just wipe it down with oil while it's hot (after wiping it clean of course), then turn off the heat and let it cool.

Also what ricola said. It's not going to destroy your pan and you can fix any damage done to the seasoning fairly easily.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Tendales posted:

When the steak's cooked, stick it back into a foil pouch with some leftover marinade. Let it reabsorb that flavor as it rests. Soak it all up. That is the time for flavor country.

Absolutely do not do this. If you're putting cooked meat in the marinade that was used to marinate raw meat, you're just asking for a foodborne illness.

Also, don't marinate steak. Cook it dry and finish it with a sauce and don't put something on cooked food that was in contact with raw meat. And you don't need to put steak in a foil pouch. Just let it rest after you take it off the grill.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

While we're on the topic, why do people put oil in marinades? What's the perceived benefit?

I found this:

quote:

Using acids (usually along wines) makes sense because it tenderises the meat and allows the spices, herbs and other flavourings in the marinade to transfer into the meat.
Oil makes sense because it effectively takes the taste of the herbs and spices and again transfers it effectively into the meats immersed in it.

If it sounds dumb and wrong, that's because it is. Mostly. Marinating apparently used to be for tenderizing crappy tough cuts of meat, but the rest of that is just complete nonsense. Just brine and then finish with a sauce.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Azathoth posted:

I would like a cookbook recommendation. I've been learning to cook and I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would, and I'd like to have a cookbook full of interesting recipes to try. To that end, I'd like someone to recommend me a cookbook on German food, either main dishes or desserts. I absolutely love German food and there's a lot of family recipes that are vaguely German, but I'm more interested in authentic German recipes. Anyone have a good recommendation?

Obligatory "Frau Lutz making spätzle":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y6Ga9hMm4Y

About.com's page on traditional German recipes is a fine place to start. I also found a drat good recipe for the traditional Black Forest cake here on a regional website for the southern Black Forest area. I went over the About.com stuff and it's pretty authentic.

A lot of times recipes (especially the Black Forest cake and other desserts) are changed for American tastes on English-language websites (and in English cookbooks and American restaurants and bakeries). German desserts are not nearly as sweet as we're used to in the States. The traditional Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte calls for Kirschwasser (also called simply "Kirsch"), a clear brandy made from sour Morello cherries. Ordinary cherry brandy is sweet, and will change the flavor. You should be able to find kirsch in larger liquor stores or areas with a significant German population. Also, don't use Maraschino cherries, for the love of God.

I also found The German Cookbook by Mimi Sheraton, which is supposed to be authentic based on the reviews, but it was written in 1965 for the tastes of 1965 Germans (and some recipes may be harder to come by and rather bland as a result).

Some things you should definitely learn to make: Käsespätzle (cheesy noodles), Maultaschen (a kind of ravioli-esque thing), Frikadellen (German meatballs), Apfelkuchen (apple cake, it's amazing), the aforementioned Kirschtorte, sauerkraut, German potato salad, sauerbraten, currywurst (I'm only half-kidding) and if you're up to learning how to make a proper German mustard (really it's not difficult), go for it, because there is no meat that is not improved by German mustard.

e: When I've gotten some sleep I'll see about typing up some of my favorite recipes.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Urban Wizard posted:

So this isn't necessarily related to cooking, per se, but I was wondering if anyone could point me to some good cooking/food channels on Youtube. I love Chef John from Foodwishes and I love watching food videos but I haven't really been able to find much that has the same quality that his videos do. Any ideas? I hope this is allowed.

Jacques Pépin's Fast Food My Way series.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

If you can, try to get organic tofu from a local farmer who raises and slaughters their own tofus humanely. The flavor is light years beyond supermarket tofu.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Like in a BLT?

Bacon, lettuce, and tofu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

kalstrams posted:

Water with salt did it, thankfully.

Next time, if you burn worse onto a pan, Barkeeper's Friend will basically solve all of your problems.

Thumbtacks posted:

Quick question. I'm planning on trying to actually get in shape so I need to pay attention to what I'm actually eating. The plan is to try to stick to roughly 2000 calories or so a day, the problem is I've never really had to do any of this myself because I lived at home but now that I'm out on my own now's probably a good time to figure out what the hell I'm doing to myself. I can cook well but I have no idea how to prioritize certain foods over others so I get the appropriate amount of carbs/protein/fat/whatever. I'm not necessarily asking you guys to hash out a diet plan for me or whatever, but I'm heading to the store in a few hours and I'm wondering if there's a list of certain foods that you guys would suggest always having on hand, and maybe some suggestions about foods that even an idiot like myself can make that are good for me. Hopefully this is the right place for this.

slinkimalinki already linked you to the general thread in YLLS, but I will tell you what you will probably be told again: please work out.

There are a few of us who read/post both in YLLS and here. You can have delicious food and still get ripped. Things to always have on hand:

Plain non-fat or low-fat Greek yogurt and things to add to it to make it tasty.
No-salt-added low-fat cottage cheese and things to add to it (maple syrup and raisins are a go-to for me)
Chicken
Lean cuts of pork
Fish (watch out for mercury content; basically the lower on the food chain the fish is the better)
Natural peanut butter (i.e. should not have any ingredients beyond "peanuts", I like Teddie)
Milk
Eggs
Lots of fruits and vegetables. Stuff that's high in fiber is good: beans, leafy greens, potatoes (eat the skin), broccoli, apples (eat the skin), mangos, raspberries (8g of fiber per cup! and they're delicious!).

As far as counting calories, get a food scale and use MyFitnessPal or Cronometer. I like MFP because it has a bigger database, but sometimes you have to hunt around for a version of a certain food that has servings in weight/mass units, where Cronometer lets you input literally everything in grams. It's no big deal if the serving size on the package also lists grams, just weigh it out to match and if it's more or less just divide what you weighed by the number of grams per serving and put that in as your number of servings.

Example: Almonds, 1/4 cup (40g) per serving, you end up weighing out 53g. 53/40 = 1.325, so on MFP you'd put in 1.325 servings of 1/4 cup (40g). When a food is put into the database with a gram amount first as the default serving size, it also adds a 1g serving to the list, so you can easily log however much it weighs, but not everything has that.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 20, 2014