Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Humboldt squid posted:

anyway
I don't drink but I like to cook with alcahol sometimes, is there anyway to keep the rest of a bottle of wine after I use a few tbsp in a sauce or something? Also, is there a chart or something so I can look up what kind of beer to use in something like chili?

I get the little sutter home single serving 4-packs (glass bottles). Yeah, it's not fine wine, but it's perfectly adequate for almost any culinary application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Wahad posted:

So I made fresh pasta succesfully for the first time today, which was great. One minor nitpick however was that the noodles tangled up like crazy. Is there a way to prevent this? I tossed my noodles with some flour when they came from the machine, but as much as that prevented sticking, it didn't prevent the tangling. Should I be draping every individual noodle over an edge?

Yes, get a pasta tree. It's a little wooden device you can buy at TJ Maxx for a few bucks and is basically a clothes drying rack for pasta. You can also hang coat hangers from your oven's vent hood, but that can become problematic.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Comic posted:

I've eyed that for a while, but the handle seems really thin- is it thicker than it looks?

No, it doesn't need to be. Victorinox knives are all you will ever need unless you decide to cook for a living. Even if you do cook for a living, you don't need much more than Victorinox knives.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I want to bounce some christmas dinner ideas off of my favorite culinary hivemind.

I'm cooking a goose for Christmas. I'm quite comfortable with poultry in general and roasting big poo poo is nothing new, but I've never worked with goose. I gather that I need to score the skin and might have to remove some excess fat during the cooking process. Any other tips and tricks? Should I crisp up the skin with a cornstarch glaze? Are there any factors that would effect the stuffing in vs. out decision? What's the best thing to do with leftover goose fat? Is there a good way to make gravy out of the drippings or will it just be too fatty?

I'm thinking an "exotic" mushroom and dried (cherry/currant/whatever looks good) stuffing with leeks, carmelized shallots and almond meal. (I've got some dental issues and can't have anything crunchy.)

For sides I'm doing a sweet potato mash with grade B maple syrup, Fontina (and/or whatever looks good) Mac n Cheese with truffle oil, Veg TBD, Bread TBD.

Dessert is "orange snow" (traditional family monstrosity) pumpkin pie and whatever else I feel like making. If I have time, I want to make a country terrine as an app.

Here's the hard part. I have one oven, and I also have to make a ham in addition to the goose. I'm cooking for five foodies, two good-natured but very old and soft-palated grandparents, two teenagers who are so well-mannered that I will never know what they really think, and a cranky uncle who gets mad if his wife buys the wrong brand of milk because it tastes different. I'm not so much concerned about what anyone will think of me based on what I cook, but I really do want to make sure everyone has a good time and has plenty of food that they will enjoy eating.

Suggestions and tips much appreciated- thanks for reading my ramble.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

SnakeParty posted:

Thanks for the help!

It is a whole duck, about 3 lbs (1.4 kg). Do you have any good recipes? I am pretty dumb and, since it is my first time, would like something to reference (like when I first had sex and had to read 'Sex For Dummies' because girls are complex down there!) First times can be scary.

I like the idea of an orange sauce/rice/potatoes...not sure what I will do...

Any good wine pairings?

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/duck-a-l-orange

Pepin is the man. The recipe is for two ducks, but you can easily halve it. Don't worry about trying to find the breed of duck mentioned, because you won't. The site mentions some wine pairings. I personally like a very robust dry white or something like a Syrah with duck. The broiling step is important since duck skin (esp. on the breasts) is very fatty.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Time Trial posted:

My question: I made chicken stock yesterday, but I went out, leaving the pot to cool (including the various veggies and carcasses) and forgot to put it in the fridge when I got back last night. It sat out about 12 hours till this morning. Can I just boil it up and it'll be fine or is this trash?

Toss it. Stock is the ideal growth medium for bacteria.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Okay guys I'm going to do the crown toast for christmas dinner, it looks bad rear end and sounds like it's relatively little work. My question is... is making a bread stuffing in the middle of the crown roast a bad idea?

Yes. The stuffing will dry out and burn and you wouldn't have enough juice run-off to make it worthwhile anyway. Crown roast is loving awesome and impressive, although it tends to be refuckulously expensive- be prepared for that. If you don't have the sort of digital probe temp that you can leave in the oven, invest in one- you'll thank me later.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

razz posted:

Haha, that's amazing. I draw the line at roadkill, though. I've skinned and gutted roadkilled animals and often it's...not pretty. Liquified organs and bone shards everywhere.

Funny Story.

One of my very very yankee friends gets upset at the annual waste of pumpkins around Halloween. So she makes something she likes to call "roadkill pie." She will collect smashed pumpkins, clean them up, roast them and then make pie. Delicious pie.

I've eaten moose roadkill, it was pretty gamey. the big problem with car-slain meat is that it's never properly bled out. Unless you have the presence of mind to slit the throat and hang up the deer that just totaled your car, (with the rope and pulleys you carry with you?) you're dealing with an inferior product. Add to that the bruising and trauma caused by the wreck itself and you have stew meat. It's not great, but it's food, and nothing to be ashamed of.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Holy gently caress.

PAGING DC AREA SPOONIES!

Tell me where to eat this week!

http://www.restaurantweekmetrodc.org/

I'm scouting for jobs, so fine dining New American/Italian is what I want to focus on, but holy gently caress that's a lot of restaurants.

Oh and then next week it's Alexandria restaurant week.

http://dc.about.com/od/foodevents/a/AlexandriaRestWk.htm

And Bethesda restaurant week.

http://www.bethesda.org/bethesda/bethesda-chevy-chase-restaurant-week-0

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Xandu posted:

Bibiana sounds like what you're looking for.

edit: I also like Birch and Barley, Rasika, and BlackSalt a lot, but they don't really fit your criteria.

Bibiana res on Sunday, can't wait.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Fog Tripper posted:

What am I missing? This needs.... something.

Making some on-the-fly chilli. Here's what I have simmering away so far:

- Well-browned ground meat. By well-browned, I mean well seared in the cast iron.
- thick-chopped onions and red/yellow bell peppers, carmalized in the cast iron after the beef
- 3 beans: black, red kidney and pink kidney (just tossing in what I had on hand)
- fair amount of chilli powder
- Tangerine zest (for some reason this sounded good to me)
- a dash of hickory liquid smoke
- a couple large cans of crushed tomatoes
- salt/pepper
- edit: garlic powder

It smells ok, but is missing some depth when I gave it a taste. I don't want to dump a ton of additional smoke or chilli powder into it. The taste is almost too "bright" and fruity (yeah, I know... zest) like a chinese dish.

So, what am I missing?

acid? try adding just a little red wine vinegar. A splash of OJ might also brighten it up.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Tomatoes already in there for acid. He's looking to bring down the bright. Some whiskey on the other hand, hmm. Probably would have to add too much to get a flavor to come through, though; a lot in there to compete with.

Wow, I can't read- I totally missed the "too bright" bit. :)

I wouldn't add much booze to the finished product since you'll get more raw alcohol taste than flavor. Deglazing the pan with whiskey or beer (or anything) would have been a good idea, but you can't unbreak an egg.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

dino. posted:

Although a little tilted towards North Indian food, Madhur Jaffrey's An Invitation to Indian Cooking is a solid work.

http://www.amazon.com/Invitation-Indian-Cooking-Vintage/dp/0375712119

Dino is too humble. He wrote an AWESOME cookbook which, while certainly not a primer on classic indian cooking, still contains a boatload of indian or indian-inspired dishes and did I mention it rules?

http://www.amazon.com/Alternative-Vegan-International-Straight-Produce/dp/1604865083/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326563037&sr=8-1

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Benjamin Black posted:

They're okay. Re-heating them though, blech, does not sound appetizing.

Also, thanks for all the advice everyone. This is going to help me a lot.

DO NOT PUT HARD BOILED EGGS IN THE MICROWAVE. (Not even for ten seconds)

As for breakfast options, cheese and fruit are good. I have to do high-protein in the mornings too, and I find adding in some carbs perks me up a bit, so I'll generally have eggs and a banana, or yogurt and a glass of OJ.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Benjamin Black posted:

Relax, I wouldn't have microwaved it with the shell still on.

Shell off, they explode even faster. Takes about eight seconds.

You can cut up the egg into small pieces and then tightly plastic wrap the container, and then you just have little exploded egg chunks in a bowl. Warm, but not appetizing.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Benjamin Black posted:

Do they literally explode like a grenade as in the story or do they just rupture?

honestly, I think that if you have to ask three times, you're probably going to find out on your own anyway. It's your microwave...

(yes, they do explode like tiny, soft, eggy grenades, coating the interoir of your microwave with fine, greasy egg yolk particles.)

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I have a bluefish!

I'm probably going to do the butter, herbs and foil thing, but do any of you have other awesome ideas? I remember having bluefish with a balsamic sauce, that was fun.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

theDoubleH posted:

So I bought a steamed lobster, to prepare tomorrow for Valentine's day, but I'm not sure what to do with it. My SO recently told me she's never had lobster so that's my motivation. On the one hand, I'd like to let it stand on its own, with lemon and butter over a bed of greens. On the other hand, she can be a picky eater, so I'm also considering "disguising" it a bit with lobster ravioli. Any other suggestions? Something in between these extremes maybe?

when was it steamed and is it fresh or frozen? It's probably out of season and therefore hard shelled and a bit flavorless but with lots of meat. Is it whole or just a tail/claws?

Don't mean to be obnoxious, but I can say that I'm a subject matter expert when it comes to lobster. I want to help.

Wroughtirony fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 14, 2012

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

theDoubleH posted:

It was steamed fresh in the supermarket a few hours ago (been in the fridge since I got home). It was an impulse buy as it was fairly cheap for lobster; if I really shouldn't eat it the next day I could prepare it tonight - I haven't started on dinner yet. It's whole.

Cool. if it's a whole steamed lobster eat it tonight! reheat it gently in the oven. You can reheat it tomorrow but it won't be as good. Assuming it's whole the guts and entrails are included, which causes the lobster to get gross, fast.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

theDoubleH posted:

OK, thanks for the tip! We'll eat it tonight.

drawn butter!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Hobohemian posted:

Thanks for the replies, it sounds really interesting. Someday I might make the jump to get the real thing and try something really creative. Looking forward to my next steak already.

I'd say try the stock pot + candy thermometer method before buying a machine to see how much you like it. Steaks are pretty forgiving, so is duck breast. once you get into fancier stuff, temperature control is important enough that a machine is way more practical, plus babysitting your temp is a pain in the rear end. I use a cheap ziploc vacuum sealer and I find it easy to make perfect sous vide duck.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Can anyone recommend a basic cookbook? Basic as in "you're finally ready to move on from the George Foreman grill and actually do some prep work that's more than thawing a piece of meat in the sink for four hours?"

Most of my cooking experience comes from reading the direction on the back of a box. I'd like to change that.

I'm a big fan of The Joy of Cooking. It has great descriptions and explanations of various techniques and ingredients. A lot of the recipes are a little dated but I find it to be a great reference, especially for baking.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Most butchers will grind meat for you if you ask. Just buy a cut of pork with the meat/fat ratio you want and ask nicely.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Barnum posted:

Weird question here. I grew up in northern New York, and we have these clams here. Descriptively, they're brown and kind of longish (sorry for the awful description).

They seem to live in the rivers and lakes around here, and I can remember people eating them at the beach. I'm just wondering what they are scientifically and if anyone here has eaten them.

Google has failed me.

These ones?

They're edible, but I'd check with someone local before harvesting them- you might be downstream of something nasty.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

hankor posted:

I have to cook for about 9 people tomorrow and finally had an epiphany on what to make for dessert without investing huge amounts of money, a fruit salad. My problem is that I want to serve it in a bowl made from banana.

A couple of years ago I saw Anthony Bourdain eat fruit out of a bowl made from fried banana and it looked delicious. The way I think it might work is to crush the bananas into a fine paste and add bread crumbs until it's thick enough retain a bowl form long enough for it to be submerged into the oil.

Does anyone have any experience with this or knows a recipe?

By all means go for the gold and make your banana masterpiece!

But if it fails, you can carve cool poo poo out of pineapples, melons or coconuts.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

I made some lamb stock last night, because people kept telling me I should so as not to waste the bones.

I have no idea what to cook with it. Basically every single dish I find wants me to make it while cooking some kind of lamb meat, then using it with the meat. Are there ways to use it effectively in non-lamb dishes? I'm not against it, but lamb is expensive.

You can use your lamb stock with almost any savory dish that calls for water or chicken stock or beef stock. If you've never made risotto before, do that.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

scuz posted:

If someone is worried about a possible mold problem in their small (~400 square foot) apartment, is making a sourdough starter gonna give that person botulism or is that a stupid thing to worry about?

Yes.

Mold is not yeast is not anaerobic bacteria.

Starter can get moldy, but it's pretty obvious when it does.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Hey, I have a few quick questions.

Exactly how unhealthy or healthy are pesto and chicken feet?

Does anyone have any nice recipes for the former?

Depends on your definition of "healthy." Pesto is highly caloric but has vitamins and poo poo, chicken feet are fatty but small.

This recipe is a pretty good representation of the basic premise of pesto. I make mine less cheesy and less garlicky, but that's just my taste.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Cauldron question!

My mom is changing her electric stove to a gas one. She'd also like to change her cauldron set, but she's wondering if there is a brand/material/type that is better suited to gas heat than another. I don't know anything about this, or even if if makes a difference, so I thought I'd defer to goon wisdom.

You're going to have to be more specific about your definition of "cauldron." I envision a large roundish cast iron pot with a lid that you hang over an open fire.

Practically, there aren't really any cooking materials that are better suited to gas than electric. I suppose you could argue that cast iron is especially nice with gas because it changes temp slowly so you're less likely to burn things with the heat too high, but even that is a weak argument. Heat is heat.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Eeyo posted:

You just say SWIM (someone who isn't me) when you reference what you've done all the time, it's a great system.

On a more serious note regarding gas ranges: I was helping my parents prepare our Christmas meal in their new house with a gas range, but a pot of water took forever to boil on it. Maybe it's because I'm used to electric stoves (used them all my life with a few exceptions), but it took way too long to bring a big pot of water to boil. It seemed like a lot of the heat was travelling around the sides of the pot, could that happen because the pot wasn't close enough to the flame? The stove is messed up? It was a big soup pot type of thing, so it wasn't too small for the burners. We ended up putting the thing on the wok burner the stove has so it would finally boil in a timely fashion.

My folks bought one of those fancy new "restaurant style" gas ranges and it has the same problem. The racks put the pans way too far from the burners. It would work if it had more BTUs, but I think ranges for home use are limited. My cheap-rear end gas stove works better than their expensive one.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

At this point, if you wanted to corn a beef for st patty's you should have started a week ago. It takes a week for the nitrates to cure the thick slab of brisket. I've done this one: http://ruhlman.com/2010/03/corned-beef-how-to-cure-your-own/ it's very good.

Irish-by-way-of-Boston folks don't use nitrates. "Grey corned beef" is a delicacy only available around St. Patrick's day.

I corned a beef a few years ago- it was fun and turned out great. Very easy to do. But Grav is right- you have to start it last week for it to be ready for the holiday.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

CuddleChunks posted:

There is a zero percent chance of going blind from homemade moonshine unless you dump one of the components in your eye or your still explodes. That's a pervasive myth from when folks were adding nasty poo poo into their mixture instead of properly distilling alcohol. They'd deliberately add methanol (wood alcohol) because it was cheap and then it would do its merry dance on your optic nerve.

Straight up home distillation (which you can do in a freezer) doesn't create methanol as a byproduct.

Cowcatcher - CzarChasm's advice is sound - sniff your resulting fermented brew. If it smells like death then don't drink it. If it smells like gross, homebrew mead and gives you a wicked buzz and then a worse hangover after you pass it out at your nearest SCA event then you've made it exactly right.

If it's somehow a delicately flavored honey wine with a strong honey scent and reasonable alcohol content then you went and screwed it up. Bleah. You might as well bottle that poo poo up and send it to me for disposal. :v:

I laughed pretty hard at this. Hahahha.

It is possible to produce methanol by accident. It's pretty easy to prevent or detect, but it's not strictly the result of adulterating your product.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

IIRC, you cannot make methanol by fermentation. Since he is making mead, this is not a worry at all.

If it smells like a band aid, like wet socks, or has mold toss it. If it tastes like a band aid or wet socks, toss it. If not, "Relax! Don't Worry! Have a Homebrew!"

you're right- I didn't read carefully. wine (rarely) or distillation are the main culprits with methanol.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Syjefroi posted:

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but... I bought a whole chicken (vacuum packed) and it's been in my freezer for a while - the sell-by date is Nov 7, 2010. Is this worth using or should I toss it?

Yes, you know the answer. At best, it's freezer burned to hell and back.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Very Strange Things posted:

Yeah, but it's still protein. It's not going to be tasty, but there's an OK chance that it's still edible. Thaw it, open it, smell it, THEN chuck it when you've found out it smells bad.
Even if you don't think you know what bad meat smells like, you do.
It could still be possibly OK for a crappy chicken salad or something.
I hate to waste a dead animal.

If it was in a rarely-opened chest freezer, maybe. But some nasty bugs can still grow in a freezer, especially one that's opened frequently, and bacteria that produce toxins aren't always spoilage bacteria (which make things smell.) They grow slow, but two years is long enough. Besides, whole chicken is about a dollar a pound- worst case s/he's throwing out five bucks. Compost it and you're doing fine.

As a point of reference, when I cleaned out my freezer in Louisiana there was mold in the corners. Light green, powdery, dry mold.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Hed posted:

What do you guys use for vacuum sealing for sous vide? I am going to do the ziplock thing tomorrow but apparently this isn't good for long-term puddling.
Costco has a few food saver i believe and I looked at a few on amazon. How do you handle fluids that wouldn't freeze? In Under Pressure the author talks about some sweet sounding professional kitchen units but I'm sure those are 10 grand, I haven't really looked at them. I just want to be able to seal and perhaps integrate some neat things, not keeping track of 10 bag sizes would be nice.

By "the ziplock thing" do you mean a regular recloseable bag, or the Ziplock brand vacuum seal bags? The latter are a good compromise for ocassional puddling. They're regular bags with a one-way valve. They're sold with a little hand pump that you can use to suck the air out of the bag. No worrying about freezing your liquids. I puddle maybe six times a year and I would have little other use for a vacuum sealer, so it's a good system for me.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

I agree. Convenience and keeping the Mrs happy. Iqfbscb are for her. I think they're pretty flavorless. Price wise, Ive found thighs and thigh quarters to be cheaper than whole chicken, but nothing crazy. Usually .69/lb for thigh quarters vs .99/lb for whole.

I dunno how the amount of bones in the whole bird vs thigh make a difference in the stock. I usually get a pot of stock out of either the whole or the thigh bones, though I think I remember somewhere about the wings being good and snipping the tips off before throwing them in the pot.

Wait, so your wife will eat BSCB that you buy in a package at the store, but she won't eat de-skinned chicken breasts that you cut off of a chicken?

Anyway- I see you on the price of chicken thighs vs. whole chicken. But you're not going to get the best stock out of just thigh bones. A lot of what gives good stock its flavor and texture is the connective tissues, cartilage, etc. And like another poster said, if you make a lot of stuff that calls for shredded chicken, whole chicken is the way to go.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

What's the optimum time to S-V a 3/4" thick ribeye?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Also, in scallop-speak, the really big ones are called "U-10s" (as in less than ten to a pound.) I see dry U-10s pretty fairly often in the grocery stores around here, but they're spendy. Don't give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

The SARS Volta posted:

I have 2 lbs of 80/20 ground beef left over from Saturday evening, and I don't want to grill hamburgers because it's like 100 F outside.

Thinking meatloaf. Not particularly enamored with the recipes in the GWS wiki.

Help me out, amigos.

Check out the "Much Ragu About Nothing" thread. 80/20 is a little fatty for meatloaf, but it will do fine for bolognese.