Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

psychokitty posted:

Has anyone tried this Beyond Meat stuff? I'm a curious environmentalist who loves meat.
Just support local farms that rotate livestock and plants. I'm of the opinion that non local food isn't environmental no matter how much soy it's made of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/food-lab-guide-to-prime-rib.html

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Non stick things like that tend to not last, get hot enough because they are non stick or have good temp controls.

There is nothing in that product that cannot be done better and cheaper with two cast iron pans which will run you 30 bucks and not break/worsen with age after 1-3 years. They will actually improve with age and use. If you really want a panini with grill lines just get a George Forman. If you don't have a range for some reason imo get an induction plate and some pans but I could see a use for it then.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

KillHour posted:

Hence why I'm trying to do aluminum. A 14" x 16" x 3/8" aluminum plate only weighs 8 lbs. Compare that to almost 24 lbs for steel of the same size. Unfortunately, 14 x 16 is not a standard size and would cost ~$100 before shipping.
That mass does make a difference re: pizzas. If you're worried about cost imo get a stone before an aluminum plate.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

How long will a raw pizza last in the fridge?

It's a pesto and cheese and pepper pizza with no meat, sealed in plastic wrap.
The dough will eventually poo poo itself re: gluten as it's already shaped and it'll absorption moisture of the sauce so you won't get a good crust. Assembled pizzas should be par cooked. The age of the dough determines that.

Pizza dough itself is good for about a week in the fridge.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

A sugar cookie recipe I was using had cream of tartar in it, and I somehow didn't notice and made the recipe completely without.

It has baking soda. Will it just be chewier than it would have been with cream of tartar?
baking powder is soda + tartar so unless you have another acid in there the cookies will taste odd and probably not have the levening desired.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'd probably eat them but it'll depend on how picky the eaters are. I have accidentally used soda instead of powder in a 1:1 and those were terrible, but that's also a bigger mistake than yours since your recipe called for soda.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Unless something calls for a specific yeast I.e. champagne they are interchangeable, although technically not at a 1:1. Rapid is encased in sugar so you don't have to activate it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Good method or recipe for Siu Yuk? Have not caught up on the Chinese thread but I don't see it linked in the OP. http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/crispy-pork-belly-siu-yuk/ seems to be the best I've found.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Thunder Moose posted:

Can someone help me improve upon my nacho dip?

12 ounces shredded chuck steak
12 ounces hormell hot beanless chili
4 drops liquid smoke (YES I KNOW)
3 table spoons chili lime chulo sauce

It's pretty damned tasty but feels like it is missing something.
What do you call cheese that isn't yours?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I think you need cheese, maybe not even nacho cheese, and onion. Anchovies make everything better too, but that's just me.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The type of potato matters for skin removal post cooking as well.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cooked - Fridge, raw - unassembled, parcooked and frozen - assembled.

Respectively: Soggy but can reheat to crispy, amazing when cooked, I'm experimenting with this now.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There was a fluffy bunny's (I think) thread about raising meat rabbits and one of the posts was a rabbit being broken down. Alternatively use youtube.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Make your own conclusion? http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/12/the-burger-lab-salting-ground-beef.html I believe you'd find the same results for any ground meat, even human.

IMO if you want chewier meat just cook it into leather.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Revol posted:

I'm looking to change my soda habit for health reasons. Problem is, I need something to drink beyond just water, and I cannot stand tea. I also cannot stand alternative sweeteners. I've tried a lot of water enhancers, and I can't stick with any of them. Really, it's not that I want to fully quit sugar, I just want to drastically cut it back. I figure may I can do this by making my own soda. I bought a Sodastream a couple weeks back. First I tried their Lemon/Lime, don't like it because it's a 7-Up knockoff, which I have always hated the flavor of.

I found this recipe for an attempt at homemade Mountain Dew, my favorite. I'm not expecting it to get really close to that flavor, but with work, close enough. To start out, I'm only going to do the first half of the recipe, and skip the second half with the peels. I'm also using bottled juices instead of from the fruit. If I find potential, I'll play with that later.

Thing is, 2 cups of sugar for a gallon of soda is still a bit much. After some research today, I think I figured that a gallon of the Dew would be around 2.5 cups, so that isn't enough of a cutback. I want to see if I can make 1 cup of sugar work.

Here's what I am looking for advice on. If I use less sugar, do I use less water as well? I imagine the sugar+water would make a plain syrup. If I use 1 cup each, then it wouldn't become a real syrup, wouldn't it? I'm thinking I would want to keep the same sugar to water ratio, along with the same amount of juices listed here.
Fresca. Drink Fresca. it'll become the only soda you will drink and the only option is "diet" (in the US).

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

aka placebo. See gluten, msg, other things.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My issue with any of those sweeteners on mice is that they end up consuming vastly more of the artificial sweetener than even the biggest die hard soda person would. I couldn't view the articles behind the nature.com paywall, but I know at least when it was artificial sweeteners => cancer, the mice were given the equivalent of an IV drip of the stuff or something absurd. A change in your GI bacteria due to a change in diet is, unless I'm completely mistaken, a truism.

/e- A response to that study. http://www.foodinsight.org/blogs/mice-and-media-credulous-response-iffy-sweetener-study

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 16, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That I agree with, but saying artificial sweeteners are dangerous or will increase your blood sugar is wrong.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I do

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Long term, non cohort, studies with > 7 people disagree with that though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2011/12/26/ajcn.111.022533.full.pdf

May not be exactly what you want.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Jerky

Will you have a cooler or any method of refrigeration?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They're more smokey while a habanero is fruity, but not nearly as sweet as a scotch bonnet.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

With my KA attachment I gave up and the bits just eventually came out. You'll get a better feel for the dough which will result in less crap in the parts in the future.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I do a dry brine with fried chicken. I think it's nice for applying the batter and seasoning

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Recipe for Nutella brownies? Or cookies or cake or something. Doesn't matter specifically what, so long as it's Nutella'd.
http://www.culinarycoutureblog.com/2014/05/chocolate-macarons-with-nutella-ganache.html

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

My dad loves baking bread, and I'm looking for a present for his birthday. He likes understanding the theory behind things as well as the practical side, so I thought maybe a book like this would be good:

http://www.amazon.com/Bread-Bible-Rose-Levy-Beranbaum/dp/0393057941

Is this a good choice? Any other suggestions for a sort of "Everything you ever wanted to know about bread!" type book?
I like bread science

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Probably not, I got it when it was in print. I see it as 30 bucks though, the author is Emily Buehler It goes over the biochem in the second chapter, but in a manner you don't need a great background with the subject, then it's more practical regarding the various stages of baking a loaf. I love it as a reference as it's higher level and mostly not recipe specific so it helps me determine how I hosed up to avoid it in the future, but if you're father is already a good baker he probably won't need the practical references.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I use them on lobster/crab

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

High heat imo. Not sure you'll be able to replicate a restaurant wok using medium as the recipe auggests

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm not a fan of dropping 400 for non induction capable multiply. Not sure if that's relevant for you. I have the cuisinart tri set (wanted metal lids) and I like it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Only for the internal layer, outer and core are AL

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I think you need to avoid capsicum for crohns

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There are rice cookers which will purposefully do exactly what you did in order to try and germinate the rice.

That involves warm water though and multiple days.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

then you will want to make things to go with your bread and the world opens up

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

I haven't done much of anything, but you're right I would imagine baking would be pretty heavy on 'measure out x amount of y ingredient, combine like so and bake at this temp for that time. It's more that most of the things I would bake would be brownies and cakes, and I don't need any more of that mess in my diet right now...

According to the website I should get a box of soy-glazed meatballs, seared chicken & verjus pan sauce and red curry and coconut shrimp stir fry next Saturday. I don't even know what some of those words mean so I should expand my culinary experience pretty rapidly if I keep up with this.
there are lots of good instant beads, like banana, which would fall under the brownie/cake category. If you've never had fresh baked bread, don't fear the yeast; no-kneed is near foolproof and would be a great side to the blue ribbon stuff.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You're not thinking about just a lime & cilantro sour cream are you?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

any KA pro or lift model does not have plastic gears now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

starter dude who's flushing 4oz a day, that's a lot. I maintain mine at 80g (4ish? tbs of starter) 100% hydration replacing half every day or two if I"m negligent.