Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I miss the food safty thread!

bought some shank earlier this week, butcher didn't wrap it well so some parchment was in contact with the beef. trimmed the parchment that got stuck on it off. near the parchment here was also a few strands of a white whispy mold on some fat. cut those off and salted and threw in the fridge.

should i throw them out? smell seems fine, the edges are a bit dry which is nothing i'd be concerned about aside from the mold.

/e 5 or 6 days old. only would have been below fridge temps on the walk home.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I just want something that will last 5-10 years and let me cook meat outside and not have to gently caress with charcoal or pellets or wood before cooking. Like I have very little time and energy to spare so I care more about the ability to get a lot of food cooked decently and quickly than making sure every piece of beef has the optimal smokiness. I want a smoker too (or will probably end up making one), but that's farther down the road.

all the good ones suck your dick too so it's actually not a bad deal tbqh

Look for something that protects the piping from flare ups. A gas grill will ultimately have to be maintained to last even five years regardless. Maybe replacing all the guts at that point. A charcoal chimney is easy and takes about as long as preheating a gas grill imho and a Webber kettle is indestructible.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Until you have to deal with hot spots after a year or two.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If I were to buy a gas "grill" it'd be something like this: https://slickdeals.net/f/13315615-cuisinart-360-griddle-cooking-center-115-115-64#commentsBox

However I have the pizza steel for the webber that I just use as a griddle.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can always ask the butcher too. Who knows about large market but my local one will.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

There are physical features that make grapes and hot dogs perfect for choking and difficult to remove, instead of like cereal or apples that are even more consumed by Western kids. On the other hand, if kids ate as many cherry tomatoes or whole olives as they do grapes, they'd probably be tied for third.

tl;dr. dead baby talk obv

don't you dare talk bad about my cherry tomatoes.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There's seedless grapes and grapes too. The lack of seeds means they don't need to be chewed. Buy your kids seeded grapes and they'll find the truth and light that is cherry tomato.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Wouldn't a steak house just use the traditional metric shitton of butter

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

I have a recipe for snickerdoodles that calls for 1tsp cream of tartar + 2tsp baking powder.

What should I replace the cream of tartar with? More baking powder?

def not baking powder. cream of tarter is acidic and is what's combined with baking soda to make powder. you'll need an acid of sort

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

rinsing meat is pretty dumb.

soaking in salt water is pretty smart. You may want to do it for more then 20 mins.

/e- rinsing was practiced back in the ol' boomer times for meat that was near off and a bit slimy. They cooked everything to oblivion so that's why it "worked" iirc

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Something the wing places don't do so they can double sell dip is a blue cheese with some hidden valley ranch dust added :yum:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

prayer group posted:

The point I want to make here is that cheap comfort food doesn't have to be bland necessarily, and in fact I think it's kind of condescending toward disadvantaged people to insist so. Salt is extremely cheap. So is black pepper. Using those in that dish would make it orders of magnitude better, while costing only pennies more (or I guess pence, since we're in Scotland here). It is truly baffling that I'm getting blowback on the food subforum for saying that food can and should be seasoned.

If we're talking stuff that's cheap, keeps well, and has that homogenous "slop" quality, I really like this pork ragu. I make it with whatever size pork shoulder I find, often four-plus pounds in size. You can use dry herbs if that's all you have on hand. You can scale it up, you can dress it up, you can dress it down. Keeps really easily too. Just boil some pasta (fresh tagliatelle like the recipe insists is best of course, but dry fettucine is just as nice when on a budget) al dente, throw it in a pan with a scoop of the pork ragu, toss to combine. Hit it with parmesan if you have some, but it's not strictly necessary.

the british are very defensive about their bland

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you are somehow in Hong Kong with too many meals to spare head to mosque street and see the blandest fish and chips shop exist next to good Indian and realize it's by design

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Fender Anarchist posted:

no see bananas and berries have sugar just like corn syrup does so obviously they're equally bad

my man bananas are berries. avoid berries in smoothies

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

whatever beans ya got, stock, beef and/or pork, lots of dried chilis, adobe chili, can(s) of tomato, whatever fresh you can get, onion, garlic, drink a bunch while it simmers and throw some beer in to top it off. season with fish sauce to taste. that'll be my sunday :V

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You'll want a bench stone for sharpening. Look for a 320/1000 doublestone if your knives are real bad

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

5-7 layer dip

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They'd be good at room temp for like 4 hours, so there's a little risk of botulism, but it likely will still taste great. Dice roll but I'd eat it if no immunity compromises.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

electric broiler? Radiant heat is needed, probably miserable with the torch. You may just be able to stovetop it though, i dunno, i hate corn.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

bawfuls posted:

From a brief search, this looks like it comes up periodically but can someone give me the lowdown on garlic oil and botulism?

Is there no reliable way to make it acidic enough at home to be safe to store?

since nobody answered, probably not. You can make confit in a preasure cooker ala modernist. I've had mixed success with it, honestly poor, and even then once they're cracked you gotta fridge and use fast.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So I've always wanted to try my hand at making a homemade deep dish pizza, because I've always loved it but I've also moved an eternity away from where I could get it regularly, so now my only hope is to make one for myself. Are there any decent recipes to start with that might be compatible with a springform pan, or should I just run with making a generic pizza dough and layering from there?

Deep dish is an odd crusht, like a leavened cornmeal low hydration thing iirc. You can't use a regular pizza dough since it's a casserole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Baking what

There is a cookie thread too