Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So after going on a sopranos binge, in one of the last episodes Tony orders a sandwich with vinegar peppers. Does anyone know where I can buy these in the UK? They sound like the perfect addition to literally every sandwich I make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ah are they just cherry peppers? I thought they'd be just pickled bell peppers jarred. May have to just do it myself. I recently discovered the joy of slicing pickled onions into sandwiches.

Edit: the sandwich I made for lunch yesterday, a really nice spicy salami, chedder, pickled jalapenos, pickled onion sliced, home grown tomato, lettuce and this

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Can I post a new (was it closed) sandwich thread without photos?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Odd question for GWS and please don't hate me for it. I don't eat any fish. I can't stand the smell of it and that gets into the taste so I don't eat it. Having said that, I have tried quite a few different kinds of fish in the last 10 years or so. Shark thigh, self caught trout and salmon. Same gag reaction from all of them.

What I want to know is if I'd experience this with sushi? Part of why I hate the smell of fish is the smell of it cooking. I have never eaten sushi and decided to wait until I can try some from somewhere high quality. Am I making a mistake here and will just end up wasting money and should try one of those crappy supermarket sushi lunch boxes?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Kenning posted:

Don't get the stuff from the supermarket. Go to a decent sushi joint, worst case scenario you'll be out like $15. Try tuna, salmon, aaaaaand idk. Unagi (eel). Get sashimi or nigiri. Dip the fish in a little soy sauce, not too much. Use wasabi at your discretion. I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for the advice, I love horseradish and mustard but haven't eaten wasabi which is similar right?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I know there is a thread but seriously, as much onion, garlic and chilli as you can handle. It might only be temporary and you might want comfort food but it'll give you at least an hour of feeling back to normal. They're miracle foods. Hell, just eat a couple of raw chillis and your sinuses will be cleared out

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Prepare for your nose to leak all over the place

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

branedotorg posted:

I dont enjoy most fish or shell fish. Partly taste but mostly texture. I'll eat it if it's impolite not to but with no pleasure. Oddly i love sashimi, especially firm white fishes.

Well, aside from the smell of mushrooms and fish, texture is the big thing that puts me off any other food. Can't really think of much else other than those. Not a big fan of caugette and aubergine though due to texture.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Again for UK goons, can people help me with recipes for some thai food that isn't standard thai green/red chicken curry? Phad Thai etc. Stuff that is easy and fast to make would be perfect

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Right, thanks for the recipes, will give both a go, take some photos and start a Thai food thread unless someone wants to do it for me. My photos will be poo poo iPhone photos

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Oh thats all I was going to do, I mean I know pretty much nothing about Thai food outside of Thai curries and Pad Thai

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So another question for people. I don't consider myself a good cook by any stretch of the imagination. I can make very nice food because I can follow a recipe very well and take care to prepare in advance and make sure that I don't have to juggle too much poo poo at once so something may get burned for example.

What I am bad at is coming up with food ideas when I cook (currently living with my parents so less of an issue but it means I get to cook more unusual dishes since they can pay for the more exotic ingredients and I cook for myself based on craving) and basically being able to look at whats in the fridge for example and being able to make something good out of it.

Will this just come with time or is it one of those gifts that true cooks have?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cooking a steak tonight with home made spiced wedges. Thinking I might like a sauce but not sure, something thick for the steak. The wedges are currently in the oven after being boiled. Any quick recommendations? I'm happy to have the steak solo obviously

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Decided to just fry some onions in the fat rended out of the steak.

Finally managed to get steak perfect. Trick is definitely to use steak at least an inch thick

Jose fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 23, 2011

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Added a little beef dripping to the pan before I sat it on the side of fat for frying. No idea if it made any difference

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So, I love spicy food. Indian, what Mexican I've had, what Thai I've had. What other countries is spicy food a standard thing?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Korean.

Got any easy recipes I can do? or just names or stuff that I can search for online? That would be awesome.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

JGdmn posted:

What are the best cuts for a med-rare steak?

I did a sirloin last night. Not marbled like some of those in the steak thread, had the butcher cut it about 1-1.5 inches thick. It was thickest at the streak of fat on one side. I made oven wedges, stuck the cast iron pan in the oven for maybe 30 minutes total before it went on the (electric) hob. A little bit of beef dripping then just on the side of fat until it was going crunchy and there was a lot of rended fat. 3 minutes per side, onto a plate into the 200^C oven for 3 minutes then 5 minutes rested. Absolutely perfect in terms of medium rare. Only issue I'd say is while there was a very nice crust, it looked a bit burned in places? Maybe this was because I peppered the steak before frying but it didn't really affect the flavour. Was the best steak I've ever eaten though.

I salted it about 2 hours before cooking

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

zerox147o posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3225278
72 pages of people arguing about steak + a lesson in how not to attempt Ducasse.

Congrats on discovering the simple secret to amazing steaks every time! Hot cast iron pan sear and oven finish is really the only way I eat them anymore unless I happen to be at a bbq or whatnot. Your exact timing will depend on how hot your stove gets and how thick you like your steaks, but once you've got it down your cardiologist will curse you.

Cast Iron: It may outlive you, but that doesn't mean it won't try to kill you faster regardless.

Yeah, posted it in here since that thread is dead and the guy wasn't sure. Cuts of meat in the UK are different so I'm not entirely sure what sirloin is for the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirloin_steak

Has a helpful picture guide of where the meat comes from.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Since the chilli pepper thread got closed I'll ask here. I bought a collection of peppers. Some Jalapenos, Naga's, Scotch Bonnets and 2 mystery peppers, 1 of which I think is Serrano. I've now eaten one of each raw and honestly, even the scotch bonnets and naga's aren't anywhere near as spicy as I expect. I mean, for anyone who has had it, maybe a little hotter than encona west indian hot pepper sauce? Probably as strong as habanero tabasco. What could make these so weak?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Will try my best but iPhone photos and there aren't any except of the scotch bonnets and naga's left. The others weren't spicy but tastes nice so still got use in stuff. The scotch bonnets look identical to those from a google image search and vary in colour from green to red. Same as the Naga's. The guy in the shop used rubber gloves to bag both as well.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You're in the UK though? Your peppers just won't be as hot. But that's ok they will still taste good.

Well that sucks, but these nagas are actually perfect for how hot I want and flavour

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Having never had Kimchi, being a huge fan of pickled and spicy food and the fact my mum is about to pickle a load of stuff. Should I get her to pickle some Kimchi? Are there any unusual ingredients?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How important are the oysters? I absolutely cannot stand oysters or muscles (fish/oyster sauce I can do) but if it works without I'll give it a go or see what she thinks.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Nice to know. Now lets hope I actually like it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Found a shop that sells all sorts of chili peppers in the city I live in. Made my own chili powder using De Arbol, Ancho, Guajillo and another whose name escapes me at the minute. Hoping to make chili using the recipe in the now closed thread and have everything I need except for molasses. Will it make a big difference in how it tastes?

As a side note, drat does the chili pepper I've made smell incredible. Can't wait to use it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So I intend to make chili pretty soon using this powder I've made but it smells so good I need something reasonably simple I can make for breakfast using it. Any ideas? Its funny, my parents were both very skeptical and thought I was wasting my time until they walked into the kitchen and got hit by the smell

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So I'm going to make some proper chilli tomorrow largely using the OP of the closed threads recipe but due to who I'm making it for I'm thinking of altering it slightly. As I've never made it like this before I'd like some adivce on things in case I ruin it. I'm going to use Guinness since I've made quite a few beef stews and find stouts are good for it. Going to add onions and maybe a green pepper or 2 finely diced in addition and also possibly some Chipotle chili's in adobo sauce. Now, I've got a close approximation to blackstrap molasses but I'm wondering if that and the onions will make the chili too sweet? Also whether the Chipotle chili's in adobo sauce (I've never used these, bought them from a new shop thats opened and it says its a tomato and vinegar sauce) will go badly with the molasses? Everything else I intend to keep the same.

As an aside, I'm going to cook this later today for consumption tomorrow. I assume this is better than having it all prepared and just setting my oven to cook at the correct time for it to be ready?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

This is somewhat last minute but my dad wants a cleaver for his birthday. I've found various things within my price range but can anyone recommend what I should go for in terms of weight etc? He wants a wood handle I know that much. Unfortunately it has to come from online.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Not that it means anything but I'm looking to buy this in the UK if it causes problems.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Just for veggies or are we talking about a meat cleaver? Cause I think asian veggie cleavers are thinner and meat cleavers are heavier

A meat cleaver. I looked at santoku knives but he's definitely after a meat cleaver

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I don't remember the name or the ingredients but one of the previous NISCA recipes I think for hangover food was a Moroccan recipe involving tinned tomatoes, spicy sausage and eggs boiled in the mixture. Does anyone know the recipe or have something similar?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Thats perfect, thanks.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've started working 9-5 and was wondering what people do for breakfast? I want something that isn't simply cereal or toast but that I can prepare and eat in 10-15 minutes and is healthy and will stop me being hungry until lunch.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Crack the egg around the middle then just roll it on a hard surface so that it has cracks all over and the skin under the shell is lose. Then just pull at it somewhere so the skin breaks away from the egg and just peel it all off

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

slavedaeva posted:

I wanted to make a potato gratin, he's never heard it pronounced correctly and thought it sounded really tasty. So asked what it is, and I described it... the look on his face. I didn't ask how his mom and/or grandma made it, I'm scared to know. But this time, he said absolutely not. :(

Ask him what exactly the one he's eaten involved. There is probably some terrible step involved that is what disgusts him so much. Point out this terrible step won't be involved. Make him eat it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Is there any advantage to having an induction cook top, assuming you're using glass and not dumb enough to burn yourself

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've got a steak to eat tonight, but I'm wondering what to have with it. Thinking on a salad at least but open to ideas.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

SYFY HYPHY posted:

It's too late for any interesting potato dishes, but hasselbacks are pretty and easy to do. Serving anything other than potatoes next to a steak is pretty much a suicide mission, let alone salad.

I should have been a bit clearer, I'm after something to go with the steak and salad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

zerox147o posted:

My current favorite thing to go with a steak and salad is sweet potato hash browns. Just put a sweet potato through a grater and make hash browns as normal. Usually will throw some garlic salt on there around the time I actually start making the steak for a little extra flavor. I usually have a plate sized spread of hash browns nice and crisp as a base that the steak is served on top of, with a salad (walnuts, apples, mozzarella, and balsamic) in a bowl on the side. Hmm... I might have a steak in the freezer, may have to make this on Sunday.

Made the sweet potato hash browns it was really good. Could have done with being a bit crispier but its my first time properly making hash browns. Also finally managed to get a perfect crust on the steak. Had some very good crusts but tonights was perfect. I think putting pepper on after sticking it in the cast iron pan helped.