Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Darth Freddy posted:

Only other type I have easy accesses to is Vegetable oil and that seems to have a even lower point to it. Small town grocery store is not all that impressive.

Looked it up and the extra virgin olive oil I normally use lists its smoke point between 400 and 365º that seems pretty drat easy to hit.

So I either have to be extremely careful or try and find a substitution. Big thanks for the warning though I at least know what to watch out for if nothing else. The burn thing i know all to well, first time i tried to use a wok and make stir fry ended up a very painful experience. The rice was awesome though.

If the steak has a big line of fat on one side, you can either rest the steak on that until enough fat renders out to cook the steak in or slice a little bit off and lie that in the pan to render it out. The last few steaks I've not put any oil on, just done this and made sure the cast iron pan was evenly coated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

If you put a bit of liquid nitrogen on the hinge they'll pop right open.

I wish I could have liquid nitrogen in my kitchen. I think even had I a use I'd no longer have hands though.

As an aside, what calvin and hobbes is your av from or is it custom?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

To try to stay on topic: How much liquid nitrogen do you waste freezing and smashing things?

The entire collection of C&H on amazon for £56 I think has to be bought. I blame you for this.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I know the goulash talk was a few pages back, but I'm hoping to make it sometime this week. I see white wine tends to be favoured, is there any real amount I should aim for? Should I make it the entire cooking liquid or add water/stock too?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm thinking of getting a meat slicer for the bacon I've made and whatever else I might make in future. What should I go for?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

They're buying fresh feta cheese and crumbling it themselves

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Does anyone have a good jerk chicken recipe? I've had a look at a few online and they all vary by quite a bit

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm going to use a scotch bonnet I think so I'll only use a single one. Otherwise that looks good thanks. No reason I can't leave it over night right?

Jose fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Feb 3, 2012

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Other than rice can you suggest anything to eat it with?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

No idea if I'll get a response in time but its worth a shot. I need to go shopping and wondering what to get to make breakfast. I want something reasonably involved but fairly healthy before I go see a football match and sit in freezing cold snow for 2 hours

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Can anyone recommend a good dressing for salad? I'm getting a bit bored by vinaigrettes. I normally make something like olive oil, 50/50 cider/balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, dijon mustard and soemtimes crushed garlic. I don't want a caesar dressing though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gin and tonic once you get in from work every day. Just use half a lime per drink. How many limes exactly do you have?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

You can always just go with gin and the juice of 4 limes :v:.

Next time try a bottle of bitters and add a couple of dashes instead of lime. I prefer it a lot of the time and it'll keep a lot longer

Jose fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 18, 2012

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I would like to try proper carnitas but using that much lard at home is a bit ridiculous

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Scientastic posted:

The best thing is to jump straight in at the deep end. Next time you get the opportunity, order Andouillette. Don't ask what it is, just order it and eat it.

This advice is best taken when you know where in the world you are

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I was lucky enough to be with other people who ordered it Dordogne region and they boiled it after stuffing it with itself and according to those who ate it as if it hadn't been properly washed.

I'm trying not to give away what it is here I guess

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm having trouble parsing this sentence.

I was trying not specifically say what Andouilette is as to not give it away. It ended up pretty roundabout. Just that in certain parts of France even the locals aren't huge fans

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

On the corned beef question. Having never eaten the stuff because its impossible to get it here unless its tinned which looks amazingly wrong, I'm going to make some myself. How long will it last after the cure/boiling?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've got a tin of chipotle chili's in adobo sauce and was wondering if I use them for something whats a good way of storing them. Getting them requires me going out of my way a bit. I'm guessing there is a decent mark up compared to getting them in the US, they were around £3.50 here.

Any recommendations what I can use them in other than chilli?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Since UK and US cuts of beef are different, what specifically do I want when trying to get american brisket? I know that its not a totally different cut but I'm after the kind of thinner cuts that seem standard in the US. The cut I bought was round if any of this makes sense

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

SubG posted:

The cut right behind the front shank:

What are you planning on doing with it? If you're planning on smoking it you want what's sometimes called a `packer's cut', which includes a thick layer of fat, and includes a flat slab of meat usually called the flat of the brisket and a round lump of fattier meat usually called the point (although also sometimes called a deckle, although this seems to be something I only hear from old-school butchers anymore). If you're planning on making corned beef you can get away with just the flat of the brisket, sometimes (in the US) identified as a `cap off' brisket.

This is brilliant thanks. It'll be for further adventures making corned beef and pastrami mainly although I would like to smoke some this summer. I have a feeling I'll need to take this guide to the butcher though to get exactly what I want

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cook it like Keith Floyd and make sure you have 2 bottles of wine, so you finish drinking the first as the meal is finished being prepared

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Does anyone have a good barbecue sauce recipe and a good rub for smoking pork shoulder? For the sauce ideally I'd like one that is spicy and one that isn't

Jose fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 20, 2012

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

SubG that post was awesome thanks. I'll start there and adjust to taste for personal preference

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Make him eat the black poo poo as punishment

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

If your steak is thinner, salting it then leaving it in the fridge until its ready to cook can allow you to get a better crust while leaving the inside closer to being rare. If the steak is under an inch thick keeping it cold then only cooking it for around 90 seconds per side before resting should provide an adequate crust and have a rare steak.

Temperature of everything and actual thickness will vary how long it should stay cooking of course

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Not really sure where to ask this but, I'd like to grow my own chilli plants. A few different varieties I guess. How important is the time of year (am I too late?) and what sort of conditions do they generally need? I'm in England so they would definitely be grown indoors

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Phummus posted:

I used to live with a vietnamese family that just grew their chilis in pots indoors year round. You could do that if you have the space.

Owing to pretty crappy weather most of the year due to being in North England I think I'm going to buy pre-grown plants rather than try to germinate myself

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

SubG posted:

I've never grown hot peppers indoors, but I have grown them in planters and I've never found them to be that picky. Most (all?) hot peppers are perennials and will grow any time of year. About the only `trick' is that they seem to be calcium-hungry, so adding some bonemeal (or something similar) to the soil every once in awhile is a good idea---if they start looking kinda sad and wilty, this is probably the first thing you want to check. Assuming you're giving them enough water. I'm not master gardener and I just grown things for cooking (and not competition) so I'm willing to be convinced that I'm Doing It All Wrong and there's all kinds of crazy poo poo that you need to worry about to which I'm entirely oblivious.

Some peppers---like all fruiting plants---will flower but won't produce fruit unless they're pollinated. Since I've never grown 'em indoors I don't have any knowledge to lay down on this; maybe ask in the gardening thread.

I'll buy a few plants then and give it a go. Worst that happens is they just provide some colour to the room. As for the pollination I read that all thats really needed is brushing a finger/cotton bud around all the flowers if they won't have access to insects that do it for you.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Grill them whole and shove them down your gullet after dipping them in romesco sauce. Chase with copious amounts of wine.

I think you've just given me nightmarish heartburn posting this suggestion.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Do you change anything from that? It looks incredible but I can feel the pain already.

Nothing that can't be solved easily enough though

Jose fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 3, 2012

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Good, because this stuff is too strong on its own, but it tastes like it would be great if it was just cut a little bit.
Maybe I should try Vegemite

I don't like the stuff but if you've never had it before, a common mistake is using too much. You only want a very thin layer on whatever you're eating

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Nifty posted:

What are cool things to do with cauliflower?

Mash it with some other vegetable or by itself. Use some salt and lots of pepper if its by itself

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Fry it in butter with some black pepper and paprika

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I feel this is a dumb question, but what is the best way to rehydrate chilli peppers? The bags I have say to cover in boiling water in a bowl then cover that for 15 minutes. I tried it and they turned it mush as I expected. Do I just soak them in cold water until they're rehydated?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Well fortunately I needed the liquid so just blended them and added. I'll try that next time.

Also I miss Maradona

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

gravity I think linked a guide to the taste/shapes of chilli peppers. Does anyone know which it was?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've bought some Sichuan peppercorns but I've never cooked with them before. I know roughly what they're like from various threads here but does anyone have a fairly simple/easy to prepare recipe that makes use of them so they're noticable?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've got some fresh yeast from the bakers but have way too much. The recipe called for 15g and I've got 200. How long does it last before I need to toss it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'll never bake enough to make use of it. I'll see how it goes though.

I've got pork shoulder being smoked and bbq sauce that I'm reducing a bit. Unfortunately its way too sweet. I followed SubG's recipe mainly from page 139 of this thread but I think I added too much molasses. Whats a good way of recovering it? It tastes quite nice otherwise.