Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

I like turtles posted:

What can you guys tell me about Polish food, beyond perogi and sausage? I've got a new restaurant across the street opening soon, "The Polish Cottage", and I want to get some idea of what I'm looking at.

Will it be Polish owned and operated? This will probably make a huge difference in the quality of the food.

The pierogi and sausage will come in roughly a bazillian different forms - namely fresh and smoked for the sausage, then sweet cheese or not for the pierogi. Their dill pickle soup and czarnina will most likely be scrumptious. Kapusta is a staple - it's essentially a slightly more sweet sauerkraut. Potatoes are huge in Polish cuisine, so there will be a lot of different methods there as well. Also expect great golumpki (as mentioned - stuffed cabbage), and crepes of several varieties.

All of the Polish restaurants around me also do a "Hungarian Pancake," which is a thick potato pancake topped with a heavily paprika'd goulash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

I like turtles posted:

I was driving by a week ago and saw some folks inside doing work. I turned in to chat with them and they both had pretty heavy accents.
The name on the liquor license application I see online is Monika Glowacka-Musial, which sounds pretty Polish to me.

I have high hopes, Tucson has been sorely lacking in central/eastern European food for the last few years, and good central/eastern European food for quite a bit longer than that.

My first post came off overly pretentious, sorry about that. And you're right, sounds pretty Polish; I'm excited for you! Before moving to a predominately Polish town, my only experience with the food was Stouffer's and Mrs. T's plug and play frozen meals, blech. Enjoy!

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Nevvy Z posted:

Here's a dumb question! How do I start eating green vegetables.

For years they made me literally puke in my mouth on contact, but recently I've tried them and liked them; I guess I'm a grownup now. But I have no idea how I should be getting my green beans, asparagus, brocolli etc. Are chedder soups really that bad? Is frozen really a problem? Just steam them all the time? Should I make this a thread? Please send help!

Grilled asparagus finished with a touch of lemon juice or some balsamic is loving amazing.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
I roasted some tops the other night with some other root vegetables, and it was a small disaster - they turned into asparagus mush in your mouth. :(

Didn't really think that one through.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Why not try deglazing with some beef or chicken stock, and building your sauce from there?

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

CzarChasm posted:

I love this bastard:
http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-V-Blade-Mandoline-Slicer/dp/B001THGPDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321997389&sr=8-1

OXO Good Grips Mandoline Slicer, comes with a bunch of blades that I'll probably never use, super easy to swap blades out (or remove for cleaning), and a nice locking, thickness dial. All for $40.

Oh, and looks like replacement blades are only $5 a pop through the OXO website.

I can second this, used it just last night. Easy to break down and wash, easy to use.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
I just started dry aging my steaks in the fridge for a day before cooking, and holy cow what a difference. While talking with a co-worker, she mentioned that she does the same thing with pork chops, which caught me off guard. Is dry aging beneficial - or alternately, dangerous - with meats other than beef?

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
I have two quick questions about salmon, or I suppose, thick skin-on fish filets in general.

1. How do I know if I've scaled them enough? I can sit there for a couple of minutes with the back of my knife and almost constantly remove scales, eventually just saying "gently caress it" and throwing it in the pan. I don't necessarily have scales in the pan or even noticeably on the plate when they're done, but the fact that I can scrape and scrape and scrape and keep removing them is throwing me for a loop.

2. Is there a general consensus on how to start the filet? I keep hearing conflicting methods on the temperature, first side down, etc. Right now I slit the back three or four times to get through the skin, heat my pan to medium, add oil, and put the filet in skin-down first then flip after about 4 minutes (or until the opaque-ness starts creeping up).

I've tried going in flesh side down first, both letting it sear in oil until it releases, or immediately moving it around. It seems like every time I go in flesh first - whether moving it or not - it'll stick to the pan and just become decimated when I try to flip. If I go skin-down, I have a hard time getting a nice crispy skin. Is my pan just not hot enough?

Ideally I'd like a crispy skinned, crusty topped, medium salmon filet, and can't quite get there. Help me GWS, you're my only hope!

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Psychobabble posted:

Scale it until no more scales come off, rinsing it often under running water. Then leave it skin down on paper towels while you heat a heavy pan on medium high until it's hot but not smoking. Apply a liberal amount of oil to the pan and season the fish. Place it skin down in your pan and hold the fish flat against the pan for a minute (this ensures even contact and crisp skin.) Cook it 90% of the way to your desired temp, then flip it and let it sit on the other side for a few seconds. Consume.

Gorgeous, thanks!

Fo3 posted:

What type of pan?
Possible losing too much temp after you put cold fillets in it, if it's a thin pan and small stove element/burner.
Need thick base stainless steel or nice heavy cast iron if the stove isn't up to the task of putting out enough heat to bring the pan up to heat again quick enough.

Yeah, it's a thick steel saute pan from Ikea:

Uneven contact and too low of heat sound like the problems.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

wormil posted:

Chop them up, add 3.5% salt by weight, put in a jar to ferment until you can't stand to wait any longer. Then puree and enjoy.

These lids make it a lot easier.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CYM653J/

Sorry for this necroquote, but I wanted a bit of clarity here because we're going to have a ton of serrano, jalapeno, and habanero peppers this year as well.

1 lb of peppers would equal out to 0.035 lbs (~0.5 oz) of salt? Is my math right on that ratio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
thank you Casu, SubG, and of course wormil!