Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

So I baked a kombocha squash and I was thinking of using it to make a "healthy" bastardized version of pumpkin pie using the squash and graham crackers. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Is there a smoothie thread? Or does anyone have recommendations for smoothie ideas? I just made one with a banana, greek yogurt, vanilla whey powder, milk and kombucha squash with a lil ginger/cinnamon/allspice sprinkled in there. Pretty good, prettttay good.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Kimchi is awesome!

Does anyone have some bomb recipes for me to make on Rosh Hashanah? I'd love a kugel recipe or two.

edit: I'm koo-koo for kugel krisp.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Take the ice cream, put the carton in a ziplock bag. Seal it. Put the ziplocked ice cream in a slightly larger ziplock, fill with water, place in freezer a few hours before leaving. Then put frozen ice cream in a cooler with a few ice packs. This is the best way.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

So I just got some xathan and guar gum, anything I should experiment with?

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

How do you feel about emulsions?

I never met them

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Zedlic posted:

I'm attending a potluck with colleagues in a couple of weeks, and the theme is pumpkin. I want to skip the traditional pumpkin dishes and go for something either not very traditional or completely crazy out of left field stuff.

Google insists on giving me pumpkin pie and eight thousand variations thereof, anyone here have ideas for unconventional pumpkin dishes?

Thai pumpkin curry is bomb as gently caress!

You can do a stuffed pumpkin, you basically scoop all the goo out of the pumpkin and stuff it with vegetables/meats and bake it for a lil while.

Pumpkin ice cream is out of this world.

I like pumpkin in my omelets, but I have a feeling I might in the minority and I don't see how well that'd work at a potluck.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Does anyone here ever buy meats from an Asian market? I normally stick to sauces and dry goods there, but mine tends to stock things like pork belly that can be otherwise difficult to find. Should I be nervous about the freshness/quality of the meats they sell?

I personally care about where my meat comes from. I have no evidence for why I believe this, so if someone wants to step in and educate me, that'd be awesome, but I just get this feeling that they source the meat from farms that don't raise/slaughter their animals in what I would consider to be an ethical, sustainable or responsible manner.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

What's some awesome produce I should be looking around for at this time of year? Any recommendations for perhaps lesser known "exotic" produce? And what to do with it?

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Luuq posted:

So I'm organizing a sort of student dinner party for 25-30 people with an African theme . I'm in charge of the food but I have no idea what to make. The dinner has a 3course menu (starters, main dish, dessert). I could of course google some stuff (actually did it already) but I'm checking here if anyone has any experience with making African themed food (doesn't actually have to be African food, as long as it fits the theme) or has any ideas what to make. Thanks! :)

Moroccan cuisine is BOMB!!!

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

SimianNinja posted:

Also, my wife likes to leave in a pizza stone 24/7 for some reason, so if the issue is restricted air/temperature flow or something that could be a culprit...
The pizza stone helps to keep the oven at a more constant temperature when you open /close the oven during baking.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

wafflesnsegways posted:

What? Of course food you make can be bad for you. There's a weird strain underlying GWS where people get aggressive whenever anyone mentions health considerations.

I've had high cholesterol since I was a teenager, and saturated fat is closely connected to cholesterol. Coconut milk has a really high amount of saturated fat, about half that of butter. I think that's good to know.

Dietary cholesterol is not a factor for cholesterol levels in your body.

http://www.ravnskov.nu/myth3.htm

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

hosed up pretty bad last night, made rice pudding and in my sleepy-high state of mind I went to add pumpkin spice mix and I assumed it had a sprinkler lid on it.

It didn't and way too much spice got dumped in, instead of me removing as much as I could and calling it quits, I decided to see what kind of stuff I had in the house to make it more palatable. Nothing worked, I wasted food, I feel sick cause I made myself eat some of it before I threw it out. UGH!!! Tell me that you guys have done similar stuff too, right?

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Chicken pot pie

My three favorite things! OH BOY!

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Why not keep butter in the fridge? I didn't realize people keep it out, why?!

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

I'd love it if someone posted some of their favorite kugel recipes, but not potato kugel, that poo poo sucks.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Would it be easier to take the skin off of a butternut squash before or after cooking?

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Attempt one: Acorn squash seeds, wash, dry, place in toaster oven at about 200F for like 40 minutes or some poo poo, until they browned. End result = chewy lots of fiber, doesn't taste like pepitas that I would buy from the store.

Attempt two: large (not pie) pumpkin seeds, wash, dry, place in skillet on medium heat with a tiny bit of canola oil and garlic powder. They browned up and same thing, very fibrous when I eat them. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Oxford Comma posted:

I always roasted my seeds in the oven. Give that a go.

Yeah, my toaster oven is just a mini oven, I don't think it would make a difference, should I bake them at a higher temperature for less time?

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Anyone have a good chicken jerky recipe that'll work without a dehydrator? I have an oven though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Any reason you want chicken over, say, a less likely source of salmonella?

Nope. Beef is fine too.