Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Yeah, raw fish is generally pretty safe. Most sushi places use flash frozen fish that isn't really different from what you'd be getting. If there's an upscale supermarket around, you can talk to the people behind the fish counter and tell them what you have in mind, and they'll probably help you out.

Tuna is one of the easiest fish to assess, because you can tell the freshness by a quick glance at the color. It should be a deep, rich red or red-purple, not greyish or browning. Just buy it frozen - it came to the supermarket that way anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
OK, I just ordered a pound of vanilla beans. Coming up, I'm making vanilla extract, vanilla ice cream, vanilla sugar, and brewing a vanilla porter. So that should use up about 1/10 of the beans in a pound. What else should I do?

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I was gonna be polite and not say anything.

I just got an email from the vanilla bean people saying that they're throwing in a quarter pound of tahitian vanilla beans for free, so I will be very rich in vanilla next week. In the spirit of the new GWS, I'll try to document what I make and throw up a thread.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Hmm - usually salting ice/water is intended to cool something down fast. Water makes better contact than ice, and so it's better at cooling. By salting the ice/water, you can have a liquid that's colder than 32 degrees. But will it keep something cold longer? I don't know.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Buy it frozen and move it from the freezer to the fridge tomorrow morning.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
You can also do it in a bowl with a cake mixer. I always add a little bit of oil at at time, because that's how I learned to do it. Not sure how much that matters.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I paid a little extra for the full tang Victorinox, and I wish I hadn't. Mostly because it's a wooden handle. Never buy a knife with a wooden handle.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
The second week I had the knife, I used it to clean a fish, and I can still smell it in the wood handle. The wood has also warped slightly, so the blade is just slightly loose in the handle. Maybe there are other wood-handled knives that are better, but I'm not happy with my wood-handled Victorinox.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
This recipe for Irish car bomb cupcakes is delicious, and its a funny concept on top of that. Guinness chocolate cupcakes with a whisky ganache center and Bailey's frosting.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Lyssavirus posted:

I know I need me some more sesame oil, which should be nice to fry tofu in, right?

Sesame oil is really strongly flavored, especially compared to other oils. You want to use it in small quantities or it can be overpowering. I wouldn't use it for frying.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
What? Of course food you make can be bad for you. There's a weird strain underlying GWS where people get aggressive whenever anyone mentions health considerations.

I've had high cholesterol since I was a teenager, and saturated fat is closely connected to cholesterol. Coconut milk has a really high amount of saturated fat, about half that of butter. I think that's good to know.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

heeebrew posted:

Dietary cholesterol is not a factor for cholesterol levels in your body.

http://www.ravnskov.nu/myth3.htm

That's true, but we were talking about saturated fat, not dietary cholesterol.

I'm sure there's a shoddy contrarian study out there saying saturated fat doesn't affect cholesterol, but I'm going to trust the overwhelming consensus in the medical community, and my own personal experience, and say that it does.

Edit: ^^^thanks mediaphage.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Stone Soup did a video of a side-by-side comparison of with vinegar and without. It looks like it made a difference.

But they do recommend toweling the vinegar water off the egg to get rid of vinegar taste, so it's got a downside too.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Truffle oil has a harsh metallic flavor and a gross aftertaste that can really easily overpower your food. (And it's not really made from truffles - its the "artificial fruit flavors" of fancy food.).

It's a trick. It sounds great, but it isn't. Someone like your date would likely not be impressed by it.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
You can make your own cheese and charcuterie. For drinks, you can make your own mead or hard cider with just a little equipment, bitters and extracts for cocktails... all kinds of things.

Plus, whatever you like now, you can probably nerd out over. Like coffee? Roast your own beans!

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Can someone direct me to the real no-knead bread recipe? I used this one: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html which is evidently bullshit because I just got to the "take out and fold a couple times" step, and I had to laugh because the dough was literally a liquid and thus not amenable to folding. I tried to salvage it but gently caress knows. Help!

There's also an amazing "use just enough flour to keep dough from sticking" line. This poo poo is basically glue, I've never seen such a mess from bread dough.

Folding (rather than kneading) actually works with very wet doughs. Check out this video. You probably don't need to fold at as much as this person in the video does - each fold strengthens the dough quite a bit. Fold it a few times, then let it rest. After five or ten minutes, it should be noticeably firmer.

Also, make sure to give the flour time to hydrate. After you mix everything together, before folding the dough, walk away for fifteen minutes - that alone will make the dough stronger and easier to work with.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Gerblyn posted:

He just chopped them up! :mad:

(Thanks, I had a feeling actually mincing them literally was overdoing it.)

From left to right, minced, diced, and chopped:

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
So did I, for a long time. And of course, people don't always use terms like mince and chop as technical terms.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
So for Christmas, we ordered a big goose, but it turns out fewer people are coming than we thought. So my plan now is to confit the legs, and eat those some other time, and just serve the rest of the goose at Christmas.

My question is: once I take the legs off, can I just roast the rest of the goose as if it was a whole bird? Or is there a better way to cook just the breast and wings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

My sister is cooking duck breast for Christmas and the recipe calls for carving off the skin and fat before cooking (which sounds dumb to me, but whatever). She's agreed to toss the skin and fat in a ziploc for me so it doesn't go to waste. These are big Magret breasts with a nice thick fat pad. What's the best way to render them down? Just cook it in a pan like bacon? I've never dealt with just the skin and fat before, I usually just pour off and save whatever fat comes off the breast or whole bird I've cooked.

I render duck fat in water. Put the fat in the smallest pot you have, add a bit of water to cover it, or maybe a bit less, and simmer as low as you can, uncovered.

The water ensures that the fat doesn't get much hotter than boiling temp and doesn't burn.

When the water is all boiled off, the liquid fat will go from hazy to brilliantly clear, and the bubbles will get tiny. If there is still unrendered fat in the pot, add more water. If not, strain the liquid fat through a cheesecloth, and you're done.