Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Do we have a soup thread? I'm going to make chicken noodle tomorrow and may document the process to get one started.

Will just be doing celery, carrot, onion, oregano, chicken broth, a small rotisserie chicken, and a box of those short cut noodles. Simple stuff, but it got cold and rainy in the northeast and that sounds like soup to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Kenning posted:

Don't get the stuff from the supermarket. Go to a decent sushi joint, worst case scenario you'll be out like $15. Try tuna, salmon, aaaaaand idk. Unagi (eel). Get sashimi or nigiri. Dip the fish in a little soy sauce, not too much. Use wasabi at your discretion. I hope you enjoy it!

Don't feel compelled to make it into The Soup Thread. It can just as successfully be a well-documented thread about how you make chicken noodle soup.

But then where will I put butternut squash soup! And cream of potato soup! God I love fall :allears:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Gourd of Taste posted:

Yeah if you cook chicken for eight hours it's going to end up in some kind of disorienting texture hell, please don't do that to animal-meats. Also if you decide to do that beef thing (that's your call, I'm not the boss of your kitchen) strongly consider taking the time to brown the beefs before slow cooking them, that way it tastes like food.

One place I'll disagree with on this point is when I make a bastardized version of jambalaya in which I just throw whatever leftover steak, chicken, and sausage I have from the week into a slow cooker with rice and cook it for 6-8 hours until it is some weird looking meat paste that is utterly delicious and my college hangover cure of choice.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Gourd of Taste posted:

My college hangover cure of choice was corned beef hash from a can, I have no room to critique your mistakes.

I would make it in huge batches and store it in those half gallon cookie dough tubs to be spooned out and microwaved on a drunken whim. Simpler days.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Steakandchips posted:

You need to buy less lovely pans, i.e. not 50 cent pans.

Buy this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/96225800/

$3 nonstick pan that won't warp on you.

Also if you keep an eye on Amazon sales you can get nicer pots and pans on the cheap. I've got a bunch of Calphalon stuff that retails $80+ for $10-15 just by watching the sales. Beware this may lead to you have TOO much stuff over time/lack of willpower.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Jose posted:

I did a sirloin last night. Not marbled like some of those in the steak thread, had the butcher cut it about 1-1.5 inches thick. It was thickest at the streak of fat on one side. I made oven wedges, stuck the cast iron pan in the oven for maybe 30 minutes total before it went on the (electric) hob. A little bit of beef dripping then just on the side of fat until it was going crunchy and there was a lot of rended fat. 3 minutes per side, onto a plate into the 200^C oven for 3 minutes then 5 minutes rested. Absolutely perfect in terms of medium rare. Only issue I'd say is while there was a very nice crust, it looked a bit burned in places? Maybe this was because I peppered the steak before frying but it didn't really affect the flavour. Was the best steak I've ever eaten though.

I salted it about 2 hours before cooking

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3225278
72 pages of people arguing about steak + a lesson in how not to attempt Ducasse.

Congrats on discovering the simple secret to amazing steaks every time! Hot cast iron pan sear and oven finish is really the only way I eat them anymore unless I happen to be at a bbq or whatnot. Your exact timing will depend on how hot your stove gets and how thick you like your steaks, but once you've got it down your cardiologist will curse you.

Cast Iron: It may outlive you, but that doesn't mean it won't try to kill you faster regardless.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I like turtles posted:

I want to make pasta with standard red meat sauce. I have some zucchini and crookneck squash I'd like to use. Can I work them into a tomato based meat sauce somehow? Grate them? Worried about waterlogging the sauce, I suppose I could grate them, salt them to suck out moisture then add to the sauce for some additional bulk?

Grate the zucchini, add a tsp or two of salt, let it sit for ~10 minutes. Wring it out with paper towels or a colander or by hand or whatever. Throw it in a frying pan over medium heat to crisp it up a little bit further and then toss it in your sauce. Would probably work if you just chopped it into quartered slices as well depending on your texture preferences. There is a lot of water in zucchini, but you can manage to get it out if you're patient.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

squigadoo posted:

stuff

I pretty much live on pasta and it is the bees knees. As long as you can keep mixing it up, it really is a great and cheap food to base your existence on. Pasta, bread, and whatever meat was on manager's special that day make for a great dinner. Living literally down the street from the supermarket helps that.
And adding to your cheapness points for meat, the manager's specials are great if you plan on cooking them that day or the following. It is all the stuff that is nearing its sell-by and will taste just fine. Tomorrow is a work from home day, so I will swing by the supermarket first thing in the morning and do a run on the meat case doing just that.

My local Shoprite every month or two will run a $2/pound special on butter. It cannot be overstated that you need to pounce on these. The stock will run out fairly quick and there is no way of knowing how long it will be before the sale comes again. You shouldn't question whether or not to jump on it, but rather how much salted vs unsalted you want to get.

Adding to the original question of basic stuff to keep in the kitchen, go find a local asian supermarket. You can do a lot with rice, various soy sauce types, ginger, oyster sauce, rice noodles, etc, etc. Before I go grocery shopping I use this as the fridge cleaning stir fry kit. Just go into your fridge, find everything that is getting old, dice it, and stir fry. They're all quite cheap to keep on hand too. Pretty much: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Drunken_Noodles

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I'm going to make some pulled pork sandwiches for a football party this weekend. Most of the recipes I see are along the lines of:

The party is going to be a come and go thing throughout the day, so I'd like to keep the slow cooker on low once the BBQ sauce is mixed in to keep the meat warm/non-toxic. BBQ sauce can be kind of think, though.

My intuition tells me to reserve some of the beef broth and drippings and add that in if things get too thick/dry in the slow cooker.

Is this correct? And is there anything else wrong with my plan?

Whenever I do pulled pork I douse the bottom of the slow cooker in a bit of Worcestershire, before giving the pork a spattering of it as well. Pack the skin tight with brown sugar, throw a quartered onion in there, and set it on low for ~8 hours.

After it is done I take it out and shred it onto a baking sheet that goes into a 200F oven while I pour the drippings into a sauce pan. Add some ketchup, salt, red pepper, black pepper, garlic powder, and reduce for a little while. Add some corn syrup to thicken it up if you are impatient and don't want to wait it out. I may be forgetting something, I have it written down somewhere- but truth is with those drippings you really don't have to do much to it.

Return everything to the slow cooker and set to Keep Warm or whatever you've got and call it a day.

Potato buns make the sandwich even better!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I think it was just I didn't know how long to wait until something starts happening. It's been about an hour and a little bit of the stuff I'm supposed to skim off is starting to accumulate, so I guess I just need to be patient.

I find the best days to make stock are when you have 8 other things to do and are going to forget you even had it going until you walk into the kitchen and realize the place smells amazing. So yeah, don't worry about things happening after an hour.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Gaj posted:

Im starting a quest to find the finest sources of beef available. Do any of you have any recommendations for a good butchers within 20 miles of Albany, New York?

Add a 0 to that and come on down to Arthur Ave.

Have you tried Fresh Direct? When I'm strapped for time and know I have something coming up, I just put an order in with them and their tri-state offerings are quiet good. Not the "finest source of beef available", but it might be a good place to check for convenience/as a benchmark for what is local.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

davey4283 posted:

I'm thinking about making veal parmigiana tonight for dinner. I have an authentic Italian grocery store/deli right by my house that I can pick up all of the ingredients. I found this recipe which I think sounds pretty good:
code:
    * 4 veal cutlets, weighing 1/3 pound each.
    * 4 thin slices fresh grana (this is the young, and therefore relatively soft version of Parmigiano;
    * you may substitute a mild cheddar or Gruyere if need be)
    * 4 thin slices prosciutto
    * 1/2 cup unsalted butter
    * 2 eggs, beaten
    * 1/2 cup finely ground breadcrumbs, toasted in the oven
    * 1/2 cup tomato sauce, heated
    * Salt
    * Freshly ground pepper
    * A little butter for the baking dish

I think the prosciutto will add a nice touch. What I'm looking for are ideas for sides.. Maybe asparagus? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

There is a spinach salad I like to do as a side for chicken/etc parm. Basically just heat about a tbsp of butter and a tbsp of olive oil over med heat before adding ~16oz (whatever size package, really) spinach. Keep moving and wilt it before adding a half lemon worth of juice, a handful of sliced almonds, and either a sprinkling of garlic salt/powder or a healthy dose of minced garlic + kosher salt. Stir, cooking the garlic a bit before removing from heat and adding crumbled feta on top.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

davey4283 posted:

About how long should it take to cook? I've made spinach salads before but have never never cooked it. What should the consistency be like? I'm feeling creative so I'm down to try it.

From putting the spinach in the pan to crumbling the feta and serving is probably 5 minutes? It's just long enough to wilt the spinach and heat through the garlic/almonds.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Kenning posted:

So I'm gonna be running the show at Thanksgiving this year and my girlfriend has requested I make something vegetarian too. Eggs are fine, so I suppose I could do a quiche of some sort, but I was wondering if y'all had any good ideas for hearty Thanksgiving-ish vegetarian main dishes to serve alongside turkey etc. I really dig fennel bulbs, so something with fennel would be awesome.

I'm going to be making a roasted butternut squash and apple soup as the vegetarian option this year.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Oil the skin, and plonk into a hot dry pan. Leave until the skin goes crispy. About five minutes is usually fine in my experience, but it's been a while, so take that with a pinch of salt. Serve on top of something.

Possibly over a chorizo and bean stew. Or mashed potato with plenty of cream, some peas and your parsley sauce. Or whatever you fancy.

If your heart is really set on poaching it, remove the skin first.

Don't use a cast iron pan, though, as it will make everything taste/smell like fish for a while. (unless you have a cast iron pan designated for fish)

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Does anyone have that Hot Wing Sauce recipe that has been thrown around GWS? I made some a while ago, it was really delicious and I want to make some more. It was in the Hot Wings thread but I don't have archives to look it up. It's also not on the wiki. I think Iron Chef Ricola was the last person to post it- anyone care to help me out on this?

If they're just basic buffalo wings, then you probably are looking at melting down about a stick of butter with a cup of Frank's Red Hot. I think the ratio I have written down somewhere for mild wings is 3oz butter :: 1/4 cup hot sauce. Scale to the amount of wings you're making, taste, and then adjust the hotness. Oh and add a pinch of salt + as much minced garlic as you find bearable (and then add more garlic) while that poo poo is simmering.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Soulex posted:

I have a potato soup recipe that I am proud of. It's nothing fancy, and or original, but it is cheap, easy, healthy, and a good cold weather food. I was curious on how I can submit it to the wiki, and if it is too generic a recipe to bother with it's own thread.

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Contributing

There are soup threads now and again that will get a few pages. Of you want to make an addition to the wiki and put a solid OP together in the process, go for it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I'm hosting Christmas for my extended family this year. If not turkey, what else would be a good main course?

I'm a big fan of Christmas ham for the big centerpiece of the table/main course. Though I think I'm just going to make like 4 lasagnas for the real bulk of the food this year.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

bartolimu posted:

:words:

Feel like I need to print this on a notecard and tape it to the cheese drawer in the fridge.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

cereal eater posted:

So what do i do with all the grease from all the bacon? :)

Cornbread!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Jose posted:

I should have been a bit clearer, I'm after something to go with the steak and salad.

My current favorite thing to go with a steak and salad is sweet potato hash browns. Just put a sweet potato through a grater and make hash browns as normal. Usually will throw some garlic salt on there around the time I actually start making the steak for a little extra flavor. I usually have a plate sized spread of hash browns nice and crisp as a base that the steak is served on top of, with a salad (walnuts, apples, mozzarella, and balsamic) in a bowl on the side. Hmm... I might have a steak in the freezer, may have to make this on Sunday.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Jose posted:

Made the sweet potato hash browns it was really good. Could have done with being a bit crispier but its my first time properly making hash browns. Also finally managed to get a perfect crust on the steak. Had some very good crusts but tonights was perfect. I think putting pepper on after sticking it in the cast iron pan helped.

Glad you enjoyed ... even if you support that thug of a manager :argh:! Grabbed some sweet potatoes and will be doing the same on Sunday.

Tomorrow I'm going to try roasting a chicken stuffed with apple and cinnamon, with the skin rubbed down with butter and rosemary on a bed of red potatoes and carrots. Should turn out okay? Never tried this flavor combination on a chicken before. Well not a roast at least.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I started making stock last night after dinner, and someone turned the stove off overnight at some point. Chicken carcass was sitting in the pot with a lid for ~6+ hours. Is this redeemable or is this going to get anyone involved sick?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

I wouldn't use it.

That's what I thought :(
House smells great at least.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Very Strange Things posted:

The problem is that nobody (accept Ruhlman) ever wants to come out and recommend that someone practice poor food safety. I can't disagree with FGR or Wroughtirony, because they're ultimately right, but I will say that I would probably heat and use the questionable stock in both of the recent queries -but almost definitely the one that sat covered for some period of time that was less than 6 hours. You have to consider that it probably took an hour or more to even get down to a "dangerous" temperature.

I can't advocate it but I'd go ahead and use it for myself and serve it to anyone that didn't have a good lawyer.

I played it safe and tossed it. I still have some leftover stock from the last time I made chicken in the freezer, and I was going to just make a small batch of soup with the leftover meat from the that bird. Wasn't a huge deal, house smelled great from the simmering that did occur, and I am quite proud of my clean record when it comes to getting people sick from my food.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Joborgzorz posted:

I am addicted to chinese buns. I think the real name for the ones I mean is baozi. (They're filled with pork or beef but also some sweet options) How do I make these wondrous things at home?

Something like this:
http://www.orthogonalthought.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/dsc_9064_550.jpg

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Home_Baked_Char_Siu_Bao_%28Hum_Bao%29

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

I've come into possession of a boneless pork loin. No seasoning on it. I don't have a grill.

What can I do with it? The only fresh herb I have is parsley, but I have a pretty nicely stocked spice/dried herb cabinet, lemon, garlic, etc. I'm looking for something more buttery/herby than Asian. Thanks!

Pulled pork! Douse (dowse?) in Worchestershire sauce, rub in brown sugar, throw in a crock pot with some onion/garlic, and set it on low for ~8 hours.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Any tips to making homemade ravioli? I found what looks to be a pretty easy recipe to make the dough, going to do some sort of cheese filling with meat/spinach/onion/and? I was also looking at the gws entry for zucchini ravioli and that looked pretty good

Give yourself a lot of time, folding ravioli by hand takes loving forever.
Don't overdo it on the filling or you will pop them.
Roll the pasta as thin as you can-- every bite is two layers. Keep in mind how thin you roll when deciding how much filling to use as well.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Good call, I most definitely would have made it too thick. Any particular fillings you enjoy? Going to be cooking for my mom and sister who both don't like meat too much (but I do :()

I tend to just do ricotta, parmesan, and spinach. Last week I had grilled chicken, mushroom, and mozzarella. Then again, I rarely make the stuff because I just end up making angel hair and throwing some olive oil on it rather than but the effort into making ravioli. Def a "I want to impress someone" meal.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

Some stock king or queen will come in here and correct me, but I don't see any salt in your ingredient list, shouldn't there be some?

You can leave your stock under/un-salted and ready to be adjusted later depending on the use of the stock as well as personal taste. Personally, I also don't salt mine anymore than may have been used on the chicken in the first place.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mister Macys posted:

I'm making a pasta dish, and supplying a loaf of braided challa bread for our Christmas dinner.
I just want an opinion, of whether all of these ingredients together are okay, or overkill, and to skip one or two.

Pasta type:

(dry) Squid ink spaghetti

Add ons:

Olive oil
Sun dried tomatoes
Capers (brined)
Prosciutto
Parmigiano Reggiano
Anchovies (in E.V.O.O.)

I dunno:

Black Pepper

I'd probably drop the anchovies just because not everyone likes them, and some people hate them vehemently. If you know the crowd would like them, that's fine I guess. Other reason I'd drop the anchovies, though, is that I feel like this whole dish might be a little too salty? The actual flavor of the dish might get a little lost in there.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mister Macys posted:

Yeah, I was worried about the saltiness too.

My family doesn't mind them, but looking at it, everything else is salt-preserved too (except the tomatoes). Thanks.

Everything else on that list looks delicious, anchovies is the one controversial bit that people might not like. Just figure that even if the room is okay with them, its still the least appetizing bit to remove to bring the saltiness down.

Time for my own question. I'm short on oven time and have been cycling loaves of bread since 9am. Cheesecake is going to be the last thing in. Recipe (from here) calls for 12m at 500F, followed by 2 hours without opening the door at 200F. If I leave for my afternoon family thing and just set me oven to turn off after the 2 hours and let it sit for 2-3 hours in the off oven will I be okay? Figure I run a slight risk of overcooking it, but could set the timer for like 110 minutes instead of 120 to compensate. Will stop in to throw it in the fridge overnight before going to the evening family thing.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

Why am I not finding jack googling for "puddle machine"? What are you talking about here?

Tepid puddle machine = sous vide.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SubG posted:

The recipe in the wiki is from The Silver Spoon and it's pretty drat good.

This lasagna is amazing and the reason I bought the Silver Spoon. I tend to make it with thin fresh pasta, go very light on the sauces, and make it ~8 layers. People give a face when there isn't ricotta or some other cheese slathered throughout their lasagna, but goddamn is it good.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Jose posted:

I wish I could have liquid nitrogen in my kitchen. I think even had I a use I'd no longer have hands though.

As an aside, what calvin and hobbes is your av from or is it custom?

Image is custom, text is from:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

BRJohnson posted:

My girlfriend and I are making each other gifts for our anniversary, and the only gift I ultimately thought would be practical (for her), feasible (for me to make), and romantic is... delicious heart shaped cookies. I've never baked anything before ever so that makes it all the more thoughtful if I can pull it off. I'm searching the thread for a great chocolate chip cookie recipe but if anybody has any favorites I'd love to see it (I need to be able to do it within like 4 hours as I have class in the morning and then I'm going to dinner with her in the evening). Also I am curious as to how to make the cookies maintain a heart shape as they bake. Thanks!

*Not the right thread but anybody have any experience with love letters, that usually work out well? I'm generally not nearly as romantic as I think I am, but it seems appropriate.

My chocolate chip cookies:

* 2 sticks butter
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 2 eggs
* 2 tsp vanilla
* 2 1/4+ cups flour
* 1+ tsp baking soda
* 1 1/2 tsp salt
* 2 cups chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, stirring well. Whisk together dry ingredients in a separate large bowl. Begin adding dry ingredients to wet, adding about 1/4 of the dry ingredients at a time while slowing mixing with the wet to form a nice dough. Mix only as much as needed to combine ingredients, avoid over stirring. Once all dry ingredients are incorporated into the dough, add chocolate chips and gently fold them throughout the batter. Cover bowl and leave in fridge a minimum of 30 minutes, up to overnight. Spoon out 1 tbsp size balls of dough onto a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes at 375F.

They do expand a bit while baking, though. If you want to get something that will stay a pretty uniform shape that might better suited for hearts, you could try to make these: http://julytomato.tumblr.com/post/13160554081/in-depth-browned-butter-sugar-cookies
They stayed pretty much the same shape through baking, and went over pretty well when I made them last week. Would probably lend themselves to some icing well, too.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

scuz posted:

I wanna make pulled-pork sandwiches but I don't have a smoker and if I did it's gonna be around 0 Fahrenheit for the next week so that's out. My plan at the moment is buying a big ol' shoulder and sticking it in my ~8-pound dutch oven in my oven at 225 for, eh, 12 hours or so. Now I'm worried about this thing drying out and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to season the thing with anything that's not S&P or a mire poix. Any advice? I'm not going for anything too wild on the spices, just a good, solid pork-y baseline and my diners can add whatever they want on it.

Skin doused with Worchestershire sauce and packed with brown sugar. Throw an onion and as much garlic as you can find in there. Put a lid on it and call it a day.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Goddamn posted:

I find some pastas are just better as cold leftovers. Generally not the very meaty/tomatoey ones though.

I feel this way about penne with pesto and stir fried grated zucchini.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Jenkin posted:

I seem to have misplaced my vodka sauce recipe, does anyone have a favorite one they'd like to share? Preferably one that doesn't have the step 'add one jar of marinara sauce?'

* 1 can whole peeled tomatoes, drained
* 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
* 3 tbsp olive oil
* 1 small onion
* 3 cloves garlic
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp oregano
* 2 tbsp basil
* 1/4 cup vodka
* 1/2 cup heavy cream
* 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I had butter the other night that just didn't taste right. It tasted almost minty? But not quite. Ate it anyway because butter is expensive, etc, figured I might've been imagining it as no one else mentioned it (I later found out this was because I was the only one to have eaten it). Just opened up another stick of butter from the same package and immediately noticed the yellow color was slightly off (as had been on the last one), and again there is a distinct weird taste present.

Either someone is playing a wonderfully elaborate joke on me or this butter may have gone bad at some point? I'm confused.