Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
I recently moved into a kitchen that has severely limited my cooking space, and I need recipe recommendations. I currently only have 2 burners and a microwave, but no oven. If a large pot is on one of the burners, the other is completely unusable, so there's a size restriction as well. I'm increasingly tired of pasta and stir-fry, so I was wondering if there were any other, perhaps more complicated, dishes I should attempt?

Also, it's a shared kitchen so I can't have anything on for an extreme amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Fig Newton posted:

To clarify:

1. How many people are you cooking for? Just yourself? i.e what sort of quantities of food are we looking at.

2. What qualifies to your roomies as an "extreme amount of time"? How soon do they need their burners back? 15 minutes? 30 minutes? An hour? Three hours?

3. How much refrigerator and freezer space do you have? Are you wanting to cook meals ahead and freeze/store them in Tupperware or freezer bags?

4. What are your food preferences? Allergies? Vegan? Things you will/will not eat (onions, mushrooms, shrimp, etc.)?

5. What is your food budget? Pick one. (A) Broke. (B) Everybody else. Because if you were (C) Filthy Rich you wouldn't be sharing burners with roomies.

It's not a question of "magic recipes for small kitchens", see, it's a question of deciding what ya wanna eat and then figuring out how to implement it. It's more logistics than cuisine.

I'd normally just be cooking for me, and I'll eat pretty much anything. Unfortunately, I'm closer to "broke" than anything else. Also, the fridge is ridiculously crowded. There's ten of us sharing this kitchen, so it's more or less a constant struggle to find space in there. The reason I mentioned time restriction was on the scale of hours, avoiding making soups and similar projects.

I'm not exactly a cooking regular, so I'm more making recipe requests with such restrictions in mind instead of scaling down already-known recipes.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Fig Newton posted:

Okay, so, no stock.

Welp, somebody who's broke and eats pretty much anything could do worse than investigate Indian food as mentioned above. Since fuel is at a premium on the Indian subcontinent, most Indian food tends to cook fast and is mostly a matter of assembly of ingredients, rather than of "using all the burners simultaneously to cook a lot of stuff".

The vegan thread has a lot of good, interesting, different Indian recipes in it.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413016

I am a personal fan of Manjula's cooking style.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Manjulaskitchen

Also of Maangchi, which is Korean.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Maangchi

Dunno what kind of Chinese stir-fry you've been doing, but there's more to it than beef and broccoli.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401971

I would also browse the GWS Wiki, see what I felt like eating. Not all of it requires reducing a sauce for 5 hours.
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Welcome_to_Goons_With_Spoons

This is fantastic, thanks.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

pr0k posted:

I did this the other day and I was sadly disappointed that it didn't taste like god's jizz. It tasted like Duke's.

Still way better than most, because Duke's is the only commercial mayo that still uses egg yolk, I hear. But it's still just good mayo.

It's not fabulous if you make straight mayo, but homemaking it allows you to add all sorts of things for flavored mayonnaise. Sriracha, garlic, avocado, etc.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Aery posted:

If I wanted to make, say an avocado mayo, should I mix the avocado mash in after the mayo is done or could I do it all at once?

When I do it, I put stuff in before adding the oil, with the egg and mustard.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
What's the difference between a good knife and a lovely knife besides sharpness? I bought a chef's knife for $2, but it seems decently sharp. I'm told I "should" spend ~$30 on one. What am I going to notice in the cheaper knife?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Can any of y'all recommend a good source of cheap recipes? Me and my dad budget about $50 a week for food and we're getting a little tired of pasta.

E: a website, preferably; books cost money.

Cookstr.com has recipe catalog, sortable by how expensive they are. It's my go-to source of finding things to cook.

edit: here is the list of all of their recipes (including sides and other meals) which they consider "inexpensive": http://www.cookstr.com/searches?query=&cal=&sod=&carb=&cal_fat=&cal_sat_fat=&fib=&cost=1&by=&cost-e=1

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Feenix posted:

Help, you glorious bastards! I am in Paris on my honeymoon and so far we have had fairly good meals at little bar/cafes, but before we leave I'd love to eat at a really fantastique French restaurant.

It doesn't have to be 4 star Michelin. In fact I'd prefer something we didn't stress over reservations and hundred-euro price tags.

Any good recomms?

I'd also like to know this. I'm going to be in Paris in a few days, and need some excellent French food.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Is there any way to get rice to retain moisture, or to return moisture to cooked rice? Every time I make rice, it turns out great but I still haven't really figured out how to store it so it doesn't just turn hard.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
So, a question of a different kind:

I'm a broke college student and the closest supermarket is half a mile away. I have no car, but there's a CVS pretty close. How do I motivate myself to actually acquire and cook something delicious and not-Ramen?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
I recently bought three pounds of chicken breasts, which I used to make stock. Any recommendations on recipes for the leftover overcooked, flavorless chicken? I've been shredding it and tossing it into stir fries and ramen so far.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
I'm making a fast white bread, and the recipe I'm using says to let it rise for 20-45 minutes in a warm (75-85°) location. There's nowhere that warm in my apartment. What kind of extra time should I be looking at if it's ~60° in here?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Nicol Bolas posted:

What's the full recipe? I can't think of a bread that rises properly in 20 minutes no matter what the temperature. Generally speaking, you're looking for it to double in size. When you poke it, it should not spring back, but instead should stay dented--that's when it's ready to be punched down or baked.

It's the one from the Joy of Cooking. It rises for 40-45 minutes in the bowl, then gets transferred to the breadpan and rises for another 20-45.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Nicol Bolas posted:

I'm so conflicted, because Joy of Cooking is gospel to me (I grew up with the 1970s edition in all its aspic glory), but that seems really wrong. Are you punching it down and shaping the loaf before the second rise? I tried to look around for info and according to various sources, it looks like rate of reproduction for yeast doubles every 10° C up until the ideal temp (32° C / 90 F°). So ... this is the part where you ballpark it and go by feel instead of doing a fuckload of math, if you're me, but I'd say double those rise times if you're working in an actual 60° F place.

Yeah, it gets punched down in the transfer to the breadpan. I'm giving it double the time, hoping to approximate a double in size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
It was recommended to me to save inedible bits of vegetables in the freezer to eventually make vegetable broth essentially for free. I've accumulated a few cups of garlic skins, onion roots, fleshy bits of pepper, ends of carrots and celery, etc.

How much water should I use relative to the amount of vegetable? Is there anything I wouldn't necessarily have that should be in there and I might have to buy?