Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

lifts cats over head posted:

I made chicken stock yesterday for the first time. I wanted to double check with you all to make sure I did it right. After a day in the fridge the stock is more gelatinous than I expected. So did I do this correctly?

This is how my stock turns out:

The more gelatin you have in it, the more unctuous the texture will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Kenning posted:

Unagi (eel).

:catstare:

Stop eating eel! She is endangered!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

zerox147o posted:

But then where will I put butternut squash soup! And cream of potato soup! God I love fall :allears:

Make one for hearty winter soups and stews if you like! Trying to veer away from the whole megathread format isn't the worst idea.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Seaniqua posted:

First of all, for the meat. If possible, I'd like to keep the consistency of ground pork without sacrificing the beer flavor.. Should I cook the brats in beer, then cut them up and put them in the dough to bake? Or just fry ground pork in some beer?

Are you comfortable making bread? Would you like to be? You can substitute beer for the water in bread and get a beer-y flavour that way.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Skavoovee posted:

Does anyone have a good idea for a foie gras replacement? I don't have a specific recipe in mind, I'm just looking for something that isn't liver and can approximate the richness and other characteristics of it.

I tried Googling for this, but haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks.

A pork and duck fat emulsion would approximate the richness!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Jose posted:

So another question for people. I don't consider myself a good cook by any stretch of the imagination. I can make very nice food because I can follow a recipe very well and take care to prepare in advance and make sure that I don't have to juggle too much poo poo at once so something may get burned for example.

What I am bad at is coming up with food ideas when I cook (currently living with my parents so less of an issue but it means I get to cook more unusual dishes since they can pay for the more exotic ingredients and I cook for myself based on craving) and basically being able to look at whats in the fridge for example and being able to make something good out of it.

Will this just come with time or is it one of those gifts that true cooks have?

The Flavor Bible is really good for figuring out what goes with what, if you want something to get ideas from.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Fig Newton posted:

C. I would personally never, not ever, make a cake using a new, untried recipe for my mother-in-law, especially for such an important occasion as a birthday. I would especially never, not EVER, take that new, untried recipe and tinker with it. No, she would get a standard cake that was by-the-book and according-to-the-recipe, because that way I'd have a reasonable guarantee that it wouldn't come out an inedible mess. Perhaps your MIL is a saint and would only be highly amused at collecting a hilarious anecdote if her daughter-in-law baked her an inedible mess of a birthday cake; if so, you are fortunate.

Who would freak out at someone who was adventurous and made a cake that turned out ridiculously in some way? Maybe my family just has Stockholm syndrome from consuming my food misadventures, but half the fun is doing something interesting.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Fig Newton posted:

You don't want to have my sister-in-law, who would snigger behind my back literally until her dying day if I made her a cake, for any reason, that turned out less than perfect. "Wow, that Fig, she sure thought she could bake! And was it ever crappy!"

My mother-in-law would be perfectly polite about the lapsed cake, but she'd make vaguely negative, passive-aggressive comments about my cake-baking skilz ever after, too.

Yes, I am blessed by my in-laws, why do you ask? :D

Then stop cooking for them why the heck would you put up with that?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Fig Newton posted:

1. Chicken. Put some cut up pieces of chicken in there. Put in some kind of liquid like chicken stock (this now comes in cans and paper boxes at Kroger, they also have a low-sodium option) (do NOT use bouillion cubes, they're full of sodium), or salsa, or marinara, whatever, but NOT simply water because it won't come out yummy, it will come out sad like Oliver Twist Orphanage Soup). Have enough liquid so that all the pieces of chicken are covered, but not so full that the lid won't go on without squirting liquid all over the counter. Add things like a peeled quartered onion, a peeled chunked carrot, a washed chunked stalk of celery. Make sure all ingredients are covered by liquid. Turn on High. Make sure it's actually heating up before you go away for the day. Go away for the day. Come home to yummy chicken stuff.

Hello I understand that you are trying to give babby's first cooking advice but salsa chicken is an abomination.

You don't need to cover the ingredients, just having a small amount of liquid will be fine. Cooking chicken for 8+ hours is a good way to have overly mushy chickens in the end, 1-4 hours after it comes to temperature is plenty.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Salsa chicken is the culinary equivalent of telling someone that goes into W&W to do five hundred 10lb bicep curls. It kind of works, but it's still dumb and there are substantially better ways to do things.

People are coming into a forum about cooking asking about how to cook. They are willing to learn. Why the heck would you give them advice that is not actual good advice? Cooking is intimidating to people that don't know how to cook, but it is not difficult to make amazing food if you are willing to try. That is what we should be encouraging people to do.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Averrences posted:

and any good cookbooks that you all can recommend?

Ratio and How to Cook Everything are great places to start.

If you want something a bit more time consuming but absolutely amazing (and not substantially more difficult) then Anything by Thomas Keller would be awesome. Ad Hoc at Home is a fantastic cookbook for very, very good home-style food.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Jose posted:

Having never had Kimchi, being a huge fan of pickled and spicy food and the fact my mum is about to pickle a load of stuff. Should I get her to pickle some Kimchi? Are there any unusual ingredients?

It's not really the same as pickling because you want it to ferment/have bacteria in it. Try this: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kimchi-kaktugi

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So are you guys saying it takes more energy to raise 1 gram of ice 1 degree than it does to raise one gram of liquid water one degree?

It takes more energy to raise one gram of water by one degree than it does to raise a gram of ice one degree.

Specific heat of water: 4.187 kJ/kgK
Specific heat of ice: 2.108 kJ/kgK

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Vixenella posted:

I am going to be making pulled pork in my slow cooker tomorrow. The shoulder we got to do it has a lot of fat on it, it's almost fully encased in fat. Should we trim some of the fat off or leave it all on? We use the juice to make BBQ sauce so less fat means less skimming but I don't want to ruin it.

Fat makes things taste good. You can leave the fat in if you like, but if you prefer a less fatty sauce then just get rid of it beforehand.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

heeebrew posted:

So I just got some xathan and guar gum, anything I should experiment with?

How do you feel about emulsions?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Can someone make the new cast iron pan thread? About six months ago someone had made a new cast iron pan thread at a mod's request, and now they've closed that thread, as well :(

Do we really need one? It's a pan that has a couple minor restrictions and advantages and otherwise is identical to every other pan.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Powdered Toast Man posted:

I have a question about preservatives.

Store bought food pretty much always includes them, sometimes multiple preservatives. This is obviously to extend the shelf life or in some cases forgo immediate refrigeration. Recently I've made a few things that I was concerned about not being able to use up fast enough (it's just me and my wife) such as my own hot sauce and marinara sauce, and I was wondering if it's practical or safe to attempt to add something like sodium benzoate to extend the shelf life. Also, is it likely to affect the taste in the amounts needed? How would I figure out how much to use?

Have you ever looked into canning? You can reeeeeally increase the shelf life of tons of products by properly processing them. Here is a thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437802

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That's why this method is so awesome. You typically need to do it slowly in order to get the emulsion going. They are saying that because of the way the stick blender slowly pulls the oil down, you get don't need to do it like that. I think a regular blender would would mix it all up too quickly and just give you an oily mess.

Nah, restaurants make it in a vita-mix by just putting the water phase in, cranking it, and then dumping the oil in relatively quickly.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Admiral Ballsack posted:

so there's no difference between red, green, and orange bell peppers?

Green is more bitter, but not really, no.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

This is a reminder that smashmouthman is going to be eating two dozen eggs this afternoon.

Please join us for a live broadcast.

https://app.e2ma.net/app/view:CampaignPublic/id:13675.10777028252/rid:70d3d1133c7f3ad0845512d40a85b0e0

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

yes posted:

There's a difference between brown stock and white stock. Brown stock is made as you described, and white stock is made as I described. I find that white stock has less flavor but more body, since all collagen transformation takes place inside your stock instead of the oven. Both types have their uses.

There is no necessary gelatin loss in a brown stock as long as you keep the liquid that runs off the carcass/bones.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

yes posted:

Unfortunately, gelatin is destroyed quite rapidly at 350F.

You don't need to broil it excessively, and you can add gelatin at the end if it isn't thick enough. You're right that chicken is affected more than beef/veal/etc more though.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Vigilante Banana posted:

I have an assload of pie pumpkins that I would like to prepare so that I can use it for pies and bread and the like. Do I just cut up my pumpkins and throw them in the oven?

Cut them in half, de-seed them with a sturdy spoon, rub a bit of oil on them and throw them in the oven.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

The Third Man posted:

Well I'm not THAT retarded, it's just a plain-jane cast iron pan :(

Maybe I'll take some pictures next time it happens...

If it's not enameled, are you possibly heating it on a crazy-hot stove? It is possible to burn off the seasoning.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Thumposaurus posted:

You can definitely over knead bread but it will take a long time to do it.
English muffins are one example that's how you get all the nooks and crannies by over kneading it and breaking the gluten chains.

Your arms will fall off before you overknead bread by hand, but yeah, if you let a mixer go at a regular thing of bread dough for half an hour it'll just turn out badly.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Mozi posted:

I have .72lb of lamb breast for myself tonight and was thinking a simple braise would be the way to go. I do not have a cast iron lid for my cast iron pan, however (which would be my closest approximation of a dutch oven). What is the way to go here?

You can braise stuff in any container, I use a cake pan with aluminium foil on top of it sometimes.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

The Macaroni posted:

Halloween party tomorrow. Wife talked me into grilling sliders instead of bigger burgers. When grilling something little like that, how do I keep it from getting too dray? Higher temperature but shorter cooking time?

Make little tiny one meatball sandwiches.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

razz posted:

Should I let the chili cool before freezing it? And should I put the lid on right away or wait until it's frozen? For some reason I've got it in my head that closing jars of warm chili and putting them in the freezer will cause them to bust.

Absolutely let them cool, if you don't you'll probably repeatedly warm and cool food already in your freezer and that can cause food safety issues.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

heeebrew posted:

Yeah, my toaster oven is just a mini oven, I don't think it would make a difference, should I bake them at a higher temperature for less time?

The better air circulation might make a relatively large difference, since you are trying to dry them out a fair bit.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

A jargogle posted:

What can a man do with (freely acquired) pork belly and some basic vegetables?

Braise it. Turn it into crackly bits. Eat it.

(brine for 12h, braise on super low heat, cool, slice, score fat, reheat in low temp oven, cook on high heat, broil for good skin)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I wouldn't call them cakey. They're much more of a classic chewy middle with a crisp ring around the outside. Here's a picture of mine:

These are p. sexy cookies.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Jose posted:

This is somewhat last minute but my dad wants a cleaver for his birthday. I've found various things within my price range but can anyone recommend what I should go for in terms of weight etc? He wants a wood handle I know that much. Unfortunately it has to come from online.

This cleaver is amazing:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/cckcleaver2.html

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Yehudis Basya posted:

I found dried chilis at the store, for the first time! They were anchos and de arbols. These will take the place of chili powder in a big vat of beef chili, right? How do I (in depth!) go about using them for this purpose- just stick em in, chop em up, or soak in water for a while?

Also, I want to make a ton of chili so I can freeze the leftovers. Just do it in a bunch of tupperwares that approximate portion size, or in one big tupperware?

Cool it down and freeze it in plastic bags, they'll freeze flat/in whatever shape you cram them into your freezer, and also be the portion size you want. You don't want to thaw/freeze this more than once.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Kenning posted:

:golfclap:

Okay, so I'm planning my Thanksgiving meal for four. The menu as it stands is gonna be as follows:

turkey + fixin's
roasted root vegetables w/ garlic and thyme
mashed potatoes + gravy
that peanut butter squash soup/stew everyone's raving about
cranberry sauce
some steamed green veggies and/or spinach salad
dessert (which I haven't figured out yet)

Looks pretty good, right?

Only if you make your own cranberry sauce and then set it in a can so that it looks right.

Instead of just doing steamed greens maybe do braised chard or brussels sprouts?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

FishBulb posted:

Holy crap ...

I am intrigued.

http://www.recipebinder.co.uk/recipe.aspx?rid=32011

P. good taters.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Jose posted:

I don't remember the name or the ingredients but one of the previous NISCA recipes I think for hangover food was a Moroccan recipe involving tinned tomatoes, spicy sausage and eggs boiled in the mixture. Does anyone know the recipe or have something similar?

Like this?

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/03/dinner-tonight-moroccan-ragout-with-poached-eggs-in-purgatory-recipe.html

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

How many people, grav? Do you have to do it french-style instead of russian-style?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

French style? Russian style? :allears:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_%C3%A0_la_fran%C3%A7aise

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_%C3%A0_la_russe

Serve it as courses or a plated dish instead of a gigantic mound of food in the middle of the table. My family resisted the fact that I wanted to do that SO HARD until it worked great once they finally let me.

(Edit: I know that a la russe is not 100% what I mean, but close enough.)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 20, 2011

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Happy Abobo posted:

The past few months, I've been trying to make a point of trying something new in the kitchen, whether it's a new ingredient, or just a new technique, every week. This week, I've finally bought my first hunk of pork belly... now I have no idea what to do with it. What would be a good, versatile recipe for my first go at cooking this? It's a bit intimidating, what with it's... nipple and hair and poo poo.

Eat the nipple. I made pork nipple skewers for an ICSA a while ago.

http://leitesculinaria.com/34750/writings-confit-of-pork-belly.html is a great straightforward Keller recipe for belly that I would absolutely recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Chemmy posted:

The Sous Vide Supreme has some pretty serious corrosion issues.

If you get it for $199 and plan to throw it away, fine. But don't spend top dollar and expect it to last.

I've had the full-size model since it came out with no corrosion - I haven't noticed it at all outside of people complaining about the demi.

I've hosted steak dinners for 20 people using the full size svs.