Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
Hey guys, I got a pumpkin cupcake recipe recently that I keep wanting to try. It calls for 2/3 cup pumpkin. I've only worked with canned pumpkin stuff to make lazy people pumpkin pie. Soooo, how do I do this? Is this the stuff you pull out from inside a pumpkin? Do I have to do anything special with it before integrating it into a recipe? Help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

Canned it is. Thanks! :)

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

I get really paranoid about fruits and vegetables spoiling, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

How can you tell if romaine is bad? This has a couple brown spots (small ones), and the edge of some of the leaves is kind of bumpy...? Is it okay to eat?

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

Kind of a weird question, but I seem to have bought a bag of frozen and undercooked burritos.

Do I just microwave them for longer? Cook them in the oven? What the hell do I do with these?

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

So, I grabbed a swai fillet from the store, and I'm thinking of coating it in breadcrumbs with some Italian seasoning or something, and frying it a little in the pan. Maybe squeezing some lemon on it after. Am I missing a step? Do I need to coat it in something before the breadcrumbs? I rarely cook fish (husband hates it, so I only even think about making it when he's out of town), so any suggestions on heat, or length of time to cook it? Help!

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

Thanks for the help! It turned out really good, especially once I realized it needed some chili powder. It fell apart quite a bit as I flipped it though, so I'm gonna give it another try in a few days.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

So I just signed up to bring strudel to a German themed potluck, happening a couple days from now. I was poking through recipes, and it seems doable, but I'm worried the apple will make it soggy when it bakes. Is this a valid concern? Any advice, or help, regarding common pitfalls? Heck, any favorite strudel recipe suggestions? Thanks in advance!

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

So, after a passing comment in today's D&D session, I have the desire to try to come up with a dessert called "Coocoo Banana Pants." I figured it should be an ice cream dish, in part because that's fairly simple, and more a matter of figuring out flavor combos and toppings. Currently, I'm thinking coconut ice cream, hot fudge, and banana. My mom suggested working in Coco Puffs, which I feel like I should at least experiment with, since it suits the spirit of the thing. I could try whole puffs, but I got to wondering if there was some way to make a nice crumble with crushed cereal. Is this a thing? Any recommendations or suggestions?

I'm also curious about something that would make an effective banana substitute, since my DM is allergic. She said a frozen custard could be okay, for the texture, but I'd still like to sort out another nice flavor, that would compliment coconut and chocolate. Mango? I'm new to actually trying to create food ideas.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

One of my dear friends is on a quest to lose weight, and things are actually going very well so far! However, I know she loves sweets. I also love sweets, and I love baking, but my recipes are often of the "hmm, what is the best cookie recipe? Ah yes, the one full of butter" variety, and she's trying to avoid those kinds of foods now.

Any goons have any favorite lower carb dessert recipes, or resources for these things? Ideally not something which produces a bunch of little treats. She and I both have bingeing urges with little, single-serve sweets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

baquerd posted:

The fun thing about low carb is that sometimes it means eating sticks of butter guilt-free. Do you want low-carb, low-fat, low-calorie, all of the above, or something else?

Oh, I messed that up in my op! Yeah, low-calorie is what I meant. :doh: When it comes to desserts, I don't think she minds carbs or fat quite so much, as long as it's tasty, and will satisfy her sweet-tooth. She's told me that she prefers to keep her sweets under 200 calories, if that makes a difference.