Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I recently moved out, and got a lot of kitchen equipment that my mom never used. I didn't even know she had an enameled dutch oven, so I took it because it was sitting in a cupboard for 10 years. Also, I got her pizza stone and pizza peel.

So, if you got those three things, what would be the first thing you'd make with them?

I know a dutch oven has a million uses, but since my mom never cooked with one... I didn't learn how to use it! I know you can bake bread, make stews, and all sorts of things. It's an ugly orange monstrosity and I want to harness it.

Pizza stone and peel is pretty straight forward, because I'll make a bunch of different kinds of pizzas. I'll have to give the stone a good bake in the oven, it was stored outside for quite a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Zedlic posted:

I'm attending a potluck with colleagues in a couple of weeks, and the theme is pumpkin. I want to skip the traditional pumpkin dishes and go for something either not very traditional or completely crazy out of left field stuff.

Google insists on giving me pumpkin pie and eight thousand variations thereof, anyone here have ideas for unconventional pumpkin dishes?

Edit: I hunted down a few ICSA 14 threads from 2006, and I think I'm making Mr. Wiggles' pumpkin curry. Seems just crazy enough for me, and I'm pretty comfortable with making curries.

Since you're still around, got any tips for me Wiggles? Or any of the pictures since Waffleimages is long dead?

Another vote for pumpkin curry, or something inspired by that. I bet there's going to be a million pumpkin pies, so maybe try something not very sweet? Roast it with cinnamon and serve it with something dark green? Dunno, just going for colour contrast with that last part.

Spicy pumpkin stew, maybe?

Whoops typed that all up without seeing the edit. Now I kind of want to make a bunch of things with pumpkin.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

My mom bought me a bunch of different kinds of flours for my birthday and I have no idea what to do with some of them. I have regular unbleached white flour, whole wheat and barley flour. Those I can just use for normal bread recipes, but I'm not sure what to do with the Blue Cornmeal, Dark Rye Flour, and Sweet White Sorghum flour.

I'll be making some blue cornmeal muffins for sure, hopefully they turn out to be some weird colour and I'll take pictures.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

The bread thread was culled and I'm not sure where to start looking for good recipes. Anyone got a good recipe for Rye bread?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Was going all Whole Wheat a mistake?

Probably. I heard the best mixture is about 50/50 or 25/75 whole wheat to white flour, especially for something like pasta which is particular.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

RazorBunny posted:

Would it be totally self-serving to post my blog entry on crab cake sliders, or is that something that would interest people?

Post it! I like Crab. :3:

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I find that if you put hot stuff into a glass jar, and then put it into the fridge/freezer right away then it's 100 times more difficult to open the lid. So I would lightly close it until it's cold, then tighten it proper.

I freeze small portions of things all the time in glass jars, but never large portions. I'm not a big fan of plastic containers in general.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I think (at least in North America) there's so much focus on healthy food being bland, and/or processed to poo poo that many people forget that it can easily be delicious. (or delicious food not being complex)

But yeah, seconding the drink more water suggestion.

As for processing I differentiate between something like bacon or ham (which is cured) and protein powder or weird carb replacements.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I'm not sure where to ask this, but are there any guide or anything about living in a cold climate and trying to eat things fairly local? I would like to take advantage of a CSA, but I'm not sure where to start looking. Or for local butchers for meats. I love little hole in the wall ethnic markets, but they generally don't show up on google maps. I don't drive in a city that's designed for cars, so I'm a bit limited.

I generally grow herbs in the summer, though that's only a few months worth of growing season here. I live in a basement apartment, so it's really hard to grow things indoors without spending money on lights.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Happy Hat posted:

It would really help if you provided us with a general area, like, say, a continent?

Sorry, thought that I included a location. So Calgary, Alberta. So relatively south considering Canada. I'm finding some things on the sites you linked, thanks.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

User-Friendly posted:

So, a question of a different kind:

I'm a broke college student and the closest supermarket is half a mile away. I have no car, but there's a CVS pretty close. How do I motivate myself to actually acquire and cook something delicious and not-Ramen?

Yeesh, half a mile? Get in your weight bearing exercise in by carrying groceries home, it's not that far.

Buy what Iron Chef Ricola says and then only buy meat on sale. Do you have an oven at your disposal? Or a slow cooker? Because you can then get cheaper stewing meat and make stews.

Or roast a chicken. Whole chickens can often be cheaper than the equivalent number of boneless skinless chicken breasts beside them.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

razz posted:

I know that if cheese gets moldy, it's perfectly fine to cut off the moldy and eat the cheese. But what about cream cheese, are the rules different because it's so soft?

My opened block of cream cheese has a dime-sized patch of blue/green mold on it. Is it safe to eat if I eat around the mold? I hope you guys say yes because I already ate a bunch of it.

If it's something soft, I scoop out a really huge area around it just to feel safe. Chances are it's a benign mold. Though someone else have might have something more in depth to say, though. The harder the cheese (well item in general) the less likely you are to have issues with mold if you cut it off.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

When I was living with my parents who are low-carb crazy I would replace zuccini in meals where there would normally be pasta. I wouldn't chop it thin like spaghetti, though, I would slice it at an angle then chop the rounds into three sticks. Fry lightly in oil, with salt and pepper. Delish. Then you can have a portion of that, with chicken and some kind of sauce.

I also loving love zucchini.

Also say goodbye to pasta as anything other than a treat, otherwise you're just going to get a really lovely lasagna. Eat the real thing on a cheat day if you can manage it and make it good.

The low-carb flours that my mom bought tasted like sawdust every time. She'd say it was okay because she put cheese on it... but it was just cheese on sawdust. :(

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Frozen Limes double as tasty ice cubes, too.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

midnightclimax posted:

How long does it take for a can of opened coconut milk to go bad?

I don't find much use for it, and basically sprinkle it on everything. But there's so much left, ugh. I think I opened it 5 days ago.

I learned the hard way that it only lasts about 3~5 days in the fridge. It freezes beautifully, though. Freeze it in an ice cube tray or muffin tin so that you can just grab a little bit each time.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I braised them in heavy cream, with some nutmeg. I can't remember how much nutmeg I used, or how long/what temperature I used, but I remember devouring it.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I love eating kovbassa/garlic sausage/whatever cured meat with cheese and nice bread on a hot day. With a light salad, or just chopped up raw veggies. Its kind of finger food, but I like putting together a little open faced sandwich which is slightly different each time.

I also eat that for breakfast often, because I get tired/grossed out by eggs every so often. Nice and quick.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

A quick google informs me that I'm likely not to kill myself making stock in a slow cooker. Can anyone confirm/deny?

I also read in Ratio that you can also make stock in the over at a very low setting to get that bare simmer, but the crock pot is much more convenient. I'll leave my apartment with the crock pot on, but not my stove.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Another thing I do for asparagus when I'm feeling ambitious is to reduce a bit of balsamic and drizzle it over roasted asparagus with some parm tossed on. Though the quality of ingredients really shows, (un)fortunately.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

You can continue buying meat ad hoc if you want, I kind of do something similar. Though I usually buy in bulk and freeze portions so all I have to do is pull a steak out from the fridge then use whatever veggies I have on hand.

Cooking is pretty ad hoc if you're doing it right, tbh.

I'd probably add bacon onto that list (it lasts forever) and pretty much anything else that last forever. Flour and/or corn starch is also something good to have handy, as you can thicken sauces.

My list of always having on hand is:
* Garlic
* Onions
* Heavy Cream
* Butter
* Eggs
* Bacon
* Oils and Spices (including lard in the 'oils')
* Flour

Adding to that I always have a couple bags of frozen veggies to nuke when I'm feeling exceptionally lazy. Frozen veggies are pretty good, even if you go for the budget brand.

You can always switch up what the Onion is, white, red or green.

I like having soy sauce, vinegars and sesame oil on hand too. Mustard is handy if you use it in things.

I rarely plan meals, unless I'm struck by inspiration at the grocery store and buy the pieces there. Nine times out of ten I just need a couple of things (Often its white wine for pan sauces) because everything else I'd need on hand.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

While we're on the topic, is there a basic video tutorial that's goon-approved for cooking in a stainless steel pan? Now that I don't have to deal with my dad*/brother ruining pans, I bought myself one with some birthday money.

* my dad, despite his degree in materials engineering with a focus on metallurgy, never realizes how easy it is to ruin a cheap pan. Or even a decent one, sometimes. Fortunately, he was easy to hide things from.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

tarepanda posted:

What's a delicious, cheap spaghetti sauce with meat in it and what's a good way to freeze it? I can't imagine tossing it all into a giant container and freezing would work well for reuse over time, but the alternative (doling out tiny portions that I'd use) would completely fill my freezer...

You can freeze that sort of stuff in freezer bags. Once they're solid, they're easy to stack. Can't help you with the spaghetti sauce, though.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I have 3kg of chicken leg quarters (bone-in skin-on) and I'm at a loss of what to do with them. My boyfriend left them in my freezer because he doesn't know what he wants to do with them, and I really don't want to defrost them just to break them up. Usually I just roast the chicken leg quarters, but as much as I love roast chicken, I get tired of it quickly.

Is there something that I can make that freezes well? I doubt both me and my boyfriend can eat 3kg of chicken in a day or two.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

CuddleChunks posted:

Stew them! :dance:

Mushrooms, tomatoes, green bell peppers, onions, some thyme and oregano and a bit of butter and oil. Brown up the quarters in butter and oil, remove from pan. Sautee mushrooms and onions in butter, throw in peppers and tomatoes and re-add the quarters. Add some salt and pepper and the herbs and braise that hot mess until your chicken is falling off the bone tender. You can throw in some red wine too while it cooks down. Throw some down your throat too!

Pull the quarters and rip off the meat into big chunks. Stir it up in the tomatoey stew sauce and then serve over some egg noodles. Try like hell not to jam it all into your face in one sitting.

Freezes remarkably well.

Thrasher posted:

That sounds amazing.. but since 3kg is a lot, you could do 1/2 with this stew and 1/2 as chicken soup:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chicken-Soup-with-Root-Vegetables-360590

grill/roast the chicken first.. then follow the recipe above..

Bee avatars! Oh my!

Thanks! I doubt I have a container to do it all at once (I do have a gently caress-off huge dutch oven for one person, but I'd be crowding it and... I probably wouldn't be able to lift it if it was full) but roasting half for soup while braising the other half at least allows me to use other containers that aren't several kg each.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I have a block of paneer I liberated from my mom's fridge and now I don't know what to do with it. :(

Is there something simple that comes to mind?

Also is there a way to get rid of salt from smoked salmon? The package I got was unbearable salty, so much that I can barely eat it. I don't want it salt-free, but any way to reduce the amount or serve it with something that will balance out the salty-ness.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

How do I make myself like hard boiled eggs? Or eggs done any other way than scrambled, or Julia Child's omelette?

I hated eggs as a kid, except when smothered in cheese and I still can't stand plain eggs now. Runny yolks still get me going bleeeeeg. Though I can eat Carbonara done the right way, somehow. (Probably the bacon and parm. Love me some parm)

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

hooah posted:

Anyone?

On the hottest days in my house as a kid, my mom would just make something in the slow cooker and put it outside (picnic table, etc). Somewhere in the shade. She'd be home all day, so she wouldn't have to worry about critters. Maybe try something like that?

Cook up a batch of meat one day and suffer with the sauna, then use it throughout the week in various dishes. Possibly hearty salads?

Cold soups might work, though there's often some cooking involved. You can make a batch ahead of time and have them in the fridge over the week.

I don't know any way to get enjoyment from cooking other than just feeling pride in making something delicious (and/or nutritious).

E: Also what Hawkgirl said. Also also I live in Canada so I only have to deal with heat for 3~4 weeks out of the year. :v:

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is there any special techniques to making meatballs? I made some Pork/Leek meatballs the other night, and I found them delicious despite under spicing them. Though they were a little bit hard to make them meatballs instead of little patties in the pan. I know they won't be perfectly round unless I get a special pan, but just 'roundish' is good enough for me.

Are breadcrumbs necessary? I eat bread maybe once every 3 weeks or so and I never have crumbs handy.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Dodecalypse posted:

I've been using electrical and gas stoves throughout most of my life. The new place I'm living in however has a coil burner and I've been having some trouble with it either not cooking evenly or the temperatures not being responsive/accurate.

Does anyone have any tips for using a coil burner successfully?

Luck and practise. Also try and make things that are don't get too messed up by uneven heating.

I always hated cooking at my boyfriend's apartments because of coil top stoves (he's not much of a cook and doesn't care, for the most part) and I just had to learn to deal. I had to learn the sweet spot on each of the burners, and when he had lovely roommates, which ones had the most grime on them that smoked. You'll probably find the hot one, and the cooler one pretty quickly. Or the burner that you use when you need to boil but can wait around for an hour.

That reminds me I should sign up for the cooking classes run by the Natural Gas company so I can cook on a gas stove.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Maybe try searching for Lemon/Lime Curd filled cookies? They look like 'gel'.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm having some trouble transitioning from eating out all the time to eating healthy. The cooking is the easy part, since I stick to simple recipes. I'm having more trouble with maintaining the kitchen. Things like keeping the pantry stocked, keeping the vegetables from wilting (it seems like any time I buy leafy greens they go bad before I use them), making a meal plan (and grocery list), organizing the kitchen cabinet efficiently, things like that. Is there a good book or web-site for learning how to maintain the kitchen?

It helps to have a balance of food that keeps, and doesn't keep. Now that's its Semptember and squash is looking really good, I generally have a few of those handy. They last roughly forever (~1mo) and I like them fairly simple. (Roasted with some Garam Masala, devour)

I only buy leavy greens (or anything that goes bad in less than <4 days) sparingly, and try and prepare them so they don't go bad. I often puree strawberries, and/or make a lazy sobetto out of them when they're going to turn soon.

http://www.stilltasty.com/ is a great site, too.

There's several different apps/websites that you can use for keeping on top of your pantry. I find that it overcomplicates things for me (I'm the kind of person that forgets my shopping list 95% of the time). I found out about pepperplate from here. There might be something that you'd like there.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is there anything clever to do with leftover roasted butternut squash? I was thinking a lazy soup or just mash 'em up with some garam masala, but I was wondering if there was any cool recipes.

Normally I roast a squash and they don't last the day, but I got a bigish one.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Saint Darwin posted:

Well I do have a bunch of frozen chicken breasts and vegetables in the freezer here (the huge stupid bags from Costco) so it's not like I was just cramming the noodles in my mouth alone. I should have clarified.

I was doing sandwiches for a while but I can only do that for so long before I go crazy. I try to bring left overs but ~*~*~ my girlfriend ~*~*~ actually makes fun of me for forgetting the stuff I pack the night before 9 times out of 10. I managed to remember the chicken I made last night because the house smelled like chicken from the stock that's forming in the pot.

Anyway I might just try to get better at leftovers and get that 480 count of disposable containers. We have a ton of Tupperwear, but 99% of it is from Chinese food or restaurants and while it claims its reusable, the containers get literally chalky after a few uses, and the $4 airtight super clamping containers from H Mart are, well, $4 each and all in use.

Do you drive or lock the door before work? Put your keys in the fridge with your lunch.
Alternativly, make a few lunch kits that you can store. Bring a small bag of fresh stuff to add for variety. Possibly freeze some leftovers and then bring them a couple of times a week, even if its the same thing on Monday and Friday, it won't be too bad for repeats.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

knowonecanknow posted:

I was invited to my friends Thanksgiving dinner this year and he asked everyone to bring a dish to pass. Well the host can't consume gluten, soy, or dairy which takes away every ingredient I normally cook with. Does anyone have any suggestions for me or recipes for any dishes that would/could go with a Thanksgiving dinner?

Thanks!

In your place I'd probably just roast up a mess of veggies. Possibly using coconut milk instead of cream, if I wanted to braise some brussel sprouts with nutmeg.

One thing that's almost become a staple at my parent's house for thanksgiving is dry roasted parsnip chips. Just thrown in the oven with kosher salt, until almost burnt looking. Deep Frying or a dehydrator would probably make them look better, but when they're a really deep brown I love them.

Rice dishes would work, but I almost never cook with rice so I don't have any ideas handy. Though I did read an article about the "Worst Dinner Guest Ever" (Vegan, lactose intolerant, gluten intolerant, allergic to eggs, and allergic to nuts) and they gave a handful of recipies. One of them being a mushroom risotto. Never cooked any of the recipies listed, aside from the strawberry sorbet, but here's the link otherwise. http://www.thekitchn.com/the-most-difficult-dinner-guest-ever-and-5-delicious-meals-to-feed-them-169102

If not veg*n you could also look at some paleo recipies, though sometimes hard to find something that is actually food and not gimmicky (or 90% bacon).

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Broccoli isn't know for urine smells, but asparagus is. But only if you have the gene that can smell it. My mom and boyfriend can smell it, but I can't. So I tend to eat a lot more asparagus because of that. :v:

Jyrraeth fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 20, 2012

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I've heard good things about spatchcock for chicken and turkey, I'm guessing it works just as well for duck? Scoring the skin and having a way to catch the fat drippings, of course.

Alternatively I'll break it apart, but once I defrost the whole thing, I don't want to freeze half of it again. I'm only feeding myself.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Wolfy posted:

Second question: I see beets used all the time by a lot of the top posters around here. I've literally never had beets in my life. What's a cool recipe to try this mysterious vegetable in?

Roasting them is always good, since they're a root veggie it takes about 30~40 mins in an oven at 375F. I just wash them and throw them on a baking sheet with a little oil, but you can go much further. After they're done, take off the skin without burning yourself, slice, shove in mouth. Dill and sour cream are common things to put on them afterwards.

I love pickled beets, but I don't have a recipe. I'll have to ask my mom one of these days.

I'm not a big fan of borscht, though that's always an option.

Also don't use any towels/hands/etc that you don't mind pink stains on.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

What's the most Filipino Dish you can think of? There's a Filipino market near my apartment that I've wandered through a couple times, but I never know what to try. They have some big freezers with a bunch of dinner-sized things (that I can't remember right now) and I'd like to try them... just not completely blind.

How much do ingredients overlap with other cuisines?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

If you don't want to eat just beets forever, you can also pickle them. They loving rule pickled, but I also grew up on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

How do you tell if a Winter Squash has gone bad? I think its Carnival Squash but I ripped the label off ages ago. I was going to cut it open and use my nose, but I'd like to know just for knowing's sake.