Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Get a butterbell. Best invention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

spreading hard butter on bread or toast sucks.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

That dough's a lot less liquid than mine was. And it sat about 18 hours as per the recipe before I attempted to fold anything.

Here's how it came out:

Can a bread expert see what went wrong here? The inside is kind of crumbly and kind of chewy, not totally hosed but not what I'd expect, and there aren't any air holes so I guess the gluten never formed right. I just followed the no-knead recipe as written. Mix, sit 18 hours, fold (added some flour here because it was liquid glue and impossible to work with), rest another two hours, bake. I'm so frustrated, I've been trying to make good bread for years and now that I'm in Korea I'm extra motivated because the bread here sucks rear end. This is not an auspicious beginning though. It's not inedible but it's not good.

Yeast might be dead.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jenkin posted:

I'm not a bread expert, but you also may want to look at what the gluten content of your flour is. It can vary quite a bit.

Unless he's using cake flour, it shouldn't matter. I've made great bread from walmart generic brand AP to the fancy unbleached, blessed by the gods artisan stuff.

Edit: I'm pretty sure cake flour would form enough gluten structure to get something more interesting than his loaf in that time frame.

Yeast is dead. Get new yeast, try new bread.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The Third Man posted:

So what is the appropriate way to clean a cast iron pan? For some goddamn reason I always seem to take the seasoning off even though I only use hot water and a plastic scrubby pad thing. One time I somehow managed to burn the seasoning off after searing some steaks. This last time I just braised some pork and after I cleaned it up, there were white spots across the whole cooking surface...

Could I be incorrectly seasoning it? I've just been baking on a layer of Crisco @ 400 degrees for an hour or so per the wiki.

You apparently suck at seasoning. Sounds like you just have burnt on crap on the pan surface, not actual carbon buildup.

Edit VVV that too. I've never seen a white cast iron pan. They're kinda dull grey when unseasoned.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 27, 2011

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Serendipitaet posted:

I got a roll of clean "household" cotton twine, but I'm afraid it might not stand up to the temperature and burn. Would soaking it in water for a while help?

That'll work fine. As long as it isn't loose garden twine, but the tight white/grey stuff, you're good.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

KOTJ posted:

I bought a grass-fed culotte steak on impulse due to the low price. I've had it at one of the local French restaurants, but have never personally cooked this particular cut before. Google results are telling me it's from the cap of the top sirloin--am I correct in assuming it needs a marinade of some sort?

No cut of meat needs a marinade. Ever. Sirloin cap is a fairly tender cut. Cook it like any other decent steak.

If you have the fat cap on it still (and is thick enough), salt the whole steak and slap it fat side down on the grill until most of the fat has rendered out, then flip to the opposite side to get grill marks and finish to taste. I recommend med-rare. Serve with chimichurri and some rice and beans. Yum.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hit the pan with some diced shallot, deglaze with some white wine and whisk in a knob of butter at the end.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mash yolk with a delicious bird liver pate.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Generalisimo Halal posted:

:stare:

Holy poo poo I love you.

It's loving amazing. I'm pretty sure I took a few years of my life off eating pate deviled eggs.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Make confit byaldi

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Up the milkfat. Add more heavy cream. Also, his nog sucks.

Make this one instead.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

That said, I've never tried a recipe that calls for aging, so I'm totally trying that one you linked. Thanks!

Aged egg nog is awesome. Although, I tend to not add cognac and swap in an equal amount of rye instead. Gives it a bit of kick to cut through the cloying nature of the beverage.

Oh, and I aged a gallon for six months and cracked it open, ice cold, on a sweltering summer day. It was awesome. I really love this nog recipe.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I've got a bunch of pork spareribs I need to use up. I'm a little bbq'd out, and I'd like something that I can throw in the crockpot all day on Sunday while I wrench on cars. Any ideas?

Sear em off and then let em do their thing in the pot with some sauerkraut and a bottle of beer all day. Maybe a handful of caraway and some peppercorns.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Camembert posted:

I'm making a baguette recipe, but I just realised that it makes two loaves. It's already gone through the first rise, and the recipe now calls for me to punch it down, form it into two loaves, and let it rise again. If I want to freeze one of the two loaves, should I bake both then freeze one, or freeze one now, or freeze after they've risen...? Bake partway? I'm very new to this bread thing.

Just cut off the second portion, oil, wrap and freeze.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Oxford Comma posted:

There's lots of good roasting recipes, but make sure you brine it before you roast it.

Or not. I've brined maybe one chicken in my time, and I've never thought "hey, this roast chicken of mine really should have been brined" while eating my non-brined chickens.

Edit: I made this chicken last week. It's simple and delicious.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm planning on completely deboning and stuffing the turkey for thanksgiving this year. It's just over 20 pounds whole, and I'm wondering if anyone had a clue as to a general cook time for such a thing? Three hours maybe?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Doesnt look like oyu're shaping right. Are you rolling it out, folding in thirds and laying the seam on the bottom? That seems to make the best looking loaves for me.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Edit: instead of trying to describe it, here is a video that is just about what my technique is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_3zBaKkxMY

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Happy Abobo posted:

Ahh, ok. The recipe rises quite quickly: about an hour and a half to more than double it's size on the first rise. I was doing about an hour for the second rise, should I lengthen that? Should the second rise be longer than the first? I always thought it was supposed to be shorter, but in retrospect, I don't know why I think that. :(

I don't go by a set time for rises, I judge off of volume. The second should double as much as the first. It's usually a shorter period, but doesn't necessarily end up that way.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Enentol posted:

If you're super lazy and also have a cache of junk food, just pour some salsa over top and throw them on a baking sheet into the oven. 400 degrees, until done. Probably about 20 minutes.

If they have the skin still, sear them in a pan first to get it all crispy, and then toss them in the oven. It'll cut down on cooking time as well.

:catstare:

If you sear the skin then cover it with salsa, it's not gonna stay crispy buddy.

Anyway, butterfly them, dredge them in some flour seasoned with salt, pepper, some cayenne, and then sear it off in a pan, then toss in a 400F oven for like 15 minutes tops.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Surprisingly, the one on the back of the tollhouse pack of chocolate chips is pretty good.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sounds close to the sauce that goes onto korean fried chicken. It is vaguely ssamjang in nature, that is chili and black bean sauce with garlic, sesame oil, and some brown sugar.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jose posted:

This is somewhat last minute but my dad wants a cleaver for his birthday. I've found various things within my price range but can anyone recommend what I should go for in terms of weight etc? He wants a wood handle I know that much. Unfortunately it has to come from online.

I have two of these in the No. 4 blade size. They're cheap as hell and own bones.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

plaindot posted:

I need good pastry cream recipe, the ones i've had tend to have this weird aftertaste... any ideas?

quote:

Orange Pastry Cream

1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs, plus an extra yolk
2tbs flour
2tsp vanilla extract
Zest of 1 orange

In a sauce pan over medium heat, bring the cream to a slight simmer, removing from heat when bubbles start to form around the edges. You don’t want to boil you cream, just heat it.

In a separate bowl, whisk the sugar, eggs and yolk, and flour until well combined and slightly frothy.

While continuing to whisk the egg mixture, add the cream about 1 tbs at a time. This is called tempering and basically, it’s a way to avoid turning your pastry cream into scrambled eggs. Once your have added about half the cream a tbs at a time, pour the rest in slowly and whisk until well combined.

Return the pastry cream to the stove and stir over medium/high heat until it comes to a rapid simmer. Continue to whisk until thickened, between 5 and 10 minutes. The cream should leave a track when you drag the whisk through it.

Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and orange zest. This needs to cool before putting into a piping bag, a cake or your mouth. Pour into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing it to the surface of the cream.

Just take out the orange zest and you have a regular pastry cream. Also, pass it through a strainer if you want a finer texture.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

OdinsBeard posted:

I was thinking about picking up an electric knife for my turkey. Any sub-$20 recommendations? Most of the ones on amazon for less than $20 have a lot of poor reviews, and even the more expensive ones aren't stellar. I was thinking just spending $10 on a cheap Black and Decker.

:catstare: No don't. Just buy a $10 victorinoix slicer and cut turkey like a real person instead of shredding through it with an electric one.

Edit: so I had this one in mind, but apparently the prize went up or amazon is overcharging. I got mine for $10 at my restaurant store in town.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 18, 2011

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Shred finely and mix with a mustardy viniagrette and let chill in the fridge for a couple hours. A bit of radish and carrot and red onion is nice in it too.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Makes pommes pave.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Zeitgueist posted:

Thank you for the warning. I'm also looking for a good stuffing recipe, as I've never made any before. Is there a Thanksgiving thread I'm missing?

Yes.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Make two loaves of dough up, oil and wrap the second in plastic wrap and freeze for the next time you want bread.

Edit: what FGM said too. That's aloooot of yeast.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm FGR you noob.

FML

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Simmer, don't boil stocks.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

freshly toasted english muffin, big knob of butter, and a light smear of vegemite.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

^^^ For pork chops, my go-to preparation is to sear em off in a hot pan and toss in the oven to cook to 160F. Then rest em, make a mushroom pan sauce with a bit of brandy or whiskey, and serve with some steamed green beans.

ChetReckless posted:

I just recently got a pressure cooker in the hopes that I can expand the range of stuff I can cook relatively quickly after my girlfriend and I get off work later in the evening.

Stews and soups come quickly to mind, but are there any dishes that you folks find particularly lend themselves to a pressure cooker?

Beans and lentils rock in a pressure cooker. 20 minutes instead of an hour and a half? Yes please.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Tazolol posted:

SO I tried to make beer cheese soup last night in my slow cooker. The flavor turned out really good, but instead of melting nicely the cheese I used just clumped. Do you guys know a better way to make this?

You need to incorporate the cheese slower and at a lower temp. You're basically making a mornay and cheese will curdle/clump easily if you have the heat too high when adding it. There's really no reason to cook a beer cheese soup in a slow cooker, since it's not gonna benefit from a long cook time. Just do it in a pot and pull it off the heat when you fold the cheese in.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Make mayo

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Chemmy posted:

USDA lowered their guideline for cooking pork to 145F. Please don't cook your pork chops into shoe leather.

Derp, I have no idea why I typed 160. I always pull chops at 140.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I usually finish chops in the oven at 400F or so. It's kinda like the dual heat method for cooking steaks, just let em temp for 5-8 minutes in the oven after searing off.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sooooooooooo...I picked up a jackfruit today on a whim and I realized I have no idea what to do with it. It is frozen, and I think it is a mature ripe one. Although, I'm not entirely sure how to tell. Anyway, wtf do I do with the thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

eat it

hate you